PDA

View Full Version : 2k Orks using the Burna Bommer

SotonShades
05-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Recently I have been playing with a completely non-competitive Ork list, trying to throw in as many units with random dice roll abilities (Warphead and Big Mek with a shokk attack gun as the HQs, Lootas, Flashgitz and Storm Boyz... you get the idea) just as a break from the heavilly tournament optimised Space marine List I had been running. Newho, with the release of the new bommers I decided to tweak the list and let you guys have a shufties, see what you think and any minor tweaks. I'm not looking to make it uber competitive ( or I wouldn't have included a burna bommer!) but any advice to just give it a better advantage in friendly games.

So, my Burna-Bommer 2000 Point Orks;

HQ
Old Zogwort
145 Points
• Nest of Vipers

Big Mek
105 Points
• Shokk attack gun, Choppa, Mek’s Tools, Cybork Body

Troops
Ork Boyz
215 Points
• Nob
o Slugga, Power klaw
• 29 Ork Boyz
o Slugga, Choppa

Ork Boyz
142 Points
• Nob
o Slugga, Big Choppa
• 11 Ork Boyz
o Shoota
• Trukk
o Red paint job, Grot riggers, Armour plates

Ork Boyz
157 Points
• Nob
o Slugga, Big Choppa
• 11 Ork Boyz
o Slugga, Choppa
• Trukk
o Red paint job, Grot riggers, Armour plates, Wreckin’ ball, Reinforced ram

Elites
Lootas
135 Points
• 6 Lootas
o Deffgun
• 3 Meks
o Mek’s tools, Big shoota

Heavy Support
Flash Gitz
515 Points
• Kaptin Badrukk
o Goldtoof armour, Da Rippa, 3 Powder Grotz, Bosspole, Slugga, Choppa, Gitfinda, Stikkbombs
• 9 Flash gitz
o ‘Eavy armour, Snazzgun, More Dakka, Blastas, Gitfinda
• Painboy
o Dok’s Tools, ‘Urty syringe

Fast Attack
Stormboyz
131 Points
• Nob
o Slugga, Power klaw, Rokkit Pack, Stikkbombz
• 7 Stormboyz
o Slugga, choppa, Rokkit Pack, Stikkbombz

Deffkoptas
275 Points
• 3 Deffkoptas
o Choppa, Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha
• 2 Deffkoptas
o Choppa, Twin-linked Rokkit Launcha, Buzzsaw

Burna-Bommer
180 Points
• Twin-linked big shoota, Twin-linked supa shoota, 2 burna bombs, 5 skorcha missiles, Red paint job.

Can deal with infantry fairly well. Same for lightly armoured vehicles and all but the toughest monstrous creatures (amazing how good Big choppa can be in that regard). Obvious weakness are High Toughness MCs and high AV vehicles, with the only high S weapons being Zogwort (S10 Melta psychic power, but have to roll for it5 on a D6 chart, with a re-roll), potentially the Big Mek (but again, can't rely on it), 2 Powerklaws and the missiles/buzzsaws on the Deffkoptas. That and having spent a quarter of my points on a slow infantry unit without a transport.

Tactics wise... well, target saturation really. Stuff Zogwort in with the big boys mob. Big mek in with the lootas. Trukk boyz and Stormboyz try to get into combat as soon as possible with the Deffkoptas trying to get behind enemy vehicles. Flashgits go hunting for elite units with their respectably low AP (on average) and reasonably survivability with 3 wound allocation groups, 4+ sv and FNP. Maybe even let them steal the shootaboys' trukk to get them to where they need to be quicker. Lastly the Bommer goes inreserve, hopefully to come on at a good time to call a Waaagh!, double shoot and loose all it's missiles. Then it's job it to clear and contest objectives.

So, comments, criticisms? Thoughts of other ways to play and detailed descriptions of why I should -*-Censored for all good Imperial Citizens by His most Hole Inquisition-*- with a lump hammer but no vaseline?

GrogDaTyrant
05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Not going Uber-Competitive is fine... even if the Ork codex barely has a toe-hold in the competitive side of gaming at the moment. But there are just some things about your list that are a little cringe-worthy. For starters, a mere 50± boys, divided almost evenly between 2 trukk mobs and 1 footslog, is bad news. And you've got *A LOT* of points wrapped up in your toys.

