PDA

View Full Version : Codex Tyranids: Summary in first post

Pages : [1] 2

the one
09-23-2009, 06:35 AM
This post will updated regually.
Please read this post and all following post first. If after that your comment hasn't appeared then you feel free to add it.
Thanks.

Cover Art
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=4500006a&_requestid=242986

General Infomation

Incase you havn't noticed, a few kits are up to advance order aswell as the codex so get over their if you want them.

To be released January 16th 2010

Written by Robbin Cruddance (Author of Codex:Imperial Guard) and is already completed.

A second wave seems to be planned as well.

HQ

Special characters, such as Old One Eye and possibly the Red Terror, will return. These will be survivors of wars and also have been mutated, instead of individuals.

Malanthrope may be a new HQ choice.

Gaunts

All gaunt now in seperate box sets.

Hormagaunts will be 6 points and normal Gaunts 3 points including Without Number (WON). This is without ANY other weapons,
only with WON. Hormagaunts will be able to buy WON for 3 points.

Nidzillas

Carnifex will be made to be more close-combat oriented.
Crushing Claws are +1A, double Strengh (10 Max), ignore as, add d6 pen, d3 "wounds"/"vehicle hits".
Shooty Carnifexs will become less powerful.

Plastic Tyrgon kit

One of the new species: The Mawloch. Buildable from the kit for the Trygon, it is a variation on the Trygon, "with a distending mouth and lots of funny spines all over it." Again go over to the GW website for a better look.

Weapons
Talons +1A.
Envenomed claws, upgrade to CC symbiotes, wound on 3+
Rending Claws, autowound on 6 on hit, more expensive
Spinefists, fire and run?
Barbed Strangler, large blast, entangle...unit next move as difficult terrain
Lashwhip, remove X attacks from attacking unit (allocate as wounds), can target individual, but then only affects single model. no min 1A. no longer base contact constrained.

Misc.

Plastic kits are not been re-done

More anti-tank weaponary.

Warriors to be improved. They will be avilable in every slot. Wings will them Fast Attack, a Tyrant as a HQ makes them troops, heavy support have +1t, +1sv and each can take a "heavy" weapon.

Possible new more powerful psyker.

Genestealers are going to be reduced stat wise. Moved to Elites.

Broodlord and Lictors will be much improved.

See page 7 and 10 for a stat listing. I cannot confirm either of these and that is why they are not on this post.

January Releases for Independent retailers:

99120106017 Tyranid Battleforce 46 Fig Box 5-Dec-09 $105.00
99060106064 Tyranid Spore Mines 9 Fig Blister 16 Jan-10 $16.50
60030106003 Codex: Tyranids (English)96pp 16-Jan-10 $25.00
99120106016 Tyranid Ravener Brood 3 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $44.50
99120106018 Tyranid Gargoyle Brood 10 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $29.00
99120106019 Tyranid Trygon / Mawloc 1 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $49.50
99110106063 Tyranid Pyrovore 1 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $33.00
99120106021 Tyranid Termagant Brood 12 Fig Box 12-Dec-09 $24.75
99120106020 Tyranid Hormagaunt Brood 12 Fig Box 12-Dec-09 $24.75
9906010606201 Tyranid Venomthrope 1 Fig Blister 16-Jan-10 $20.00
9906010606101 Tyranid Hive Guard 1 Fig Blister 16-Jan-10 $20.00

Will add new info when I get it.
The One

Please feel free to PM me aswell.

PS: Sorry everyone for not updating to regully I've been having computer problems for ages. I hope to get back to normal soon.

Hades Alpha
09-23-2009, 07:36 AM
This is how rumor thread should always be done (with first post upated with all the infos).
I must thank you for this great initiative.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward for this codex. I can't wait to get my nids back on the table!

the one
09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks, always good to hear praise.

Duke
09-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Argh, My wallet can't keep up with all the new codicies, lol! I guess that is a good problem to have?

DUKE

StarWarsDoug
09-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm digging the Warriors as Troops move, if it turns out true. I have been building up my Warrior units of late to try a mass 72 Warrior 72 Stealer 3 heavy fex assault force.

Asymmetrical Xeno
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Not a nids player...yet, but I may be tempted to with these.

A few things put me off before : gargoyles being metal, and the gaunts being put in one box - i like the hormogaunts but not the termagaunts.

4 new species sounds cool too, I hope at least a few of them are more alien looking and less conventional than the other nids...that would go a long way in improving them IMO.

WargamingTV
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
This is certainly insane news.

StarWarsDoug
09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I'll throw out that back when IG was released I had heard a very unsubstantiated rumor the Nids were getting plastic Catachan Devils as a tie in...but it all went nowhere. Maybe with the rumor of 4 new nids, this could be one of them?

Xas
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I've heard that hormagaunts will be 6 points without additional biomarphs and normal gaunts 3 without weapons but including WON (meaning they get 1 point cheaper and get won for free). hormagaunts can buy WON for the same cost as termigaunts can do now.

warriors can be taken in every slot. normally you can take them as HQ/elite as now. wings make them FA, a tyrant as a HQ (maybe a higher tiered one?) makes them troops, heavy support have +1t, +1sv and each can take a "heavy" weapon.

stealers are going to be elite unless you take a broodlord (who can supposedly be upgraded much more than the current one.).

one of the new HQs is said to allow ripper swars to controll objectives (malantrope?).

tyranids have supposedly got ahold of an alpha+ level psyker and integrated his DNA into the swarm meaning they will have about as many psychic powers to choose from as space marines (and they are all assumed to "make world wolf look like a child's game").

take from this what you like but I've heard it from a nid-nut who runs a GW store. imho especially the thing about ndis beeing ubar-psyker seams odd but would tune in with all the anti-psyker gear the wolves got. maybe they will need it?

dispelling every psychic pwoer on 4+ isnt that ridiculous if each one not dispelled costs you a whole squad...

maybe the change the malanetropes fluff to also be a super-zoa?

StarWarsDoug
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd expect a Trygon would be what allowed Raveners as Troops. In Apoc the Trygon/Ravener formation establishes that relationship.

In terms of Psykers...that's the road they went down with the genestealer cults. I remember the old Genestealer patriarch being a super psyker and lots of cult magi. I don't recall if it was 3rd or 4th where this gave way to the claw horde of today.

Any rumors on Rending? the 5th nerf stole a lot of thunder from stealer armies.

Ghoulio
09-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Man, I hope even half of these rumors are true. Words cant describe how much I am looking forward to the new book :) GO NON MEQ ARMIES!!!

Anarchyman99
09-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Getting Warrors as Troops would be great a Troop the could hold an objective that is synapse creature.....

firestorm
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Whilst it's nice that 'Nids are getting new models (this may be enough to tempt me to round my existing force, 1,500 points made only the contents of two Battle force sets) to 2, even 3,000 points.

However, I can't believe that Nids are getting done AGAIN, ahead of Dark ELdar and Necrons.

'Nids have been updated THREE TIMES now within a decade; they're getting as bad as Marines...

Aradai
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Really looking forward to this update.

It would be awesome if they brought back the cults. I kinda miss the hybrids, they were nifty and the Primarch as well.

If anything points reductions would make me happy to keep things in line with current books. That will force us to paint about 100 more models but at least swarm armies would be viable again.

oldone
09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
oh my ****ing god my head is going to exoped because these rumours r awesome expect the canath devils
(sos about spelling) i thought that this was bigger then the trygon???
but i have 15 warriors allready so i going to play warrior swarm:D

RogueGarou
09-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I look forward to this new Codex if it is as cool as it sounds. It is really bugging (get it, bugs... hehe) that my Thousand Sons Sorcerors were shown up by the Ultramrines, then the Wolves upped the ante, and now it looks like the Nids are going to make my supreme Tzeentchian uber-psykers look even more runtish. Sheesh, who would have thought that Thousand Sons Sorceror translated into Grot Spell Caster?

But seriously, it sounds like a rocking new book on the horizon. Perhaps we will see an equally awesome Blood Angels Codex in the near future. Perhaps with multiple entries for good old Tycho? A Furioso and a Power Armor version. At any rate, the new Nids sound good and I can't wait for them to smack my Guard and Traitors around a bit. Just hurry up with the Inquisition and other old books and we will be set for even more fantastic beat downs.

TheKingElessar
09-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I can confirm that Hormagaunts will be able to have WoN.

Anggul
09-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm drooling uncontrollably right now...

All looks to be lovely, mainly the fact that I won't be paying 10pts for a basic hormagaunt anymore.

I don't think Catachan devils would be right, it's not in keeping with story at all, I'd much rather they made Raveners better, that would be nice.

New more powerful psyker? I do hope this won't be rendering Zoanthropes pointless, for I do love my Zoanthropes, they're nice and blasty =3

Majorcrash
09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
So now I have a reason to build six Punishers.. Yea;)

EEG
09-25-2009, 08:48 AM
i just noticed that the Tyranid battleforce is no longer available on GW's website...:(

StarWarsDoug
09-25-2009, 08:57 AM
So now I have a reason to build six Punishers.. Yea;)

Better make it 9, you'll only get one round of shooting before the swarm will be on you. Hopefully, with a few hundred attacks, a few handful may be rending, at least a few will glance. Maybe gaunts can get melta-spit and have a chance against Russ and LR.

Cthulhu
09-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Yay, I can pack up my Chaos army for the forseeable future.

I so tire of the Lash Legion.

TheKingElessar
09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
Play them as Wolves. Unless they're Alphas. Then, play them as DH.

EmperorEternalXIX
09-26-2009, 06:06 AM
The gaunt thing is kinda pissing me off.

It is awesome that the nids will be more true to life, but... as someone who plays a low model count army, the codex creep is really hurting me a lot. The "elite" armies aren't getting any better relative to these horde armies being able to field 300% more bodies.

Tyradrien
09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Ahhh...

Can you feel the call of the swarm?
The Voidsong is resonating through my very soul...

About the gaunt pts decrease (see previous thread), it is true that the nid army looks... unbeatable... just like any other recent codex armies!!

just take a look for example:

-The Salamander Forge Master beam?? ... let it just hang at the corner of your deployment and let those templates fall... OP

-The bane wolf... can't think of any better troop destroyer!!...12'' Range template wound on 2+ AP 3 .... hum... OP!

I haven't seen Space wolves in action yet... but... seriously... they look a bit overthe top...

... .... ... ... ... ... ...

So many units are buffed up... just hope it doesn't get... too crazy!

oh... btw... those unit buff are one of the best way to keep people buying GW products... and just think how much MORE gaunts you'll need for a battle... and how much $ you'll have to spend!

Katie Drake
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
The rumors about 3 point Gaunts just seem... wrong. Three freaking points? That's a Grot for God's sake, and we all know that a Gaunt is far more dangerous than a Grot. I wouldn't expect to see Gaunts any cheaper than five points per model.

Xas
09-26-2009, 03:43 PM
you guys complaining like the sky is falling about 3 point gaunst obviously dont play nids.

thats for the body without a weapon. nowadays the gaunt body is 4 points so its only a 1 point decrease. add the one usefull weapon and it costs 2 points so you'd get a 5point gaunt (like a guardsman). if you take the "i cannot kill anything but have to be baught" 1 point weapon you are 4 points.

George Labour
09-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Any rumors some of the 'new' species might be the old tyrannid vehicles from epic? IE. the exocrine and similiar

Armorcast made a couple of them in resin many years ago for 40k scale, and while some may not like them I feel they fit a certai niche in the army. I mean, if we can have Bio titans the size of reavers with legs as thick as a grot to hold them up, why not a big slug that 'spits' anti tank rounds?

TheKingElessar
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
The rumors about 3 point Gaunts just seem... wrong. Three freaking points? That's a Grot for God's sake, and we all know that a Gaunt is far more dangerous than a Grot. I wouldn't expect to see Gaunts any cheaper than five points per model.

Sorry, Katie. 3 points for a Gaunt is EXACTLY correct. In fairness, I said a month ago to stock up... :P

Katie Drake
09-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Sorry, Katie. 3 points for a Gaunt is EXACTLY correct. In fairness, I said a month ago to stock up... :P

Okay, I'll bite. Is it 3 points including any sort of equipment, or is it 3 points without a gun of any kind? I've heard that you don't get a gun with it, but I'd like to hear it from you, if you don't mind.

imperialsavant
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I've heard that hormagaunts will be 6 points without additional biomarphs and normal gaunts 3 without weapons but including WON (meaning they get 1 point cheaper and get won for free). hormagaunts can buy WON for the same cost as termigaunts can do now.

warriors can be taken in every slot. normally you can take them as HQ/elite as now. wings make them FA, a tyrant as a HQ (maybe a higher tiered one?) makes them troops, heavy support have +1t, +1sv and each can take a "heavy" weapon.

stealers are going to be elite unless you take a broodlord (who can supposedly be upgraded much more than the current one.).

one of the new HQs is said to allow ripper swars to controll objectives (malantrope?).

tyranids have supposedly got ahold of an alpha+ level psyker and integrated his DNA into the swarm meaning they will have about as many psychic powers to choose from as space marines (and they are all assumed to "make world wolf look like a child's game").

take from this what you like but I've heard it from a nid-nut who runs a GW store. imho especially the thing about ndis beeing ubar-psyker seams odd but would tune in with all the anti-psyker gear the wolves got. maybe they will need it?

dispelling every psychic pwoer on 4+ isnt that ridiculous if each one not dispelled costs you a whole squad...

maybe the change the malanetropes fluff to also be a super-zoa?

:p Sounds like a BIG serve of Codex Creep to me LoL:D

Madjob
09-27-2009, 01:40 AM
With what looks to be a huge amount of new Heavy Support options introduced alongside the already trusty Carnifex, I sincerely hope they finally move Zoanthropes out of Heavy Support - great units, but sometimes you can really hurt yourself by taking a slot for them, especially if you only want one. Elites seem more suitable to me.

Andrew283
09-27-2009, 08:54 AM
The Basic Gaunts all have without number and that is it. For 3 points that is a bagain

RogueGarou
09-27-2009, 02:01 PM
I am not going to say there is Codex Creep since we do not really know anything for sure yet. On the surface, Without Number sounds pretty awesome but who is to say the rule is not slightly modified? I am not a Nid player so I don't recall if this is exactly correct or not but doesn't Without Number currently say that an entire squad has to be destroyed and then that squad walks back onto the table from the edge? For Termagants that doesn't sound so bad. If you take a large brood, they all have to be cut down. This gives up a VP/KP. They then walk back on from the controlling players edge. They are not as fast as Hormagaunts and do not have the range of heavy weapons. I'm not terribly worried about them especially when the Devil Dog, Punisher, and templates in general have the potential to really hurt those squads. Hormagaunts or Gargoyles, on the other hand, could become pretty nasty with Without Number. An eternal tarpit brood that leaps and bounds across the table or flies into the enemy lines. Even if the unit just charges the biggest, nastiest thing on the table and ties it up for one round before being killed, they come back and can do it again in a couple of rounds. All they would have to do is tie up a vital unit and they have served a great purpose holding that uber squad in place until the heavy hitters can get in close enough to take their swings.

Besides, if the Termagants come with no weapons for their cost then we could guess that a Fleshborer, Spike Rifle, Spinefist, or whatever else they have will push them up to about the same cost as a Guardsman or Ork Boy. Probably a point or two more since they have a special rule included. Due to their stat line, though, they may be only the same cost. Since the rule does not work like the Guard's Send in the Next Wave, the unit has to be wiped out before the copy enters play. That could work both ways depending on which side charges and which units are involved in the assault.

