PDA

View Full Version : Deny the Wych Cult List

eldargal
07-14-2012, 03:36 AM
Thinking about Wyches last night (something I do a lot of) I came up with a new focus for Wych cult lists in 6th edition. The ease with which haywire wielding hoes can glance vehicles to death means they are much less reliant on dark lances for tank killyness. This in turn frees up points for more wyches. So:

Cult of the Cranky Wych. 1000pts

Succubus Lh'ili
Agoniser, Haywire Grenades

'Lh'ili's Lacerai', 9 Hekatrix Bloodbrides
2 Hydra Gauntles, Shardnet & Impaler, Syren with power weapon, Haywire Grenades.
'The Succubusbus', Raider
Shock Prow, Torment Grenade Launchers, Flicker Field, Enhanced Aethersails

'Lh'ili's Wyches', 10 Wyches
2 Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix with power weapon, Haywire Grenades,
'The Wychwagon' Raider
Flicker field, Enhanced Aethersails

'Lh'ili's Byches' 10 Wyches
2 Hydra Gauntlets, Hekatrix with power weapon.
'The Bychbus', Raider
Flicker field.

'Supersonic Syren', Razorwing Jetfighter
Splinter Cannon, Flicker Field, Nightshield 4 Monoscythe missiles.

So basically the idea is the succubus and bloodbrides get the nastiest unit in combat and throw attacks at it 'til it dies (unlesss it has a 2+ save in which it gets ignored). The other wyches zoom around and try and kill as many vehicles as possible. One of the raiders with enhanced aethersails hides somewhere in cover to contest the home objective and ferry some wyches back there if there is time. The razorwing is primarily there to shoot up flyers with its lances and pop the odd missile/SC shot at ground targets that have it coming. Obviously if there aren't many vehicles the wyches just go kill things.

Some of the vehicle equipment options are optional and the wych weapons are interchangeable depending on the circumstances. I'm also tempted to swap the Bloodbrides for more regular wyches. It is only 1000pts because my group is having a 'Get used to 6th edition' 1000pt campaign soon.

Opinions? Any glaring weaknesses I'm missing? I should point out in my meta I'm not expecting to deal with a lot of terminators or anything too nasty at 1000pts. What do people think of the idea of swapping the usual dark lance spam for haywire spam?

daboarder
07-14-2012, 04:57 AM
I assume the power weapons will be either axes to give you bite against terminators or lances to help kill things before their I order?

I think your still going to run into trouble against "sponge" characters, 6th works around them. you've got a lot of anti-tank and a lot of anti-infantry but not much anti-heavy infantry.

What I mean is how do you get through characters like Typhus, draigo, chapter masters with storm shields, Hive Tyrants with 2+ saves and guard. All these units get to make their saves and then LOS rolls against the must commonly used means of killing them and their units, and in many cases they also get FNP now. Take for example a brother hood champion, he gets a 2+ re-roll able save that any of your wounds have to get through before the rest of the squad takes a hit.

I know it sounds horrible but your also relying heavily on DtW for your psychic defence and shile that better than what DE had in 6th there is a huge upsurge of the frequency and power of psychic powers in 6th enough that it means while DtW is good its also not always enough. With that in mind seriously consider a Farseer and some rangers.

eldargal
07-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Tend not to see SCs or really nasty characters at 1k here, but in general if I'm expecting trouble like that I would give the hekatrices power axes or just rely on the 4++ the wych squad has to tie them up for as long as possible. At 1k the more expensive characters, the fewer units to tie up my other wyches.

Not taking allies so really no choice. Will see how it goes, I'd like to think psyker-free armies would get a little buff to Deny the Witch or something to help compensate but that's probably expecting too much.:rolleyes: If we go to 1250 I will probably include a haemonculus with CoM just for lulz.

daboarder
07-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Tend not to see SCs or really nasty characters at 1k here, but in general if I'm expecting trouble like that I would give the hekatrices power axes or just rely on the 4++ the wych squad has to tie them up for as long as possible. At 1k the more expensive characters, the fewer units to tie up my other wyches.

