PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Crons W/ Chaos Marine Allies

Jenn
07-14-2012, 06:01 AM
I've been playing as many games as possible since the release of 6th trying to get my army into fighting shape for tournament season here in the inland northwest. My next tournament is at the end of this month and is going to be 1850 points. Here is the list I have been playing with:

HQ:
Obyron
Destroyer lord w/ Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave.

Troops:
15 Warriors on foot (Obyron attaches to this unit)
2 units of 10 Warriors in Arks

Fast
5 wraiths all w/ whipcoils (Destroyer lord attaches to this unit)

Heavy
3 Annihilation Barges

Allied Detachment
Daemon Prince of Slaanesh, Wings, Lash of submission
5 Plague marines, 2 plasma guns, Sergeant w/ fist & Combi-plasma

It's a pretty straightforward list.

Early game I castle up on my 1-3 home objectives using my wraithstar to intercept enemy deathstars/ sneak up the enemy flank to disrupt/ draw off of objectives. All the while I pick away at their army with the annihilation barges, using the lash prince to disrupt formations either by pulling units forward into double tap range or pushing them back to delay them. The army is very good at achieving first blood if I get first turn, and quite resilient and able to deny first blood as long as I know I am going second. So far I am undefeated with this list as is. As it stands my WLD record with my Necrons is 8-1-1 as of 6th. All of my games are chronicled Here. (http://mindshackledmusings.blogspot.com/) Let me know what you think and where you see places I can improve the list here and there. Thanks for your input.

Dlatrex
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
This looks like a fun Army! Given that I only had a handful of games under my belt with necrons in 5th, and zero in 6th I don't know how meaningfully I can comment on the list.

Reading your rep with nids, do you think there is sufficient shooting to stop a nidzilla list, with the wraiths and Dlord catching any that make it through? It would be great if you could regularly put down a pair of flyrants.

Also, with the Prince, is the addition of the wings just to increase his mobility to reach out an lash someone, or is he intended to move forward as a pseudo wreckingball?

Keep up the killer record!

P.S. do you have any photos of your Crons?

Kyban
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
With the lash in there you should take a doom scythe or two, for the shenanigans.
Oh, look your unit is in a line, how convenient!

Filthspew
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
My main concern would be:

The 5 plague marines have 3 expensive models in it.

There is a big risk of loosing the upgraded models quickly and loosing a big investment.

Especially the fist, its effectively a 40pts upgrade alone and a 73pts dude.

With the risk of dying from his own gun.

The way I see it, characters are all or naught.

Either spend the pts elsewhere, or invest in characters that are experts in winning challenges.

Power fists are not with I1 on 1W models.

That unit is 195pts total, short range, high cost on low model count and immobile.

Jenn
07-20-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the Input guys, since posting this I have gotten a few more games in, all of which have been reported over on My Blog. (http://mindshackledmusings.blogspot.com/) I have also made some changes to the list from my previous iteration which I feel make it stronger over all. I essentially traded in the Lash prince for a lash sorceror, and dropped the champion essentially bumping up the plague marine unit size to 8 models. A full write up for the reasoning behind the changes and the basic game strategy can be found Here. (http://mindshackledmusings.blogspot.com/2012/07/list-update-necrons-with-chaos.html)

Filthspew: Your insights were dead on, thanks for the good advice!

Kyban: I hadn't thought of that, it seems like it would be a lot of fun, if not a total pain in the *** for my opponent. As it stands I'm trying to avoid flyers for the time being, mainly to punish opponents who have metagamed over to med str- high rof weaponry/ blew way too many point in anti-air weaponry. And partially because my roommate is building a flier spam list and so we're working on being two opposite sides of the Necron coin.

Dlatrex: I worry that against a true nidzilla list I will have a fair bit more trouble, but time will tell on that one.

As for the original reasoning for wings on the prince: my plan was originally for him to follow the Wraiths around and draw fire away from them while lashing enemies into them... However it turned out that people really really do not like lash and tended to take him out way early effectively killing his effectiveness. With this in mind I switched him over the a terminator sorceror and attached him to the plague marines which will go a long way towards punishing enemies for trying to take him out early, shooting away a plague marine squad still is a very difficult proposal, especially now so that lascannons/ melta guns dont deny them their fnp save anymore.

And finally, I dont have too many pictures of my cron army, I'm still in the process of building/ painting them, and working full time is limiting my hobby time, especially with as much as I have been playing. But here's a few (apologies for the bad picture quality). I know I'm not the best painter in the world, my primary focus is the gaming aspect, the only real reason I have anything painted is because most major tournaments in the area require fully painted armies or otherwise I would probably never get around to it.

This is the army at the beginning of 5th, before the long sleep, back when I was fully painted:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/29744_1414780020443_2381396_n.jpg

Here is the army as of last week before my most recent changes:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/532405_4274139462642_26399450_n.jpg

I'll have to work on getting closer pics later if desired, the ones I have now are stretching the screen and I don't have image editing software on the computer Im using now.

Dlatrex
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Wholly white necrons Batman! That is a novel scheme (for me). I especially appreciate you making the power-rods fit the color scheme. Are they painted, or custom pieces?

I appreciate what you are showing can be done with the A.barge. Right now I only have the one model as something I can swap between, and I've had too much fun abusing sweep attack recently. With your given effectiveness I may have to start using the barge more frequently!

Jenn
07-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Believe it or not, I'm not the only person in my area who happened to start a white Necron scheme on our own without even knowing the other had a white Necron army. As for my rods, I custom ordered them way back in the day off of ebay they are actually almost perfectly clear with a minor blue tinge (much to my dismay at the time) But I found a way of painting underneath them to get the blue I was looking for.

The annihilation barges are definitely worth a look, I'm surprised at how many people are overlooking them when it comes to anti-air options, they definitely get the job done, that's for sure. I've been meaning to get back to trying command barges again, I've just been having so much fun playing no court I haven't been able to convince myself to bring an overlord again.

Chumbalaya
07-23-2012, 08:04 AM
This list is garbage. Beyond the Wraithwing and A Barges you've got nothing even remotely useful.

Obyron doesn't unlock a court, doesn't have Zahndrekh to play off of and is so not worth it as combat character. Your basic Overlord with scythe, sempiternal weave and mindshackles is all you need for a killer HQ at a bargain bin price. Plus you get a court, which is 7 flavors of awesome.

Arks are decent for holding back objectives and blocking movement or obscuring LoS, but they are still ridiculously expensive and incredibly vulnerable to melta, which you'll see plenty of if you bring them outside of your deployment zone.

Warriors are good for numbers or massed gauss, but Immortals do the real damage at range. Tesla is going to stick wounds on most things easily and they can be optimized to whichever role you prefer. 15 Warriors, even with a combat character, are bait for all but the most inept assault units. I2 is not your friend. S5 AP4 or

Wraiths don't all need whip coils, keep your wound dumps cheap.

Chaos Marines serve no purpose. Lash is cute, but beyond that you have an extremely vulnerable T5 model and a handful of durable Troops without sufficient numbers. CSM are pretty crappy allies overall, just by virtue of their awful Codex, but if you're going to use them a Lesser Daemon bomb or a big unit of 10 Plague Marines to hold midfield isn't that bad, apart from the price. I'd take almost anything before CSM.

If it's a fluff thing or whatever, keep doing your thing, man. But, if you want a good list, you're going to need to scrap a lot of stuff.

I'd recommend a different ally, if you take one at all, some flyer support, and something beyond rapid firing gauss to help bring down army.