But perhaps they have thought of the possible uses of the rule and have changed it slightly. I do not have any inside information so this is entirely conjecture but what if the rule is altered? Perhaps the unit that comes back onto the table is a bare bones squad. No weapons, just basic Termagants that were not modified for the battle and are fresh from the birthing pools (or the equivalent)? It would pretty much require a player to have extra models without any mods so I doubt this will be the case but who knows?

Also, having more options is great, I think. Perhaps some units are exclusive to certain builds? Taking a Hive Tyrant precludes the use of a Malanthrope or vice versa. If a Malanthrope is fielded Zoanthropes could count as Elite and Heavy or something. I am sure there will be some really cool stuff in the new Dex and probably some of it will seem cheesy at first glance but I think all of the recent Codicii will cope with it just fine.

Maybe the new Codicii are even being put together with an idea for changing the game dynamic in mind? Notice all of the vehicles that started showing up? Everyone decides melta is the new orange and dumps plasma to the side. Everyone decides Vulkan is the new orange and starts building to fight that. Lash was the color du jour and everyone got into vehicles. With three possible horde armies, plasma is a better choice than melta because it offers more shots. I think the only thing that has not changed is that missile launchers that can fire frag and krak are useful and that IG mortars still do what they have always done. All of the other list options go in spurts. A few years back, no one used Rhinos or Chimeras very much. No one used flamers because they had plasma. No one uses plasma because they have melta. At one time when hordes were the in thing, everyone I saw had heavy bolters and assault cannons. I think it might be a good thing to have another good horde option around to make folks mix up their lists a bit. If you only have six units on the tabletop and they can only kill a couple of models a round and the squads being carried inside can only kill a handful of models a round with all of their meltas and fists, they will get swarmed. If you overboard on anti-infantry, you will wipe the table against the horde but might not be able to hurt their big guns reliably, or at all. It just seems to me that the pendulum swings back and forth. Elite Marine armies have loads of power but it is concentrated into a handful of units or models. Line armies have decent power spread throughout and their big guns usually are glass cannons or are restrictive in some way.

I am looking forward to the new Wolves and Nids Codicii not because I play them but because I know people who do play them. I got new goodies with my Chaos Marines and Guard armies and now it is their turn. That's the way of the world. Have fun and remember, no matter what army or Codex you play for or against, any other army can beat any other army on any given day. It comes down to using your build effectively and the luck of the dice. Unless money is on the table, it is just a game. Enjoy your couple of hours and blast the crud out of these new bugs.

Xas
09-27-2009, 03:50 PM
RG you basically nailed why WON isnt worth it atm on anything but a minmalistic squad.

gaunts have short ranged weapons (12") and come from your table edge once you manage to get them killed. on a big brood this means you are getting your unit back prolly soon turn3 or late turn 5.

add the fact that they shurely will stillr equire synapse and you can neutralize them quite well.

oldone
09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Firstly i think thats a great way to play the game roguegaxoe (sos if spelt incorrectly i fail my gcse english)
i think if the nids get 3 point gaunts wthout weapons it won't be two bad i mean there not hard to killl and yes the could tie up your nob bikers for a turn but in all fair ness it willl be enterinaing to see what units can kill the most gaunts in combat
i like the idea of moiving zoe's to elite but if warriors r all that willl people play them and will they go to elite not troops like death dread for orks when u take a type of HQ like the ork big mek we r meantto be geting highly powerful psykers maybe a super/alpha zoe
hopfullly they take away the 0-1 rules on everything i mean the wiged tryants , broodlord , zoe's and boveroes are all got that rule
me i going to go for a mix swarm get tons of gaunts warriors genstaellers and carfex to make sure my enmey has 7 things to worry about
btw i kie the new front cover but my freind thinks the last one was better whats your oppion
just my 2 cent :D

TheKingElessar
09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Is it 3 points including any sort of equipment, or is it 3 points without a gun of any kind? I've heard that you don't get a gun with it, but I'd like to hear it from you, if you don't mind.

Pretty sure (95%) it's with no gun, not even a Fleshborer, which is only a point. However, WoN makes it all worthwhile. That said...Hormagaunts will be able to get WoN, and should be <12 points with it, IIRC.

Who cares about other options with that? ;)

EDIT: RogueGarou:

Yes and no. Plasma won't help against 4/5 point Gaunts. However, it is NO COINCIDENCE that SW Dreads come with Assault Cannons as standard... ;)

EDIT2: Confirmed by Phil Kelly today at Games Day that it will be out earlier than anticipated, in January instead of Feb.

Katie Drake
09-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah, wasn't quite sure why a multi-melta of all things became a Dreadnought's basic armament... probably something to do with that silly Assault on Black Reach box. :P

I wonder if Without Number will work in a more sane manner? I think I read somewhere (it could've even been someone's house rules) that the new Without Number simply added D6 models back to a squad at the beginning of the controlling player's turn, and that the unit could never increase beyond its initial starting number of models with this ability.

Maybe that was Revelations' idea from Heresy... hm.

MaidenManiac
09-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I wonder if Without Number will work in a more sane manner? I think I read somewhere (it could've even been someone's house rules) that the new Without Number simply added D6 models back to a squad at the beginning of the controlling player's turn, and that the unit could never increase beyond its initial starting number of models with this ability.

Maybe that was Revelations' idea from Heresy... hm.

Sounds familiar from somewhere indeed.
Hopefully there is some sort of a catch with them 3 pts gaunts that puts them on the level with Grots, as they should be for those points:confused:

RocketRollRebel
09-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Sounds pretty neat. I dont play 'nids but a good friend of mine does so I face off with them quite a bit. I'm excited to see the new units and minis tho for this and I think people should really wait and see instead of going into "OMFG new codex! its OP! I'm soooo screwed! Damn you GW!". I wouldn't say that any of the codex's that have been released in the 4 years I've been playing have been unstoppable and broken. Rather I'd say that they have been pretty good and balanced (ok except DA, poor guys). They seem to kinda run on a system of trial and error with codex's (storm shields getting a pts boost in C:SW ect ect).

MaidenManiac
09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
... "OMFG new codex! its OP! I'm soooo screwed! Damn you GW!"... They seem to kinda run on a system of trial and error with codex's (storm shields getting a pts boost in C:SW ect ect).

There are always folks that overreact yea, and most of the times its just a rumour of misquoted/misunderstood things.
But there tend to pop out stupid mistakes that they really should have understood at playtesting, like the SS example above? It doesnt take a master in rocket science to realise that dirt cheap 3++ save is too good, right?:eek:

LongFang
09-28-2009, 09:21 AM
:D
I'd expect a Trygon would be what allowed Raveners as Troops. In Apoc the Trygon/Ravener formation establishes that relationship.

In terms of Psykers...that's the road they went down with the genestealer cults. I remember the old Genestealer patriarch being a super psyker and lots of cult magi. I don't recall if it was 3rd or 4th where this gave way to the claw horde of today.

Any rumors on Rending? the 5th nerf stole a lot of thunder from stealer armies.

The rules you're talking about came out of second edition, when one of the most insane Nid armies was a
geanstealer cult army dedicated to Chaos. If I remember the article correctly they discovered the joys of
Khorne, this was before he became a stickler about the anti-psyker thing.
Just found the article, what would be the HQ choses today are as follows:
Patriarch: gift of Khorne: Regeneration, Chaos atributes: Blood Substitution, Extrudes Acid
Armament: Chos Weapon, Mindeater
Magus: Fourth Generation Hybrid, Chaos Atribute: Evil Eye, Chaos Reward: pack of 8 Fleshhounds.
4th level Psyker, psi abilities: Hammerhand, Steal mind, Aura of resistance, Jinx, Mental bolts,
Ectoplasmic mist, Cause confusion, Destroy aura, Stasis, Cure wounds. 43 Psi points.
Armament: Chaos armour, Lasgun, Force sword.
Now those are just the leaders, which would you rather face, them or a Hive Tyrant with Tyrant guards?
Personally I think it's about time the Nids got their true Psi abiliites back. Hopefully somebody with the
ability affect change is as tired as I am with the mindless claw armies.

Shadowseer
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Enjoy

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=4500006a

Drew da Destroya
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
"Penance of the Elder Gods", eh? Is GW linking them to the Old Ones?

oldone
09-28-2009, 10:55 AM
plaese no i like the idea of them having no actal creation story

twistinthunder
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
is it me or is the fact that we may be getting seperate boxes for hormagaunts and termigaunts the most awesome thing there. also i hope the new (if it changes) WON rule is the roll a d6 and add that number of models to the unit (if only cause it seems more fluffy).

mathhammer
09-28-2009, 12:14 PM
"Penance of the Elder Gods", eh? Is GW linking them to the Old Ones?

I would guess this is the Eldar's name for being dinner.

Herald of Nurgle
09-28-2009, 01:18 PM
In case any of you Brits are wondering - if you saw the Nid codex cover at Design Studio and someone screaming 'THEY'RE SO BROOOOOKEN' nearby? THAT WAS ME.

I dread to think what crap they'll be adding here.

Drew da Destroya
09-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I would guess this is the Eldar's name for being dinner.

LOL! It must be.

is it me or is the fact that we may be getting seperate boxes for hormagaunts and termigaunts the most awesome thing there. also i hope the new (if it changes) WON rule is the roll a d6 and add that number of models to the unit (if only cause it seems more fluffy).

I would disagree... it doesn't seem fluffy to me for more bugs to randomly spawn in one particular squad. It seems much more fluffy for the Hive Mind (or Norn Queen, Tyrant, w/e) to notice that a brood was wiped out, and to redirect another nearby brood to the battle.

Xas
09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
ok guys... this cover... thats it. all my projects are going on hold to paint my nids and save for the new ones.

let the feasting begin :D

TheKingElessar
09-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Sounds familiar from somewhere indeed.
Hopefully there is some sort of a catch with them 3 pts gaunts that puts them on the level with Grots, as they should be for those points:confused:

I don't think there will be. Expect a reciprocal drop in the next Ork Dex though.

As regards the AoBR Dread, yes, probably. Don't forget also that the MM isn't in the main Dread box, despite being one of the few(ish) options also available to Chaos Dreads.

twistinthunder
09-29-2009, 11:05 AM
LOL! It must be.

I would disagree... it doesn't seem fluffy to me for more bugs to randomly spawn in one particular squad. It seems much more fluffy for the Hive Mind (or Norn Queen, Tyrant, w/e) to notice that a brood was wiped out, and to redirect another nearby brood to the battle.

really cause i thought that the 'nids created spawn pools as they went so i thought that some would jump out and go (not literally) "hey look guys reinforcements have arrived!"

Madjob
09-29-2009, 11:08 AM
The Plastic Trygon may have bits to make a Trygon or a Zoanthroph. Something else is also possibly buildable from the kit. More on that as i get info.

Wait, what? That seems rather confusing. Either the Trygon's getting hugely scaled down, or the Zoanthrope is getting scaled up, and either way the design of one of the two is changing drastically. I can't think of any parts the two would share. Perhaps it's supposed to be able to make a Malanthrope? That seems more likely (and a really cool idea).

Rafe_131
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Nah, it could work. Since they both are based on a more or less snake-like torso with arms, you just simply have to make the torso in sections...Leave a section out to shorten the overall height and make a zoan...Put the section in to get the taller Trygon. Plus, that would be better from a modeling aspect, as it would allow a larger amount of pose options. Then it's just a matter of getting the proper arm, carapace, or head options. Or mabey I'm being optimistic..

kevlarmonkey
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
as sad as I am that the next codex is not one for an army I play (I don't play DE or Necrons) I must admit that I am pretty happy the new nid codex was not written by phil kelly. anybody else notice that the codexs that get the most complaints about being "cheesy" are his? they either need to keep him away from new books or have him write them all, so they will all be equally broken. I have high expectations that this codex will be balanced, fair, while staying true to the fluff. but I've been wrong before. . .

Lord Azaghul
09-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Whilst it's nice that 'Nids are getting new models (this may be enough to tempt me to round my existing force, 1,500 points made only the contents of two Battle force sets) to 2, even 3,000 points.

However, I can't believe that Nids are getting done AGAIN, ahead of Dark ELdar and Necrons.

'Nids have been updated THREE TIMES now within a decade; they're getting as bad as Marines...

Are 'nids really that popular? In my area we've only got 1 hard core nid player, the rest is a smattering of chaos, sm, daemon and guard (occational eldar)

Duke
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Wait, what? That seems rather confusing. Either the Trygon's getting hugely scaled down, or the Zoanthrope is getting scaled up, and either way the design of one of the two is changing drastically. I can't think of any parts the two would share. Perhaps it's supposed to be able to make a Malanthrope? That seems more likely (and a really cool idea).

Im leaning towards what your saying... No way Zoanthrope can be a Trygon... However, a Malenthrope can be a Trygon. If anyone doubts this simply look at the Forgeworld pics for the Malenthrope.

Tarrandus
09-29-2009, 09:03 PM
So, has the same author written any of the other codexes? I'm too lazy to check. :D Should we be fearing cheese, or does he make well balanced armies?

Warriors as Troops- Rock on!
6 point Hormagaunts- FInally!

I hope the Lictor gets some updates. I love lictors, but the DS into terrain test is annoying. :)

Drew da Destroya
09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
really cause i thought that the 'nids created spawn pools as they went so i thought that some would jump out and go (not literally) "hey look guys reinforcements have arrived!"

Certain creatures probably create Digestion Pools as they're wandering about eating biomass, but I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) the actual fighting creatures are dropped from orbiting Hive Ships in those Mycetic(?) Spore Sacs. Pretty much Bio-Drop Pods.

Aren't Spawning Pools the building that lets you create Zerglings in Starcraft? Similar enough in theory, but I don't think Tyranid are created on-planet. I could be wrong, though.

twistinthunder
09-30-2009, 12:03 AM
So, has the same author written any of the other codexes? I'm too lazy to check. :D Should we be fearing cheese, or does he make well balanced armies?

Warriors as Troops- Rock on!
6 point Hormagaunts- FInally!

I hope the Lictor gets some updates. I love lictors, but the DS into terrain test is annoying. :)

its been/being written by robin the new guy that wrote codex:imperial guard and from what i heard the guard codex is fairly balanced.

i too hope the lictor gets an update possible a plastic set which make 3? and the 0-1 restiction to come off since i think having 9 lictors running round in a game would be immense.

and why dont we get bio-drop pods? :(

also how easy do you guys think it would be for gw to release the hierophant?

TSINI
09-30-2009, 03:48 AM
Special characters, such as Old One Eye and possibly the Red Terror, will return. These will be survivors of wars and also have been mutated, instead of indurviduals.

I think you mean individuals

The Plastic Trygon may have bits to make a Trygon or a Zoanthroph. Something else is also possibly buildable from the kit. More on that as i get info.

I don't think this is entirely accurate, as the Trygon is HUGE compared to a Zoanthrope.

Xas
09-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Certain creatures probably create Digestion Pools as they're wandering about eating biomass, but I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) the actual fighting creatures are dropped from orbiting Hive Ships in those Mycetic(?) Spore Sacs. Pretty much Bio-Drop Pods.

Aren't Spawning Pools the building that lets you create Zerglings in Starcraft? Similar enough in theory, but I don't think Tyranid are created on-planet. I could be wrong, though.

All tyranids up to the sice of hierophants/harridans can be spawned on-world in brood nests (the size of the enst depends of the type of nid produced and can reach square killometers subterran. mor information can be found in the nid FW book. there they basically put some gaunts and warriors on a planet to research in a "Jurrasic park" way and end up beeing overrun by biotitans.

the first wave reaches the planet on spores (so it can be assumed that you need non- genestealers to create those brood nests.

spawning pools are indeed starcraft.

Herald of Nurgle
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
3 Plastic Kits and 3 Metal models...
Anyone get that bit yet? It's in the WNT page

StarWarsDoug
09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I think you mean individuals

I don't think this is entirely accurate, as the Trygon is HUGE compared to a Zoanthrope.

