PDA

View Full Version : Skype Roleplaying

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I've heard of an interesting concept referring to the thread title, Skype Roleplaying, I just have a question for anyone who's done it as to how it's supposed to work? How do people not cheat?

I ask because I'd potentially like to set something up this way when I am all set up in my new place.

Gotthammer
06-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Most common thing is to use an in-chat dice roller (some RPG IRC channels have them), have the GM do all the rolling, or a virtual tabletop environment (http://roll20.net/).
Most groups I've seen use chat windows on top of the skype to send private messages as well.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Ah, thank you, that's very helpful.

I'll have a look into sorting something out... :D

alshrive
06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
i would definitely be interested in being involved!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-13-2012, 08:27 AM
You'd be first on the list bro!

Farseer Uthiliesh
09-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Hey everyone,

I've heard of an interesting concept referring to the thread title, Skype Roleplaying, I just have a question for anyone who's done it as to how it's supposed to work? How do people not cheat?

I ask because I'd potentially like to set something up this way when I am all set up in my new place.

I'm currently participating in an Only War campaign via skype, and it's doing very well. In fact, it runs better than tabletop roleplaying.

As for cheating, we just have an honesty-based system. So far it's doing well.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-08-2012, 03:03 AM
Oh, cool! Only War looks quite good.

I may do it, I may not. Depends if I can get the interest.

Nabterayl
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
I've had good success using roll20.net for online roleplaying.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll have a gander at that tonight after work. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

L192837465
09-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Just for everyone's FYI, the greatest RPG you can play via Skype is Paranoia. Ichat systems and quick and invisible notes make it absolutely hysterical. I had a TPK before we got to the briefing room because of the shenanigans. It was glorious and bloody.

scadugenga
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
A group of friends of mine have a weekly skype pathfinder game. It works well. I believe they use the roll20net for dice rolls.

War Painter
09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I would recommend using Roll20 as well. Its a fairly easy to use virtual table top that allows for a lot of features and control over the game. I'm using it for a game I'm running on Saturdays and I have to say I love it. It allows for dice rolling to be fair and equal, the DM doesn't have to worry about peaking, it has a built in voice and video chat if you want to use that. It has a built in radio player so you can set ambient music for your game. I'd honestly recommend anyone this if you want to run and online game with any RPG system.

Irdion
09-22-2012, 03:18 AM
Heya, I'd love to get involved in some 40K RPG goodness over Skype. Flip me a Skype invite at comfortzonetime

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Request sent. :)

Saliman
09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Skype is an interesting way of doing things in conjunction with MapTools for your map and identifying where everything is. Can be a bit clunky though, and doesn't quite have the redundancy I'd like if the host goes down. Most fun I've had is doing something on a TS3 server with a dice roll plugin. You can still use MapTools, or whatever visual system you want so you can work out what you are doing, but it's a lot easier to get people together on it.

As an interesting side point, from past research I've noticed that MapTools has a DH/RT framework that you can load into it, adding in all of the weapons, armour, stats etc, as well as progressing you through the combat. Was a buggy thing to play around with, but if it's working now it'd make for a much easier ride into the D100 system which can sometimes be an absolute pain to play with.

Chris*ta
09-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Just for everyone's FYI, the greatest RPG you can play via Skype is Paranoia. Ichat systems and quick and invisible notes make it absolutely hysterical. I had a TPK before we got to the briefing room because of the shenanigans. It was glorious and bloody.

Paranoia is my favourite RPG ever! Absolutely every adventure is incredibly fun, though usually has almost nothing to do with what the adventure is meant to be about :D

And what's TPK? I am not familiar with your TRIs :p

As for Skype roleplaying ... something feels somehow wrong about it to me ... but it may be that I'm too much of a Luddite ;)

Fantomex
09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
TDA, just saw this, and to throw my own recommendation into the ring, Google Hangouts are your friend..

Tuesday nights are my RPG nights, we're currently doing Pathfinder and Dark Heresy, we've used Google Hangouts for about 7-8 months give or take, it's the perfect system, built-in chat, and add-ons like Tabletop Forge and Roll20's own make it a hell of a lot smoother too.

We tend to use a separate window with rolz.org for dice, but the whole package as it is works like a charm. Way, way better than Skype, we've found!

L192837465
09-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Paranoia is my favourite RPG ever! Absolutely every adventure is incredibly fun, though usually has almost nothing to do with what the adventure is meant to be about :D

And what's TPK? I am not familiar with your TRIs :p

As for Skype roleplaying ... something feels somehow wrong about it to me ... but it may be that I'm too much of a Luddite ;)

TPK: Total Party Kill. The entire party kills themselves, each, six times before even getting to the briefing room. I almost peed my pants the last time it happened

Chris*ta
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
TPK: Total Party Kill. The entire party kills themselves, each, six times before even getting to the briefing room. I almost peed my pants the last time it happened

I only ever played it at conventions -- if the GM doesn't have house-rules about extra clones beyond 6, no game would ever last 3 hours. I still have no idea how it's meant to work as a campaign :confused:

L192837465
09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I only ever played it at conventions -- if the GM doesn't have house-rules about extra clones beyond 6, no game would ever last 3 hours. I still have no idea how it's meant to work as a campaign :confused:

Using the "straight" rules recommendation in the book makes it a bit more satirical without being cartoonish, but simultaneously way more boring.
ZAP is the way to play though. And hand out perversity points like they're free. You REALLY see player interaction.

