PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Fire, Steel and Zeal

Sigismund Himself
09-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Codex: Fire, Steel and Zeal is an update for Codex: Black Templars. It attempts to bring the old 4th Edition 'dex into 5th Edition, in light of the new rules and the new Codex: Space Marines, as well as adding a little more flavour.

It can be viewed following this link. (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=165449) A word version can also be downloaded by clicking here. (http://workgroup.thearena.se/files/standard/2/PlaytestCodeiiWordformat/WordCodex_907963.doc)

I'll soon be having a look at the codex in light of the new Space Wolves codex, especially in terms of cost. Currently, the codex is designed as a homegrown attempt, meaning that its power is lower so that you are more likely to find opponents. I'll be looking at adjusting or producing a variant that mirrors what I want/expect GW to do with it. A number of units are looking at having their points lowered considerably and some units having their power raised.

Anyhow, opinions, ranting and praise is all welcome. If you can do any kind of playtesting, this would be greatly appreciated :)

DarkLink
09-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I like it. Units seem well priced, though I didn't examine everything thouroughly.
I like the Razorback varient, as well.

I will say that Righteous Zeal as it is now is a little too good. It could be kept in some form, though. I like the idea of Templar units that failed their leadership test (for morale or whatever) will fall back towards the nearest enemy unit and attempt to assault. They regroup when they make it to assault.
That way, you still have Righteous Zeal, and it is still a good rule, but not as powerful as the current version. That's just my opinion on the rule, though (and most of my gaming group thinks similarly about Righteous Zeal being a little too good).

Bluesfart
10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm extremely impressed with the effort that went into this. I've been working on an updated BT codex too just for the fun of it...

If I were going to make any suggestion though, it would be to change the "Accept any challenge" vow. I know you watered it down to only the first round of combat, but I believe this makes chaplains less useful. Giving the player a difficult choice in choosing between a chaplain or a marshal adds fun to list building IMO. I think it would be entirely possible to change that vow to something complimentary to litanies of hate instead.

Sigismund Himself
10-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Cheers for the feedback guys.

Darklink: I'm not sure if you're reading my version of Righteous Zeal correctly. The Black Templar player takes a Zeal test after taking one or more casualty. If he passes, he gets to 'zeal' forward. If he fails, nothing happens to the unit. If the unit takes 25% casualties and then the squad fails the Zeal test, then they fall back as normal. If they pass, the 'zeal' forward.

Bluesfart: I think I've currently balanced the choice between the Chaplain and Marshal well, even with the vow. If I'd got any serious playtesting, I guess I'd be able to tell a lot better :)

Sigismund Himself
02-22-2010, 04:30 AM
V1.5 is now available. Still only had limited playtesting and critiquing, so any more is greatly appreciated.

The updated (and currently only doc working) Word version can be downloaded here (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?automodule=downloads&req=download&code=confirm_download&id=430) from the B&C.

gcsmith
03-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Just printed a copy, I wanted to a home brew dex but this is awsome, might use it at a Gaming club that is starting or my local store, only ocassionally tho, nids are 1st for now, keep up the good work