My bet is if Malanthrope is a choice, the Trygon kit could be used for either with the right bits. the FW versions are very close in scale, and both have a "somewhat" snakish body.

Drew da Destroya
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
All tyranids up to the sice of hierophants/harridans can be spawned on-world in brood nests (the size of the enst depends of the type of nid produced and can reach square killometers subterran. mor information can be found in the nid FW book. there they basically put some gaunts and warriors on a planet to research in a "Jurrasic park" way and end up beeing overrun by biotitans.

the first wave reaches the planet on spores (so it can be assumed that you need non- genestealers to create those brood nests.

spawning pools are indeed starcraft.

Fair enough, I hadn't read the FW book. Regardless, I doubt these Brood Nests are being dropped behind the Gaunts as they run down the battlefield. They'd more likely be situated behind the battlelines, where they'd be more protected, and the gaunts spawned from them would still need to run onto the battlefield per the current "WoN" rule.

Tarrandus
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
My bet is if Malanthrope is a choice, the Trygon kit could be used for either with the right bits. the FW versions are very close in scale, and both have a "somewhat" snakish body.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/at/2009/3/15/116d7590165e06977bd6e8ea41ff66f8_7413.jpg__thumb

There is no way those two are coming from the same kit without a massive redesign.

StarWarsDoug
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Ha. yeah, I agree, I thought they were closer in size.

the one
10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I am removing the Malanthrope/Trygon untill somebody does come up with anything substanial enough to support it.

Oh and by all means carry on bickering.

Xas
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
today I had a chat with my friend again. When I asked him if he could tell me any more about the nids he produced a sheet of paper which looked quite like the summary sheet you get at the last pages.

When he went for the tiolett I quickly took out a pen and copiet as much as I was able to.

take from this what you want but I think there are several exciting bits (look at that hive tyrant alpha... or the fact that the hierodule is in!). any ideas what the two weapon attributes "strangle" and "subconscious weapon" could be?

Creatures: WS Bs S T W I A LDS Sv:A Sv:I
Hive Tyrant 5 3 5 6 4 5 3 10 3
Hive Tyrant Alpha 7 4 7 8 6 7 6 10 2
Tyrant guard 5 3 5 6 2 5 2+2 10 3
Broodlord 6 3 5 5 3 7 3+2 10 4
Broodlord Alpha 8 3 6 5 4 9 7+2 10 3
Brood Magus 5 4 4 4 3 6 3 10 2 4
Tyranid Warrior 4 2 4 4 2 4 2+2 10 4
Tyranid Warrior: Winged 4 2 4 4 2 4 2+2 10 5
Tyranid Warrior: Guardian 5 3 5 5 2 4 2+2 10 3
Lictor 9 0 6 4 3 9 3+2 10 5 4
Genestealer 6 0 4 4 1 6 2 10 5
Gaunt 3 3 3 3 1 4 1 5 6
Hormagaunt 4 3 3 3 1 4 1+2 5 6
Ripper Swarm 3 1 3 3 3 2 3 10 6
Ravener 5 3 4 4 2 5 3 10 5
Ravener Alpha 7 4 6 5 4 7 6 10 3
Trygon 6 3 8 7 6 5 8 10 2 4
Gargoyle 3 3 3 3 1 4 1 10 6
Zoantrophe 3 4 4 4 2 4 2 10 2 3
Malantrope 3 4 6 5 4 4 5 10 2 3
Exocrene 3 4 10 8 6 1 3 10 2 4
Biovore 3 3 4 5 2 1 1 10 3
Carnifex 4 2 7 6 4 3 3+4 10 3
Hierodule 4 3 10 8 8 3 4+4 10 2

Weapons: Range S AP
Barbed Strangler 36" S-1 5 Assoult 1 5" Blast, Strangle
Devourer 18" S-1 - Assoult 2X Living Ammonition, max S:6
Deathspitter 24" S+1 5 Assoult 1 3" Blast, Melta
Fleshborer 12" S+1 5 Assoult X Living Ammonition, max S:6
Spinebanks 12" S 5 Assoult X Twin Linked, Subconscious Weapon
Venom Cannon 36" S+2 4 Assoult 2X Poison (2+)
Biocannon 48" S 3 Assoult 2X

Mines: S AP
Bioazid 5 3 3" Blast Lance, 2d6 vs Armor
Toxic Gas 3 - 3" Blast Poison (2+), no cover saves allowed
Strangler 2 5 5" Blast Strangle
Spine Frag 6 4 5" Blast

I hope this isnt against copyrights but technically the dex isnt yet out so this could also all be wrong?

ADMIN UPDATE: This list has had ZERO corroboration. Consider it wishlisting.

Ghoulio
10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
There is no way that is correct, just going to throw that out there. First off, they said that there would only be 4 new units never before seen in the list, that list you have there has 8. Second, some of the stats on the different units are completely out to lunch (WS 9 on a lictor?). Third a lot of the weapon changes sound a bit too good to be true..see deathspitters getting "melta", I dont think so. There are just so many things that make no sense there (the alphas...really?).

I imagine that a good portion of the list will remain fairly close to what we have now, just with point reductions (ie gaunts going from 4pts to 3pts and getting WoN for free, hormagaunts becoming 6pts), and some improvements that need to be made to compete with the newer armies. Nids are my single fav army in the game (always have been) and I pray that they dont go completely crazy with the codex creep. I know the book is finished and it was written by the guy who did the Guard codex, and from what I have seen that is a very decent book...so fingers crossed :)

Cthulhu
10-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Screenshots or it never happened.

Seriously, as much as I'd love to see those statlines on my nids, if I were to take those as gospel I feel I would be destined for disappointment.

Katie Drake
10-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Those aren't all that extreme really. Sure, some of them seem pretty high, but remember that a set of characteristics without an attached point cost doesn't mean too much.

I doubt that all of that is perfectly accurate anyway. Even if this friend did have a sheet full of correct characteristics, the original poster was copying them down as quickly as possible, so there are bound to be mistakes.

I guess we'll know for sure come January. :)

Tarrandus
10-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Those look way extreme. Everything is getting a +2 in the attacks department or more instead of the normal +1, and the WS 's are through the roof. That looks awesome but I'd rather not have everything but the gaunts cost 200 points per model.

If this is legit, my guesses for the special rules:

X Alpha- Getting rid of the biomrph system, and just having 1 or 2 alternate stat lines for several units.
Subconscious Weapon- Can be fired in adition to any other shooting normally allowed.
Strangle- Upgraded pinning, or the target needs a difficult terrain test to move next turn.

twistinthunder
10-02-2009, 12:14 AM
xas : strangle could be some kind of instant death kind of rule. and subconsious weapon could be a weapon that fires its self automatically in the shooting phase (whether you run or not?) and 'insert unit name here' alpha i think will be like a sergeant/greater than a normal unit or they will be getting rid of synapse and have "unit champions"

George Labour
10-02-2009, 02:28 AM
One thing I'd like to see is a definitive statement on whether things like wraith cannons and force weapons can insta gak a tyrannid. Dealt with so much whingeing when the new eldar codex with its lovely wraithguard ran into its first super rules breaking nid horde. Never made much sense how being sucked through multiple realities is stopped by being really single minded in purpose. I can see how it works with D weapons in apocalypse, but not the above items.

Or I guess they'll just replace synapse with eternal warrior on half the army and we'll have to go with whether that or not affects force weapons and wraith cannons.

As for the post above, possibly the hierodule will become the nid equivalent of the land raider? Back in epic they did have vehicles like the exocrine and dactylis, and I always saw the shooty gargantuan gribblies in apocalypse as filling those roles in a less slug like form.

Of course that list is so obviously wrong stat wise it could be one of those jerk joke pranks some folks enjoy pulling on fanboys.

Deej
10-02-2009, 04:05 AM
There is no way that is correct, just going to throw that out there. First off, they said that there would only be 4 new units never before seen in the list, that list you have there has 8. Second, some of the stats on the different units are completely out to lunch (WS 9 on a lictor?). Third a lot of the weapon changes sound a bit too good to be true..see deathspitters getting "melta", I dont think so. There are just so many things that make no sense there (the alphas...really?).

I imagine that a good portion of the list will remain fairly close to what we have now, just with point reductions (ie gaunts going from 4pts to 3pts and getting WoN for free, hormagaunts becoming 6pts), and some improvements that need to be made to compete with the newer armies. Nids are my single fav army in the game (always have been) and I pray that they dont go completely crazy with the codex creep. I know the book is finished and it was written by the guy who did the Guard codex, and from what I have seen that is a very decent book...so fingers crossed :)

That, and he must've been in the toilet for ages...

Xas
10-02-2009, 05:35 AM
That, and he must've been in the toilet for ages...

If you study maths you are quite fast at writing numbers (and matrix es like this). Additionally most of the current creatures stayed the same which I knew as a long term nid player and didnt ahve to copy down.

so for shure dont take it without salt, especially on the normal, less creatures because I mgiht have missed small changes (a point of I, WS or LDS is quite unimportant on a gaunt).

well I hope this isnt a prank from him and the points will be fair because the hierodule and aplha tyrant look quite cool (and I'd love to see a bigger hive tyrant from FW to represent that!)

I like the idea of strangle beeing a better pinning (difficult terrain would make it expecially dangerous versus jump infantry and vehicles).

Scoota
10-02-2009, 06:23 AM
As a long time Nid player, I quite like the look of those stats. If they're correct, I can see myself going a bit gooey over the new codex. As was mentioned, without points costs (and confirmation that these are correct) we can't establish how many of each creature we'll be able to take.

I must say, the number of invulnerable saves has me a bit worried... Zoanthropes with 2+ armour 3+ invulnerable saves? Do they also have a thunder hammer?

And the broodlord magus? If they're coming back into the codex, does that mean =I= could be in the not-too-distant future?

Be still my beating heart... I'd love it, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Xas - thanks for the heads up should it be true, or at least for the look of dismay on my friend's face when I tell him the new Nids will whoop his Wolves.

Dosadi
10-02-2009, 06:47 AM
I love a good wish list. However, this hardly qualifies as good.

Dosadi

Madjob
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I love a good wish list. However, this hardly qualifies as good.

Agreed. It's pretty silly. What does a Lictor need WS 9 for? Is it going to be ambushing Bloodthirsters? And at a frankly low initiative, no less.

More importantly, eliminating spinefists? No template weapon still?

Smells very fishy to me.

Melissia
10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Good for nid players I suppose. A shame that they didn't update a faction that needed it more first, though. Hope it is on the same level as the IG codex, allowing for a wide variety of lists-- I don't want to end up facing the same nid lists over and over and over again.

Cthulhu
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Good for nid players I suppose. A shame that they didn't update a faction that needed it more first, though.

Nids were broken on many levels, SoB is a splinter faction that will not be addressed for a long time (because nobody cares!) and Dark Eldar are still functional. Give it a rest, seriously, do you think GW reads these forums, sees your cries for justice and sheds a tear like the native american in a recycling commercial? Sorry, I wouldn't complain if it wasn't the same three line petulant response to every army thread on these boards.

Tarrandus
10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Nids were broken on many levels, SoB is a splinter faction that will not be addressed for a long time (because nobody cares!) and Dark Eldar are still functional. Give it a rest, seriously, do you think GW reads these forums, sees your cries for justice and sheds a tear like the native american in a recycling commercial? Sorry, I wouldn't complain if it wasn't the same three line petulant response to every army thread on these boards.

Say what now? I play nids and they aren't the greatest army, but they get by. I can't really see how they're broken besides the 'I wish this was a couple points cheaper' that applies for pretty much every 4th ed codex. Nids are way more playable than DE.

BTW, I've gotten my butt handed to me by Sisters before, so they can't be all that bad. I've seen them crush marines as well.

Xas
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Say what now? I play nids and they aren't the greatest army, but they get by. I can't really see how they're broken besides the 'I wish this was a couple points cheaper' that applies for pretty much every 4th ed codex. Nids are way more playable than DE.

BTW, I've gotten my butt handed to me by Sisters before, so they can't be all that bad. I've seen them crush marines as well.

why nids are broken?
no anti tank.
fexes / tyrants who hit on 6es do not count untill they get around 12A each ...

twistinthunder
10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Hope it is on the same level as the IG codex, allowing for a wide variety of lists-- I don't want to end up facing the same nid lists over and over and over again.

i would expect it to the same level/style as IG codex becuase its written by the same guy.(would being the key word because expecting something will make it worse. in the almighty words of the arctic monkeys - "anticipation has a habit to set you up. for disappointment and evening enterainment but tonight there'll be some oh!")

cooklee
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM

1) 1 pts for preferd enemy units is sick
2) tyrant + guard and cover for them ??
3) kill point for spor mine/spore cluster??
4) only one way to play and win turnaments
5) venom cannon ?? is it a weapon?? ;)
6) and a lot of stuff that dont work any more(thorne back, symbiot ripper)

Flummer
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Xas thanks for the cool update. Real or not I will take this to my friends and blow them away. I lthink it looks to good to be true, and you all know what they say about that. As far as the Hierodule... I hope so! THAT would be an impresive addition, and Bio-cannons seem like a reasonable way to bring in anti-armor shootiness. The "strangle" and "subconcious wep" stuff, I got no idea but I love new rules. Heres hoping.

MilkmanAl
10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
For fun, let's assume these stats are accurate. The most reaosnable explanation for the Hierodule's ourageous stats that I've heard so far is that GW tested the Apocalypse models with the normal codex stuff to see how it all worked together. The same is probably true of the Exocrine. There's no way those models could be balanced for normal 40k games without costing some absurd amount of points. The "alpha" creatures might also be in the same category. The Trygon is a curious case since it seems (to me, at least) pretty obvious that it will be a part of the normal codex. With that stat line and the presumed ability to Deep Strike and move as a beast, it's going to bring up some serious balance issues.

Everything else looks awesome. If those mine choices are correct, Biovores seem to have swung back to being stupidly powerful. Zoanthropes may be useful, finally, and Lictors look like they got beaten with the arbitrary stick. 9 WS and I? WTF? The return of the Genestealer Magus is pretty hot, as are the +2A scything talons.

As cool as it is to speculate, though, I have to believe this info is at least partially incorrect. Much of it does sound realistic, and I suppose I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me IG would get a skimmer that had 3 twin lascannons, could scout, and had a transport capacity. I hope this "leak" is accurate, but I'm not banking on it.

Tarrandus
10-02-2009, 10:18 PM
why nids are broken?
no anti tank.
fexes / tyrants who hit on 6es do not count untill they get around 12A each ...

To say that nids have no anti tank is incorrect. They don't have strong anti-tank, but I've still managed to rack up the tank kills. Outflanking genestealers, Broodlords and Lictors can put the hurt on back line shooters. Admittedly we don't have much for fast moving transports, but hey, the enemy is coming towards us, that's good anyway.

1) 1 pts for preferd enemy units is sick
2) tyrant + guard and cover for them ??
3) kill point for spor mine/spore cluster??
4) only one way to play and win turnaments
5) venom cannon ?? is it a weapon?? ;)
6) and a lot of stuff that dont work any more(thorne back, symbiot ripper)

I don't get what your saying. 1 and 2 are good for nids, 3 and 4 are bad, 5 and 6 are irrelevant. What I'm getting from it is nid pros and cons are equal. :) 1) It's sick but not broken, genestealers deserve to be able to wipe a unit out before they get shot to pieces. 2) So? Its not like 4+ invul saves are rare, our HQ getting cover doesn't scream 'cheese' to me. 3) So don't play them. We're not the only book with a terrible unit. 4) Can't speak from experience, so I'll take your word for it. 5) Mount it on a tyrant and that baby is pretty sweet, long range, high strength, good rate of fire. 6) Our two most useless special rules don't work anymore. The lost is truly monumental. ;)

I'm just not seeing the 'broken' here. Like I said, not the most competitive army, but certainly playable. :)

the one
10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Thank you Xas for the list. I will wait for a second person to confirm this before it is added to the main post though.