Not taking allies so really no choice. Will see how it goes, I'd like to think psyker-free armies would get a little buff to Deny the Witch or something to help compensate but that's probably expecting too much.:rolleyes: If we go to 1250 I will probably include a haemonculus with CoM just for lulz.

You'll start to see a lot more of these, consider a BA squad with a sergeant with SS, he give the squad an pseudo 3++ save followed by a 5+ FNP

eldargal
07-14-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm not too worried about 3++ to be honest, a one in 3 chance of an unsaved wound isn't too bad, it is the 2+ that is a pain. Throw enough attacks at it (hence hydra gauntlets) and it dies.

daboarder
07-14-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm not too worried about 3++ to be honest, a one in 3 chance of an unsaved wound isn't too bad, it is the 2+ that is a pain. Throw enough attacks at it (hence hydra gauntlets) and it dies.

The problem is on a sergeant a SS allows him to tank those AP3-1 wounds that can really hurt the squad, even in combat provided he is in B2B at I order.

As to 2+ saves, yeah volume of fire will kill it eventually but do you have enough to get through the 2+/2+/5+ save that characters are going to get.

Take a brotherhood champion for example, if he is in B2B at the correct I any wound you do is going to have to get through a 2+ reroll able save to hurt the rest of the squad.

Autarch
07-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Looks like a really nice list. The Raiders/Razorwing has enough AT at 1000 pts (though maybe a Void Raven would be better?). I also like all the Hyrdra Gauntlets. They are really potent but cost effective, so at 1k I think your girls will be pretty overwhelming.

eldargal
07-14-2012, 07:27 AM
At 1k there won't be that many 2+ save characters, and if the worst happens I'll just have to try and wear it down with attrition or tarpit it and let the other wyches do their job.:) Remember this isn't a hardcore tournament, just a fun friendly game tournament,

I did wonder about a Void Raven but I'm not sure. For the same price as the razorwing with four S6 pie plates I get a Void Raven with FF, NS andone missile, perhaps a shatterfield. I guess it would glance AV12 flyers more easily and the void mine would be useful for dropping on particularly nasty units. Hmm, I'll have to think about it, maybe see how I go after a game or two.

Melon-neko
07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Wyches with haywire are amazing now, if only because dreadnaughts fear to fight them (dreadnaughts have long been my weakness in 5th edition >.<)

The only thing i would fear about playing the list is your only 2 troops are dedicated h2h which will make holding objectives more difficult...but I understand sticking to a theme =)

If you run disintegrators on your raiders that could give you some decent anti heavy infantry.

One thing i might consider is reducing the blood brides to normal wyches and getting all your hekatrixes phantasm grenade launchers. (i like them a lot)

I have not had any luck with flyers, hope yours does better than mine ^^

Autarch
07-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I did wonder about a Void Raven but I'm not sure. For the same price as the razorwing with four S6 pie plates I get a Void Raven with FF, NS andone missile, perhaps a shatterfield. I guess it would glance AV12 flyers more easily and the void mine would be useful for dropping on particularly nasty units. Hmm, I'll have to think about it, maybe see how I go after a game or two.

I think Wyches are fine against terminators. Its all about volume of quality attacks which the Wyches bring by the boatload. As for the Void Raven the only reason I suggest it is actually the Void Lances. The Void Lances alone make it worth IMO, but thats only a matter of preference.

I bet you'll do nicely with the tournament. Give us a Battle Report if you can or a basic run-down, I'd love to see how well you did. ;)

Infinite Freedom
07-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Overall a very good list. Definitely trade out the Razorwing for a Voidraven. Packs a bigger punch plus a bit more flexibility for armaments. That thing has always been a monster against my mech lists.

Few questions though:

1. How are you going to handle the cheaper SCs if they do hit the field. I know you don't often see them at the 1k level, but they are very possible. Chaplain Cassius in particular comes to mind. Not to mention the ways to give an HQ a 2+ for the cheap these days. Captains, Librarians and Chaplains can be given Terminator armor for a mere 25-30 points with the Cpt and Libbies taking Storm Shields for another 10-15.

