PDA

View Full Version : Captain Al'Rahem - How do you use him?

DoctorEvil
09-22-2009, 08:08 PM
I've been struggling with how to properly use Captain Al'Rahem (or Captain Albert Rahem as he'll be called when I finally paint an old Col. Shaeffer mini I have) in an IG list.

The syngergy of being able to keep and entire Infantry Platoon in reserve and Outflank with them and the Bring it Down! order is appealing to me. Yet, I've seen very few lists that use him, and very little commentary on how to effectively use him. I'm assuming most think his point cost is prohibtive, yet it seems to me that a properly outfitted Infantry Platoon that Outflanks (with the use of an Astropath in the CCS) could be a game changer.

My intial though is to put the Captains Command Squad in a Chimera, add a couple of no frills platoon squads, and max-out my Heavy Weapons Squads with Lascannons and Autocannons.

SandWyrm
09-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I've been struggling with how to properly use Captain Al'Rahem (or Captain Albert Rahem as he'll be called when I finally paint an old Col. Shaeffer mini I have) in an IG list.

The syngergy of being able to keep and entire Infantry Platoon in reserve and Outflank with them and the Bring it Down! order is appealing to me. Yet, I've seen very few lists that use him, and very little commentary on how to effectively use him. I'm assuming most think his point cost is prohibtive, yet it seems to me that a properly outfitted Infantry Platoon that Outflanks (with the use of an Astropath in the CCS) could be a game changer.

My intial though is to put the Captains Command Squad in a Chimera, add a couple of no frills platoon squads, and max-out my Heavy Weapons Squads with Lascannons and Autocannons.

For me it's not a points cost thing. It's that you ALWAYS have to outflank with him, whether you want to or not. If he gave his platoon infiltrate or scout instead, I'd use him in every single game. But having 3 units of 200 pts. minimum that always outflanks just isn't that useful. And in the 2 games I've seen him used in, he came in on the opposite side of the board from the rest of his platoon, making his orders useless.

Which sucks because I'm a Tallarn player and have had a very nicely painted model of him for 10 years. :)

Jwolf
09-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I found that he works well with Straken pushing up that side of the board. I give Al'Rahem 2x Infantry Squads, 2x Special Weapons Squads. My Straken is a Luther Macintyre version instead of Catachan, which makes them fit together nicely.

That said, using Al'Rahem means committing yourself in a way that is disadvantageous or mostly ignoring him, which is even sadder. I find him hard to use efficiently.

And yes, I have an old Al'Rahem that has been my Colonel for a long time. Now he spends a lot more time in the box than on the field, doubly sad.

DoctorEvil
09-23-2009, 04:07 AM
And in the 2 games I've seen him used in, he came in on the opposite side of the board from the rest of his platoon, making his orders useless.

I hadn't even thought of that. Since each unit has to make it's own outflank roll, the odds of the having the platoon split are pretty darn good, especially with a big platoon. Even with the Astropath, you just won't get the entire platoon on the same board edge with any consistency.

That pretty much means that the Captain will probably end up assigned to only Apocalypse duty in my army :(

Crawfskeezen
07-24-2011, 01:16 PM
And in the 2 games I've seen him used in, he came in on the opposite side of the board from the rest of his platoon, making his orders useless.:)

The codex states otherwise on pg. 96 under the Infantry Platoon heading in which it details the number of squads comprising the platoon. They'll all come in on the same side so no problems there. Just don't put squads in Chimeras if you want to use orders on them.

chicop76
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
The problem I've found is what do you do if your squads come in on the wrong side.

1. The PCS is boss and I have extra bring it down a must in a Chimera
2. SWS I've found work really well with the ability to throw demo charges, very cheap squad which I normally give them two flamers and a demo charge. I also give them grenade launchers for some range strength 6 shots as well. To be honest I usally mix these squads when I can, but it hurts if they show up on the wrong end of the board.
3. I've done the 30 man squad with a commissar on the outflank which does pretty well in combat. Now I feel that chimeras does it justice in case they show up on the wrong side they still have the mobility and range to do something.
4. I wouldn't bother with any heavy weapons teams, they can't do anything on the turn they come in and better off in a differant platoon.