Shuricane Wayne
10-03-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm not a Nids player but I don't see anything thats completely over the top. At least not if its pionted correctly. The really big bugs are nice suprise though. The "melta" deathspitters would certainly up their anti-armor ability and the alphas appear to be fixed close combat nasties with scything talons and a higher weapon skill. Cant wait to see if this pans out. I've always kinda liked the bugs..............

Shuricane Wayne
10-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Subconscious weaopn. Hmmmm....auto shoots at closest ememy unit even if the critter charges another squad?
Could be.

Xas
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I've had somet alk in the local shop and someone has come up with a nice idea for subconscious weapons:

the spinebanks have till now allways been a weapon which can be fired in addition to other weapons. the deamon dex has shown that gw is ok with breaking the "only one weapon for infantry/two weapon for monsters" rule.

so all in all this rule could simply state that the weapon could be fire in addition to other weapons. If you could fleet AND fire the weapon spinegaunts (which I just assume are armed with this) would have their uses even if they costed as much as termagaunts (assumed to both be 3+1 pts). fleet, shoot to get an additional movement while shooting or shoot, fleet to get an al-rahem like cover move.

I like the idea that the alpha and real superheavies are maybe just in because this might be a master-list for both apoc and the dex. my problem with this is that both the harridan and hierophant are missing?

oldone
10-03-2009, 02:17 PM
If these r tre they will cost an arm and a leg (much like stromcaller)
but i think that our "spaecial charcters" r these alphas think which will be sweet

Tarrandus
10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I
so all in all this rule could simply state that the weapon could be fire in addition to other weapons.

Wow, what I great idea. I'm glad I already thought of it :D

If these stats turn out to be true, its going to be interesting. The new are absolute monsters in combat, but we definitely won't be fielding 114 MCs anymore.

It will be interesting to see what the Brrodlord Magus can do. He's a lot weaker, so obviously he will be able to liquify people with his brain.

Xas
10-04-2009, 03:02 AM
It will be interesting to see what the Brrodlord Magus can do. He's a lot weaker, so obviously he will be able to liquify people with his brain.

With the stuff the wolves have... I wouldnt be surprised if he has a psychic power along the lines of: "melt brain" <Nominate any single modell within line of sight to the magus. This modell has to pass a leadership test with 3d6 or is removed from play.>

mcl
10-04-2009, 05:15 AM
This news has my son holding off on his Ork army plans. A shame since I was looking forward assembling & painting some of those wonderful Orky vehicles :-(

Curse you GW!

On the up side, it might encourage him to finish off the small horde of 'nids as yet unassembled or partially painted.

An update would be good for anti-vehicular firepower. The 'nids do struggle somewhat with vehicles. I hope the Carnifex builds in the old codex are still viable in the new. They better be.

Flummer
10-05-2009, 07:18 AM
With the stuff the wolves have... I wouldnt be surprised if he has a psychic power along the lines of: "melt brain" <Nominate any single modell within line of sight to the magus. This modell has to pass a leadership test with 3d6 or is removed from play.>

Bye Bye Lukas the Trickster with your leadership of 8! Cool idea and sounds fun.

twistinthunder
10-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Bye Bye Lukas the Trickster with your leadership of 8! Cool idea and sounds fun.

why? all he needs to roll is:

or

EvilEd209
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Here is what I had just read in another forum. I am not sure how much truth there is to this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Any confirmation from the BoLS guys would be great!

Rumored 5th Edition Tyranids

I can't resist looking closely at this. Some of it seems pretty far-fetched, but for the sake of argument, I'll assume that it's all complete truth

Code:
Hive Tyrant WS5 BS3 S5 T6 W4 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv3+
Hive Tyrant Alpha WS7 BS4 S7 T8 W6 I7 A6 Ld10 Sv2+

Straight hive Tyrant looks identical to current, which is fine; there isn't any problem with her right now, as far as I can tell, except the limited set of useful bio-weapon configurations, which is more likely fixed with the weapons and biomorphs than the statline of the creature herself.

Tyrant Alpha seems to be an Apoc-only entry; S7 T8 W6 I7 A6 is more powerful than any MC in the game so far, especially if you can slot a 12-shot Venom Cannon on her. Somehow, this is hard to believe.

Code:
Tyrant guard WS5 BS3 S5 T6 W2 I5 A2+2 Ld10 Sv3+

Guard looks the same as current. First piece of evidence that Scything Talons will be +2 attacks instead of +1. Having the +2 attacks on the statline implies that the ST will be standard. This represents a disturbing shift from the 3rd Ed upright lashwhip guards to the ugly, stubby 4th ed guards with talons. Oh well. Maybe they'll get cheaper or something.

Code:
Broodlord WS6 BS3 S5 T5 W3 I7 A3+2 Ld10 Sv4+
Broodlord Alpha WS8 BS3 S6 T5 W4 I9 A7+2 Ld10 Sv3+

Broodlord looks identical to current, except for the +2 attack Scything Talons. The Alpha looks possible for normal games; he's got a pretty beefy statline (Sweeping advance at I9, anyone?), but nothing unbelievable other than his SEVEN BASE ATTACKS. Still, Khorne chaos lord with daemon weapon can crank out similar amounts of attackage, so maybe it's not Apoc-only.

Code:
Brood Magus WS5 BS4 S4 T4 W3 I6 A3 Ld10 Sv2+/4++

Nothing really to compare with this guy. His statline seems a bit high for the current vision of the Magus (who looks like a bald human, not a high-end close combat specialist). The statline seems more appropriate for a slightly overweight genestealer with some psyker powers (Warp Field to explain the 2+/4++ save, for example). This would be reasonable to make him fit in the Tyranid army (as opposed to a Genestealer Cult).

Code:
Tyranid Warrior WS4 BS2 S4 T4 W2 I4 A2+2 Ld10 Sv4+
Winged Warrior WS4 BS2 S4 T4 W2 I4 A2+2 Ld10 Sv5+
Guardian Warrior WS5 BS3 S5 T5 W2 I4 A2+2 Ld10 Sv3+

Standard Warrior looks nearly identical to current, although he (and all his brethren) have the +2 attacks for Scything Talons standard. This suggests that Warriors (unlike Tyrants, above) wouldn't be able to go for a 100% shooty build, which isn't so bad considering the current standard of DS/ST. The improvement to save is nice, but it's unclear whether this would be further improvable (probably not, considering the 3+ save on the Guardian). The 5+ save on the winged warrior is a disappointment, as this will make them continue to be bolter bait, unless they are significantly cheaper than they are now (to permit larger brood sizes). And, possibly, if they can be Fleet of Wing. The Guardian, I would guess, is either 0-1 or only available as HQ or (more likely IMHO) Heavy Support. The higher WS and BS are nice (especially if improvable), as is the higher S (leading to better shooting weapons) and T (more resilient) and the aforementioned 3+ armor save. These guys are probably *very* expensive to compensate, and probably have a smaller max brood size, but would be the "devastator squad" equivalent for lots of mid-grade shots to compare to the shooty MCs "tank". Overall seems reasonable.

Code:
Lictor WS9 BS0 S6 T4 W3 I9 A3+2 Ld10 Sv5+/4++

At first glance, the stats seem a bit over the top, but really they might actually be plausible. WS9 isn't going to help him on the offense (WS6 already had him hitting 99% of the enemy models on 3+ with a reroll), but it is over the critical 2xWS+1 boundary to be hit on 5+ by WS4 (MEqs and Orks). This would go a long way to improving his survivability against massed close combat attacks which are currently a serious weak spot. The W3 has been a long time in coming, looking at the model size, and the +2 attacks follows the pattern for Scything Talons. The 5+/4++ save is the last bit of assistance for protecting him, as it will give him a good save against everything (especially the powerfists that might overwise Instant Death the poor beast). I9 is a bit much, but he was already going first most of the time anyway, so the main effect is to improve his ability to do Hit and Run (very useful) and Sweeping Advances (also potentially very useful). Plausible, perhaps.

Code:
Genestealer WS6 BS0 S4 T4 W1 I6 A2 Ld10 Sv5+

No apparent changes. Didn't need them. Moving on.

Code:
Gaunt WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld5 Sv6+

Same same. Any changes must be in the cost/biomorph/special rules.

Code:
Hormagaunt WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1+2 Ld5 Sv6+

As previous, but with the notable inclusion of the +2 attacks for Scything Talons. If this is combined with the rumored reduction in cost to 6 pts, they will be much more attractive.

Code:
Ripper Swarm WS3 BS1 S3 T3 W3 I2 A3 Ld10 Sv6+

No apparent changes here, moving on.

Code:
Ravener WS5 BS3 S4 T4 W2 I5 A3 Ld10 Sv5+
Ravener Alpha WS7 BS4 S6 T5 W4 I7 A6 Ld10 Sv3+

Base Rav seems very similar to current, so hopefully changes in the special rules or costing to make up for their current vulnerability to, well, pretty much everything. Oddly, he doesn't have Scything Talons standard, which makes him (potentially) even more shooty than the Warriors. This seems pretty unlikely, since even now the Rav has to take at least one set of ST. The Alpha is a thinly-disguised Red Terror, with upgraded stats; as compared to the "old" Terror, it looks like he's WS+2, he has a BS (strange, that), S+1, W+1, I+4, and A+3 (although no scything talons, also kinda strange), making him a much better fighter but about the same on defense (nice 3+ save stayed, though). The T5 W4 makes him a candidate for regular games, especially with the Trygon at the next higher level of Ravener-y goodness. If he gets access to any shooting weapons, he'll be nearly as good as a Tyrant Alpha, which seems a bit unlikely.

Code:
Trygon WS6 BS3 S8 T7 W6 I5 A8 Ld10 Sv2+/4++

It seems odd that this guy has more S, T, W, and A than the Rav Alpha, and a better Sv (with the voltage field invulnerable, perhaps?), but worse WS, BS (why have BS at all?), and I. The Alpha Rav would be the assassin to this guy's sledgehammer. With A8 and W6, this guy seems to be a good candidate for Apoc-only.

Code:
Gargoyle WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A1 Ld10 Sv6+

No apparent changes, moving on.

Code:
Zoanthrope WS3 BS4 S4 T4 W2 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv2+/3++

BS4 is huge huge huge; this by itself makes the Warp Blast 17% better. The 2+/3++ Warp Field save is also a significant benefit, as it allows him to survive in the open, against any flavor of shooting weapon, and in close combat even with nearly any troop in the game , sort of similar to TH/SS terminators. Presumably, this flavor of Warp Field will NOT be accessible to Hive Tyrants, as an MC with 2+/3++ save would be somewhat broken (or phenomenally expensive).

Code:
Malanthrope WS3 BS4 S6 T5 W4 I4 A5 Ld10 Sv2+/3++

Looks pretty similar to the current Imperial Armor Malanthrope; T5 W4 A5 is hardly overpowered for a normal game, so I have high hopes that this guy will not be an Apoc-only choice. On the other side, though, is that 2+/3++ Zoanthrope Warp Field Save on a monstrous creature. At T5 this isn't quite as broken, but it's still likely to be pretty expensive.

Code:
Exocrine WS3 BS4 S10 T8 W6 I1 A3 Ld10 Sv2+/4++

The statline looks pretty close to expected based on the source "slug-tank" from Armorcast. T8 W6 Sv2+/4++ leads me to think that this guy is, again, Apoc-only. I would guess his base weaponry is a single bio-cannnon (which would be S10 AP3 Assault 6 by the legend below; easily the best shooting weapon in the entire game with the possible exception of the Witch-hunter's Exorcist missile launcher).

Code:
Biovore WS3 BS3 S4 T5 W2 I1 A1 Ld10 Sv3+

Massive increase in survivability at T5 and 3+ save, but that was never really the problem. Ld10 is nice to, to prevent them running away from random shooting or assaults, but again, not really the problem. If the spore mines (below) are accurate, though, these guys might actually be worth taking again (assuming the spore mine = KP problem has been solved). Hopefully the extra defensive upgrades don't push their cost too high.

Code:
Carnifex WS4 BS2 S7 T6 W4 I3 A3+4 Ld10 Sv3+

Hmmm. Hard to read, this one. WS+1, I+2, A+1, and two sets of Scything Talons for the +4 attacks. With the reduced S-2, which only really affects shooting weapons (since S7 ignoring armor saves is quite sufficient to take out infantry, and the MC +2d6 is more than enough for vehicles in close combat, especially with SEVEN attacks). This all together suggests that Carnifexes are going back to their Screamer-Killer roots, although there is going to be at least some configurability based on the picture of the ST/CrCl Fex on the Codex cover. Now, if this guy can take one or more shooting weapons he's going to be a beast; the barbed strangler loses quite a bit of power (only S6 now), but the VC becomes S9 Assault 6 (owch!). Even assuming it still has some anti-vehicular nerf (glance only, or -1 to damage rolls, or whatever), this is still pretty potent. If true, this would pretty much be the end of the current Sniperfex, since the VC becomes a good weapon by itself, and the BS isn't a heavy vehicle hunter at S6.

Code:
Hierodule WS4 BS3 S10 T8 W8 I3 A4+4 Ld10 Sv2+

Apoc-only, in my assessment, for the same reasons cited previously (T8 W8?). With bio-cannons, he is utterly beyond powerful for a normal-scale game.

Code: Weapon: Range S (Max) AP Type Special Effects
Barbed Strangler 36" S-1 5 Assault 1 5" Blast Strangle

Pretty much the same for the Warriors and Hive Tyrants (anti-personnel); not sure what Strangle will do, it would be nice to create a Difficult/Dangerous terrain effect, to slow down the enemy and make them easier to assault. The main change here is on the Carnifex, where it ceases to be heavy enough to damage AV13-14, making it a bad match for the venom Cannon.

Devourer 18" S-1(6) - Assault 2X Living Ammunition

No change, not even for the Carnifex (assuming he can still take shooting weapons).

Deathspitter 24" S+1 5 Assault 1 3" Blast, Melta

Melta is a *massive* change, turning this very good anti-personnel weapon into a very good anti-anything weapon (albeit with the accuracy issues inherent with a blast weapon). The main down side is the Melta effect requiring 1/2 range (12" in this case). This makes it essentially a blast multi-melta when pointed at a vehicle (much worse at infantry due to meh AP). Of all of the things here, this is the one I buy the least...melta is always paired with a very good AP (which only makes sense). Having it with an AP5 weapon is just weird. Nevertheless, interesting if true.

Fleshborer 12" S+1(6) 5 Assault X Living Ammunition

No change.

Spinebanks 12" S+0 5 Assault X Twin Linked, Subconscious Weapon

I can only assume that he is a misprint; spinefists are a very common weapon with the gaunts, and GW doesn't usually crush backward compatibility that much. In any case, the only change here is the Subconcious weapon, which is almost certainly like the Spinebanks are now, the Tyranid version of Machine Spirit, allowing an extra weapon per turn.

Code: Weapons: Range S (Max) AP Type Special Effects
Venom Cannon 36" S+2 4 Assault 2X Poison (2+)

Better in every meaningful way. Against infantry, the 2+ poison combined with the high strength will ensure a 2+ rerolled to wound against pretty much any target, and the doubling of shots (!!!) will offset the mediocre AP to make it useful even against targets with decent saves. Even assuming Warriors can't get a +S biomorph, this is still a S6 AP4 Assault 4 weapon that wounds T6 and less on 2+ reerolled; somewhere in the vicinity of an assault cannon (no rending, but longer range and better to wound). And it only gets better from there...no indication whether there are any rules to keep it from being an outstanding anti-vehicular weapon as well; even with a Glance only rule, the doubled shots will still be a threat to any vehicle, especially from a Tyrant or Fex.

