PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Points Thousand Sons

Caldera02
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
So I have started putting together my Thousand Sons and I have been trying to settle on what list to field. I will be using the army as both pre-heresy SM's and CSM's. I would like to make sure it doesn't violate any fluff requirements and still be at least somewhat competitive. (i.e. not get stomped on)

So here's the CSM list if I could get some people's opinion on:

Ahriman

Chaos lord - Death Screamer, Melta bombs, Mark of Tzeentch
---Both joining my Chosen squad in rhino

8 thousand sons + 1 Sorceror
- Doombolt
- Rhino - Extra Armor

- Doombolt
- Rhino - Extra Armor

- Doombolt
- Rhino - Extra Armor

7 Chosen
- 5 Plasmaguns, Icon of Tzeentch
- Rhino - Daeominc Possession

Dreadnought - CCW, Multi-Melta, Extra Armor

Havocs - 4 Autocannons

Predator - Autocannon, Heavy Bolter, Daemonic Possession

1998 Points.

Thought and Opinions? Good or bad, never played Chaos before so i could have glaring holes in my plans! haha.
My first thoughts are that I probably will have trouble with armor?

Thanks
- Chris

DarkLink
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
You probably want more anti-tank, unless your local metagame doesn't require much. Doombolt is nice, but you probably want your TKsons shooting infantry, and str 8 ap1 doesn't scare land raiders of leman russes.

A lascannon or three would help if you can find somewhere to put them (maybe make the predator a laspred), and I'd switch out two of the plasma guns on the Chosen for meltaguns. You already have lots of autocannons in the havocs to take out light vehicles, and 3 plasma guns and 2 meltaguns will kill stuff almost as well as 5 plasma guns, but also give you a bit more anti tank.

Aside from that, it looks good. I will warn you that TKsons aren't that good against anything but marines (they pay ALOT of points for that AP 3), but this looks like a themed list anyways, so don't worry about it.

Caldera02
09-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I've modified the list from advice I've been given recently and input from here.

2000 Pts - Chaos Marines Roster - Chris Carlile - Thousand Sons

HQ: Ahriman (1#, 250 Pts)
1 Ahriman @ 250 Pts
Black Staff of Ahriman; Bolt Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Fearless; Bolt of Change; Doombolt; Gift of Chaos; Inferno Bolts; Personal Icon; Warptime; Wind of Chaos; Mark of Tzeentch

HQ: Chaos Sorceror (1#, 190 Pts)
1 Chaos Sorceror @ 190 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Force Weapon (x1); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs; Warptime; Wind of Chaos; Mark of Tzeentch

Elite: Chosen (9#, 287 Pts)
8 Chosen @ 287 Pts
Bolt Pistol (x8); Bolter (x4); Close Combat Weapon (x8); Meltagun; Meltagun (x3); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs (x2); Infiltrate; Icon of Tzeentch; Mark of Tzeentch
1 Aspiring Champion @ [53] Pts
Bolt Pistol (x1); Bolter (x1); Power Fist; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Infiltrate; Mark of Tzeentch

Elite: Dreadnought (1#, 120 Pts)
1 Dreadnought @ 120 Pts
Crazed; Dreadnought CCW; Heavy Flamer; Dreadnought CCW; Twin Linked Bolter; Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Troops: Thousand Sons (9#, 306 Pts)
7 Thousand Sons @ 306 Pts
Bolter; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful; Inferno Bolts; Mark of Tzeentch; Rhino
1 Aspiring Sorceror @ [95] Pts
Bolt Pistol; Force Weapon; Melta Bombs; Fearless; Inferno Bolts; Wind of Chaos; Mark of Tzeentch
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts
Twin Linked Bolter; Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Troops: Thousand Sons (9#, 306 Pts)
7 Thousand Sons @ 306 Pts
Bolter; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful; Inferno Bolts; Mark of Tzeentch; Rhino
1 Aspiring Sorceror @ [95] Pts
Bolt Pistol; Force Weapon; Melta Bombs; Fearless; Inferno Bolts; Wind of Chaos; Mark of Tzeentch
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (10#, 280 Pts)
8 Chaos Space Marines @ 280 Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Plasmagun (x1); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Icon of Tzeentch; Mark of Tzeentch; Rhino
1 Aspiring Champion @ [55] Pts
Bolt Pistol; Power Fist; Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Mark of Tzeentch
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 130 Pts)
1 Predator @ 130 Pts
Autocannon; Havoc Launcher; 2 x Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 130 Pts)
1 Predator @ 130 Pts
Autocannon; Havoc Launcher; 2 x Heavy Bolter Sponsons; Extra Armor; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Total Roster Cost: 1999

foostoofoo
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Daemonic possesion is a waste on rhinos. It will ignore crew stunned and shaken (cant member which is which). But to be fair extra armour is all you need, extra armour will make the result become a 1 if it is a 2 meaning the tank wont be able to shoot. Oh well its a rhino! That would free up 20 more points :)

Consider taking out the plasma guns in exchange for melta guns in your possessed, more powerful and wont harm your own men, not to mention you'll save another 25 points :)

Chaos dreads are pretty awful I would consider taking another pred and arming them both with lascannons, I think you could do this with the extra points you would spare from the notes I made above and also removing the dred.

Nowdays Havocs/devastators etc have been lowered in power due to dawn of war. Maybe consider a vindicator instead perhaps?

Last bit to say is that do you really need Ahriman? You already have 3 sorcerers in with the thousand sons and he is VERY expensive in points, maybe consider taking another lord like the one you've made already (personally I would take Daemon princes as nothing can really assault in your army effectivley(the chosen arent bad with the lords I suppose but the chosen themselves are'nt really designed for assault))

Thats the main things I can think of for improvements, good luck with the army :)