PDA

View Full Version : Ulrika (series) Thread

eldargal
06-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Bloodsworn

By Nathan Long

Spoiler free review:
Bloodswordn is the third book in the Ulrika the Vampire series that chronicles the events of Ulrika, former companion of Gotrek and Felix, after she is turned into a vampire. Both the previous books have been very good and in my opinion Bloodsworn is the best of them. The pacing is excellent, Ulrika continues to develop nicely, and there are some genuine twists and tragic thingamies throughout. Notable cameos by Ludwig Schwarzhelm and Karl Franz are pretty damned epic. This seems to be perhaps the end of a 'Nuln' story arc as most if not all the loose ends from the first book (Bloodborn) are resolved.

In my opinion not just a great Warhammer novel but a great novel.

5 Bloody Puncture Marks out of 5.

Random Spoiler review:

Turn away now already.

Ok, don't say I didn't warn you.

Highlight:
Ulrika is great as always. Rushes back to Praag to defend her mistress form the Sylvanian plot uncovered in the previous book (Bloodforged) only to go off in a huff within hours when they decide to lock her away as penance for running off. So naturally she runs off again, with tragic consequences. Ulrika gets some real badass moments though, like blowing the head off a centuries old Vampire with a pistol she stole from some witch hunters she slaughtered (with silver shot) and riding a zombie griffon through a fusillage of gun & cannon fire to crash on aship in the middle of a melee between the Reiksguard and Sylvanian forces. Her vow to be a 'good' vampire preying only on the wicked goes awry after another bunch of witch hunters get their hands on her friend Famke.

Poor Famke totally doesn't deserve what happens to her, but hopefully it sets up the plot for a future book if Ulrika goes off in search of a cure.:(

Some good insights into the Lahmians in this book, their sheer variety and the fact that there are miliant Lahmians just like there are scheming ones. Likewise the Sylvanians/von Carsteins are showns as being more thab just bloodthirsty warriors.

Karl Franz, Ludwig Schwarzhelm and the Reiksguard make some pretty epic appearances towards the end of the book. The Reiksguard are really shown to be a superior brand of cavalry.

Nathan Long does a great job at depicting the mix of religious zealotry and human nobility that makes up the Empire and through the depictions of unremitting persecution does actually make the vampires, even the Sylvanians, into almost sympathetic characters.

The teacherous ***** Otillia and the horrible Witch Hunter Meinhart Schenk all get their comeuppance.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Oooooh! Sounds like a good book, I must confess that I haven't read any of the Ulrika books, though I'm familiar with the character from G+F. I'll give these a read!

eldargal
06-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I strongly recommend the series, easily my favourite WFB books from Black Library to date, very Warhammer in feel, very well written and just genrally emjoyable in my opinion.:)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Brunner still gets my vote!

Brakkart
06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Brunner is very good, really gritty stories though I wish the plot threads left dangling would be resolved someday. I've read the first 2 Ulrika novels, so looking forward to reading this one when I can afford a copy.

Skeith154
06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
i Suppose they still sell all 3 books at the local stores eh? i hope atleast, don't care muh for ordering online if i can avoid it. i'm not fond of todays vampires but it sounds like Ulrika is pretty awesome. although it's basically impossible to be "good" vampire in warhammer land no?

eldargal
06-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Actually whether or not it is possible to be a 'good' vampire is one of the themed of the book, you'll have to read it to see.:p Most GW stores should have the three books or at least be able to order them for you in-store.

wittdooley
06-11-2012, 11:43 PM
You planning on reading Valkia? Love to know what you thought of it.

eldargal
06-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Yup, going to advance order it within the week, unless I forget or get distracted.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 01:27 AM
I'll buy it when it gets released, Valkia is one of my favourite characters.
By the way, Luthor Huss is brilliant. :D

alshrive
06-12-2012, 06:12 AM
i agree with Eldargal, the Ulrika series are possibly the best series of novels to come out of BL and epitomise what fantasy is all about! (i will, however, always have a soft spot for Thanquol novels!)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-12-2012, 06:13 AM
Oh Thanquol, what a guy. (rat-guy)

Wildeybeast
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Thanks for getting rid of the spoliers EG. Quick question, is it a good idea to read about her in G&F first and if so which books is she in?

eldargal
06-12-2012, 10:48 AM
I started reading her books before I started reading G&F, and now I'm reading G&F I've found Ulrika is significantly different enough after being turned that it wasn't a handicap. What you need to know about her past is filled in with her reflecting on it.