Code: Weapons: Range S (Max) AP Type Special Effects
Biocannon 48" S+0 3 Assault 2X

Now this is just silly. On the one side, the S+0 makes it an anti-infantry weapon on anything south of a Carnifex (although it would make a wonderful anti-MEq weapon with lots of shots and AP3), but on an Exocrine or Hierodule it becomes anti-everything. If this isn't Apoc-only, I'll eat my chitinous head-crest.

Code: Mines: S AP Special Effects
Bioacid 5 3 3" Blast Lance, +2d6 vs Armor

Pretty unbelievable. S+2, Lance, and Melta (effectively, but without a range restriction). By rough math, this means a hit has better than 50% chance of glancing any armor out there (Lance -> AV12 max, S5 + 2d6 roll of 7 = 12). This is too good, I don't buy it. Oh, and it would be a spectacular anti-MEq weapon as well, with 3+ to wound and ignoring armor saves.

Toxic Gas 3 - 3" Blast Poison (2+) no cover saves allowed

I'm not sure this is competition for the bio-acid mine, but ignoring cover saves is a pretty good inducement with all of the cover out there these days. Wounding everything on a 2+ is a nice boost from the current rules as well. The only thing hindring this beast is troops with good armor saves (perhaps not as much of a problem these days with Ork and IG armies running rampant, but MEqs will still be a problem). This one would be a good back-up mine if you can take more than one type.

Strangler 2 5 5" Blast Strangle

Hard to say what this means without knowing what the Strangle special rule does. S2 is not a good sign, but a large blast template is always a good thing, so perhaps this will be worth it.

Spine Frag 6 4 5" Blast

The replacement for the current Frag mine; better in literally every way; S+2, AP-1, bigger blast. What's not to like, this thing is basically a railgun submunition shot. I would be inclined to use this against Orks or IG instead of the Toxin mines, just for the higher strength (for hitting light vehicles of opportunity) and larger blast radius (for better accuracy and more models under the template).

Anarchyman99
10-09-2009, 11:50 AM
If this is true and as posted above....it would be the first codex to also include Apocalypse Units in a Codex....That I don't buy. GW would want to pump out a new book like Apocalypse Reload to milk out more money. If so why was it not done in the IG codex or Space Wolves, Space Marines have the least real Apocalypse units. Thanks EvilEd209 (great name by the way) for the much better layout and break down of the stats/units. I bet Strangle is counts as difficult terrain for a turn, or something along that lines.

AirHorse
10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Most of that seems pretty reasonable if you assume that there is apoc stuff mixed in. What I wonder is does this mean we are expecting another wave of apoc releases after tyranids are out? I hope so! :D

DarkLink
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree. I don't buy GW putting Apoc stuff into a standard codex, and I don't buy some of this stuff useable in normal games.

Anarchyman99
10-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Remember the Massive Squiggoth for the Chapter Approved Feral Ork Codex....
WS2 BS3 S9 T7 W6 I1 A4 Ld7 Sv4+
Up too 3 Ork Heavy Weapons TW Rokkits, TW Big Shootas, Lobbas or Kannons
Transport Options and a Monstrous Creature
Heavy Support

Not a 0-1 and 90 Points base!!!

Note not all rules posted see your Chapter Approved 2004 for full rules.

So 200+ points for a huge Nid.....not too far really.

Maxis Lithium
10-10-2009, 09:29 PM
in regards to the Squiggoth, it was nice, but it also was a varient list which really lacked big bang anywhere else. The Squiggoth was still the only heavy hitter in the army, lacking such basic Ork accruments such as Zzap guns and Power Klaws.

My favorite part about the Squiggoth was it's low leadership. often times, I would see an eldar farseer one-shot it with Mind war.:rolleyes:

Anarchyman99
10-11-2009, 06:47 AM
I'm just saying crazy stat wise, it's not too far off

DarkLink
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, I don't know if a chapter approved unit for such an old codex would be very balanced in the current ruleset. 6W, T7 etc, for 90 pts? Take 3, then hide the rest of your army behind it, cause that is one heck of a meatsheild, and for 180pts, too.

The Custodian
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, ok heres the deal guys...

That list is fake, its a pure wishlist thats been debunked by Brimstone at Warseer, actually its one of the reasons the Nid Rumour thread was closed (among other things).

Current info points that while the Trygon will be made in plastic it actually may not be in the dex. The hierodule and Exocrine are definatly not in.

As for those of you thinking the trygon is over the top... I recently started a Space Marine army and built myself a drop pod. ITS THE SAME BLOODY SIZE AS A TRYGON! (I have a trygon also)

Stat wise does a WS 6 S8 T7 W5 I5 A5 Sv 3+ creature really scare you that much? Especially when it costs more than a land raider? And you can shoot at it while its in combat. The Trygon is hardly strong. I've played it in normal 40k games before and it was hardly a game changer. Infact I severely weakened my list just to fit it in.

DarkLink
10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, ok heres the deal guys...

That list is fake, its a pure wishlist thats been debunked by Brimstone at Warseer, actually its one of the reasons the Nid Rumour thread was closed (among other things).

Current info points that while the Trygon will be made in plastic it actually may not be in the dex. The hierodule and Exocrine are definatly not in.

As for those of you thinking the trygon is over the top... I recently started a Space Marine army and built myself a drop pod. ITS THE SAME BLOODY SIZE AS A TRYGON! (I have a trygon also)

Stat wise does a WS 6 S8 T7 W5 I5 A5 Sv 3+ creature really scare you that much? Especially when it costs more than a land raider? And you can shoot at it while its in combat. The Trygon is hardly strong. I've played it in normal 40k games before and it was hardly a game changer. Infact I severely weakened my list just to fit it in.

I though some of the stuff sounded fishy.

Yeah, you can make a Carnifex just about as tough as the Trygon (T 7, W5, 3+ Sv), for about somewhere around the cost of a Land Raider. So long as it's appropriately priced, it isn't too bad.

Duke
10-14-2009, 10:05 AM
I think I can speak for most people (Except a certain SoB player maybe) when I say that we don't mind if something is powerful... it is all just relative to the points cost.

Duke

Xas
10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
actually a fex can be made mor resilent than the current trygon (2+ save vs 3+ save is hughe as long as you still get hurt by bolters) only a bit more than half the trygons current price!

Melissia
10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't really care if something is powerful. I will beat my opponents with the army I am given, and iif I have to completely rethink how I play my army, so be it.

oldone
10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Yeah i think i change with the codex, i mean i only got 3 carfiex so i don't really play competaly but i still win a few games just hopeing that warriors r as good as they sounnd is it unreasable to execpte a new model for them cos i wouldn't mind have new warriors and has any one learnt anything from Gamesday spain yet

The Custodian
10-18-2009, 05:11 PM
It was gamesday Italy but here all we know from that... Thanks to warseer for the info

No plastic kits will be redone. Any new plastics will be either transfers from metal or completely new

Plastic trygon confirmed

That's all really

ggg
10-19-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm really not sure how to adapt my Scythes Space Marine army to cope with the new bugs. Sounds like there will be a greater number of really scary nid builds - hordes of 3 point guants, WON all over the place - Genestealer builds, Warrior horde builds, and a greater variety of BIG bugs and greater anti tank capability. I will be very interested to see whether the nids will be given more deep striking and outflanking options (seems like every codex is pushing this way) and I think that could make nids really difficult to handle.

BS FADE
10-19-2009, 07:29 AM
So I'm not sure this has been mentioned yet. But yesterday my friends and I saw the whole gaunts arn't on GW website anymore so we decided to check out the site.

Thats when we noticed that three things from the collectors section have been moved to their respective Force org slots. Can you see what this is hinting at or am i just reaching?

P.S. Also we then moved on to Necrons and started laughing at all the horrible descriptions for how their units should be used. My favorite Destroyers are one of the most resilient TROOPS in the game.

StarWarsDoug
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Gaunts are still on the site, just under the Elites "other options" pane. I suspect if the rumor of the box being split is true they are just trying to clear them out.

nidz
10-20-2009, 06:46 AM
i like the idea that they are going to splti the gautns up casue u can alreayd get a box of just termagaunts, so ynot have the option for just hormagaunts also for those who dont really need the termagaunts.

Crystalmonkey
10-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Gaunts are still on the site, just under the Elites "other options" pane. I suspect if the rumor of the box being split is true they are just trying to clear them out.

I can confirm the split; I recently spotted a small box of JUST gaunts (I forget what type, but it was only 8) in a local store here. I think this is probably good news given the increase we'll see in models fielded.

nidz
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
well if that was termagautns in the smaller boxer then that does not confirm it casue gw has always sold termagautns by thesmevles just not hormagaunts by themselves in a differnet box.

Xas
10-20-2009, 12:18 PM
the snap fit 5 termagaunt box has existed for ages...

The Custodian
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
First new NId creature sighted!

Thanks to Lorizael at 40k online...

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww354/gajowy21/Newcreature.jpg

Looks VERY interesting... New psycher?

The Custodian
10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the double post but more info from warseer

Allessio has supposedly let slip the following titbits:

"I cannot speak about the Trygon, but a hypothetical model would have the same detail and more versatility than the Skaven doombell"

"I would expect something similar to a Tyranid basilisk, a new species with a brand new metal model is likely"

"If people want a new Hive Tyrant model will have to buy the Forgeworld one"

"The new book will let players field even more Carnifexes than before"

Here, in Italian:

http://www.forumgwtilea.it/forum/index.php?showtopic=95497&st=0

From another ninja, there are two new plastic sets listed: Raveners, full plastic set, 35 euros, and Gargoyles, 22.75 euros.

Hormagaunts and Termagants will be sold separately, both boxes 19.50 euro. The current Gaunt-box is still listed, price unchanged.

There are also two new names:

Toxatroph, in a Blister, 17.50 Euro

Pyrovore, Metal Box set, 26 Euro

Also, besides the already available Tyrant Guard there is also a blister named Schwarmwache in German, which translates to Hive Guard, Blister, 17.50.

The New Battleforce has its price raised by 5 Euro, which is the same as the new Imperial Guard Battleforce.

I suspect out new creature to be either the Toxatroph, or the Hive Guard

Scoota
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
That new model...
Head of a Lictor...
Kinda looks like a Ravener...
Chitin of a Hive Tyrant...
Tail of a Zoanthrope...
Lash whips...
Could it be a Livenant-thrope? Or an Alpha? (if those Alpha rumours prove to be true)
Whatever it is... I wants it presciousssssss.

Absolutionis
10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Likely named Toxathrope. Considering its really a mini-Malanthrope, toxathrope would make sense.

Faolain
10-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Xenobiological Data:

Armed with some kind of lash whip.

Armed with Rending claws.

Possibly some kind of burrower.

Pronounced vents indicate some higher form of toxicity.

warpcrafter
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that the stats sheet that has caused so much uproar may have been just a sort of pieces of minformation slipped onto the internets by GW to gauge public opinion. They only pretend like they don't put rumors out there, so that they can be all sneaky. You don't think they would actually admit openly that they listen to what people say about their products? Look at the intense rumor storm that preceded the release of 5th edition? Those rumors evolved depending on the ranting until they became what was finally printed. That being said, if they do put all those critters in the codex, I'll be painting bugs frantically all year just to catch up. Damn you GW!!!

Emperorsmercy
10-21-2009, 12:39 AM
If all of this is true, I can see an upsurge in triple vindicator lists. With large blasts, high strength and relaible-ish accuracy, it'll be good at taking out hordes and ridicoulously big monsters such as trygons.

Xas
10-21-2009, 03:03 AM
ya know that even one trygon woudl laugh at the 3 vindicators, take the hits, hand you a few of his wounds and then proceed to eat you?

if it stays the same stat wise I'd say your bed is on missile launchers with either spammed small templates or s8 ap3 goodness into the biggies face. and that for cheaper :)

miteyheroes
10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
I presume this Toxathrope thing covers these rumours from p.1 of this thread:

4 whole new races never before seen, one of them larger than the carnifex and also a plastic Trygon. More coming in second wave according to rumors.

So it's larger than a carnifex, a bit like a Malanthrope, an HQ choice, and a powerful psyker? Seems to make sense.

twistinthunder
10-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I presume this Toxathrope thing covers these rumours from p.1 of this thread:

4 whole new races never before seen, one of them larger than the carnifex and also a plastic Trygon. More coming in second wave according to rumors.

So it's larger than a carnifex, a bit like a Malanthrope, an HQ choice, and a powerful psyker? Seems to make sense.

if your talking about the 'released model' then thats a 40mm base, which isnt bigger than a carnifex.

miteyheroes
10-21-2009, 09:47 AM
if your talking about the 'released model' then thats a 40mm base, which isnt bigger than a carnifex.

Looking at him, I was assuming he was slightly taller than a carnifex? Not bigger in volume, but bigger in height.

Duke
10-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Great new info, I am really looking forward to seeing not just the models but the rules...

Duke

Madjob
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Offering some speculation.

First, the Toxathrope. Frankly a disappointing model, but it is pretty clear that it's closer to the Zoanthrope than it is to the Lictor - Lictors aren't the only models that can get feeder tendrils, and the head is about the only heavy similarity the Toxathrope has to one. Given the 4 lash whips it's much easier to imagine this creature as a defensive psyker, having Warp Field built in, perhaps Synapse as well, but with some new abilities specific to them, like maybe having a 6" effect where friendly units with models in range count as having defensive grenades, or count as being in cover for the purposes of assault (to represent assaulting enemies having to brave a cloud of noxious gas to get into combat).

More interestingly is the Pyrovore. I like to envision it as either one of two things, the first being fairly obvious: it's just like a Biovore, but you place a flamer template aligned along its line of sight to where the hit lands. Artillery flamer templates is a pretty unique thing for an army to have, but perhaps not necessarily useful, and so my other hope for the Pyrovore is a tougher Biovore suitable for marching along the front lines with a flamer template weapon (or even, being hopeful here, an alternate non-template attack with Melta properties). Obviously you wouldn't want to leave these unguarded but the idea would be the enemy would have to juggle the decision of blasting the small gribblies rushing at your lines, or try and bring down the Pyrovore trio lumbering up behind them.

I've also been doing some thinking about Hormogaunts. Their largest problem, aside from pricing, is their leaping rule. There's no easy way to keep them within synapse range unless you dedicate a Flyrant to babysitting them, and unless the synapse rules are changed dramatically this will continue to be the case in the new codex. With that in mind, I think they should lose leaping and gain a dramatic price decrease, at most 5 points a pop. They're still fast, still having Fleet, but no longer the hyperactive child that needs to be kept on a leash or risk hurting themselves.

neoscott
10-21-2009, 11:33 PM

That is understandable as the Necrons and Dark Eldar are dead races really Dead for Necrons . The Tyranids are constantly evolving really need the updates more often.

nidz
10-22-2009, 06:55 AM
ok i like your post first off, but with keepign the synapse in there its not as hard as u belive now with the run rule u just need a squad of warriros near them and a fly tyrant to go with them, that is usually how i keep synapse is give a squad of warriros leasping and tehy can charge 12 inches and when gautns get into close combat then they dont worry about synapse till the next round and if they live then u move your warriros forward adn give them synapse again.

crazyzombie
10-22-2009, 07:07 AM
After I glanced over some rumor prices at spme formums I saw that the Trygon was listed to be 50$. If this is true then their is little doubt that the trygon will actully be in the codex as it is the realm of happening(IG Valkeiry), as well as the fact games workshop hasn't realesed a Apoc. only modle less then 95$.

