PDA

View Full Version : My 2k SW No Mech lists needs tweaking!

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
awhile ago i posted a similiar list and it has done really well in games. however i was using some poorly converted thunderwolves when i played and now i bought the new thunder wolves and before i commit to glueing them i wanted to get you guys thoughts/opinions on the list and any changes i might need

HQ
Canis and 2 wolves(205)

Wolf lord w/ frostblade, storm shield, TWM, 2 wolves and melta bomb (225)

Troops

13 fenris wolves with cyberwolf (120)

10 hunters w/ melta, flamer, standard, MOW, PF (205)
10 hunters w/ melta, flamer, standard, MOW, PF (205)

Fast

5 thunder wolves w/ 5 storm shilds and 5 melta bombs(425)

5 thunderwolves all with melta bombs(350)
1)plasma pistol 2)regular 3)frostblade 4) storm shield 5)MOW

HEAVY

6 Longfangs 3 MLs 2 HBs(130)

6 Longfangs 3 MLs 2 HBs(130)

so the plan is that canis and the wolves shoot ahead and provide cover for the thunder wolf squads. longs fangs provide fire support obviosly and the hunters hang back to claim objectives and pick off smaller squads. So what do you guys think? i know canis dies easy but that is pretty much the reason he is out there. how would you equip the thunder wolves. i just aching to finish these guys so please go at it.

thanks

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-07-2012, 09:44 AM
ok i just finished glueing the wolves together and they are on the bases, need some help before i start on the riders. where are my fellow wolf brothers?!

Chexmix282
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Giving them all Storm Shields and Meltabombs is a pretty bad idea. Way too much of a points sink for a unit that has no armor-ignoring attacks (except rending, ofc).

This is how I run my Thunderwolves (I have 6) in my all-foot 2k tournament list:

2 x 3 Thunderwolves (2 x 200) 400 pts
-1 has Wolf Claw/Storm Shield, 1 has Bolter, 1 has BP/CCW

The Wolf Claw is a great weapon as the re-rolls make it very reliable. You want two units of Thunderwolves where possible so your opponent cannot focus his fire on a single unit. A single Storm Shield is the most points efficient (imo), as this is the model that you want alive. Keep them in cover while they move up the field so every model can claim a 4+ cover save vs. shooting.

You can exchange the Bolter for Meltabombs if you like. I simply take the Bolter to save points.

Do NOT give your Thunderwolves Plasma Pistols! They should be running every turn to get into CC as soon as possible. Also "Gets Hot" is not good for a model that expensive ;)

With the models you have I would take 3 of these Thunderwolf units, Canis, and 1-2 Thunderwolf Lords. You can either put the characters in the Thunderwolf units or put them in Fenrisian Wolf units. I prefer Fenrisian Wolves, as you could then have 6 very scary and very fast CC units charging towards the enemy.

Hope this helps!

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
my inventory to work with
10 thunderwolf calv(11 actually as one is to be converted to a lord)
20 fenris wolves
1 cyber wolf
1 wolf lord on twm(fine cast)
canis
40 hunters
* i have the16 or so of the wolf rider goblin "wolves. this is what i used before the new models but i hate them
then the long fangs and almost everything else for space wolves

so i am thinking 3 squads of thunder calv, wolf lord on twm, and a battle leader on TWM with MOW( i have a few of the old wulfen models and think it would sweet on the back of a thunderwolf!) and then canis with wolves.
that doesnt leave me much room for hunters(ie scoring units) but ill figure it out

New list soon to come!!
keep those comments coming please!

Chexmix282
06-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Mark of the Wulfen is not a very good choice for characters, nor is it a good choice for standard Thunderwolves. Most of the time you will actually lose attacks that you would otherwise have, and rending is not nearly as good as ignoring armor saves.

I would do something like this:

HQ
Canis 185

Wolf Lord 200
-Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf

Troops
3 x 10 Grey Hunters 465
-2 Meltaguns

2 x 10 Fenrisian Wolves 160

Fast Attack
3 x 3 Thunderwolves 645
-1 has Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield, 1 has Meltabombs

Heavy Support
3 x 5 Long Fangs 345
-4 Missile Launchers

Canis and the Wolf Lord each join a unit of Fenrisian Wolves, giving you 5 hard-hitting CC units to throw at the enemy. I gave the Thunderwolves Thunder Hammers for some S10 goodness against vehicles, as you have no mobile melta weaponry and this will be very useful. The 12 Missile Launchers should help with tanks as well ;)

Obviously feel free to change the Thunderwolf weaponry, and if you do not face much armor in your area then Wolf Claws would be a fine substitute (using the points saved to buy Meltabombs for the Thunderwolves that do not have them).

Cheers :D

Wolf Brother Hellstrom
06-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Here are my adjustments

Canis w/ 2 wolves(205)

Wolf lord- FB, TWM, SS, 2 wolves(220)

10 Hunters- 1 Flamer, 1 Melta, PF, MOW, Standard(200)
2nd squad of the same

3 Thunder Calv 1) PF, SS 2)meltabomb 3)Reg (210)
2nd squad of the same (210)
3rd squad of the same (210)

6 long fangs 3 ML's 2 HB's (130)

that leaves me with 200 points so i decided to depending who my opponent is that i with go with two options

Option A

Wolf Lord- MOW, TWM, SS, Beast Slayer Saga(friendly games,fluffy)

Option B

another squad of Hunters(more competitive)

gotta work with what i have with the long fangs, also i wanted to beef up my squads and leaders a little and i just think a wulfen on the back of a thunderwolf will be a real fun conversion( i know i can lose attacks but its still cool and with the beatslayer saga can make for interesting games)