PDA

View Full Version : 13th Company 1500pt with the new Codex

Sotirios
09-23-2009, 06:27 AM
I am playing around with the new codex and I am trying to field a 13th Co. army with the current codex! Tell me what you think please! It goes sth like this.

HQ
Njal the Stormcaller

Canis Wolfborn + 2wolves

Wolf priest (necklace)

Troops

15 Fenrisian Wolves (cyber wolf)

15 Fenrisian Wolves (cyberwolf)

9 Greyhunters (melta, MoTW, led by njal)

9 Greyhunters (melta, MoTW, led by Wolfpriest)

Fast Attack

3 Thunderwolves (1 storm shield + thunderhammer,1 wolfclaws)

I know some of the weaknesses of the list like the lack of transports or the lack of scoring troops but I think it is a semi-competitive list but with a ton of fluff and character! I am open to comments and advice in order to make it more effective but no less fluffy :)

Chumbalaya
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
It's waaaay too character heavy. 2 SCs and a Wolf Priest is too much for even 2000 points.

Canis and a normal Rune Priest is pretty much all you need.

If you want to stick with the 13th company feel, I'd recommend something like this.

Canis
Rune Priest w/ Chooser, Living Lightning, Tempest's Wrath
2x 15 Wolves
2x 10 Grey Hunters, 2 meltas, MotW
2x 2 Thunderwolves, 1 TH/SS
2x 5 Long Fangs, 4 missile launchers

Ends up around 1500 points. You've got 3 big mean and mobile assault units (Canis + wolves, 2x Thunderwolves) advancing behind a screen of puppies for Ld8 and re-rolls from the Thunderwolves. Grey Hunters are your only scoring units, they would be better in Rhinos but it doesn't fit theme. Long Fangs and the Priest have the sole job of knocking out transports so your doggies can get to the juicy insides.

Duke
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
My two cents say;

Drop Njal, he doesn't fit the idea... Keep the reg Rune Priest (Or for fluff trade rune priest for a wolf priest)

you could run 13th company using the bloodclaw rules, the bonus for the charge and the lower weapon skill represent 13th company pretty well I think.

the thunderwolf calvary are great in this list

Sadly, I wish you didn't have to take Long Fangs (for fluff reasons) but I don't think you can avoid it without losing a lot of effectivness. I like Cumbalays suggestions for this.

DUKE

Sotirios
09-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks a lot for your comments. Really helpful. For the powers of the Rune Priest I 'd go for the Wolf jaws and the other one with the wolf spirits. Fit the theme perfectly I think! Your opinion?

Chumbalaya
09-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Living Lightning is almost necessary for a foot list. D6 S7 shots at BS4(5 with chooser) are very useful for popping transports and keep the enemy from running circles around you. Combine that with cheap ML Fangs and you can keep light vehicles down so your foot elements can chomp on the squishy inner bits.

Jaws is always handy, but the Wolf Spirit power I'm not sold on. Too short ranged and passing Ld isn't very difficult.

Sotirios
09-24-2009, 12:54 AM
I meant the power with the the two wolves which is a shooting attack with two profiles...I think it is really good though I agree that Lightning is almost a must... I might take two vanilla rune priests with different powers...

Chumbalaya
09-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Right, it's rather short ranged and doesn't put out a ton of hurt. Sure it forces Ld checks if you kill something, but Ld tests don't fail very often these days.

Earthen
09-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Id go with living lightning rather than the wolf spirits ability. str 7 (transport popping) and unlimited range.