Xas
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I hope they "fix" the multi levle ruins bug with hormies by just declaring every nid infantry and just giving them the leeping biomorph...

BS FADE
10-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I love that about hormagaunts "this rules says they're not beast.... wait this rules does NOOOOO!!!"

To bad i love them, and my friends know this so they always make sure they're buildings for them to hide shooting squads in.

But i am looking forward to the new dex, everything is pointing to me being able to field a full army that moves like beasts.

Madjob
10-22-2009, 10:56 PM
ok i like your post first off, but with keepign the synapse in there its not as hard as u belive now with the run rule u just need a squad of warriros near them and a fly tyrant to go with them, that is usually how i keep synapse is give a squad of warriros leasping and tehy can charge 12 inches and when gautns get into close combat then they dont worry about synapse till the next round and if they live then u move your warriros forward adn give them synapse again.

Leaping Warriors can't keep up with Hormogaunts even with run - they can't fleet, but the gaunts can, bringing them out of synapse range of the warriors unless there was another target close enough for the warriors to assault as well without having to run. And like I said, dedicating a Flyrant to babysit a hormogaunt swarm or two is a waste of a potent unit.

Tyradrien
10-23-2009, 05:50 AM
CC warriors can keep up with gaunts...

Synapse have a 12" range... CC warriors can run, that is equal to fleet as long as the gaunts are not charging
CC warriors... give'em jump!! Gaunts will be in the combat one turn ahead. In that case, they may get out of synapse range (synapse range=jump charge range) but a little clever placement during the deployment can get rid of the problem:
-just set your warriors "in the middle" of your gaunt squad. Total encirclement of your warriors mgiht slow your gaunts so leave a hole at the back of the formation so that warriors can leave it. Result: during movement, the last gaunt will be approx. 2" behind your warriors. Keep that distance (it should't be too hard...with run) When charging, the last gaunt will be within synapse range.

This trick works and barely slow your wave down. Furthemore, it keeps your warriors in cover, and when the tide hits the enemy ranks, you can be sure that your hard hitting warriors will get stuck in the next turn.

There!

nidz
10-23-2009, 07:12 AM
i still disagree wtih u cause synapse is 12 inches once the hormagaunts are in close combat the first round they just need to survive plus with warriros running ive kept synapse before all u have to do is be sure to keep one guy straggling back using there leaping ability to keep all there attacks in.

StarWarsDoug
10-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I think we can safely say the stats posted on 7 and discussed on 10 are bogus. The pricing lists, the "toxathrope" pic, etc, seem to confirm they are false...seeing as how the creatures with real pics and/or pricing seem to play no part in those stat lists....

The Imperator
10-24-2009, 11:15 PM
two words WINGED CARNIFEX

Andrew283
10-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Any news on the plastic Hive Tyrant??

Deej
10-25-2009, 11:18 AM
two words WINGED CARNIFEX

*facepalm*

Madjob
10-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Any news on the plastic Hive Tyrant??

Signs point to no new Hive Tyrant model, but there may be plastic Raveners and :eek: Gargoyles.

oldone
10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
wow i played a campain with a artfacit in it which gave my HQ jumppack but since i had a flytrant the games master said i could put on my carefex trust me its was funny

Tacoo
10-27-2009, 07:05 AM
lets seethat compete with my lemon russ thats a skimmer!

BS FADE
10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
lets seethat compete with my lemon russ thats a skimmer!

I'm not sure what that means but it makes me angry.

i just hope they dont go overboard on the units that are still good and make now weaker ones useful. Hearing of plastic ravenors makes me happy, i just hope we get to see one soon.

twistinthunder
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Signs point to no new Hive Tyrant model, but there may be plastic Raveners and :eek: Gargoyles.

actually we're probably not seeing a plastic tyrant.

from warseer:

Trygon (Plastic kit) – Alessio has been quoted as saying at GD Italy, "I cannot speak about the Trygon, but a hypothetical model would have the same detail and more versatility than the Skaven Doombell"

The pictures below have been confirmed by Brimstone as resin masters of the kit, rather than the kit itself:

Gargoyles (Plastic kit) £18.00 / US$29.00 / 22,75€ / Oz$48.00 – No news yet

Raveners (Plastic kit) £27.00 / US$44.50 / 35,00€ / Oz$74.00 – No news yet

Pyrovore (Metal box set) £20.00 / US$33.00 / 26,00€ / Oz$55.00 – No news yet

Toxathrope (Metal Blister) £12.00 / US$20.00 / 17,50€ / Oz$33.00 – Shown in White Dwarf:

Hive Guard (Metal Blister) £12.00 / US$20.00 / 17,50€ / Oz$33.00 – No News yet.

New Battleforce box £60.00 / US$??.?? / 85,00€ / Oz$165.00 – No news yet on contents.

Andrew283
10-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Thoses prices are rubbish. £60 for a battleforce is madness and GW never charge £27 for anything

Scryer in the Darkness
10-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Thoses prices are rubbish.
Those prices are straight from GW. Get used to them.

£60 for a battleforce is madness
The Empire Battalions is £60, as will be the Tyranid Battleforce.

and GW never charge £27 for anything
They do now... or rather they will in January.

Andrew283
10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Pash and why reprice the guard???

StratManKudzu
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
They are not the existing tyrant guard models but new hive guard models. new species, new rules, new models, new price

The Custodian
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
... Scryer is here now also? Huh... As Strat said Hive Gaurd does not equal Tyrant Gaurd...

xarius
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
when you think of the original trygon rumours came out years ago with the planetstrike/valkyrie etc. rumours it seems to have been a batch of designs that have been put in motion and only time will tell what happens but it seems likely that these new 'big' kits will come out for every new race (wolves are an exception as they are just marines with extra gubbinz)

did that make any sense?

Madjob
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
actually we're probably not seeing a plastic tyrant.

That's precisely what I was reconfirming.

More speculation: if Tyranid Warriors are being broken up into multiple slots as per specializations, perhaps these 'Hive Guard' are taking their place within the HQ slot: tougher, smarter, more powerful squads of Warriors to serve as an HQ choice. Maybe they can take more of the heavier bioweapons, or psychic powers as well.

StratManKudzu
10-27-2009, 08:17 PM

More speculation: if Tyranid Warriors are being broken up into multiple slots as per specializations, perhaps these 'Hive Guard' are taking their place within the HQ slot: tougher, smarter, more powerful squads of Warriors to serve as an HQ choice. Maybe they can take more of the heavier bioweapons, or psychic powers as well.

Yeah, and lets hope they don't look ridiculous like the Tyrant guard models...

Scryer in the Darkness
10-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Pash and why reprice the guard???
I ain't pashing no one! :p

... Scryer is here now also?
From time to time... :)

twistinthunder
10-28-2009, 02:18 AM

i must've been tired cause i completely misread that. lol

zanzibarthefirst
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
£27 raveners may imply that the current £25 boxsets like termiantors, dreadnaughts, some tanks and the like will be giong up in Jan. Either this will be a stealth price increase or it'll be in Decembers's WD

the one
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree with the above. Buy £25 kit now my children.

twistinthunder
10-29-2009, 01:03 PM
i thought gargoyles were going to be 10 to a pack?

Duke
10-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I for one would like ten to a pack plastic gargoyles! Great wings for conversions...

Duke

Scoota
10-30-2009, 05:12 AM
£27 raveners may imply that the current £25 boxsets like termiantors, dreadnaughts, some tanks and the like will be giong up in Jan. Either this will be a stealth price increase or it'll be in Decembers's WD

Given that the Raveners are going to be plastic, I wonder if this means that they will come in a box of 5?

And oooh - plastic gargoyle wings! I wonder what they'll be like to convert with???

warpcrafter
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
If they're doing anything with the Gargoyles, they need to replace their current crappy flying stands. Those things snap if you breath hard in their general direction!

Deej
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
If they're doing anything with the Gargoyles, they need to replace their current crappy flying stands. Those things snap if you breath hard in their general direction!

Agreed. I actually have 10 of the very first metal gargoyles, but not a single stand has survived.

Deej
10-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Was just thinking - Raveners becoming cheap to buy might fit in with Genestealers becoming Elites. I can see them filling much the same role, but just in large numbers rather than being as 'ard as a Genestealer model-for-model.

twistinthunder
10-31-2009, 01:53 PM
the first post needs to change. toxathrope needs to be changed to venomthrope because thats the english name for it.

The Custodian
11-02-2009, 12:13 AM
New chunk of rumours from warseer...

Take with a grain of salt, no real reliable source but its still something...

hi peoples i have some info about the next nids dex, yea i know i am not a big poster and my information is second hand (at best) but he had picture on his phone ! From what i recall :

-gargoyle : flying/rending/6points

-genestealers 2 brand of : the elite with a 4+ sv and the troop one with the generic save (5+ ? can't remenber). Infiltrate/fleet but don't know if all can do it or if you need to buy an upgrade or a special character.

-tyrant bodyguard can be taken separately

-an apocalypse sized creature is in the codex, it enter in play with a deep strike (in fact an underground strike) with the large template strengh 8 and ap : low (3 maybe, but was something sick) and can make a "buckload" of firing !

-Multiple carnifex can be bought with only one slot.

-warrior got something new but can't remember (i think it was +1hp)

-I heard something about a model shooting 20 times but was speaking with a girl a this point, so i can't say if it's was a weapon or multiple weapon on the same model.

-one eyes, red terror and friends are back in the codex.

there was more but Halloween hang over is pretty hard :), i can't remenber anything else. these sources are usualy not 100% but are not complete ******** as they spent their summer speaking about "the sick space wolf wolf rider with rending" ;)

have a good night

Im assuming by 'make a buckload of firing' he means take... Otherwise its a completely new ranged version of the trygon.

EDIT:
Here's another thing that just cropped up...

I know from a reliable source (a guy who gets to check for translation errors) that at least the 1-3 Carnifexes is true, so the other rumours arent that unprobable

Pi666
11-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Don't know if anyone posted this before or if it was known (long thread...) but i read that the nids will be out 9th january 2010

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_40k_tyr_ess_101_001

Deej
11-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Don't know if anyone posted this before or if it was known (long thread...) but i read that the nids will be out 9th january 2010

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_40k_tyr_ess_101_001

I want it now... Or at least before Christmas so I can get people to buy me something I actually want!

Frozen Tiger
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
I heard a rumour over at warseer that the red terror, old one eye and the death leper will be unit upgrades a la Lukas, Telion etc... I hope that at least for lictors and carnifexes they can still be taken individually so i can use these characters without having to buy a whole unit to boot

oldone
11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
right whose rurours say gargolyes are 6pt this means arrcording to rurmours hormgaunts and gargolys are the same points and gargolys get rending

UltraPrime
11-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Looking forward to Jan now. Bring on the 'Nids!

Bigred
11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Latest from the mill...

-Release date is January 16th (apparently pushed back due to some manner of printing snafu)

-A new Tyranid Batallion box is listed on retailer schedules for December 5th oddly enough. Contents are currently unknown.

-Carnifex will be made to be more assaulty. The shooty buildouts are said to have been dropped in overall power.

-Many FOC options for Warriors based on buildouts.

-Genestealers are going to be reduced stat wise. Moved to Elites.

-Broodlord and Lictors will be much improved.

Lerra
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
right whose rurours say gargolyes are 6pt this means arrcording to rurmours hormgaunts and gargolys are the same points and gargolys get rending

If this is true, Gargoyles are probably 6 points base without rending. Likely, they're more like 9 points with rending - or maybe one of the upgrade characters gives rending to its squad.

Cthulhu
11-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Rending in 5th edition is not worth 3 pts, it's barely worth 1 pt. If Rending significantly factors into the cost of a model I'm just not interested, it's really become one of the most garbage USRs in the game.

DarkLink
11-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Rending in 5th edition is not worth 3 pts, it's barely worth 1 pt. If Rending significantly factors into the cost of a model I'm just not interested, it's really become one of the most garbage USRs in the game.

You might want to crunch the numbers again before you say that. The rending nerf wasn't nearly as bad as you seem to think it was, and it was kinda needed.

Andrew283
11-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Rending still rules!

Sam
11-13-2009, 02:24 PM
-The bane wolf... can't think of any better troop destroyer!!...12'' Range template wound on 2+ AP 3 .... hum... OP!

The Bane Wolf does not have a 12" range template, only the Hellhound does. Bane Wolf is just a template.

MVBrandt
11-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, this is an easy one to number crunch.

Let us presume 6 point gargoyles with a 3 point rending upgrade.

So, 10 gargoyles for 60 points vs. 6 gargoyles for 54 points ... to get things to an even #, we need 90 points ... so 15 gargoyles nonrending vs. 10 gargoyles rending.

Let's keep bio-plas out of the equation, it wouldn't be affected anyway IIRC.

15 gargoyles charge with 30 attacks
10 charge with 20 attacks

Against guard

15 hits, 7.5 wounds, 5 dead guardsmen, max 7.5/15 dead
10 hits, 1.67 rends, 3.33 wounds, 3.89 dead guardsmen, max 5/10 dead

Against MEQ

15 hits, 5 wounds, 1.67 dead MEQ, max 5/15 dead
10 hits, 1.67 rends, 1.67 wounds, 2.23 dead MEQ, max 3.33/10 dead

Against Orks
15 hits, 5 wounds, 4.17 dead orks, max 5/15 dead
10 hits, 1.67 rends, 1.67 wounds, 3.06 dead orks, max 3.33/10 dead

And of course, 15 gargs have 5 more wounds than 10.

Rending would not be wroth 3 points in this case, IMO ... with the caveat that sure it adds value against monsters, vehicles, etc. ... but do you really want to spend that much to give yourself a chance against such targets?

Rending as a general rule enables a unit to become a threat to things it otherwise would not be, but in terms of improving its base effectiveness, it has to be cheap relative to the unit cost. That is to say, it's not worth diminishing your upper bounds of potential significantly for the sake of a "maybe" rend.

Gargs are an anti-infantry unit at best ... unless you are desperate to enable them to hurt vehicles, rending at the rumored cost above is not going to be a positive trade-off for their anti-infantry role.

crazyzombie
11-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I'd have to agree with MVbandit not because rending is bad (which it's not) but because athought 3 points don't make much of an point impact on a high point modle (ie most any modle over 15 points) it make a huge impact a molde who's base point cost is only double the upgrade. I mean that doesn't that big when looking at 10 with vs 15 without but if your running swarms it could be 60 with vs 90 without that's another unit! It just law of swarms uprades need to be dirt cheap if to be bought

MVBrandt
11-19-2009, 07:56 AM
So since I kinda killed this, how about some comic resurrection ...

People are getting soo crazy about the new Nid dex, someone faked a "Codex stolen at gunpoint from GW HQ" rumor on Warseer. Yeah.

There's a strong belief purveyed among the GW staff that the reason the rumors have been clamped down so tight is to prevent people going "MY CODEX IS COMING OUT IN 6 MONTHS? NOT GONNA BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS OR THE NEXT ONE."

While I can't really argue with that due to the lack of any real empirical evidence, and don't want to go down that route, once they've announced a codex at a Games Day themselves, why on Earth would you keep it clamped down so tightly? Anyone who plans to buy Nids (me, for example) is going to buy NOTHING while we wait for the new rules ... give us the preview on a couple of the better units, and we'll start buying right away on a longer and probably more spendy timeline. C'est la vie.

Anyway, it was a funny prank.

Edit: Someone saved it for posterity: http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showthread.php?p=136203

HsojVvad
11-19-2009, 08:42 AM
So since I kinda killed this, how about some comic resurrection ...

