PDA

View Full Version : Tau Tidbits

Charistoph
07-10-2012, 01:35 AM
A while ago, I spent some time developing some... interesting ideas for Tau units. Here for your perusal:

Ronin..........15 Points per Model
Elite
Some Pathfinders never find their way completely out of the wilds, and enjoy the disruption approach that are often used by the Stealth suits and the Kroot. These Fire Warriors and encouraged to be left to their own devices, damaging the enemy's deep supply lines, trying to split up enemy forces.

<table border="1"><tr><td></td><td>WS</td><td>BS</td><td>S</td><td>T</td><td>W</td><td>I</td><td>A</td><td>LD</td><td>SV</td></tr><tr><td>Ronin Shas'ui</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td>8</td><td>4+</td></tr><tr><td>Ronin Shas'vre </td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>2</td><td>8</td><td>4+</td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td>Composition: 4-8 Ronin
Unit Type: Infantry
Wargear: Two Pulse Pistols Marker Light Designator Photon Grenades EMP Grendades</td>
<td>Special Rules: Stealth Aid Unseen Scout.
Transport: The squad may take a Pilotfish as a Dedicated Transport</td>
<td>Options: One Ronin Shas'ui may be upgraded to a Shas'vre Team Leader for: ...............................10 points The Ronin Shas'vre may take the following: Fusion Charge (Meltabomb)...............................5 points Infantry Wargear...............................See Codex Any Ronin may exchange their Pulse Pistols for the following: Pulse Carbine...............................free Up to 3 Ronin may exchange their Pulse Pistols for the following: Rail Rifle and Split Fire...............................10 points</td></tr></table>
Aid Unseen: While any Ronin unit is in Reserve, your opponent receives no bonuses or Special Rules to their Reserve Roll for all units without the Deep Strike rule. If there are no bonuses or Special Rules to your opponent&#39;s Reserve Roll, all of their Reserve rolls receive a -1 for all units that do not have the Deep Strike rule. While any enemy unit is in Reserve, a Ronin unit cannot be deployed and does not count for end of game scoring.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Pilotfish..........55 Points
Dedicated Transport for Pathfinders and Ronin
The Pathfinders and Ronin were finding that the Devilfish was often too slow and recognizable to be an effective scout transport. The Pilotfish was quickly designed and built to their specifications and enabled them to deploy quickly, efficiently, and quietly.

<table border="1"><tr><td></td><td>BS</TD><TD>F</TD><TD>S</TD><TD>R</TD></tr><tr><td>Pilotfish</td><td>3</td><td>11</td><td>10</td><td>10</td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td>Composition:
1 Pilotfish
Unit Type:
Vehicle (Fast, Skimmer, Open-Topped)Wargear:
2 Twin-Linked Pulse Rifles
Marker Light
Disruption Pod
Markerlight Remotes</td>
<td>Special Rules:
Deep Strike
Scouts
Rapid Deployment
Transport Capacity:
6 models</td>
<td>Options:
The Pilotfish may replace both Twin-Linked Pulse Rifles with ONE of the following:
2 Gun Drones............................................ ...free
2 Burst Cannons.....................................20 points
Smart Missile System...............................20 points
May replace the Disrutption Pod with the following:
Stealth Field Generator.............................20 points
May add the following:
Blacksun Filter......................................see Codex
Targetting Array....................................see Codex
Target Lock.........................................see Codex
Decoy Launchers...................................see Codex
Sensor Spines......................................see Codex
Flechette Discharger..............................see Codex
Up to 2 Seeker Missiles...........................see Codex</td></tr></table>
Markerlight Remotes: Every Marker Light-equipped model embarked on the Pilotfish adds one Marker Light to the total number of Marker Lights equipped on the Pilotfish. (For example, a squad of 6 Pathfinders, 2 with Rail Rifles, would add 4 Marker Lights to the Pilotfish for a total of 5.) In addition, all Marker Lights are allowed to fire at the full BS of the vehicle, in addition to any other weapons on the vehicle.

Rapid Deployment: Pilotfish are designed with the needs of Pathfinders in mind. Models having just disembarked from a Pilotfish do not count as moving for purposes of shooting Marker Lights.

Black Hydra
07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
This is pretty awesome. I hope you don't mind if I use inspiration from this to craft a Tau Renegades army list. Still not sure if it'll be a full blown fandex or just an army list. Also not sure how much wargear from the actual codex I will use in order not to infringe any IP rights. But it'll be fun. Thanks for posting it.

Charistoph
07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
No problem. I also have some new Drone (http://secondsphere.org/labs/index.php?topic=128547.0) Rules floating around the same place, I'm planning on digging them up and transferring them over when I have time (HAH!). I went through some back & forth on Tauonline.org and Second Sphere to build these out and refine them.

