PDA

View Full Version : Why I won't be buying 6th edition 40K

phoenix01
06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
My local GW store manager asked me if I wanted to preorder 6th edition 40K today and I told him, "No, why should I?" This was seconds after he told me that they were closing my local GW store come August. Quite simply, there's no reason whatsoever to spend $74 to buy a book for a game I will no longer be able to play after August. The closest GW store after the Westminster, MD GW store is thirty miles away: too far to go for a pick up game. The nearest FLGS that isn't a GW store is a pit. So, I guess for now the hobby is over for me.

Just needed to vent.

wittdooley
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Believe it or not, you can actually play Warhammer at your own home. It's crazy!

Quick google search shows more than a few games stores around your area too.

Buck up there kiddo.

jonsgot
06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
I do feel for you. They are about to down size Castle Hill. It was one of the biggest Stores I've been to and I've been to a fair few. You may be able to find an independent supplyer near you, sometimes they are cheeper to. The Toy shop down the road from me sells 40k and still hasn't caught up with the price rise. If you can't find an independent there is still independent mail order and that should be cheaper to.

Failing all that you could always set up a game group and start a store your self.:D

I was speaking to a GW manager the other day and managed to worm out of him he hadn't been to a briefing on 40k 6th, he'd been at a how to recuit people into the hobby training day. And Actully said to me that's what is job was now, recuiting people into the hobby. In the same conversation he suggested I advanced ordered 40k, I think he meant to my house. I felt a little unloved! :(

Denzark
06-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Let us know (with a link) when your armies go cut price on ebay.

BBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Wolfshade
06-26-2012, 01:31 AM
This is quite true, I have not played a 40k game in a store since middle of 2nd ed and i think the same would be said for the rest of my gaming group, although one has just started to go to a games night held in a social club.
Or, you could use this as an opportunity to set up your own Wargames club in a local church hall/pub function room. I'm sure that there are memebers of the community on here who would happily give you some advice.

eldargal
06-26-2012, 04:01 AM
It amazes me so many people are utterly reliant on GW, not onl for stores to play in but how to play the game.
Start a games club. At tehveyr least organise with the regulars you see the most of to play at each others houses every so often, if you have enough to justify it tryand get use of a church or school hall and start a proper games club. Using a store closing down as an excuse to quite is really quite pathetic.

Wildeybeast
06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
It amazes me so many people are utterly reliant on GW, not onl for stores to play in but how to play the game.

But they're blue on the box, isn't that how I'm supposed to paint them?

Gotthammer
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I do feel for you. They are about to down size Castle Hill. It was one of the biggest Stores I've been to and I've been to a fair few.

To be fair Castle Towers gouges the everliving **** out of its tennants - worse than Parra Westfield - it's why Bakers Delight refuses to open up there amongst other things. I can't blame them for moving (and all the fights right outside the window on a Thursday night probably don't help either).

There are a couple of clubs nearby - they advertise in the store and at Games Day, check out wargamerAU for more specifics.

phoenix01
06-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Start a games club. At tehveyr least organise with the regulars you see the most of to play at each others houses every so often, if you have enough to justify it tryand get use of a church or school hall and start a proper games club. Using a store closing down as an excuse to quite is really quite pathetic.

I don't just invite people over to my house that I don't know extremely well. Only one of my close friends played, and he gave up on GW after the short shrift that was given to Sisters of Battle. I can't imagine many churches opening their doors to 40K games, especially after anyone finds out that Daemons are a playable army.

I got into this hobby shortly after the local GW store was opened. Really, I don't know any other environment for this hobby. Forgive me if I wax maudlin over it.

ksoh75
06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't just invite people over to my house that I don't know extremely well. Only one of my close friends played, and he gave up on GW after the short shrift that was given to Sisters of Battle. I can't imagine many churches opening their doors to 40K games, especially after anyone finds out that Daemons are a playable army.

I got into this hobby shortly after the local GW store was opened. Really, I don't know any other environment for this hobby. Forgive me if I wax maudlin over it.

Egh your entitled to your opinion. That's the beauty of a forum....jump up on a soap box and rant.....and everyone else listens and puts in how they feel.

I'm the same way, I'm not playing cuz of the retails. Now granted, I'm buying into Dropzone Commander, but unlike that game possibly, I won't have to buy a new army everytime a book comes out to stay up to date.....

(Shut it Witt)

Now, I may sell an army or 8 because I lose interest after getting it....but again....that's one of the main reason I'm quitting GW.....I just lost interest. Retail is just a cover up for me...:p

wittdooley
06-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Says the guy that bought way too much Dust Warfare when I told him to buy in slow and sold it to me less than two weeks later.

@Pheonix -- Dude, did you not make any friends while you were gaming at the GW? I mean, I've made a ton of friends through this hobby; sure, not all of them I'd want at my house, but there's at least 6 or 7 that are always welcome over.

Also (and it's only a google search), when I Googled your area, at least 3 other non-video game game stores popped up. Further, you've got baltimore within an hour of you, an area bubbling with the miniatures hobby.

But honestly, make some friends when you play then start to play at each other's joints. Playing 40k while having a cold beer or a stiff bourbon is much more fun than playin in any retail location.

ksoh75
06-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Says the guy that bought way too much Dust Warfare when I told him to buy in slow and sold it to me less than two weeks later.

@Pheonix -- Dude, did you not make any friends while you were gaming at the GW? I mean, I've made a ton of friends through this hobby; sure, not all of them I'd want at my house, but there's at least 6 or 7 that are always welcome over.

Also (and it's only a google search), when I Googled your area, at least 3 other non-video game game stores popped up. Further, you've got baltimore within an hour of you, an area bubbling with the miniatures hobby.

But honestly, make some friends when you play then start to play at each other's joints. Playing 40k while having a cold beer or a stiff bourbon is much more fun than playin in any retail location.

Dude!!! Cheap shot!!!! And I gave you a great deal on that too!! Besides....did I make the cut to come over???? I got beer!!! I have connections remember!?!?!?!?! LOL

DrLove42
06-28-2012, 05:34 AM
I ahve evry little i the way of gaming these day

Our GW is great, but tiny.
Theres only3 clusb I know of;
1) Is the other side of the water (least a 45 minute drive)
2) Is also a drive, and is on my bad night of the week
3) Next city over, again 30 minute drive

These 3 wouldn't be so bad....if I had access to a car

I play round my friends house occassionally, and against one or two people i know who moved on Vassal when my laptop works. Other than that and one or 2 comps a year I don't get much in terms of gaming in these days

But i'm still buying!

eldargal
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
No one is saying to invite strangers to your house, but if you play often, as Witt said, you should have made some friends. That is where you start.

My games club has met in a church hall for the past twenty years. Granted it is an Anglican church and thus not completely ******* crazy like the American evangelical churches tend to be.:rolleyes: