PDA

View Full Version : Smoke & Vehicle squads

RocketRollRebel
09-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Hey there all, just had a quick question. If you have a squad of 2 vehicles (lets say hellhounds) and only one uses its smoke launchers. Do both vehicles benefit from the cover save since half the squad is obscured?

Thanks and sorry if this was already asked.

Bunny
09-23-2009, 03:03 AM
I would say yes, because the rules state that vehicle squadrons use the same rules as normal units when determining if the whole unit counts as being in cover.

Abominable Plague Marine
09-23-2009, 03:57 AM
The answer is no.

because the rules state that vehicle squadrons use the same rules as normal units when determining if the whole unit counts as being in cover.

Im not sure what you were reading. it says "use the rules for vehicles to determine if each squadron member is in cover (ignoring other members of the squadron, as if they were not there)".

Bunny
09-23-2009, 04:08 AM
I was reading the next line after your quote ;)

"and then the rules for normal units to work out if the entire squadron is in cover or not."

Abominable Plague Marine
09-23-2009, 04:37 AM
haha.............well played sir! By that same statement though, if one vehicle fired smoke launchers, would the other be able to shoot?

mercer
09-23-2009, 05:30 AM
I would say no. If the unit is granted cover by using 50% of the unit is in cover, and the cover is granted by smoke launchers it says they cannot fire. So if you want to fire smoke and get cover for both tanks, then you cannot fire both of them.

RocketRollRebel
09-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I would say no. If the unit is granted cover by using 50% of the unit is in cover, and the cover is granted by smoke launchers it says they cannot fire. So if you want to fire smoke and get cover for both tanks, then you cannot fire both of them.

Thank you for the clarification! I thought about it the other day in a game when using my banewolfs. I figured that I couldn't fire tho even if it was only one vehicle that poped smoke.

Jwolf
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
And I would say yes. Works pretty well to through one closer, moving fast and smoked

SeattleDV8
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
The one that popped smoke would be unable to fire, the other would be free to fire.
It would be no different if one member of the squadron was shaken, it would not effect other vehicles.

MikhailLenin
09-24-2009, 01:56 AM
By RAW, I believe that it is clear, that if 50% of the Vehicle Squad is "Obscured" (Being 50% or more) than the whole squadron is obscured. So by that logic, there is nothing to contradict that 1 of 2 Vehicle in a squadron popping smoke grants the over vehicle an obscure save.

Bunny
09-24-2009, 02:20 AM
I agree with SeattleDV8, the vehicle that did not use its smoke launchers would be able to fire normally, without conferring a cover save to the enemy.

Abominable Plague Marine
09-24-2009, 03:41 AM
So it would be able to benefit from the other vehicles Smoke Launchers and can still fire?

Nabterayl
09-24-2009, 03:50 AM
Yes. As long as the two vehicles were in a squadron, that is.