PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolf Unique Combo Clarification

Exitus Acta Probat
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
GW may have inadvertently corrected a muddy wording rule in the new SW codex.
There have been some online arguments about whether the separation of Psychic powers from Wargear meant there could be NO power repeated, or just specific combos...

generally the biggest impact here (if the opinion that NO power could be repeated were correct) would be, if you took Njal Stormcaller (since he has all the powers) you could then not take another runepriest (as even with only one power he would 'repeat' one).

The newest issue of WD has the SW player with Njal AND another rune-priest.
I would take this to be a tacit nod that Psychic powers are handles as combinations, like wargear, not just singly.

AirHorse
09-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Hmm im not convinced. I think that adding that to njal is more likely so that you use more hqs if you want to use runepriests. Seems like a waste of time having the rule in the first place if people can just spam the power they want anyway.

StarWarsDoug
09-25-2009, 10:51 AM
In the accompaning articles, it's mentioned that one could now take Njal and 3 other rune-priests. Given the 4 HQ option of SW.

Also, I thought there was a unique character exclusion to the duplication rule. ie. Njal would not count being a unique character.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Stick;
I believe the wording excludes Special Characters only with regards to sagas...I don't have the 'dex in front of me though.
Air;
I understand what you're saying, the wording is certainly poor and could lend itself to either interpretation, but the fact that GW did it themselves for an article is about as RAI as you can get.

Duke
09-25-2009, 12:07 PM
sin refrence to the OP: sadly, White Dwarf is no place to look for support in rules. They get it wrong so many times it isn't even funny. However, if the rules are super vauge then you could try to agree in friendly games that the WD ruling wins, but I wouldn't push this on your FLGS or anything.

Personally, I feel that the intent of that rule is to keep you from having 4 Wolf Lords with XYZ saga and wolf claws and a jetpack...etc. I don't think they inteded only only rune priest to be able to have Jaws of the World Wolf, for example.

Hope this helps some!

Duke

Jwolf
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Having played against 4 Rune Priests with JotWW and an assault CSM army, I have to say that JotWW is strong but not insane.

Frankly Mark of the Wulfen was a lot worse against me than the Rune Priests (with the exception of Njal's crazy powers).

Exitus Acta Probat
09-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Duke:
yeah, I caught it from my home forums for referencing it too.
I see it more as just a little bit of weight against the 'Njal means no other RPs' group.

I always saw WD screw ups more from the bad list/choice/scenario side of it.

I just let potential clarity get me all hot and bothered! ;)

JWolf:
yeah,
I've been putting wolfen with everybody for the last week. I love em.

Exitus Acta Probat
09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Mkerr's article...

"Q6: If I take Njal Stormcaller (who has all Space Wolves psychic powers), can I take a second Rune Priest?
A6: Yes. This is supported by Phil Kelly's (the author of the codex) Space Wolves army list in White Dwarf #357, which included Njal and a Rune Priest.

Q7: If I have more than one Rune Priest, can I have duplicate psychic powers as long as one psychic power is different?
A7: Yes, as long as the Rune Priests do not have the identical list of selected psychic powers. "

well he##........if I'd seen this I'd have never posted...

da#n you MK! :p

StrikerFox
09-25-2009, 10:19 PM
lol
although Mkerr posted that about the stacking of rune priests, i personally dont like the idea of taking 4 RP's. to me, it just doesnt make much sense to be led by four.. i mean, to me it makes more sense that you take a lord, his rune priest, his wolf priest, and whatever other HQ he may have in his little pack.
for Njal, i justify it as the second rune priest with him, may be a apprentice of sorts.. but i really dont see 4. the ruling (havent seen the new dex, just going off what others are saying) sounds to me that its trying to keep your army "unique" and strictly different, which, wolves have always been... the "odd bunch". in anycase, once i see the dex, ill interprete it however.. but in the meantime, 4 rune priests are just.... non fluffy.. *gets his brush out*

mkerr
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
sin refrence to the OP: sadly, White Dwarf is no place to look for support in rules. They get it wrong so many times it isn't even funny.

I completely agree, and had the army list been played by ayone but Phil Kelly (the author of the Space Wolves codex) I wouldn't have mentioned it.

although Mkerr posted that about the stacking of rune priests, i personally dont like the idea of taking 4 RP's.

Four Rune Priests is an interested army, but I think that more than two is overkill. I spent around 700pts on those 4 HQ. It was fun, but left my army too small to actually win games.

But I will say, that *I* had a great time -- I can't guarantee that Darkwynn, Jwolf and Josiah had the same experience, lol.

-- mkerr

DarkLink
09-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I completely agree, and had the army list been played by ayone but Phil Kelly (the author of the Space Wolves codex) I wouldn't have mentioned it.

-- mkerr

Excellent point. Kind of like the people who mistakenly argued that because there where 8 psychic powers that no identical ones could be taken... well, there are only 7 powers.

If the guy who wrote the codex played such a list, I'd take that as a pretty strong hint as to what the rule actually means.

Pi666
10-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I think it goes for combinations of equipment, like we do in some units for wound allocating, you cannot have 4 cloned characters but they can share equipment.

oni
10-06-2009, 07:44 AM
As much as I want the ruling to be - once a power is taken it's off the list for use by any other rune priest. I find myself being more convinced that it's the combination of powers.

My focus has moved from JotWW alone to the 4 HQ's rule. Having one or even two HQ's with JotWW isn't so bad, the power may be broken, but one or two units with the power is manageable. The ability to take four is where the concern comes in. In my opinion I believe this rule skus our judgment on the ambiguous wording for taking multiple JotWW. If the SW's weren't allowed to take 4 HQ's I don't think people would be yelling about it nearly as much.

Kanaellars
10-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I dont know about anywhere else, but in some local stores, I know the wording has been taken as it is written.

Two models cannot have the exact same combination of Powers AND wargear.

What this means is that, although it would be a bit of a cheats way out, you could take:

RP w/ JotWW and Lightning, Power Armor, Force Weapon, and Bolt Pistol
RP w/ JotWW and Lightning, Power Armor, Force Weapon, and Plasma Pistol
RP w/ JotWW and Lightning, Power Armor, Force Weapon, and Bolter
RP w/ JotWW and Lightning, Power Armor, Force Weapon, and Storm Bolter

None of these models have "the exact same combination of Powers AND wargear"

It has to do with the words EXACT and COMBINATION