PDA

View Full Version : Avatars of War: Dwarf Army Project

Brakkart
05-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Seems AoW have started up a pseudo-kickstarter project on Indiegogo to fund the creation of a full Dwarf Army for their forthcoming Warthrone miniatures battle game. Looks rather interesting and it seems that even if this doesn't work out, a whole load of dwarves are coming from them from August 2012 through to Jan 2013 anyway, but they have plans for some cool units that they would like to make in addition (including an all female regiment and a unit of War Bears!) More info can be found here. (http://www.indiegogo.com/aow-dwarfs)

Wildeybeast
05-27-2012, 02:42 PM
This seems like a great idea, you get to help fund the army and get stuff in return. And for those with bags of cash just taking up space at home you can get some fantastic perks. I won't be investing as I don;t really want any dwarfs, but if they do a project like this in future for an army I like, I'll definitely stump up some cash.

One question though, how secure is this Indiegogo? I've never heard of it, so how secure is your investment? Would you get your money back if for whatever reason AoW doesn't deliver the goods?

Brakkart
05-27-2012, 02:54 PM
From what I can tell Indiegogo is exactly like Kickstarter which is pretty good. If a project doesn't meet it's minimum funding levels ($20k in this case) then nobody pays anything. Whether it is as good as Kickstarter is an open question, crowdsourcing is fast becoming the in-vogue way to fund projects and bypass traditional venture capitalists but I am a bit dubious about a site that has so blatantly copied another site. I do wonder why AoW didn't just use Kickstarter for this, as they have by far the better name recognition.

I have no interest in Dwarves either, but I'll follow this project with interest to see how it goes, as if they make a success of it, it's likely they will use it again for other armies/projects in the future, some of which might be more my thing.

As for AoW though, considering they have yet to be able to up production of their Warcast resin/plastic minis enough to put the Warriors of Apocalypse box sets in retail stores (they are still only available via their own web store), I cannot help but wonder if they are not biting off more than they can handle with adding an armies worth of additional sets to their workload in the next 7 months.

eldargal
05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I might donate a little, jsut to encourage them to do the same wwith Dark Elves one day.

Brakkart
05-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Seems to be doing okay, the total is at $2,395 at the time of writing, which means they've already passed their first goal. 29 days left to go to hit their $20k goal.

eldargal
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Up 500 since I last checked this morning.

Brakkart
05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Hmmm considering backing this myself now, as while I have little interest in Dwarves as an army, someone on the AoW forums feels the same way and asked if instead of Dwarves, he could take his pledge reward regiment boxes in Warriors of the Apocalypse regiments instead. Felix replied to say that that would be okay. Been tempted by their Apoc Warrior boxes for a while now... my piggybanks days might be numbered!

The drive is going well it seems, up by $800 in the last day to a total now of $3,275 with 28 days still to go.

eldargal
06-03-2012, 08:37 AM
5960 of the 20k minimum to receive funding with 26 days left to go, looks like it will make it. I'm conflicted. I don't really any more Dwarves, nor am I interested in their current Chaos warriors (apparently they will let you take them instead of Dwarves for pledges if you like). But I do want this kickstarter thing to succeed so they will do more. I'd pledge a heck of a lot of they did one for a high female army like their Dark/High Elves.

wittdooley
06-03-2012, 08:53 AM
I have no need for the dwarves either, but I really want this to succeed. Which is why im sad it's not on Kick Starter. I think it will fund at the minimum but these guys do such good work I want it to fund more than just the minimum.

Still, I'll probably plunge for $100 or so just because their models are so good.

eldargal
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Someone on Warseer said as a non-US company they aren't eligible for Kickstarter, so bit of a shame. I'm thinking I might just pledge one hundred or something too, like you I really want it to succeed. Just a shame they didn't have an Elf regiment already available or something.

Edit: I'd love to see the Valkyries go into production I have to admit, but 48500 is a loong way off.

Brakkart
06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
I think if instead of doing all of one army, they had set this out as "we want to make these regiment boxes and we need your funding to make it happen" and then had a mix of boxes, to go with the champion figures they already do, so Dwarves, but also Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs etc and focused perhaps more on the types that GW don't have in plastics (cos lets face it, most people use AoW figures in their GW armies, so might as well use that for now) they would have gotten a lot more interest as people would want the total to reach the target set for their armies box to be made.

Nightstalker
06-06-2012, 04:29 AM
i like that idea Brakkart, im not the least bit interested in Dwarves so not really a reason to pledge money for that. If they had some more different units to offer i might be interested in it.