Yeah. Paranoia is amazing.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Fantomex, that sounds interesting, any room for a guy one night during DH? Just to see how it's done??

Chris*ta
09-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Using the "straight" rules recommendation in the book makes it a bit more satirical without being cartoonish, but simultaneously way more boring.
ZAP is the way to play though. And hand out perversity points like they're free. You REALLY see player interaction.

Huh. I'm pretty sure that a) you're playing 2nd edition and b) 2nd edition is way more different than I thought.

I recall the rules working as follows:
1. Tell the GM what you want to do
2. Roll a d20
3. The GM tells you you've failed

L192837465
09-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Huh. I'm pretty sure that a) you're playing 2nd edition and b) 2nd edition is way more different than I thought.

I recall the rules working as follows:
1. Tell the GM what you want to do
2. Roll a d20
3. The GM tells you you've failed

That's the basis of it still (technically fifth edition?). Streamlined though, and a bit more intuitive for on the spot decisions for the DM. And a good Paranoia DM should always allow the Troubleshooters to also succeed an action so magnificently they could have only done it by means of treason...

Player: I shoot that guy 100 yards away!
DM: Roll it
Player: *Rolls a 1* I succeed a lot
DM: The guys head explodes, the bolt ricocheting off his vaporizing skull to detonate the grenades on his belt. The blast ruptures the oxygen lines on the wall and a fireball is hurled through the piping and hallway at a few hundred miles per hour. The doors on either side of the hall automatically shut, trapping the fire. It is now several hundred degrees and heating, plus your oxygen levels are all dropping. Violence checks to make any action, and you're all maimed. Also, your clothes burst into flames.

I love Paranoia.

Chris*ta
09-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I believe the GM must allow the players to succeed at any action in such an extreme way that they end up killing themselves. Regardless of rolls ;)

Also, your description left out a comment about how they'll get in trouble for damaging the experimental equipment they're field-testing by exposing it to fire ;)

L192837465
09-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I believe the GM must allow the players to succeed at any action in such an extreme way that they end up killing themselves. Regardless of rolls ;)

Also, your description left out a comment about how they'll get in trouble for damaging the experimental equipment they're field-testing by exposing it to fire ;)

I won't have to. Their clones are going to have to find a way to get into a hermetically sealed corridor that's several hundred degrees to retrieve those items. I'd say job well done by the GM, that's at LEAST 36 clones of hilarity's worth of action. Especially when their secret societies are telling them to destroy a bot that's inside the fire while all the camera equipment is still operating.

Yeah. Paranoia is the greatest.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-26-2012, 03:56 PM
STOP GOING ON ABOUT FREAKIN' PARANOIA?!?!
Gah!?!

L192837465
09-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Gah!?!

You're just bitter because you want to play it now.

It's ok. I forgive you.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Maybe I do...

YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 08:54 AM
@TDA, indeed, I dare say it's a few weeks til we next get in on it again, got a long WHW weekend next week and I'm frantically trying to build a whole army (literally, most of 2000pts of Iron Hands, unassembled and unsprayed)

If you're up for seeing how it normally gets done, I can always get on in the evening any day of the week?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
It's okay, I'll wait until you're in session. :p
No need to make special exceptions for me.

Also, 2k of Iron Hands to build? Sounds impressive.

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Hah, it's really no problem, if you want an example I'm on here every night, easily able to drop into 20 mins of a hangout to show you the bits we use for it..
As for the Iron Hands, it's not impressive, it's near-enough suicidal!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Hahahaha!!! Metal or Finecast or other?

Cool, maybe tomorrow evening then? I'm a tad busy tonight.

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Heck, tomorrow will be fine man, I'm out in the day but I should be about after 6pmish..

Metal, finecast, plastic and forgeworld resin, currently trying to stick a Caestus Assault Ram together with my own tears of frustration..

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Sounds rough man, you know there are people who can help you right? :p

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Hah! Oh yeah, but I have only myself to blame for being slow, I reckon I can get it built and undercoated by next Saturday.. Probably. Maybe. Oh boy..

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 01:21 PM
I would help.... IF YOU DIDN'T LIVE IN LONDON.

Bloody southerners. :p

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Hahahahaha! Jealous.. :D
Pah, I'm good with it, worst comes to the worst I'll proxy with easily available items..

"Each one of these cocktail olives is a terminator with lightning claws"..

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
O_O

That would be hilarious!

"This shot glass? It's really a Warhound Titan, legit, true story"

Fantomex
09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
"This DVD case? Fellblade, naturally"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Hahahaha!

Chris*ta
09-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Gah!?!

Okay, my second favourite RPG is Pendragon.

It's the only game I've seen where the rules actually encourage you to play in character.

And no, not by the "bonus XP if you roleplay well" that doesn't count.

Are you happy now, TDA?

UrielVentris
05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
There anyone interested in starting up a Rogue Trader campaign? Been trying to get my local group to run it for ages and no one wants to bite so... Anyone interested? =)