While I can't really argue with that due to the lack of any real empirical evidence, and don't want to go down that route, once they've announced a codex at a Games Day themselves, why on Earth would you keep it clamped down so tightly? Anyone who plans to buy Nids (me, for example) is going to buy NOTHING while we wait for the new rules ... give us the preview on a couple of the better units, and we'll start buying right away on a longer and probably more spendy timeline. C'est la vie.

http://forums.eternityofwar.com/showthread.php?p=136203

As you said, once it was announce that Tyranids at GD was being released they are still clamping down on rumours. The more stupider thing is, you can't buy a codex or box set or almost anything from Tyranids, that is sold out. I want to buy anthour battlebox for anticipatiing the new codex. I can't now because GW dosn't sell it now.

So what is it GW? You are not releasing rumours so we still buy things, but how can we buy things when the things we want are not on sale. Namely box sets and Gaunts. GW makes no sence at all right now with their new philosophy, what ever it is.

Lerra
11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
rending at the rumored cost above

Just to clarify, I pulled the points cost out of thin air as an example. I would be surprised if rending is included for free at 6 points a model - that seems awfully strong for a mobile unit like gargoyles.

You showed that 3 points/model is probably too expensive for rending, but 1-2 points would probably work. Otherwise at 3 points, it might be viable to upgrade only one or two models in the squad for wound allocation and that little extra oomph versus certain targets.

DarkLink
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, rending's not so great against stuff without armor, especially on a unit as cheap as gargoyles. That's not what rending is good for. 10 gargoyles killing ~3 marines on the charge thanks to rending is actually fairly good, considering how cheap the gargoyles are. The rending would be wasted on orks and guard, though.

The Custodian
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, some new morsels from warseer, seems noone has been keeping BOLS up to date :p

First since im to lazy to type things again heres some quotes...

Have some news for you guys...

Was at the my GW earlier and discussed the newer nid rumours with some of the staff, anywho the confirmed to me the existance of the trygon in the dex, which isn't new, but said the new kit will also be able to create a new nid, something called a Mawloch. This seems to confirm the "4 new species" thing. Also the comment that the trygon kit would be like the new skaven doombell.

Later confirmed

The Mawloc is a Trygon variant with a distending mouth (like the Red Terror) and lots of funny spines all over it.

And recently...

So, small update, the Hive Guard look awesome, surely a model everyone will want to have, but imo is also going to be a new "Zoa" in terms of its tippy-ness. It's a tall bit of metal. Those others who have seen can confirm.

For me, i'm thinking weighted bases may be in my future.

Ravener sprues are much more pleasing than the gargoyles to me. I doubt we will hear much complaining at all from these.

My understanding is "most" of whats coming will be in Dec. WD. With some "surprise(s)" still being held for Jan. reveal and later Direct release.

Beyond this, I cannot say anything more, sorry. Price you pay to get more access.

And,

This is from another source,

"The rumors around CC are running rampant. There is no doubt their effectiveness will be improved in the new codex. Models equipped will get a strength boon and the additional glance or wound on hit, so you can say these will be can-openers."

I also heard the rumor that the nid ability that has been mentioned prior with CC is they can latch onto vehicles and prevent movement away from combat at the expense of their bonus attacks.

Pic is not public yet.

ENJOY!

EDIT: I just had a look through the topic and it seems this also has yet to be posted.... It makes the last couple quotes make sense...

Todays Rumors

These rumors are from early on. So subject to all standard rumor caveats. I'm removing those we already have, and those we know to be false.

To support more Fex' in the army an overall reduction in stats should take place, however, increases elsewhere compensate (not sure if they mean in weapons or in the statline)

Crushing Claws are huge "can openers"...+1A, double s (10Max), ignore as, add d6 pen, d3 "wounds"/"vehicle hits" (too good to be true, IMO)

Talons +1A, "pinning"?

Spinefists, fire and run (is this the rumor "subconcious weapon" we heard before?)

Barbed Strangler, large blast, entangle...unit next move as difficult terrain (Again, I thought this was a rumor elsewhere, too)

Bone sword, pretty much the same

Lashwhip, remove X attacks from attacking unit (allocate as wounds), can target individual, but then only affects single model. no min 1A. no longer base contact constrained. (a lot here and it seems complex, so I highly doubt all (or any) this is true, but I have no way to separate wheat from chaff)

Surprise Assault. (I'm not sure where this fits, if its an ability, a psychic thing, a army rule, a deployment rule, etc. If I were guessing I'd think it's lictor or Scuttlers related.) Unit enters play from reserve anywhere on table. must be 12" from enemy. Cannot assault the turn it enters play. Allowed normal DS "run"

Enjoy boys....

Madjob
11-20-2009, 12:30 PM
To support more Fex' in the army an overall reduction in stats should take place, however, increases elsewhere compensate (not sure if they mean in weapons or in the statline)

Crushing Claws are huge "can openers"...+1A, double s (10Max), ignore as, add d6 pen, d3 "wounds"/"vehicle hits" (too good to be true, IMO)

These two together are confusing but also somewhat worrying, as there's two ways we can take the information together:

1. Carnifexes will be losing a large amount of strength, making Crushing Claws necessary to bring their strength up to what we're used to.
2. Carnifexes are not losing a large amount of strength (though still some, possibly), but Crushing Claws will be available to creatures aside from Carnifexes.

It could be both, with Carnifexes losing a lot of strength and the biomorph being an option for other creatures.

Talons +1A, "pinning"?

Scything Talons? The pinning part is odd, I wonder if it means that if they fail a morale check, they don't strike on their initiative. Envenomed claws seems pretty standard. Rending Claws on the other hand sounds dubious, it's possible but I don't like the implications of reverting a single army's rending rules to the old version.

Spinefists, fire and run (is this the rumor "subconcious weapon" we heard before?)

Barbed Strangler, large blast, entangle...unit next move as difficult terrain (Again, I thought this was a rumor elsewhere, too)

Bone sword, pretty much the same

Lashwhip, remove X attacks from attacking unit (allocate as wounds), can target individual, but then only affects single model. no min 1A. no longer base contact constrained. (a lot here and it seems complex, so I highly doubt all (or any) this is true, but I have no way to separate wheat from chaff)

Surprise Assault. (I'm not sure where this fits, if its an ability, a psychic thing, a army rule, a deployment rule, etc. If I were guessing I'd think it's lictor or Scuttlers related.) Unit enters play from reserve anywhere on table. must be 12" from enemy. Cannot assault the turn it enters play. Allowed normal DS "run"

Subconscious weapon does indeed sound fun, allowing gaunts a surprising amount of mobility. I was never much of a fan of Lash Whips, however. Surprise assault, if it indeed applies to Lictors, is a step in the right direction, getting rid of a problem the unit never should have had in the first place. Now let's just hope they fix the other problems our tentacle-faced friends have....

cooklee
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
ad start sorry for my English is weak :P

so samthing what may by true :)

subconcious weapon count as a pair of pistols, and
consequently the user will gain an extra
Attack for having 2 close combat weapons

Bone Sword:
The Tyranid must reroll failed rolls to hit in
close combat, even against vehicles that do
not have a weapon skill.

PSYCHIC POWERS
Catalyst:
This power may be used at the beginning of
any phase in your turn or your opponents!.
Choose a friendly brood and take a psychic
test. If the test is passed and the target
brood is within 18”, then the target gains the
benefit of the counter-attack universal
special rule until the end of your opponent!s
turn.

Mind Lance:
Mind Lance is a Psychic Shooting Attack
with the following profile:
Range 18”, S9, AP 2, lance

Psychic Scream:
This power replaces shooting, but is not a
psychic shooting attack. Psychic scream is
used after the brood!s other shooting, but
before another brood shoots. All enemy
units within 12” must take a pinning test. The
enemy must take a pinning test for each
psychic scream used.

Warp Blast:
Warp Blast is a Psychic Shooting Attack with
the following profile:
Range 24”, S5, AP 3, 3” blast

BuFFo
11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
The Bane Wolf does not have a 12" range template, only the Hellhound does. Bane Wolf is just a template.

Neither does the Hellhound. It is actually around 20ish inches. I forget what it is exactly.

the one
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Sorry, my computer was attacked by a virus (BankerFox A) and I couldn't get on for a while except at other peoples computers for a few minutes. Will update regully now. Cooklee is what you say reliable?

cooklee
11-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Cooklee is what you say reliable?
i thing this rumour have senses(and because of that i put it here ) but i don't trust my source

The Custodian
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Its not, its just a rehash of what was in the april fools dex.... I dont place any faith in it.

HsojVvad
11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Cooklee is what you say reliable?

Well the people on Warseer forums say those rumours are fake, and just reworded from a previous fake dex.

the one
11-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Only 53 days to the release.

HsojVvad
11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your help so far. Only 53 days to the release.

53 long days. I havn't been this excited for a codex release in a long long time.

Bigred
11-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Latest word says Tyranid Black Boxes ship out the first week of December. Look for the preview copies in your FLGS.

Deej
11-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Latest word says Tyranid Black Boxes ship out the first week of December. Look for the preview copies in your FLGS.

Apologies for the n00b question, but is a black box the advance copies the stores get?

Mike X
11-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Apologies for the n00b question, but is a black box the advance copies the stores get?

It's a perfectly reasonable question. But yes, the "black box" is advance sprues.

OnFyre
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
And now for a really noobish question: What's an FLGS? Fairly Local Game Shop?

DarkLink
11-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Close. Friendly local gaming store.

Bard of Twilight
12-01-2009, 03:59 AM
As a more Eldar-Marines/Wolves-Guard player I have a really bad feeling about the new nids:eek::eek::eek:

MVBrandt
12-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Some newer rumors are poppingn as a result of distributors talking to GW sales reps/etc.

That I've heard, mostly on warseer ... please forgive the lack of credit, but check the nid mark 3 rumor thread there, these are not from me.

- Broodlord NOT an HQ selection, but an upgrade for Genestealer squads; genes are either troops, or buying a broodlord makes them troops; generally, the rumor mill has one point that says Broodlord is an upgrade to a troop unit, and Genestealers are elites, but Broodlord makes them troops; these combined seem to imply that you buy genestealers as elites, but if you upgrade one of them to a Broodlord, they become a Troop unit
- Zoanthropes moved to Elite
- Fexes indeed in 1-3 / heavy support slot
- Raveners buffed to be more appealing/reliable
- Warriors to gain +1 wound/save possibly, and are definitely available as Troops
- Tyrants may be the only standard HQ choice (perhaps other options in the special character department?)
- Termagant and Hormagaunt boxes have 12 models supposedly, not 8, for $24
- Some commentary pointing at Fast Attack Trygons, but I don't know that this is actually true; if it is, would be possible to field a 14 MC list legally force org wise
- No more 0-1 choices for any units in the dex (aside from possible uniques)
- Death Leaper, Red Terror are in (typo possibly, but rumor originally said Death Leapers plural ... doubtful that was intentional)
- Trygon kit allows 3 different units / variants, including the already mentioned Mawloch

Brass Scorpion
12-01-2009, 09:44 AM
>> Broodlord NOT an HQ selection, but an upgrade for Genestealer squad

So, does that mean players may have more than one Broodlord, one for each Genestealer brood, or is it a unique unit upgrade like Sgt. Telion for example?

MVBrandt
12-01-2009, 09:51 AM
No idea, that's been talked about various spots; I could see it both ways.

My own PURE SPECULATION is based on a conglomeration of rumors ...

Earlier, someone dropped hints on warseer that there might be a way to get a squad to be able to consolidate into new combats, but that it would be super expensive to do so across the entire army.

That, coupled w/ the newer Broodlord rumors, leads me to SPECULATE that the Broodlord grants genestealers the ability to consolidate from combat to combat, and makes them troops. I could see them not being UNIQUE, and so being able to field super expensive troops genestealer squads all w/ the capacity to go from combat to combat (this would NOT be competitive, though, for obvious points reasons, I would wager).

That's my $.02, but there's no confirmation even that they are a squad upgrade ... it's just the rumor at present.

Orminah
12-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I have reason to believe that the Tyranids will also be getting a heirodule in their codex, I know it's a shot in the dark, but the post for today on GW's homepage on the US site had the "New Armys" segment and there was a Tyranid army described as having "one of everything in the Tyranid codex", now I am not sure if this is a tease, a mistake made by GW, or the plausable truth, but who knows, maybe the Trygon was just a piece of meat GW was hanging over us.

MVBrandt
12-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Venn Diagrams are for the win. He could have had every single model in the current codex, and a baneblade, and they still could have said "has at least one of every model in codex." It would not have meant a baneblade was in the codex.

Orminah
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I said this because of the fact that it specifies the Tyranid codex, and nor did I say it was a sure thing. It is only a possibility. I adknowledge the fact GW could be using word-play to play with our minds. It's just a rumor/thought.

MVBrandt
12-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Yeah, I'm not trying to bite your head off or anything. There's no Venomthrope, no Pyrovore, no Trygon, no Hive Guard, etc. That, coupled w/ the fact that until January 16, "the" Tyranid Codex is the 4th edition one, renders the picture irrelevant to anything in the Jan 16 dex.

unwieldysquig
12-02-2009, 06:31 AM
I have reason to believe that the Tyranids will also be getting a heirodule in their codex, I know it's a shot in the dark, but the post for today on GW's homepage on the US site had the "New Armys" segment and there was a Tyranid army described as having "one of everything in the Tyranid codex", now I am not sure if this is a tease, a mistake made by GW, or the plausable truth, but who knows, maybe the Trygon was just a piece of meat GW was hanging over us.

The most likely reason is the author didn't know what he was talking about when he wrote those blurb for the website. Gee-dub has a great track record for making simple mistakes in print.

MVBrandt
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
From soonerhef at warseer: 99120106017 Tyranid Battleforce 46 Fig Box 5-Dec-09 $105.00
99060106064 Tyranid Spore Mines 9 Fig Blister 16 Jan-10 $16.50
60030106003 Codex: Tyranids (English)96pp 16-Jan-10 $25.00
99120106016 Tyranid Ravener Brood 3 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $44.50
99120106018 Tyranid Gargoyle Brood 10 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $29.00
99120106019 Tyranid Trygon / Mawloc 1 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $49.50
99110106063 Tyranid Pyrovore 1 Fig Box 16-Jan-10 $33.00
99120106021 Tyranid Termagant Brood 12 Fig Box 12-Dec-09 $24.75
99120106020 Tyranid Hormagaunt Brood 12 Fig Box 12-Dec-09 $24.75
9906010606201 Tyranid Venomthrope 1 Fig Blister 16-Jan-10 $20.00
9906010606101 Tyranid Hive Guard 1 Fig Blister 16-Jan-10 $20.00

Raveners, despite being plastic, are pretty darned expensive ...
In line with GW annual report commentary:

Other things we have found are: better trade terms - designed to help those who make the serious commitment of having
a real store where they can talk to customers and explain how our games work and teach modelling and painting; a more
sustainable store opening model - smaller, cheaper stores that open when we want them to be (not mall operators) and
can be run by just one member of staff if need be; higher prices - enabling us to respond when costs increase
dramatically as the price of tin did last summer; and, very importantly, a better balance between the price of our plastic
miniatures and our metal ones - for similar models prices ought to be similar and not less 'because they are plastic'.

sirisaacnuton
12-02-2009, 11:26 AM
and, very importantly, a better balance between the price of our plastic miniatures and our metal ones - for similar models prices ought to be similar and not less 'because they are plastic'.

My butt...Pink Horrors and Plaguebearers are right at twice the price of Bloodletters and Daemonettes. Hard to get models more "similar" than the 4 basic lesser Daemons of the 4 Gods (particulary in WFB where they all have the exact same point cost). I see no particular difference other than metal vs. plastic. And since there's no way they would half the price of the metal ones (even the older 10-man Horror box was $40 back when it was available), the only way to have similar prices would be to basically double the cost of the plastic troops.

