PDA

View Full Version : Tau 2000 points

Fintan
09-25-2009, 10:57 AM
I've played Tau Empire for a while now, but I've never had a satisfying army list. After posting this list on a couple of other forums, and editing it according to the comments of more experienced players, I've decided to post it here on Librarium for comments/criticism. I'll be playing with it for the first time this weekend. Here goes nothing:

HQ - 356 Points
Shas'o Commander - Cyclic Ion Blaster, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, Hardwired Multitracker, Hardwired Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Stimulant Injector, Bonding Knife
2 x Shas'vre Bodyguards - Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Shield Generator, Hardwired Multitracker

ELITES - 389 Points
XV8 Team 1 - Deathrain
Shas'ui Team Leader - Twin-Linked Missile Pods, Targetting Array, Hardwired Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Bonding Knife
2 x Shas'ui - Twin-Linked Missile Pods, Targetting Array

XV8 Team 2 - Firestorm
Shas'ui Team Leader - Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Multitracker, Hardwired Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Bonding Knife
2 x Shas'ui - Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, Multitracker

TROOPS - 646 Points
Fire Warrior Squad 1
Shas'ui - Bonding Knife
11 x Shas'la
Devilfish - Disruption Pod

Fire Warrior Squad 2
Shas'ui - Bonding Knife
11 x Shas'la
Devilfish - Disruption Pod

Kroot Squad 1
Shaper
10 x Carnivores
2 x Hounds

Kroot Squad 2
Shaper
10 x Carnivores
2 x Hounds

FAST ATTACK - 120 Points
3 x Knarloc Riders (from Imperial Armor: The Taros Campaign)

HEAVY SUPPORT - 490 Points
XV88 Broadside Shas'ui TL - Advanced Stabilization System, Hardwired Drone Controller, 2 Shield Drones, Bonding Knife
XV88 Broadside Shas'ui - Advanced Stabilization System

Hammerhead - Railgun, SMS, MT, DP, TL

Mounted Greater Knarloc - Bolt thrower, explosive bolts (from Imperial Armor: The Taros Campaign)

TOTAL - 2001 Points

Let me know what you think!

RogueFox
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
First off, I find that Shas'O loadout to be very effective. I dont know that the Stimulant Injector is really necessary, but that's your call.

I find that Firestorm suits are generally worthless, due to the fact that the weapons systems on them aren't designed to kill the same type of target. You have plenty of S5 weaponry in the average Tau army. Replace those Firestorms with Fireknives or Helios suits. XV8s are designed to carry your heavy hitting weapons; use them. I'd drop the bodyguards and replace the firestorms with them. I also don't know that I'd give every XV8 team two shield drones. But that's more of a personal preference.

The other thing I noticed at this point level is the glaring lack of markerlights! You need a Pathfinder team at this point level! Maybe take a devilfish from one of your FW teams and use it as the required DF for the Pathfinders. You can give the 'fish right back to the FW unit at the start of your first turn.

Also, for your Kroot hounds to really be effective, you need at least 5 in a squad, preferably more.

Drop the SMS on the Hammerhead; it won't do you that much good. Trust me, with your HH, the independently firing burst cannons are much more valuable if something gets a little too close. If you want SMS, put them on your Devilfish. It really boosts their effectiveness.

I don't own any of the IA books so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the Knarlocs. I'd say another XV88 would round out your list well, but I dunno if that greater knarloc can kill vehicles really well or not. Either way, I'd still advocate a full Broadside team.