PDA

View Full Version : 2k Eldar advice...

Ghoulio
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I am going to be starting a new Eldar army soon and I am looking for some advice on how I could tighten the list up. So here is what I have so far.

HQ
Yriel
Autarch w/ Power Weapon, Mandi Blasters, Fusion Blaster, Shuriken Pistol

Elites
5 - Fire Dragons + Exarch w/ Fire Pike
5 - Fire Dragons + Exarch w/ Fire Pike

Troops
9 Dire Avengers + Exarch w/ 2xCatapults, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent w/ Twin Linked Bright Lances

4 Guardian Jet bikes w/ Shuriken Cannon

Heavy Support
Falcon Grav Tank w/ Star Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Halo Fields

Falcon Grav Tank w/ Star Cannon, Shuriken Cannon, Halo Fields

3 - War Walkers w/ 2x Scatter Lasers

The entire list comes to 1996pts. The Fire Dragons go in the two Falcons (of course) and the army is designed to be held in reserve (since most of it will be coming in on turn two and everything can outflank or move 24"). The Jet Bikes are there just to swoop in for late objective grabbing.

What changes could I make to improve it? Are the jet bikes worth it, or could they be exchanged for something more useful? I am still fairly new to 5th ed (was out of the hobby for 3 years or so) so any feedback would be a huge help :)

Ghoulio

mercer
09-25-2009, 05:05 AM
I don't see the point in taking Yriel and a Autarch really. I'm not a fan of Yriel tbh, especially when can kill or wound itself.

I don't think you need the Exarch with the Dragons. Just take another Dragon or five of them. You're in a transport, which is't open topped so the range on that fire pike isn't needed really.

I run same Dire Avenger units and Wave Serpents, shuriken cannons can be good if you've got the points - good for anti troop and give you another line of defence if the brightlances are taken out. I do use a power weapon myself, works ok and can be annoying expecting to flatten Avengers in combat and get invulnerable saves, can act as a road block, but Avengers aren't made for C.C.

You need more bikes. I use six and they work well, I have two shuriken cannons though.

I use Falcons for my Dragons also, I also take one FIre Prism. The Prism doesn't seem to do much through.

You said everything can outflank, unless I am missing something only infiltrators or scouts can outflank and none of those units have that rule, unless Yriel gives it to the army but I don't think he does.

Ghoulio
09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
First off, thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated :) I think a couple of the things in my list werent all that clear, so let me explain a couple of my choices.

1) Yriel - Yriel is a beast. Appart from Eldrad he is the single best HQ choice in the codex. A model that has a short ranged las cannon (when firing at vehicles), a power weapon that always wounds on a 2+ and being able to use a Str 6 Ap 3 Ordinance Blaste template in hand to hand combat at his Initiative of 7 is incredible. I think you are confused with his special rule "Doomed". He only has to roll once at the END of the game, and since he is only T3 chances are he is one of two things...dead or at full wounds so either way it wont matter :)

2)Fire Dragons - I can see your point in regards to the exacrh. You are right, its probably just a waste of points putting them in there and I can probably just spend the points on more Jetbikes

3) The Second Autarch - Since the FD are going to be in a Falcon and there are 6 of them so each Autarch (Yriel and the other fellow) are going to be with a unit of Dire Avengers. That way each Autarch gives me another "in a pinch" chance to blow up a tank.

4) Dire Avengers - The reason I wouldnt take the power weapon option is because in my mind if they get into Hand to Hand they are pretty much boned anyways, so 2 str 3 power weapon hits arent going to do much. I would rather have 5 more BS 5 shuriken catapult shots every other turn.

5)Outflanking - I meant that the entire army can move 24" OR outflank :) The only thing that can outflank is the only thing that can't move 24" and that is the War Walkers.

I have been playing Tyranids mostly and I can totally see your point about the fire prisims not doing that much. I spend most of the game watching my warp blasts and death spitter shots go flying all over the place (which is the reason why I went with 2 falcons instead of any fire prisims). I would love to put the Cannons on 3 wave serpents, but I just cant find the points anywhere to get them on there.

So, revised list:

HQ
Yriel
Autarch - Power Weapon, Fusion Blaster, Shuriken Pistol

Elites
2x6 Fire Dragons (they go in each of the Falcons)

Troops
3x9 Dire Avengers w/ Exarch - 2xShuriken Catapults, Blade Storm
3xWave Serpents w/ Twin Linked Bright lances

2x3 Guardian Jet Bikes w/ Shuriken Cannon each

Heavy Support
2xFalcons w/ Star Cannons, Shuriken Cannons
3xWar Walkers w/ 2xScatter Lasers

mercer
09-25-2009, 09:33 AM
1. Thats my point. For 155 points you get a power weapon, big blast template which you can only use ONCE per game, a short ranged lascannon and at the end of the game he could kill himself, giving another kill point away for nothing. I don't think Yriel is actually that good really. I think also you can take a singing spear with a normal Autarch, but I could be wrong on that one.

2. Definately is a waste of points. Exarch offers nothing to the unit.

3. Haven't you got Fire Dragons to blow up tanks? So your using a one model costing at least 80 points to pop armour, and the unit which is attached to the Autarch cannot pop armour, also remember, they cannot shoot the unit inside the tank so bladestorm is useless, but you cann assault them ;) . A Farseer would benefit you a lot more better.

4. No they're not combat masters as I said, but that 5+ invulnerable save acts as a road block against a unit which is full with power weapons i.e Terminators. Just great watching them march in and expect to flatten the unit but they get invulnerable saves! I think one unit with a power weapon is enough.

5. When you say outflank, you mean flank forward and not outflank as per game rules? Only units with infiltrate or scouts can actually outflank. Flank and outflank are different.

Fire Prism is just my bad luck. I'm sure it can be a good unit in its own right. I need to play test mine more tbh.

List looks better though btw ;)