I forget which book she first appears in, Daemonslayer perhaps?

Wildeybeast
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I think I may have to pick up her books (when I finally get UTD on Time of Legends).

White Tiger88
12-18-2012, 02:45 AM
So i have been reading these books since the day they came out with no background of reading gortex & Felix....and i must say they are awesome! Its great to see a strong\feminine(and sexy) female lead who can own people yet show's her soft spot time to time.........Not to mention the books are amazingly well written what do you all think? My only issue is the fact she is a vampire that doesn't use magic....(yet at least):D Review of each book will fallow as i have time.

Mr Mystery
12-18-2012, 08:15 AM
I've read all three, and the first two are ace.

However, the third one? Well, it's just not as good. YMMV however, and it's still worth a read. But you can definitely tell the author was heading off for pastures new...

eldargal
12-18-2012, 08:56 AM
I liked the third one a lot, actually. It gave so much more depth to the Lahmians than anything else we've seen from GW/BL in the past. It wasn't perfect by any means and there were a few things that annoyed me but on the whole a good entry in the series. I do hope they make another book, if not with Nathan Long then with someone else.

Kirsten
12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
female vampire? how does she compare to Genevieve?

eldargal
12-19-2012, 05:56 PM
More 'shades of grey' (the good kind) than Genevieve. She kills people but tries to be a good Vampire like Genevieve but she sometimes fails spectacularly. There are actually a few sly references to Genevieve which are nice.

Kirsten
12-19-2012, 06:30 PM
More 'shades of grey'

vampire bondage? got to read them now :D

White Tiger88
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
More 'shades of grey' (the good kind) than Genevieve. She kills people but tries to be a good Vampire like Genevieve but she sometimes fails spectacularly. There are actually a few sly references to Genevieve which are nice.

Sometimes? She also is yet to learn how to use ANY Magic, her best friend went crazy ***** on her and she has saved humans when she can....However i think the hints about Genevieve will come to pass with them meeting and maybe Ulrika learning more about how to use her abilitys......which would be nice she has no magic or control over the undead i mean come on! She is Von Carstien i want to see some awesome magic\Combat ability's to beat down people.

vampire bondage? got to read them now :D

You suddenly seem more and more fun :3

Kirsten
12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I need to get some more fantasy novels, I have the gotrek and felix omnibus one and two, and the genevieve omnibus, but nothing else.

everything is better with handcuffs ;)

White Tiger88
12-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I need to get some more fantasy novels, I have the gotrek and felix omnibus one and two, and the genevieve omnibus, but nothing else.

everything is better with handcuffs ;)

O.O note to self.... Don't fall asleep around you.....or wait....should i.... ;)

Kirsten
12-20-2012, 04:51 PM
put them on someone else? no thanks :P

White Tiger88
12-20-2012, 05:04 PM
put them on someone else? no thanks :P

Liking where this is going........

Kirsten
12-20-2012, 05:20 PM
back on topic you :P

vampires!

White Tiger88
12-20-2012, 05:29 PM
back on topic you :P

vampires!

Are cool! But in the book there isn't any S & M.... Unless you count vampire sex........(Which is pretty much drinking each others blood....and Ulrika is funny during that part)

Kirsten
12-20-2012, 05:31 PM
oh really? unusual to see that in a GW book, sounds fun.

White Tiger88
12-20-2012, 05:39 PM
oh really? unusual to see that in a GW book, sounds fun.

Its a really good series, book 2 that happens in.....After that its more angry woman smashing people well to stupid to go learn magic............(Shes a damn vampire learn to abuse those powers woman!)

Kirsten
12-20-2012, 05:42 PM
yeah I will have to pick some up, always happy to read some more female lead characters.

White Tiger88
12-20-2012, 05:57 PM
yeah I will have to pick some up, always happy to read some more female lead characters. also your inbox is full :P

Fixed.

There is almost a full female cast in these books except for the odd crazy priest.........Ok make that lots of crazy priests & Vampire hunters who are to stupid to let Ulrika do there job well they sit back and chill (instead they seem to love getting killed)

eldargal
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Well she is a very young vampire, don't know when their magic abilities start to manifest.

White Tiger88
12-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Well she is a very young vampire, don't know when their magic abilities start to manifest.

Shape-shifting\Lower tier powers can generally be learned soon after turning at least it would seem so since the Young Von Carstiens seem to not have a problem in the other novels. Personally i think she just hasen't had the drive to take the time to LEARN any of the powers.......at least she figured out ghouls will ignore her time to time -_-