I wonder if that explains the outrageous cost of the plastic Raveners... $15 a pop is a ton for plastic dudes. 50% more than the plastic Termies, iirc.

If this is really a trend they're going for, it's pretty disturbing...making plastic kits cost the same as equivalent metal ones could mean some serious cost increases, particularly if coupled with the "raise prices" bullet right before it. I don't look forward to plastic squads who are $25 per model because they're "similar" to Bloodcrushers (anyone picturing plastic Thunderwolves at $25 each or $75 for a box set of 3?).

MVBrandt
12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Definitely the trend; that's a direct quote of the Chairman from their 2009 annual report, so ...

HsojVvad
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Definitely the trend; that's a direct quote of the Chairman from their 2009 annual report, so ...

Well if it is true, I would sincerly hope not one person buys a or field any Ravenours to teach GW a lesson. That is ridiculous. They keep telling us plastic will make things cheaper, and now they can do plastice they lie to us to get more money from us.

I swear I will be camping out of GW stores and be telling people how to save money and shop else where, for GW products. I don't mind GW making a profit, but this is just plain greed. If this is true, it will be the last penny a GW store gets money from me, and I will be shopping else where.

It's one thing to tell us metal is so expensive so they have to charge us alot, and once they in plastic it would be cheaper. Now they are in plastic and they don't lower the price. It almost make me want to quit the hobby of GW now.

The Custodian
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Hey guys, new stuff from warseer! Pictures! From Carnassire,

Links for news ( photos with phone by
for new toxatrophe http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8281/photo0016d.jpg

Hive gard :http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3577/photo0013r.jpg

Gargoyle :http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5805/photo0014.jpg

Ravener : http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8965/photo0015t.jpg

( take by another guy at a premium store)

Bigred
12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Above mentioned pics, cleaned up:

Left to right:
Gargoyle, Hive Guard, Ravener, Toxatrope

Duke
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
This almost makes me want to start a bugs army.

Duke

HsojVvad
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM

Duke

So what is stopping you? :D

Scoota
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I just had a look at the list of Nid releases for Jan 16, and have been thinking about the Nid Battleforce box.
It says 46 models, with no 'Fex. I seem to recall the last one had:
3 Warriors
8 Genestealers
12 Hormagaunts
12 Termagants
3 Rippers
1 Carnifex
39 models.

I am wondering what the new one will have. Possibly 12 Genestealers and 6 Warriors and 4 Rippers?
Anybody have any thoughts or information about this?

DarkLink
12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
My butt...Pink Horrors and Plaguebearers are right at twice the price of Bloodletters and Daemonettes. Hard to get models more "similar" than the 4 basic lesser Daemons of the 4 Gods (particulary in WFB where they all have the exact same point cost).

If they can't make the metal models cheaper, they'll just make the plastic ones more expensive. GW is a business. They can't just slash prices on large percentages of their products. The prices are based on how much it costs GW to produce them, NOT on what the models cost in-game.

Xas
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
If they can't make the metal models cheaper, they'll just make the plastic ones more expensive. GW is a business. They can't just slash prices on large percentages of their products. The prices are based on how much it costs GW to produce them, NOT on what the models cost in-game.

dude... the price is based on what GW thinks they can get at most out of us.

if the price was purely based on costs the stompa would cost twice as much as the baneblade (and still be cheaper than now).

I've long ago accepted that GW will never be cheap (and so I believe the cheaper gaunts when 12 per pack the day I open one of the new boxes and as I own ~2*200 gaunts this will be long off :P ) but what bugs me is that the ravener in that pic appears nowhere near as amazing as all the new skaven stuff the did.

seams my nid-money will go to skaven then :(

Melissia
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Duke

+1. I might be bothered to buy a lictor just to paint it. Maybe to include it in apoc games for ****s and giggles.

Brass Scorpion
12-02-2009, 07:41 PM
If you're a Tyranid fan, here's some info from The War Store

From http://www.thewarstore.com/

Tyranids Battleforce Unboxed!!!December 2nd, 2009
There has been some confusion as to what exactly is going to be included in the new ‘nid box.
Well we have one and we opened it up. Here is what it contained:
3 Tyranid Warriors
8 Geanstealers
16 Hormogaunts
16 Termagaunts
3 Ripper Swarms
and 6 gaunt accessory sprues

Melissia
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
lol jeanstealers.

Just_Me
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
lol jeanstealers.

Ohs Noes!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70871&d=1254069094

DarkLink
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
dude... the price is based on what GW thinks they can get at most out of us.

...that's kinda what I was saying.

It costs GW a certain amount to produce stuff, so they won't charge less than that. On top of that, because they are a business, they will charge as much as they can get away with on top of that. Kinda the basic principal of Keysian economics.

GW has every right to set the price at whatever they want it to be. We, on the other hand, have the right to spend our money elsewhere. It's a delicate balance.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen a few other funny pics of "jeanstealers". Time for a google search!

EDIT:
Yeah, this is what I saw:
http://www.warhammer-game.com/images/JeanStealerHumor.jpg

RocketRollRebel
12-02-2009, 10:43 PM
haha jeanstealers ftw!!!

My tyranid playing friend was a bit dismayed by the loss of the 'fex in the battle force. He would just buy one whenever he needed another carnifex and considered the rest of the minis a sweet bonus. I think he got like 6 or 7 of them total. haha

Just_Me
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I think he got like 6 or 7 of them total. haha

Good God-Emperor! Who needs that many carnis? Frigging scary...

sirisaacnuton
12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Good God-Emperor! Who needs that many carnis? Frigging scary...

Soon to need 9, if the rumors be true...

HsojVvad
12-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Soon to need 9, if the rumors be true...

Maybe 12, if the Carni is still an Elite choice as well. Hell maybe even more than that if old one eye would let them be troops :eek:

DarkLink
12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I doubt they'll bother with elite carnifexes if you can take squads of them as heavys.

The Custodian
12-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Probably, however there was a small rumour floating about about how the trygon may be a fast attack.... :D

MVBrandt
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I've heard Trygon fast attack, fexes heavy only but 1-3/ slot, and tyrants as only hq. 10+ monster armies will be very realistic, with points to spare for cheap-o gaunts, if those things are all true.

sirisaacnuton
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha... 'Fexes as Troops... now that would be hilarious. And awesome.

If the Trygon is actually in the book, I'd imagine it'd either have to be scaled down in power or its cost might be a little prohibitive to include in a massed monster army. Of course, I don't actually know how much a Trygon costs in the IA, so I could be wrong.

Though a 15+ MC army at 'Ard Boyz might be incredible.

Brass Scorpion
12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
'Fexes as Troops... now that would be hilarious. And awesome.
I've been thinking of selling my Tyranid army as I've only used it four times in 14 years. But if Carnifexes are troops, I have to admit that might boost my interest level, though I don't think I'd ever want to play against Tyranids again. If you thought Ork mobs could be serious trouble, imagine being swarmed by a horde of Carnifex. Ouch.

Melissia
12-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Oddly enough, if carnifexes are in squads of three... I think I'll actually prefer that over having them as individuals...

*hugs her exorcists* Exorcist > Carnifex, every time :D

Scoota
12-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Oddly enough, if carnifexes are in squads of three... I think I'll actually prefer that over having them as individuals...

*hugs her exorcists* Exorcist > Carnifex, every time :D

Oh, dear Lord. I hope that the Carnifex units have the clause "may operate independently during the game."
Otherwise Exorcist IS > Carnifex.

Except 9 Carnifex > 3 Exorcists.
FTW.

Melissia
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
If it does, then it needs to be very expensive to get it. Having nine relatively cheap independent giant monsters is far, far too much.

DarkLink
12-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Heck, the ONLY reason why Nidzilla doesn't still utterly dominate is because they have trouble with tanks and scoring. With better anti-tank, and the ability to take even more monstrous creatures than before, I don't see how this is all going to work out in the end.

Hopefully this trend continues* when they get around to Grey Knights:cool:

*I jest. I actually think GW's done an impressive job at powerful but balanced codices in 5th so far.

Brass Scorpion
12-06-2009, 10:01 AM
The Tyranid Codex had a major printing error in it so no preview copy in the stores at the usual time and the release date on the book has been pushed back till a corrected print run can be obtained.

MVBrandt
12-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Various useful tidbits from warseer ... bramgaunt and others ...

Box Descriptions, which give some data regarding what the various creatures will be doing ...

Tyranid Hormagaunt Brood
The Hormagaunt is a highly specialised Tyranid bioform. Each Hormagaunt has four razor-sharp claws specially developed for ripping and piercing flesh and armour, and powerful hind legs that allow the creature to dart into combat at an astounding speed.
This box set contains 12 multi-part plastic Hormagaunts. This 72-piece set includes: four different head designs and two different body designs. Models supplied with 25mm round bases.

Tyranid Termagant Brood
Termagants are fast, agile and cunning creatures. In planetary invasions, Termagants scuttle forward on four legs whilst unleashing torrents of fire from the anti-personnel bio-weaponry clutched in their clawed forelimbs.
This box set contains 12 multi-part plastic Termagants and one Ripper Swarm. This 175-piece set includes: three different head designs, two different body designs, fleshborers, spinefists, devourers, adrenal glands and toxin sacs. Also included are 12 25mm round bases and one 40mm round base.

Tyranid Hive Guard
The Hive Guard are charged with protecting Tyranid structures and are capable of unleashing salvo after salvo of intense firepower. Essentially gun-beasts, they are heavily armoured and have a body designed to be a stable firing platform for the massive impaler cannon bonded to their forelimbs. Physically linked to the shard-beasts that comprise the ammunition to their cannons, Hive Guard can target enemies with unerring accuracy - even those who they cannot see.
This blister contains one finely-detailed metal Tyranid Hive Guard armed with Impaler cannon. Model supplied with a 40mm round base.

Tyranid Venomthrope
The Venomthrope's whip-like tentacles drip with a multitude of alien poisons. Indeed, so potent are these toxins that it is believed that a Venomthrope's very touch means certain death. Under a Venomthrope's heavy carapace is a network of bulging, gas filled bladders that emit yellowish spore clouds. These clouds are lethal to non-Tyranid organisms and dense enough to obscure nearby Tyranid organisms.
This blister contains one finely-detailed metal Venomthrope. Model supplied with a 40mm round base.

Tyranid Pyrovore
A Pyrovore's maw drips with corrosive acids that are powerful enough to reduce armour, flesh and bone to a gooey, smouldering mucous. When confronted by a foe the Pyrovore launches forth an incandescent fireball from its dorsal bio-weapon that reduces its victim to a pile of burning ash.
This box set contains one seven-part, finely-detailed metal Tyranid Pyrovore. Model supplied with a 60mm round base

Tyranid Ravener Brood
Raveners were designed for shock assault and swift pursuit. They have incredible senses which allow them to track their prey over massive distances and detect the slightest movement, and a taut musculature that grants them terrifying speed. Raveners slither towards the foe with bewildering swiftness as their thorax-mounted weapon-symbiotes spit death.
This box set contains three multi-part plastic Tyranid Raveners. This 57-piece set includes a range of additional components that allow you to personalise your Ravener Brood. Models supplied with 40mm round bases.

Tyranid Gargoyle Brood
Gargoyles are often the first wave of a Tyranid swarm to be seen in battle. Thus a Tyranid attack is preceded by the beating of thousands of membranous wings as Gargoyle Broods descend upon the foe; blocking out the sun, and spitting death from their fleshborers and caustic venom from their fanged mouths.
This box set contains 10 multi-part plastic Tyranid Gargoyles. Models supplied with small flying bases.

Tyranid Trygon / Mawloc
The Trygon is a colossal serpentine creature whose iron-hard carapace is proof against all but the heaviest of weapons and whose giant talons can scythe through even the most formidable battle-tank. In battle, a Trygon's shifting mass generates lethal bio-electric energy that it unleashes upon its foes in vicious arcs of lighting.
Mawlocs are huge worm-like creatures with massive razor-toothed maws that act as the entryway to their equally cavernous gullets. Most of a Mawloc's victims are swallowed whole, there to be painfully digested. Anything to large to swallow is pounded flat by the Mawloc's muscular tail before being devoured.
This box set contains one large multi-part plastic miniature that can be assembled as either a Tyranid Trygon or Tyranid Mawloc. This 97-piece set contains a range of additional components that allow you to personalise your model. Model supplied with a large oval base.

And, rumor drops from Bramgaunt:

Well, I think I waited long enough to post some decent hints of rules. As Black Boxes will ship in next week and GWs official promo will start, I think I might already say some things so you guys wont go into the redshirts clutches unprepared.

Source is accurate. I still might have got some details wrong. I have not read the book, so please don't ask me questions, I'll tell you everything I know. No more, no less.

I'll start with the "boring" stuff.

Hormagaunts: Improved Initiative. Point costs halved.

Gaunts: nothing new there.

Gargoyles: A poisoned attack that excactly works as the Warhammer Fantasy Poisoned attacks rule work: Each roll of 6 to hit always wounds. Armour saves applied normally. Poison glands available. Point Costs halved.

Raveners: Plastic Kits of three with lots of options for thorax weapons.

Tyranid Warriors: Improved armoursaves, 3 Lifepoints each. Core unit. You still may have Tyrant Warrior Alphas as HQ choices.

Liktor: 3 for a FOC, no 0-1 Limit. 3 Lifepoints.
Liktor Death Leaper: In the list. WS9, I 7, Rending on 5+.

Old One Eye: In the list.

Red Terror: NOT in the list.

Hive Tyrand: The major HQ choice again.

Hive Guard: Harpoon Cannon does not need LOS. Longe Range weapon.
From a different angle, they really do NOT look like Centaurs at all. They just lean on their middle limbs to balance, bud they really are not 2 pairs of legs.

Genestealers: Point costs dropped. No info if they are core or elite.
Broodlord: Upgrade to all Genestealer squads. Psychic powers.

Venomthrope: poisened Attacks that wound on 2+. Grants 5+ cover save to all models within 6 inches.

Pyrovore: Melee Monster with flaming template weapon.

Zoanthrope: Apperantly no 0-1 choice any more.

Carnifexes: Squads of up to 3. Increased ballistic skills.

Trygon: He's there. Monstrous Creature.

Mawloc: He's there too.

Expect some new weaponsymbionts.

I had this for quiet some time, but I promised to keep it down. If you go to your local store the next days, yo probably will find the promotional posters with pictures of all the shinies.

MVBrandt
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
And pics of all the new bugs are up, please implicit confirmation of where they are in the force org ...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1490603&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

HQ:
Hive Tyrant
Tyrant Guard

Elite:
Zoanthrope
Venomthrope
Hive Guard
Pyrovore
Lictor

Troops:
Broodlord!
Warriors!
Genestealer
Gaunt
Ripper

Fast Attack:
Ravener
Gargoyle

Heavy Support:
Tyrgon
Biovore
Carnifex

Deej
12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Massively pleased to see all the shiny new stuff. Was outraged at the Pyrovore price point, then realised that's a 60mm base!

Melissia
12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
So... link?

Lord Azaghul
12-07-2009, 11:48 AM
So can we start "the sky is falling' thread yet?:D

MVBrandt
12-07-2009, 11:53 AM
So far there are no indicators that they've fixed the Tyranids' problems with reliable transport poppage other than "hurl bugs at them and pray." If they don't change that, their position in the metagame will not really move much at all, so I don't think the sky can be falling anytime until we get a look at the rules.

Fizyx
12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Sigh, so many more models to buy.

The wife is going to hate me.

The West Coast Knight
12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Want it all my Nids will join the ranks of my Dark Angels and go over 10000 points.

Just hope they make a Carnifex and or Trygon brood so I can take a ton of them in smaller games.

WCK