PDA

View Full Version : Returning player: 1K Elysians

JHK
06-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Hi all,
I am just returning to the game after not playing since 4th edition. I mostly play will be playing with my 11 year old son, though there is a pretty active community here that I could jump into as well.
I was inspired by the rush of flyers being released and decided to dust off my old Elysian D-99 force to see if they might find a new life as an Elysian Drop regiment. I have a 1K list that is almost finished, just one Vendetta shy of complete, but I wanted to put the list out and get a little feedback.

One thing to keep in mind, is that these are actual Elysian models, and while I intend to get some more if I like how the army feels in the new environment, its pretty hard to run out an buy more troops. My goal is to maintain a flavorful list that is fun to play and has a chance at a win. Some of the list choices below reflect from the old D-99 wargear, and I have left them as such, but this is a lot of where my questions are directed.

In any case, here is the list I have been working with:

HQ :
Lord Commissar (PFist)

Elites:
Drop Sentinel- Heavy Bolter

Troops:
Veteran Demo Squad (Sgt w/ PW, 3x Melta's)
Veteran Grenadiers (Sgt w/ PW, 3x Flamer's)
Veteran Grenadiers (Sgt w/ PW, 2x Plasma)

Fast Attack-
Valkyrie Vendetta
Valkyrie Vendetta

Heavy Support
Vulture (TwL Punisher)

Total is currently 980 points

Here are a few questions I had for anyone out there with experience.

-I really like the veteran squads as the basis for the list, even though I know they keep the model count a little low. Given that, are the doctrines worth taking? 4+ armor seems pretty useful, and I know that a well placed Demo charge can be a great thing, but for 90 points, I could also have another unit of veterans, or a unit of 5 storm troopers.

- This leads to the next question. What about storm troopers instead of the Sentinels? Is a min. unit of 5 storm troopers enough to survive long enough to make a difference?

- Vet Sergeants- currently they are modeled with power weapons, which is a hold-over from their life in the D-99, where they took advantage of I4 in close combat, and occasionally took out a power-armored foe. Are theses worth keeping in, or should I just refocus the squads on shooting and keeping out of combat at all costs.

- This is a more "Forgeworld" question: Has anyone had experience with the Tauros vehicles? They were released after I put my Elysians together, and they certainly look cool, but I would love to know how they played. I usually use my Sentinels as bait, so if the Tauros are a better option, I would be very interested to switch them in.

- Final question- Vulture load-out. I like the Punishers, since it is cheaper than a full set of MRP's and has just as much potential for anti-personnel fire. I also have the fall-back armaments, in addition to a Missile Launcher, which I used to mount with a set of MRP's to make a "all-rounder" support. Since the Vendetta's are good for vehicle take-downs, I definitely want the Vulture to fulfill a different role.

Thanks for any help with this- it is much appreciated...

thecactusman17
06-10-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm not terribly familiar with the Elysians list, but is there any better options for your Drop Sentinel? I understand that they get to Deep Strike, and if you could put a multimelta on it that would be a great way to tuck in behind a really lethal enemy tank or something. Also, it could be a great use for those last 20 points.

JHK
06-10-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm not terribly familiar with the Elysians list, but is there any better options for your Drop Sentinel? I understand that they get to Deep Strike, and if you could put a multimelta on it that would be a great way to tuck in behind a really lethal enemy tank or something. Also, it could be a great use for those last 20 points.

Good point- I had overlooked the potential to make it more than just "bait'. Thanks for that.