PDA

View Full Version : An Ordo Malleus fun army - meant as a painting project

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-21-2012, 01:59 AM
Hey everyone,

So I decided that I wanted to paint a nice shiny army as a future project, so I've gone with the Ordo Malleus.
Now, before the neckbeards and trolls enter hear this, THIS IS NOT A COMPETITIVE ARMY.
It is simply a painting project than CAN be fielded as a playable army.

So here's a 1500 point list

Inquisitor Kaylum Silas (counts as Coteaz) - 100
Brother-Librarian Jerrol, 2 Servo Skulls, Might of Titan - 170
Eversor Assassin XXIII - 130
10 Warrior Acolytes, Carapace Armour, 5 Hot-shot Lasguns, 2 Meltaguns, Chimera - 180
10 Warrior Acolytes, Carapace Armour, 5 Hot-shot Lasguns, 2 Meltaguns, Chimera - 180
10 Terminators, 8 Halberds, 2 Daemon Hammers, Brotherhood Banner, 2 Psycannons - 485
Dreadnought, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition - 135
Dreadnought, 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition - 135
Should be amusing to play with... and even better to paint.

An extract that I'm working on:

The Inquisitor was stood on a ruined balcony, overlooking a desolate city. The sky was no longer a clear blue, but instead; a blackened horizon with streaks of crimson lightning. He could no longer recognise this hellish landscape – the world of Peruses IV. He felt something constantly scratching at the back of his mind, like a kind of relentless parasite.
+ My Lord Silas + whispered the voice in his head, a calm and collected voice.
+ Proceed Librarian. +
+ My brothers and I continue to hold the plaza, I don’t know how long it will be until our position is overrun. Have you reached a consensus? +
+ Indeed, this is a lost world. Await extraction orders. +
With that, the pressure inside his head stopped. Kaylum Silas turned to the map stretched out over the table of his makeshift command base. A Stormtrooper was stood there, arms folded.
‘The moral threat continues to pursue us, they will capture the plaza soon’ Silas began, with a hint of defeat
‘Really? The enemy is more powerful than we originally anticipated.’
‘Sergeant Regus, we must commence with an evacuation. Order all units to retreat to the roof, and call for the Thunderhawk.’
‘By your command, my Lord.’ Regus turned away to start ordering his men.
With a sigh, Silas walked out of the room. As he traversed down empty corridors and crumbling stairways, he could hear the sound of bolter fire and inhuman shrieks. This world had such promise, he noted. In the main lobby of the government building he could see the valiant and noble sons of Titan holding resolute against a horde of Daemons, the Grey Knights were the only reinforcements that could be located to help this world.
As Silas walked closer towards the scene he saw an immense Daemon get cleaved in two by a halberd from a Grey Knight Brother, and a roar of victory cried out across the plaza.

plawolf
05-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Why not take psycannons on your terminators? Incinerators on them is a total waste and will massively handicap your list.

Something else to consider is having 5 crusaders in each of your squads. Combat squad and have two 5 men stormshield walls walking in front of your termies or chimeras dishing out cover saves would be amusing and go a long way towards helping you deal with the fact that you only have two chimeras in a 1.5k list. Chances are, if you just drive them forward, they will get immobilized/destroyed very early in the game, and those carapace armour sets will not keep your guys alive for long after that.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Can you Combat Squad with Acolytes?
Also, how many points are Crusaders?

I didn't have the spare points, could drop the Meltas from the Stormtrooper squads though...

celestialatc
05-21-2012, 06:45 AM
You can't combat squad Henchmen.

Cursaders are 15 points each.

And you can start by saving on getting rid of some of the hotshot las guns. You are spending 80 points (40 in each unit) for guns that you will only fire 3 to 5 of during most of the game, since I assume you will leave the acolytes in the transport most of the game.

Since you will only be firing 3 to 5 (since when you are in 12" you will only be firing 3 with 2 meltas) just buy 5. That will save you 15 points on each squad. Drop the incinerators for an extra 10 points. Maybe drop 2 servo skulls (are you DSing the terminators? If not, there is no need for the servo skulls really) and there you go, 50 points for your psycannons.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
I didn't think that you could combat squad.
I was planning on DS-ing, yes. But that may be a terrible idea. (it fits with the story that I'm working on above however)

So if I drop 3 Hot-shot Lasguns from each squad, the Incinerators on the Terminators, then I'm tempted to drop Quicksilver (Halberds don't need it) and a Skull from the Librarian, and then I can take the 2 Psycannons.

plawolf
05-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Bummer, never notice henchman can't combat squad, just as well I never tried it. Although I might know they can't if I have given it serious thought. Never mind, still epic fail on my part.

Now that you have the psycannon issue resolved, I still think your reliance on Chimeras is going to be an issue. Your game plan is largely dependent on them getting where you want to pop the homer and bring in your termies. You know it, and your opponent will know it, so he is going to prioritize on your Chimeras (hard not to really, with them and the dreads being the only thing you will start on the table), and at 1.5K, you would just not expect those Chimeras to last long enough to get anywhere close to where you would want them to be to bring down your termies.

How set are you on using the Librarian?

I would almost be tempted to swop him for Mordrak and ghost termies to get the 'first into the fray' first term, no scatter DS. You loose out on the pscyannons. That is the biggest drawback to playing Mordrak, but that might be worth it in this case as you would be in CC most of the time anyways, and it is a far more reliable to effective delivery method.

That also saves you some points to spend on other goodies, so maybe bump the number of meltas in the henchmen squads to 3, or add a plasma gun instead.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
It's not really a reliance, this is an army based from a story that I'm writing.

I'll have a look into the list tonight, may swap it around a bit.

celestialatc
05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I didn't think that you could combat squad.
I was planning on DS-ing, yes. But that may be a terrible idea. (it fits with the story that I'm working on above however)

So if I drop 3 Hot-shot Lasguns from each squad, the Incinerators on the Terminators, then I'm tempted to drop Quicksilver (Halberds don't need it) and a Skull from the Librarian, and then I can take the 2 Psycannons.

Good point, you could save on not having Quicksilver.

I only really DS my terminators now when I have max psycannons in a squad. That massed Str 7 shooting can really do some damage when you get lucky and have your terminators landing where you want them.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
So with the situation now, where I have 2 Psycannons in the unit, would DS be advisable??