Brakkart
06-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I get the feeling that this is going to fail to reach their $20k goal. It's been running for 17 days now, has 15 left to go and they aren't even over the half way mark yet as the total is at $9,605 right now. If they don't reach the minimum funding level of $20k then they get nothing at all. I think focusing entirely on one army was a mistake. I'd love to be proved wrong, but as things stand I don't think I will be.

Wildeybeast
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I think they also picked a tricky army, Dwarfs aren't a particularly big seller for GW and are in need of an update to the army book. They may also have set their goal too high. Still, they can always do it again with less ambitious targets, safe in the knowledge there are interested parties willing to invest.

Chronowraith
06-12-2012, 04:14 PM
While I think you are right that dwarves aren't big sellers... I think the timing on this line is fantastic. Rumor still has Dwarves in the pipeline for WFB sometime in 2013 if I recall correctly. If AoW times things right they could already have an established high-quality line by release of any new army book.

Verilance
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM
It is sad that people have pledged $85,000 to Mantic for their average miniatures and only $9000 to a company that has sculpts of AoW's quality

Brakkart
06-15-2012, 04:40 PM
They have hit $11,000 now with 11 days left to go and to try and drum up more interest and pledges AoW have changed the line-up of pledge rewards. I'm actually rather tempted to have a go at $20 lottery prize, as it currently has no takers. I'll wait until near the end, but if there's only a few going for it then $20 for a shot at winning 1 of every future AoW product (postage included!) is gonna be hard to resist.

Brakkart
06-20-2012, 01:41 AM
Changing the perks on offer seems to have given this a much needed kick up the bum as with 7 days left to go they are now at $14,750. Sadly they had to remove the raffle ticket perk as it's against Indiegogo's policies, but AoW are honouring the few that had picked that option and should the project be funded, one of those will win the prize that was on offer. Which I think is pretty decent of them. Just kinda narked off that I'm not in that draw! :(

eldargal
06-20-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm getting some art.:) Well technically a friend is getting me some art to pay back something she owes me for but the end result is the same.:rolleyes: Still undecided about pledging some myself for miniatures, will see how it goes closer to the end date.

eldargal
06-20-2012, 10:21 AM
From the AoW kickstarter comments (via warseer)

Mark said 3 days ago
What army do you guys plan on doing next via this? shame I’m a bit skint at the moment because the tour sounded interesting, you guys plan on doing something like that again?

atars of War said 1 day ago
Mark, probably Dark Elves, but not sure yet…

Thanks so much for all the new contributions! It will be a close call at the end, but really hope we make it!
*squee*

The pledge campaign is doing really well, in the last 24 hours they have gone from needing to raise 780USD a day to needing 592USD a day.

Edit: Ha, another 200 pledged in the last ten minutes, down to 565 a day.

wittdooley
06-20-2012, 02:04 PM
So if I pledge, EG, what minis should I request?

Brakkart
06-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah AoW have a poll currently live on their Facebook page where they asked people to vote for which army they want AoW to do next. As it stands ratings:

1. Barbarians - 16 votes
2. More Dwarves - 11 votes
3. Lizardmen - 9 votes
4. Dark Elves - 6 votes
5. Undead - 3 votes
6. Vermin/Skaven, Elves, Hordes of the Apocalypse and Orcs & Goblins - 2 votes each
7. Apoc Dwarves - 1 vote each

I doubt that the More Dwarves vote will be taken seriously though, but that still leaves Dark Elves needing more votes lest they lose out to Barbarians or Lizardmen. Considering that AoW's Barbarian army for their Warthrone game includes humans and ogres, it could be an interesting army, but in light of the stupid prices now for GW's dark elf range, I think AoW could have far more success with a line of them.

eldargal
06-22-2012, 11:14 AM
New pledge added, 15USD gets you a kickstarter campaign exclusive Dwarf standard bearer. Also only 2400 needed in 5 days.

wittdooley
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm in if he does one of two things: Includes the exclusive bearer as part of one of the $95 Plus packages (which he should be doing anyway) or allows you to count it as 5 of your 100 dwarves (obviously, I don't think it's worth 5 of them, but hey, I'm a reasonable guy).

In the future, someone needs to school this talented sculptor on how to run his KS more efficiently.

Brakkart
06-22-2012, 02:05 PM
AoW have posted in the Comments section on their drive that you can include the Standard Bearer in another package by either overpaying by $15 for that perk and sending them an email to let them, know, or have it count as 5 models from that perks selection.