2. How are you going to deal with Overwatch in the case of Infantry spam armies. Wych armor saves aren't gonna save you from Shootas or Shuriken Cats. Sure it's on a 6+ to hit but that can still potentially bring a squad down to under half strength. Wait, do Wyches have FnP?

eldargal
07-15-2012, 06:06 AM
1) Try and muddle through, either by tarpitting or hoping the hydra gauntlets generate enough attacks to deal with it.

2) That's one of the reasons why I had a razorwing with monoscythe missiles, two S6 large blasts does a lot of no good to ork mobs.:) I'm thinking perhaps keep the razorwing for Orks, their flyers are all AV10 so less need to the S9 void lance to get glances.

Serin
07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
The ease with which haywire wielding hoes can glance vehicles to death means they are much less reliant on dark lances for tank killyness. This in turn frees up points for more wyches.

Err what about more wyches? I saw more wyches and expected more wyches. Where are the wyches?!!

MOAR WYCHES!!!!

1000 points Cult of the MOAR WYCHES!

Succubus Lh'ili, Venom Blade

//Wych Squad 1
Hekatrix, Venom Blade, Haywire Grenades
7 Wyches, Haywire Grenades
+ Raider, Dark Lance/Disintegrator

//Wych Squad 2
+ Raider, Dark Lance/Disintegrator

//Wych Squad 3
+ Raider, Dark Lance

//Wych Squad 4
Hekatrix, Venom Blade
7 Wyches
+ Raider, Dark Lance

//Wych Squad 5
Hekatrix, Venom Blade
7 Wyches
+ Raider, Dark Lance

Ravager, Tri-Lance

998pts :D

40 Wyches should be a good start.

eldargal
07-16-2012, 01:50 AM
I've never found squads of less than 10 as effective (except nine combined with a character)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I hate this list and it sucks.

Joke, it actually sounds perfectly fine as it is. Wyches are mean because they just run up an annihilate anything in combat, also, Feel No Pain is now officially annoying! Especially if you're a jammy so-and-so.

Serin
07-16-2012, 03:46 AM
I've never found squads of less than 10 as effective (except nine combined with a character)

I always found wych squads of 9 or more too killy, unless you find yourself stuck dealing with terminators, in which case they just need to tarpit and nothing else.

Can't argue with 5 units of Wyches at 1000 points though. Thats a lot to deal with, ravager offers some AA with its new version of "Aerial Assault". So take that over the razorwing and save that flyers for high point games.

Next time I play 1000 points I'll probably test the list myself, I can see it doing rather well just from experience alone.

eldargal
07-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Aerial assault won't help against flyers, if hte flyer is zooming it's hard to hit rule overrides how many weapons a ravager can fire at full BS.:(

Serin
07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Aerial assault won't help against flyers, if hte flyer is zooming it's hard to hit rule overrides how many weapons a ravager can fire at full BS.:(

Other way around, Aerial Assault overrides Zooming so long as the Ravager has moved at cruising speed. The second part of the Aerial Assault rules strictly states that its BS is always at its full. Codex/errata trumps rulebook. Ravager is a AA beast.

eldargal
07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Ha, don't let Tynskel read that his head will explode.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-16-2012, 09:47 AM
SICK BURN! :D n

Serin
07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
At least you know how one of our most important special rules work now. :)

I don't see how the rule can be argued against. I tend to go through the motions of:
What does the rule book say?
Does the Codex say something to contradict?
Does the Errata say something to contractict?
Does the FAQ clarify any misinterpretations, or expand on any rule sets?
What is the outcome of the rules?

That way you can't go around in horrible rules circles as you get confused.

In this case, Ravagers that cruise, always use their full BS (althouh the rules on page nine of the rule book say you can choose to be BS1 still) , which gives them a pseudo AA against Zooming/Swooping.

Infinite Freedom
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
1) Try and muddle through, either by tarpitting or hoping the hydra gauntlets generate enough attacks to deal with it.

2) That's one of the reasons why I had a razorwing with monoscythe missiles, two S6 large blasts does a lot of no good to ork mobs.:) I'm thinking perhaps keep the razorwing for Orks, their flyers are all AV10 so less need to the S9 void lance to get glances.

I'll concede to ou on the first point. With enough attacks even Lysander with a Command Squad (yes I have seen it in 1k) will fall.

What about Guardsmen spam? Dire Avengers? HB Devastators?