PDA

View Full Version : Doom Scythe or Stalker?

uglytater
06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I started to pick up 40k earlier this year and I chose Necrons for several reasons. The real reason though is I wanted an army that was easy to paint. I've put together lists that generally use warriors, immortals, scarabs, 5 lychguard, a few Wraiths I converted from Praetorian backpacks that I'm going to continue to use so that I can buy other fun things, an anhi barge and a ghost ark. So far I've spent a lot of time building, converting, and painting; and surprisingly I'm a better painter than I would have thought. I plan on buying the 6th ed book soon, and I'm wondering, does anyone have a strong feeling for Necrons what adds more to an army, a Doom Scythe or a Stalker? I know that this is just conjecture at this point as 6th ed is new, but if I get my bill over 100 dollars at the local store, then I get 20% off instead of 10%, and I'm using this as an excuse to get one of the new necron units.

Thanks!

Mr Mystery
06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I started to pick up 40k earlier this year and I chose Necrons for several reasons. The real reason though is I wanted an army that was easy to paint. I've put together lists that generally use warriors, immortals, scarabs, 5 lychguard, a few Wraiths I converted from Praetorian backpacks that I'm going to continue to use so that I can buy other fun things, an anhi barge and a ghost ark. So far I've spent a lot of time building, converting, and painting; and surprisingly I'm a better painter than I would have thought. I plan on buying the 6th ed book soon, and I'm wondering, does anyone have a strong feeling for Necrons what adds more to an army, a Doom Scythe or a Stalker? I know that this is just conjecture at this point as 6th ed is new, but if I get my bill over 100 dollars at the local store, then I get 20% off instead of 10%, and I'm using this as an excuse to get one of the new necron units.

Thanks!

Hey dude.

First up, consider what you want out of each. The Stalker is a straight up support unit. I've got two, one with Particle thingy, one with Melta Thingy. I intend to use them in larger games to maximise the potency of my units (particularly the Particle thingy, as a jammy scatter could light up multiple units....) and to potentially jump in the way of marauding light assault units. Given what Gauss now does to Tanks (horrible, horrible things) twinlinking stuff fired at a given target is not be passed up! Almost certainly a unit to double up on, if you don't intend on using the Elites slots for other units.

Doomscythe is a straight up threat to your enemy. It's there to smash up tanks, and threaten even the heaviest of units. There's also the potential to use it to herd the enemy, as the potential carnage it's main gun can unleash will force your opponent to manouevre according, restricting or controlling his movements. It will however probably draw a good bit more firepower. In 6th Ed this seems to be less of a problem, and arguably desirable. Oh, and never ever ever underestimate Tesla! I didn't rate it until I used it. It's 'orrible!

Now...practical tips. Doom and Nightscythe....the Death Ray and Portal have NO common or shared parts. Therefore if you tend to play in smaller games, this kit will offer more for your money.

isotope99
06-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Wait for the FAQ but I think the Doom scythe will be great. 36" zoom and 12" range should let the ray reach out and touch anything on the board with S10 AP1 and need 6's to be hit in return, plus a handy tesla destructor back-up weapon.

uglytater
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
In the past how quickly have FAQs been posted, does anyone recall?

Mr Mystery
06-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Wait for the FAQ but I think the Doom scythe will be great. 36" zoom and 12" range should let the ray reach out and touch anything on the board with S10 AP1 and need 6's to be hit in return, plus a handy tesla destructor back-up weapon.

True, but then there's a chance it will become isolated from the main body, and thus attract more firepower than it can cope with. Remember, it seems they'll have just two Hull Points, so it won't take much to drop it.

Having said that, they do work better than Stalkers in a more mechanised force, as the herding of the enemy really pays off in this respect, though it is a tactic easier said than done. If you aim to do a mainly infantry force, the slow moving but sturdy Stalker is probably a better option.

isotope99
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
True, but then there's a chance it will become isolated from the main body, and thus attract more firepower than it can cope with. Remember, it seems they'll have just two Hull Points, so it won't take much to drop it.

Having said that, they do work better than Stalkers in a more mechanised force, as the herding of the enemy really pays off in this respect, though it is a tactic easier said than done. If you aim to do a mainly infantry force, the slow moving but sturdy Stalker is probably a better option.

Agred, one will probably be manageable for the enemy, two will be hard to deal with and three will be completely evil given the area of damage they could clear out to reduce return fire (if you can get them on the board at the same time of course, which is less likely with the forced reserve rules).

Mr Mystery
06-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I'll probably just stick to my one, and then back it up with my two Nightscythes carrying my Lychguard. It's a nasty proposition, and allows me to set up my Anvil with the infantry, and then position the hammer more or less wherever I damned well please! This I can do with a paltry 1,675 point army, and still have a solid back bone of Immortals.

uglytater
06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Is there an excepted width of the line that you draw for the death ray? Do people use strings or tape measures generally?

Anggul
07-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Is there an excepted width of the line that you draw for the death ray? Do people use strings or tape measures generally?

The FAQ says 1mm thick.