Yeah I imagine they will have learned a lot of lessons about how to run one of these campaigns from this one, so hopefully when they do the next one it should be a lot better organised. Does look like they will get their funding now though, the $15 ltd edition standard bearer is a great idea. Next time they should do more perks like that.

They just passed the $18,500 needed for the 5 elite Treasure Hunters unit. I would like to see them hit the amount for the Bear Warriors before it finishes.

energongoodie
06-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Someone on Warseer said as a non-US company they aren't eligible for Kickstarter, ...

There's plenty of stuff on Kickstarter that isn't based in Yank Land isn't there? :confused:

Brakkart
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
There's plenty of stuff on Kickstarter that isn't based in Yank Land isn't there? :confused:

Yeah I don't get why they couldn't have used Kickstarter either, there's loads of non-US companies that use it. I go to the main page there and because I'm in the UK it shows me a bunch of projects based in my country.

Brakkart
06-22-2012, 05:02 PM
They've just passed the $20 k mark, so this will be funded. 4 days left to go, so it will be interesting to see how much higher the total gets before the end.

eldargal
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't know, that was just the reason given on Warseer.:)

Edit: Yay, pleased it is going ahead! Now ifit would jut each 48500 so I can get some balkyries.

eldargal
06-23-2012, 09:50 AM
It's just a shade under 22000 now.

wittdooley
06-24-2012, 07:14 AM
24k. Bear Warriors are a go.

So if I pledge this, does anyone have any suggestions on which models I should take?

Brakkart
06-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I'd go for the unit types you can't get from GW for starters, so the ltd edition standard bearer, the living ancestor statues, bear warriors and treasure hunters. And if they hit the $26k goal, then the dwarf king on war bear kit is a must!

wittdooley
06-24-2012, 08:32 AM
You are right on with what I was thinking.

Does GW do plastic iron breakers?

Brakkart
06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
You are right on with what I was thinking.

Does GW do plastic iron breakers?

Nope, the Hammerers, Longbeards and Iron Breakers are all still metal figures from GW so those units would be good to grab too.

Brakkart
06-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Gotta say I like the description AoW have posted up for what the Bear Warriors are:

A Dwarf Berserker has to pass the initiation rite to become a Bear warrior, killing a Great War bear in a single fight using only a pair of bear claws as weapon. Most Berserkers will end up teared to pieces, the victorious ones will eat the bear’s heart to capture its spirit, and dress with the bear’s fur from now on in battle.

So basically an entire unit made up of what would be Giant/Dragon/Daemon Slayers in Warhammer, draped in bear skins and wielding claws like Wolverine? Awesome!

wittdooley
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Lord on Bear just funded. Booyah.

eldargal
06-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Still 300 away from teh Lord on Bear from what I'm seeing, they will get it though. Somehow I doubt they are going to make it to Valkyries.:(

Brakkart
06-25-2012, 08:29 AM
No they have got enough for the King on Bear EG, it's the Bear Lord (I'm guessing a character model of the bear warriors) that's not quite there yet, though just $90 to go now. With regards to the mix of models you can pick from for your perk, Felix has added this to the comments:

Many of you have asked to exchange 5 minis of a perk for heroes. Sure! If you are interested in adding to your perk any of the AoW existing heroes (Dwarfs or not), you can exhange 5 minis of your perk for a hero.
For example, on the 100 minis perk, you can get 90 minis and two heroes.

Again a nice idea, that I'm sure will make its way into their next one of these kickstarters and should make their next effort a much bigger success.

And yeah, doesn't look like the Valkyries are gonna make it, but it is a good idea for a unit for their game, something unique to Warthrone, so with luck they'll make it at some point.

eldargal
06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Weird, mine was showing them 300 under until a couple of minutes ago despite refreshing it often.

Brakkart
06-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Browser cache's are weird indeed. They've just passed the amount for the Bear Lord now, $3.5k to Pathfinders. $21k to Valkyries though... they might make the Bear Cavalry unit however, which would be pretty cool.

wittdooley
06-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Its because you're british.

I'm in for $125, and with it (at this point) I plan on getting:

Standard Bearer
Dwarf King on Bear (5 models)
Dwarf Bear Lord (5 models)
Treasure Hunters (10 models)
Bear Warriors (10 Models)
Doomcrushers (20 models)

I think this will cover a good spectrum of models that GW does not carry (not to mention they'll all certainly look amazing).

Thoughts on that selection?

Brakkart
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Seems a pretty good mix to me. I think I'd go for much the same if I was spending that amount, though I'd pick the Iron Guard instead of Doomcrushers cos 1. I've always liked sword and shield units and 2. The name is better.