Here's my ramblings.
-HQs.-
I'm a fan of SAGs, but Zogwort is a gamble. Most armies you can expect to face will effortlessly shut him down (all loyalist marine types + eldar), and that is saying nothing about his random psychic power + reroll. His 'squig' ability is only guaranteed to work on one game before the player wises up to the threat, not too unlike loading a battlewagon full of burnas. I personally would swap one of your HQs out (preferably Zogwort), and replace him with a KFF for either your mechanized or footslogging portions. Trust me... there's a reason why KFF Meks are so common. They really are THAT good.

-Troops-
You've got the right idea with doubling up your trukk mobs, as they will need to tag-team their targets. But you're still better off giving those Nobs a PK. Big choppas are generally best in the Nob mobs, and mostly for Wound Abuse (which btw, I'm not a fan of). Even if you're opting to take down transports, you'll do it better with a PK due to it striking after the wave of S4 attacks from the boyz. If one of those manages to immobolize the vehicle, then the PK is practically guaranteed to do some heavy damage. Having a Big Choppa not only limits the unit's overall lethality, but also makes the Nob swing first against the transport prior to the boyz.

The Footsloggers should also probably take shootas so you have a solid firebase that can handle a wider variety of threats. The units that currently trump shootas in combat, are the same ones that trump Choppa/Sluggas, so trading out 1 attack per model for 2 shots at 18" range will help considerably.

Aside from PKs, all Nob-leaders should be taking Bosspoles. An 'as-you-need-it' reroll for Ld 7 is what currently gives Orks their primary resistance to fleeing off the board.

Another note about Ork troops, is there is a common phrase amongst Ork players. "Boyz before Toyz". Generally speaking, this means you should look to try to fill up your Troop slots as much as possible. If you have points to play with, dump them here. Either in more Trukk Mobs (preferably in multiples of 2), or another large mob of footslogging Shootas. Trukk Shootas can work, by the way.

-Elites-
Remove the Meks from the Lootas, and instead just run 9 Lootas. Unless you plan on frequently moving and redeploying the Lootas every couple of turns.

Heavy Support
The Flash-Gitz are a toss-up here. I get that you want random stuff, but they're just so bloody expensive for what you get. Still though, I know a few friends who swear by their flash-gitz. If anything, I'd say drop Baddrukk and Blasta, and make sure the upgrade you do take is the 2x shot (as otherwise they're painfully lackluster). Baddrukk himself is just stupidly expensive, but he is your only bosspole option if you don't attach an IC (*note*, this would e a good place to stick a KFF/Bosspole Mek). Regardless of what you do with them, they will need a transport. But seeing as you've got 2 open Heavy slots it might be better to try and squeeze in a Battlewagon, or the looted crap-rhino if you're low on points. Other viable option is to dragoon a trukk, like you mentioned. Though if you opt to do that, I recommend fielding a 3rd trukk-mob so you can keep 2 out on the field.

-Fast Attack-
I am going to ignore the flyer for this, though I would like to suggest trying to skim it's cost down a bit. 180pts for AV 10 is... a bit much. No matter how much firepower it unleashes.

So Stormboyz, I personally think your best option is Bosspole and go big or go home. They are nothing more than jet-pack slugga/choppas, and no more effective than them. However, a small-ish unit led by a PK Nob makes for a dirt-cheap and easy-to-hide unit that can quickly get to vehicles and terrain-hop. For that purpose, it is my understanding that other players have found 5 stormboyz led by a PK/bosspole Nob to be particularly effective... though brittle. The 100pt price tag is icing on the cake.

Deffkoptas though, are another matter altogether. As they are not led by Nobs, and cannot be fielded in units of 20+ (outside of Apoc), they tend to flee at a moment's notice. I have used them extensively in my warbike army as my primary tank-hunters, and my findings are to keep them at 3 or fewer models in a unit. Preferably about 2 per unit, unless fighting for space. The buzzsaw in this case is a bit pricey for 2-attacks (base) at Str 6 (7 on charge). If you take any buzzsaws, limit it to one. Deffkoptas are already expensive enough as-is. So I'd say trim them down to 3, with one saw, and you'll be saving yourself 115pts. The last thing you need is to put over 200+ points into a unit that takes 2 casualties and immediately runs for the board edge. Or worse... is 200+ pts and takes 3 casualties and has no chance of rallying. As an alternative, you could drop the Stormboyz for a second unit of Rokkit-Koptas, fielding 2 separate units of 2 for 90pts base, 115 with a buzzsaw. Yes it's min-maxing, but large units of Koptas are just too expensive for how fragile they are.

Hope this helps.