PDA

View Full Version : High Elf army

Skeith154
06-30-2012, 04:30 AM
I have a small force of high elves from the starter set, so 10 seaguard, 10 swordmasters, 5 reavers, and a griffon and mage. asides from them i also have two high elf dragons, cause i personally have a major love of dragons and in my opinion the high elf ones are near the best. so i have two of them as well. both set up to be lords on dragons. can any one perhaps suggest some addition troops choices to make it a 2000point army? at the moment-dragons aside- i have about 1000 from the starter set.
i'm aiming to make it dragon themed likely from caledor, so dragon princes will be in there, of course i can't just have an army of 3 dragons and some dragon princes so i need to round it out some

Thornblood
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Ok, so bearing in mind that you can only spend 25% on Lords (incuding there dragon mounts) those two dragons are not coming to play unless you play some really big games. Unless you make one of them a dragon mage- a hero on a lesser dragon but well worth the points- and the potential togenerate extra magic dice. Dont forget the mage on foot- that dragon mage is gonna suck at dispelling.

So first up- your seaguard. You are already paying the points for the high elf fight in an extra rank rule, and for spears. So take at leats twenty- maybe more. A friend takes them as twenty in two ranks for lots of shooting and reforms them when the enemy gets near for more ran bonus (and the volley fire).

Whilst we are shooting- Ellyrian Reavers. Very good t running around enemy units, stopping marching and shooting at them the whle time. Then when they least expect it charge them- they are pretty good in combat. They become twice as good at shooting and alot better in combat with a unit of ten. Probably dont wanna go higher than that though.

Swordmasters- Are a waste of points with lots of ranks. Maybe add four to the unit (but still field the unit in just two ranks). If you are up against armies with alot of shooting or magic missiles maybe add some more just for casualties sake, but, yeah, another unit could be better than making this one bigger.

So basically we are talking another Island of blood just for the troops. Dont forget you can get seaguard with the paint set with high elf couours if thats helpful. Alternatively ebay has alot of island of blood models on there.

You might have the minimum of core units there, but spearmen are not bad at all, as long as they are in a unit of at least twenty again.

If your terrain collection includes alot of trees or your opponents do alot o shooting take a unit of White Lions.

Repeater Bolt throwers are almost a must. Good versatile warmachine.

Chariots are devastating on the charge, but underwhelming if charged or stuck in protracted combats. Great untis to support nother units charge with. Lion chariots are even more dangerous, but much slower- so more difficult to get them where you want them.