PDA

View Full Version : Building My First Army List - CSM

heysparky
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Howdy All! I have a mess of Chaos Space Marines. I like in-your-face harassment tactics or, alternatively, well balanced and flexible armies (NOTE: This is mostly from playing RTS games, not table top games).

I have lots of models that I collected back during 4th edition, but I let myself be paralyzed by making the 'wrong' decision about how to assemble my lists. I put off assembling or painting anything (and didn't want to field an unpainted army!). I got distracted. Fast forward over a decade and here we are. I don't want to let my stuff gather dust any more.

My goal is to build a few army lists, 500, 1250 and 2000 for newb games at my FLGS. My goal is also not to buy any new models if at all possible. Please take a gander at my list of models and make any suggestions that you care to make. I'm reading the 6th Ed rulebook right now and learning the rules for the first time, so I'm really rather clueless and would appreciate any guidance at all that you'd give a brand new player.

HQ:
1x Abaddon the Despoiler
1x Abaddon the Despoiler (incomplete)
1x Chaos Sorceror with Force Staff and Plasma Pistol
1x Chaos Sorceror with Force Sword
2x Chaos Space Marines Lord (working on Wings for one of them)
1x Chaos Space Marines Lord on Juggernaut
1x Kharn the Betrayer

ELITES:
2x Chaos Dreadnought
21x Chaos Space Marine Terminators

TROOPS:
46x Chaos Space Marines
40x Chaos Space Marines Berserkers
3x Chaos Rhinos

FAST ATTACK:
6x Chaos Space Marine Bikes
8x Chaos Raptors
1x Chaos Raptors Aspiring Champion

HEAVY:
Chaos Obliterators (3)
Chaos Predators (2)

DAEMONS:
1x Bloodthirster
4x Bloodletters

Col.Straken
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
If it had been 5th Edition I would have said take Kharn, but with 6th Edition Kharn became rubbish.

So I would say,

HQ

Abbadon at higher point levels (he is usually pretty good)

otherwise

Khorne Lord on a Juggernaught with Daemon weapon costs a measly 140pts and has between 9-18 power weapon attacks (or none if you roll a 1)

Sorcerers are always a bit expensive, but can have some decent powers, especially with the new Rulebook powers

Elites

I love Chaos Dreads (even though they go frenzy). In my Night Lords I have one with a Plasma Cannon, and people see it as a big threat, but if you go with twin CC arms, they are usefull most of the time, deadly 1 in 6 times and, have two twin linked bolters firing twice 1 in 6 times.

Terminators, I have had limited success with these guys, you can make a nasty unit for quite cheap (Twin Claws, Khorne, and Champions = 6 attacks each on the charge) but if you take them, I advise keep it cheap with an Reaper Autocannon, and a couple of Combi-weapons for 5 it is roughly 180pts

Troops

It used to be Zerkers all the way, but now they are a bit hit and miss, with no +1I on the charge, and no assaulting out of a stationary vehicle you will be better going with Standard Marines and giving them a mark.

Maybe units of 15 (good number for being hard to kill) with either Nurgle (+1T), or Tzeentch (mobile coversave) and give them either a Plasma gun and Heavy Weapon with Champion with basic power weapon, or two special weapons (melta/flamer/plasma) and a Champ with Power weapon. Any that you dont give Nurgle or Tzeentch give Undivided (re-roll Moral tests is very very useful, especially now you can alway rally)

Fast

Nurgle Bikers with plasma or Melta... enough said!

Though I like Raptors with twin Melta, they can get very expensive, my Khorne unit weighs in at 305pts!!!

Heavy

Oblits over Preds, especially now with Hull Points

Daemons

Unless you really want to bring these guys out, I would leave them at home (or start a Chaos Daemons army/allies list, but I am not familiar with their codex so cant comment)

So, for a few lists (I wont do 500pts as they used to work different)

1250pts

HQ

Khorne Lord (W/ Juggernaught + Daemon Weapon) 140pts

Elites

5 Termies (Reaper Autocannon, 2 Combi Melta) 180pts

Troops

15 Zerkers (Champ with Power Weapon) 315

10 Marines (Plasma gun, Missile Launcher, Nurgle) 200?

15 Marines (2x Melta, Nurgle) 260?

Heavy

Obliterator 75

Obliterator 75

1245pts (gives a spare 5pts for just incase I miss calculated)

and for 2000pts

you could Add Abbadon

an Extra unit of 15 Marines (giving 4 solid scoring units)

and the Nurgle Bikers.

Which should be about 750pts alltogether