PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves 1750 Competitive (using new codex)

Mortarion
09-25-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm doing this straight from memory, but I think all the points costs are correct :D

Ragnar Blackmane (goes with the WG for a Death Star unit of DOOM)

Wolf Guard
2x Wolf Claws, 2x CF/SS, 1x Heavy Flamer/Powerfist

Grey Hunters (x10)
2x Meltaguns, Rhino

Grey Hunters (x10)
2x Meltaguns, Rhino

Grey Hunters (x10
2x Meltaguns, Rhino

Bloodclaws (x9)
Rhino, WG w/ PF

Land Speeder
Multimelta

Land Speeder
Multimelta

Land Raider Crusader
Extra Armour

Predator
AC+HB

1750 on the dot.

C&C appreciated, have at it everyone! ;)

pdelair
09-25-2009, 01:47 AM
WG or no, your Grey Hunters and especially your Bloodclaws will appreciate some power weapon/fist love (in fact Blood Claws without a power weapon/fist are wholly not worth taking and I says this as someone who still plans on fielding them in most games).

Chumbalaya
09-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Njal doesn't really belong with a combat squad like that, he needs to stay back and provide storm/psychic cover.

TH/SS costs as much as CF/SS, guess which is better? Go go S+2d6! 2 of those powerfist equivalents should be enough, I'd rather have more bodies with power weapons or dirt cheap single wolf claws than a handful of powerfists. Mix it up, keep costs down.

GH look good, BCs look don't. Rushing HtH troops in Rhinos doesn't get them into assault with any degree of reliability. I'd take another unit of GH and stick Njal with them.

Another dakka Pred would be useful.

I don't see Njal fitting in too well with this army, you may be better off with a cheaper Wolf Lord/WGBL and Rune Priest.

Mortarion
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, I was thinking of replacing Njal with Ragnar instead, and using the points to buy a PF for a BC squad. The other one will be replaced with a GH squad. Advice about chainfists vs TH noted. I've edited the original list to accommodate the changes.

TheKingElessar
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm of the opinion Njal does need to be as central as possible to maximise his circle of death. That said, I concur that a CC unit is not his ideal environs. Perhaps a plasma-heavy unit? Plasma may oft be worthless now, but this may be an exception.

Kelmon
09-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Why Njal ?? I read only Ragnar in his list ...

I think its solid - standard Marine stuff, not the overpowered vanilla stuff ...

TheKingElessar
09-26-2009, 05:55 PM
He edited the list. Originally he had Njal.

mkerr
09-26-2009, 06:13 PM
@Mortarion: This looks a lot like the first SW list I built from the new codex. It was a lot of fun to play and Ragnar is a beast.

Here are my comments:

1. Every Grey Hunters squad needs a Power Weapon and Mark of the Wulfen (and as many Meltaguns as allowed). With counter-attack, these guys really pack a punch.

2. I don't think that Bloodclaws are the right match for Ragnar. You are better off with Grey Hunters. The +1WS is much better than the +1A on the charge (which you don't get because you get +D3A on the charge from Ragnar). They also have a Bolter (which is nice), the ability to get MotW (giving you D6+1+D3 Rending attacks on the charge) and a free special weapon at 10 models.For a Ragnar army they are FAR superior to Bloodclaws.

3. I've shifted to Power Weapons over Power Fists for my Grey Hunters. If I really feel that I need a Power Fist, then I'll go with a Wolf Guard -- but I haven't included a single powerfist in my last two army builds and I haven't missed it.

3. I'll never include any form of Bloodclaws without a Wolf Priest.

4. I'd probably go with either simple Power Fists or Combi-melta / Power Weapon on my Wolf Guard. I really like keeping these guys as cheap as possible.

5. The Crusader needs a Multimelta.

6. I'm really enjoying Typhoon missile launchers on my Land Speeders. So I'd consider scrapping the Predator and using the points to upgrade our Land Speeders and add some punch to your Grey Hunters.

Njal doesn't really belong with a combat squad like that, he needs to stay back and provide storm/psychic cover.

Njal needs to be right in the middle of the table. His Lord of the Tempest ability is just too good to be kept in the back of the table.

-- mkerr

DarkLink
09-26-2009, 07:51 PM
You don't need 3 power/chainfists in the wolfguard squad. 1-2 should work just fine. Unless you have a special requirement based on your local metagame, that is.

And are you buying Terminator armor for the Wolf Guard? Because you need to if you want to purchase a Heavy Flamer.

kamstew
09-29-2009, 06:02 PM
where are you guys viewing this codex?

Kanaellars
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
where are you guys viewing this codex?

Every games workshop got thier black box a couple weeks ago now.

Go in and ask your local guys!

If they dont let you see it, you dont shop there enough!

Confuddled
09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Mrrmph.

1) Not a fan of 10-man Grey Hunter squads in Rhinos.

a) No stand-off ability.
b) 10 Grey Hunters aren’t that much more effective in close combat compared to smaller squads, especially when they don’t have any power weapons/power fists.
c) Ld 8 means you’re failing morale/Ld tests almost 30% of the time – granted, not an issue when you’re in your transport, but you’re going to have to come out sooner or later.

For about the same point cost as those 10-man squads, I’d go with:

7 Grey Hunters, 1 melta, power weapon
Wolf Guard, combi-melta, power fist

1 less melta, 2 less wounds and 4 less S4 I4 attacks, BUT:

a) The combi-melta helps make up for the loss of a special weapon.
b) I lose 4 standard S4 attacks, but gain 2 basic S4 I4 power weapon attacks and 2 basic 8 power fist attacks (3 each if I charge or if I pass my Counterattack Ld test.)
c) Ld 9 means I’m 10% more likely to pass morale/Ld tests

The other alternatives would to be to go with:

a) 5 Grey Hunters, 1 Wolf Guard and a heavy bolter Razorback (cheaper, some long-ranged dakka to whittle him down before charging in to finish him off), OR

b) 6 cheap Grey Hunters with a flamer and/or power weapon and a lascannon Razorback to stay at home and second-line troops.

2) The Blood claws definitely seem redundant to me, especially since Grey Hunters are more reliable.

The kicker is that a mere 9 Bloodclaws aren’t going to generate enough hits to kill large numbers of enemy units, at which point WS3 is going to turn around and bite you in the bottom, since most (ie WS4) opponents will be hitting back on 3s.

Now, if you were to run a big pack in a Raider, then yeah, I could see them being a budget Death Star, but otherwise, I’d probably leave them at home (or on foot!)

Leaving everything else the same, I’d basically suggest trading in the 3 Grey Hunter packs and the Blood Claw pack for:

5 Grey Hunters, melta, power weapon
Wolf Guard, power fist, combi-melta
Razorback (heavy bolter)

5 Grey Hunters, melta, power weapon
Wolf Guard, power fist, combi-melta
Razorback (heavy bolter)

6 Grey Hunters, flamer, power weapon
Razorback (lascannon)

6 Grey Hunters, flamer, power weapon
Razorback (lascannon)

Fewer Grey Hunters, but a bucketload more mobile shooting, AND you free up another about 75 points for random stuff (typhoons for the ‘speeders, more upgrades for the Wolf Guard, maybe a multi-melta for the Crusader etc).