Hmm actually not sure I'd take the Bear Lord cos that would then give me 11 Bear Warriors (including him), reckon I'd take the Living Ancestor golems instead.

Really hoping that the King on War Bear is amazing. I did use to like the look of Scibor's War Bear mount right up until Eldargal in another thread (I believe in the 40k section) mentioned how much like a hamster it looks and now I can't see it as anything but a giant hamster.

wittdooley
06-25-2012, 09:29 AM
Do you know if Felix mentioned how many models the human ancestors would count as?

Brakkart
06-25-2012, 09:45 AM
i know war machines and characters count at 5, I'd have to think they would too, bloody great animated stone statues certainly strike me as going under the heading of war machine, but it might be worth asking on the projects comments board anyway just to be sure.

eldargal
06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Up to 32k, 6k short of the next stretch goal with 16 hours left. I doubt they will make it but who knows, there may be a late flurry of pledges from people leaving it to the last minute.

In comparison Manics kickstarter project earnt them 350k, though theirs was much more extensive and better organised. Hopefully AoW will learn from their experiences and the next one they do will be much more successful.:)

Skeith154
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
heh, wonder if GW will notice and spawn a new set of dwarves following this?

wittdooley
06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Up to 32k, 6k short of the next stretch goal with 16 hours left. I doubt they will make it but who knows, there may be a late flurry of pledges from people leaving it to the last minute.

In comparison Manics kickstarter project earnt them 350k, though theirs was much more extensive and better organised. Hopefully AoW will learn from their experiences and the next one they do will be much more successful.:)

Yeah, but then there's the whole "don't care for many of the Mantic models thing..." :D Plus, the 'grab bag' notion of the campaign was....I guess...okay, but so many of the freebies I'd have absolutely no interest in.

The Kickstarter campaigns seems to do better anyways. Further, Indiegogo makes it quite hard to adjust your pledge (you can't change your pledge at all...which sucks) so if you decide you want to up your pledge, you have to make a whole new pledge. It's quite cumbersome.

I hope in the future they simply use Kickstarter. It's so much easier to use. The only plus Indiegogo has going for it right now is that it accepts PayPal, while Kickstarter does not.

I should probably investigate the GW dwarf rules more so I can determine what exactly I'd want to get in order to field a decent army.

eldargal
06-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh quite, I mean I liked the Mantic Celestian concept art (battle nuns) but at this point I have little faith in their ability to deliver decent sculpts based upon it. Their Twilight Assassin had lovely concept art but the execution was offensively bad, their Forgefathrs had terrible concept art but the models themselves are quite decent.

Skeith154
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
So, they require bad concept art to produce decent miniatures? odd.

eldargal
06-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I think the correlation is accidental.:p Inconsisten results is the key, not willing to pledge when I'm not sure they can deliver. I didn't even pldge for models ('cept the LE Dorf flagwaver) from AoW simply because sometimes I don't like the models they produce (DE Queen, Vampiress, Wood Elf ho)

Skeith154
06-26-2012, 09:24 AM
i didn't mind the Dark Elf queen or the vampiress, but... how is the wood elf a ho? she's got more clothing on then the dark elves.

Skeith154
06-26-2012, 09:26 AM
and i for one do hope they get enough funding for war bears. cause.. thats just awesome. armoured warbears.

wittdooley
06-26-2012, 10:58 AM
So I think I may up my pledge to 100 models, but I need advice on which models to get. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated! So far:

Iron Guard (20 models)
Doomcrushers (20 models)
Bear Warriors (10 models)
Living Ancestors (5 models)
Bear Lord (5 models)
Limited Standard Bearer (5 models)
Berzerker Lord (5 models)

I think this is a good base, and now I just need to add 20 more models. This, I think, would be best served as one of the following: Regular Warriors (20 models), Veterands (Longbeards) - 20 Models, or two units of Thunder Warriors (Thunderers), Crossbows (Quarrellers), or Pathfinders (Rangers).

Thoughts?

Wildeybeast
06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope in the future they simply use Kickstarter. It's so much easier to use. The only plus Indiegogo has going for it right now is that it accepts PayPal, while Kickstarter does not.

Unless I'm much mistaken, companies outside the US can't use kickstarter, which would explain the choice.

wittdooley
06-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Unless I'm much mistaken, companies outside the US can't use kickstarter, which would explain the choice.

Mantic was able to. I think, from pure hearsay and conjecture, it has something to do with having a US bank account, not being a US company. Again, I'd love if they'd just partner with CMoN with the express purpose of being like Mantic, but with better products.