I use him a few times and this is what I noticed.
1. Depending on how big your platoon is a big hunk of your army is not in play.
2. I feel like I have to mech up my squads, which I don't like doing, although I don't mind my squads providing empty chimeras for my sws.
3. I like heavy weapons in my squads and feel limited.
4. Paying almost 100 points to do what you want and that can be two chimeras, etc.
5. Works well with outflanking sentinels and russ backing up the platoon.
6. You have a 66.66% chance for your squads to show up where you need them.

Tynskel
07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
For me it's not a points cost thing. It's that you ALWAYS have to outflank with him, whether you want to or not. If he gave his platoon infiltrate or scout instead, I'd use him in every single game. But having 3 units of 200 pts. minimum that always outflanks just isn't that useful. And in the 2 games I've seen him used in, he came in on the opposite side of the board from the rest of his platoon, making his orders useless.

Which sucks because I'm a Tallarn player and have had a very nicely painted model of him for 10 years. :)

Well, the entire platoon enters from the same board edge.

2nd, I don't understand your statement: are all of the squads independently 200 points? What are you doing spending so many points on 10 guys that are T3 and 5+ armor!

chicop76
07-24-2011, 01:55 PM
The codex states otherwise on pg. 96 under the Infantry Platoon heading in which it details the number of squads comprising the platoon. They'll all come in on the same side so no problems there. Just don't put squads in Chimeras if you want to use orders on them.

No they won't. Even though it's 1 troop choice they have to all roll different to come in. It's the same if they where in reserves etc. Unless you delcare combined squads it doesn't change the fact you have multiple unit's that take up a troop choice. You determine by unit and not by the platoon as a whole.

Tynskel
07-24-2011, 02:03 PM
As for how to use them:

1) ~1/3 of your army points should be Al'rheam. If you are spending more, you are risking not having enough men on the board to soak up fire while waiting for the platoon to enter. Any less, and Al'Rheam is not very effective.

2) a second platoon would be wise, just for the bodies. Keep them 'cheap'. Use them to claim in your 'home' territory.

3) You want to give the Al'Rheam platoon Krak Grenades. this will discourage your opponent from having tanks along the side board edge. This is also important because you want the enemy transports also to be far enough away that they cannot 'counter' charge you when you enter the board, and if not, you run up and blow them up with your grenades.

4) scout walkers maybe advantageous to enhance your outflanking

Essentially, Al'Rheam should be a distraction for your opponent. His rules are designed for harassment. You will not 'win' games because of Al'Rheam, but instead, the rest of your army does that. Al'Rheam is supposed to cause problems for your opponent, so the rest of your army can accomplish the mission.

Tynskel
07-24-2011, 02:24 PM
No they won't. Even though it's 1 troop choice they have to all roll different to come in. It's the same if they where in reserves etc. Unless you delcare combined squads it doesn't change the fact you have multiple unit's that take up a troop choice. You determine by unit and not by the platoon as a whole.

That is incorrect. The rules state that you make one roll for reserves for the entire platoon.

chicop76
07-24-2011, 03:16 PM
That is incorrect. The rules state that you make one roll for reserves for the entire platoon.

Where are you getting that. Stalk the Enemy just state the platoon must outflank. Pg 64 guard codex

For the reserve rules the term units is used. Pg 94

For outflank the term units is used again. Pg. 94

The term units is defined. Pg. 3

Back in the guard book Infantry Platoon takes up a troop choice, but is not a unit. Pg 96

Last paragraph of Force Org Chart states " sometimes a single choice... select more than one unit... read it carefully" pg. 87

With that logic you're saying 1 platoon is 1 kill point, because it's one big unit.

So tell me where in the rules it allows you to roll the whole platoon with one roll.

Wildcard
07-24-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah, p.96 "Each infantry Platoon couts as a single Troops choice on the force organisation chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves"

Meaning: One Roll to rule them all, One Roll to find them,
One Roll to bring them all and to the table bind them.

:)

Tynskel
07-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the units of a platoon act independently once they are on the board, but until they are on the board, the entire platoon is rolled/deployed for collectively.