PDA

View Full Version : US Infantry

mccragge
06-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Here are two of the US infantry squads that came with DUST: Tactics.

Now these two are just base coated with a bit of a dark wash over them to kinda bring out the details. The top squad is the Blue Squad and the bottom is Red squad. I painted their ranks on their shoulder armor and put bits of detail here and there.

When I do the commanders, heroes and vehicles I will give them a proper painting with highlights and blends and all the tricks. But still these guys look pretty good on the game table.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/mccragge/dust_US_infantry.jpg

McCragge

RealGenius
06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Looking good-- I particularly like the contrasty base.

The shoulder colors is a good idea; I was just going to paint the base rivets in red, blue, etc to designate squads, but I like that the shoulders give the model a little more detail.

I'm torn when I paint a Dust mini. I like to paint, so I have to stop myself from scraping off all the mold lines, shipping the primer and re-doing the whole thing. Sometimes good enough is the best.

Now you've inspired me to go back to work on The Priest.

mccragge
06-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I know what you mean, I am really used to painting 40K or High Fantasy/Sci-fi so I am always doing bold - bright color schemes. But that doesn't work on DUST. I mean I suppose it could, but the US military didn't use a wide palette of colors for their uniforms during the 40's LOL. But I do remember seeing that they had icons on their helmets like Spades, Diamonds and stuff like that, so I thought I could do something similiar but with color to add a little more excitement to the models.

More to come, I am almost done with the "Hammers" :)

McCragge

RealGenius
06-10-2012, 04:01 PM
More to come, I am almost done with the "Hammers" :)

Cool, I've got those on my table to paint! Can't wait to see what you create.

BDub
06-15-2012, 12:32 PM
The shoulder markings are great. This IP needs more insignia. Nice work.

mccragge
06-15-2012, 07:22 PM
The shoulder markings are great. This IP needs more insignia. Nice work.

"IP" ??

I am not sure I know what that means :/

McCragge

RealGenius
06-18-2012, 05:59 AM
This Intellectual Property; the game universe. He's saying there's not a jillion shoulder pad logos and schemes like GW has for Space Marines.

But I guess BDub is forgetting about all the historical insignia that would apply. The problem is that a lot of them are quite small, and don't necessarily translate.