Brakkart
06-26-2012, 05:20 PM
So I think I may up my pledge to 100 models, but I need advice on which models to get. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated! So far:

Iron Guard (20 models)
Doomcrushers (20 models)
Bear Warriors (10 models)
Living Ancestors (5 models)
Bear Lord (5 models)
Limited Standard Bearer (5 models)
Berzerker Lord (5 models)

I think this is a good base, and now I just need to add 20 more models. This, I think, would be best served as one of the following: Regular Warriors (20 models), Veterands (Longbeards) - 20 Models, or two units of Thunder Warriors (Thunderers), Crossbows (Quarrellers), or Pathfinders (Rangers).

Thoughts?

To add onto that lot I think I'd go for either the regular warriors or else the couple units of Thunderers. Should make for a pretty awesome army altogether.

eldargal
06-27-2012, 02:19 AM
It's done gone and ended at: 39,575. Not at all bad, can't help thinking they may havwe had 50% more if they had planned it a little better. Still, hoping for a Dark Elf one next year, I'm sure they will do it a lot better.

Skeith154
06-27-2012, 03:22 AM
oooh did they reach warbear amount?

Brakkart
06-27-2012, 05:13 AM
They didn't reach the War Bears amount, but they did just reach the Bear Cavalry amount, which is pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing those. Actually given GW's current love for adding in Monstrous infantry/cavalry to their fantasy armies, part of me can't help but wonder if the next Dwarfs army from them might feature something similar.

wittdooley
06-27-2012, 07:11 AM
I'll admit it. I waited until there was half hour left to ensure it hit the Bear Cav and tossed in $95 more than expected. So now I'm looking at picking 150 dwarfs.

What to pick, what to pick?

So here's what I decided on, I think. Subject To change

Dwarf Iron Guard (1 unit of 20)
Doomcrushers (1 unit of 20)
Living Ancestor (1 unit of 2)
Treasure Hunters (1 unit of 10)
Bear Warriors (1 unit of 10)
Bear Cavalry (1 unit of 5)
Warriors (2 units of 20)
King on War Bear (1 model)
Thunder Warriors (2 units of 10)
Bear Lord (1 model)
Berzerker Lord (1 model)

Wildeybeast
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Mantic was able to. I think, from pure hearsay and conjecture, it has something to do with having a US bank account, not being a US company. Again, I'd love if they'd just partner with CMoN with the express purpose of being like Mantic, but with better products.

Sounds about right. Some friends of friends tried to use it and couldn't, I wasn't clear on exactly why.

eldargal
08-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Ironshields from AoWs Facebook page:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/269761_10151142860170990_771839084_n.jpg

eldargal
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Anotehr unit, bronzeshields or something:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200907_10151233709920990_508924804_o.jpg

Wildeybeast
10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
If you have the capability to make shields out of iron, why would you still be making them out bronze? In fact, why are they making them out of metal at all? Silly dwarfs.

eldargal
10-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I always assumed it was more about the ornament, bronze trim etc. Afterall a metal shield is a ridiculous concept anyway, if it is thick enough to deflect anything it is too heavy to use. If it isn't too heavy it isn't sturdy enough to be of any use. Shields are wood, leather and a bit of metal trim and ornament and such like.

DarkDesigner
10-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Perhaps it's not meant to be Bronzeshields at all. Maybe 'Bronzehield' is the name of the Dwarf leader and he's just started up a new, or young, clan. So it should actually read 'Bronzehield's Young Clan Warriors' :D No?

Wildeybeast
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Good points both. I hadn't noticed the spelling, I think DD is on to something.

Build
11-07-2012, 07:34 AM
On a slightly related topic concerning rumours for Avatars of war.

I have it on very good authority there will be a Kroxigor sized lizardman making an appearance at some point. ;)

I am not allowed to say when, unfortunately.

eldargal
11-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Yay!:)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-07-2012, 07:37 AM
You do make the sexiest Lizardmen, Build.

Compliments to the sculptor.

Build
11-07-2012, 07:40 AM
You do make the sexiest Lizardmen, Build.

Compliments to the sculptor.

Well it changed quite a bit from the last set of photos. I had to remove the weapon holding arm and hand altogether as the anatomy was off, but I made the relevant changes and sent it to Felix before I thought about taking any photos.

I'll let you all know any other news that I'm allowed to tell as and when I get it.

I want to see what colour it gets painted....http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/yes/tumblr_lm11bt4OaK1qe6xr2.gif