As for IP rights, from what I understand about American copyright law, etc (which is quite limited), so long as you don't produce it (i.e. try to make money off of it, take it to a printer), you should be fine.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Pretty good, like the use of Splitfire. Might be worth changing the Rail Rifle upgrade to depend upon how many models are in the unit, though.

Charistoph
07-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Pretty good, like the use of Splitfire. Might be worth changing the Rail Rifle upgrade to depend upon how many models are in the unit, though.

Well, they ARE Elite Pathfinders, so setting them up with similar equipment, rules, and options makes sense.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Hah, Ronin.

All that needs to be said is this:

http://1d4chan.org/images/4/42/Tau_Weeaboo.png

heretic marine
07-27-2012, 11:09 AM
those are pretty good, balanced and adds a something new to the army, thanks man

Charistoph
07-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Hah, Ronin.

All that needs to be said is this:

http://1d4chan.org/images/4/42/Tau_Weeaboo.png

I know the name isn't fantastic, but I figure that it was assigned by Imperium agents who saw to many ancient Kurosawa films.

those are pretty good, balanced and adds a something new to the army, thanks man

Thanks. They ran the gauntlet on Tau Online 2-3 years ago. They helped out a lot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now the next blast from the past (Points haven't been vetted yet):

Recon Drone Squadron......................................12 Points per Model
<table border="1"><tr><td></td><td>WS</td><td>BS</td><td>S</td><td>
T</td><td>W</td><td>I</td><td>A</td><td>LD</td><td>SV</td></tr><tr><td>Recon Drone</td><td>
2</td><td>
2</td><td>2</td><td>2 (3)</td><td>1</td><td>4</td><td>1</td><td>
7</td><td>5+</td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td>Unit Size: 5-10 Recon Drones
Unit Type: Jet Bike
Wargear: Twin-Linked Pulse Pistols
Special Rules: Deep Strike Scout Drone Support</td><td>Options: One Recon Drone may exchange their Twin-Linked Pulse Pistols for the following: Point Marker Beacon.................................10 Points One Recon Drone may exchange their Twin-Linked Pulse Pistols for the following: Stealth Field Generator..............................20 Points Any Recon Drone may exchange their Twin-Linked Pulse Pistols for the following: Marker Light...........................................15 Points</td></tr></table>

Gun Drone Squadron......................................10 Points per Model
<table border="1"><tr><td></td><td>WS</td><td>BS</td><td>S</td><td>T</td><td>W</td><td>I</td><td>A</td><td>LD</td><td>SV</td></tr><tr><td>Recon Drone</td><td>
2</td><td>
2</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>4</td><td>1</td><td>
7</td><td>4+</td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td>Unit Size: 4-8 Gun Drones
Unit Type: Infantry (Jet Pack)
Wargear: Twin-Linked Pulse Carbines
Special Rules: Drone Support</td><td>Options: Any Gun Drone may exchange their Twin-Linked Pulse Carbine for the following: Pulse Rifle...........................................5 Points</td></tr></table>

Support Drone Squadron......................................25 Points per Model
<table border="1"><tr><td></td><td>WS</td><td>BS</td><td>S</td><td>T</td><td>W</td><td>I</td><td>A</td><td>LD</td><td>SV</td></tr><tr><td>Recon Drone</td><td>
2</td><td>
2</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td>1</td><td>4</td><td>1</td><td>
7</td><td>4+</td></tr></table>
<table><tr><td>Unit Size: 3-6 SupportDrones
Unit Type: Infantry (Jet Pack)
Wargear: Marker Light
Special Rules: Drone Support</td><td>Options: Any Gun Drone may exchange their Twin-Linked Pulse Carbine for one of the following: Rail Rifle and Split Fire...........................................5 Points Twin-Linked Burst Cannons.....................................5 Points</td></tr></table>

Drone Support: Drone squads purchased for Fire Warrior or Pathfinder squads do not provide cover saves against the unit's fire they were purchased for, but provide for a a 5+ Cover Save for the unit they were purchased for. (i.e. A Drone Squadron is between their Fire Warriors and a squad of Guardsmen, the Fire Warriors would get a standard 5+ cover save against the Guardsmen shooting, but the Guardsmen would gain no cover save from the Fire Warriors' shooting).

Drone Support Squadrons do not use up any Force Organization Chart selections, may only be purchased with an accompanying Fire Warrior or Pathfinder squads, but are otherwise treated as the slot they were purchased for except they cannot Capture Objectives.

Point Marker Beacon: Any unit Deep Striking within 6" of this unit may subtract their BS from the Scatter dice.

Stealth Field Generator: Provides the unit with the Stealth and Shrouded rules.