PDA

View Full Version : Another 1500 Points Army List - Death Company!

ElectricPaladin
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
So, I'm not sure how I feel about this list, but there are definitely things to like about it. I'm especially interested in comparing it to my current 1500 points list (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=23341).

Pros:
• More drop troops overall than my other list - Blood Angel style ftw!
• Death Company as a drop troop, probably makes them more effective than my mechanized Death Company, who never got out of their tank in my last game (I was relying on my opponents to blow it up so I didn't have to expose my DC to as much enemy fire... never happened).

Cons:
• No Sanguinary Guard - I love the models, love the fluff, find them effective, and see them as an iconic Blood Angels unit that I'm sad to lose.
• Only two vehicles - will my razorbacks die the death of insufficient target saturation?

Anyway, here it is:

HQ
• Reclusiarch w/Jump Pack, Hand Flamer
•*Librarian w/Jump Pack

Elites
• Sanguinary Priest w/Power Sword

Troops
•*10 Jump Pack Assault Marines w/2 Meltaguns, Powerfist Sergeant
• 5 Foot Assault Marines w/1 Flamer, Hand Flamer and Power Sword Sergeant, in a Laserback
• 5 Foot Assault Marines w/1 Flamer, Hand Flamer and Power Sword Sergeant, in a Laserback
• 10 Jump Pack Death Company w/2 Hand Flamers

Heavy Support
• 5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers, in a Drop Pod

The deployment works like this: Reclusiarch with the Death Company, probably in reserve (unless there's a particularly juice target and a particularly juicy staging ground). Librarian with the jump Assault squad, probably in reserve (same). Laserbacks in position to fire at enemy vehicles, with the troops inside either poised to jump out and claim objectives or deployed out of their vehicles to camp backfield objectives. Whichever of my Laserback squads looks like its going to be in the thick of things gets the priest so that his Bubble of FNP can provide support. The Devastators drop turn 1 in a good vantage point to missile launcher the crap out of everything - they are my versatile fire support.

I see a few potential permutations of this list.

Firstly, I could take away the Librarian's jump pack and put him with a laserback squad instead. This could help him last longer, but since he can't use psychic powers through the hull of the vehicle anymore, his utility in this sense is very limited.

Secondly, I could replace the Devastator Squad with something else - perhaps another vehicle, like a Baal Predator - but so far I've been happy with the fire support they provide. The new "flack" mode of their missile launchers is invaluable in a list that lacks other ways to deal with zooming flyers.

Anyway, I'm open to your feedback.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Ooooh! A nice variety here. I wouldn't solely depend on Death Company though, as I showed my opponent on Saturday they can be more of a hindrance.

I think that this could be a very competitive list, and think of all the Hammer of Wrath that you'll be doing. :D

EDIT: Also remember the rules about reserves.

alshrive
07-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Secondly, I could replace the Devastator Squad with something else - perhaps another vehicle, like a Baal Predator - but so far I've been happy with the fire support they provide. The new "flack" mode of their missile launchers is invaluable in a list that lacks other ways to deal with zooming flyers.

Anyway, I'm open to your feedback.

i think it has been univesal agreed that actually until it is stated that a model has the Flakk missiles you can't use them. they are in the rulebook for future additions, nobody currently has them! so unfortunately you can't use them in your devastators. Sorry if that poo-poo's your electric frankfurter.

Angelofblades
07-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Where does the Reclusiarch go? Because according to the FAQ, there isn't any IC that's joining the Death Co ever, until they fix the failure of a rule.

I would drop the Reclusiarch and add Lemartes in there, he's the only Chaplain that gets to be with the DC.

ElectricPaladin
07-18-2012, 08:53 AM
i think it has been univesal agreed that actually until it is stated that a model has the Flakk missiles you can't use them. they are in the rulebook for future additions, nobody currently has them! so unfortunately you can't use them in your devastators. Sorry if that poo-poo's your electric frankfurter.

That makes zero sense. They didn't change the devastators - they changed the profile of the weapon. That would imply that...

I'm not going to argue this here. I'll take it up when I actually play a game. Honestly, though, in my opinion, that makes about as much sense as trying to argue that your rhino doesn't have to use the hull points rules.

Where does the Reclusiarch go? Because according to the FAQ, there isn't any IC that's joining the Death Co ever, until they fix the failure of a rule.

I would drop the Reclusiarch and add Lemartes in there, he's the only Chaplain that gets to be with the DC.

This also looks like a technicality, but Lemartes is pretty cool so I won't argue here, either. I'll just make the list so it works.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
It's because none of the Missile Launchers are written as having them, in any codex, so they can't yet take them.
They're just example weapons, like the Vulcan Mega Bolter, or the Heavy Chainsword.

ElectricPaladin
07-18-2012, 09:08 AM
It's because none of the Missile Launchers are written as having them, in any codex, so they can't yet take them.
They're just example weapons, like the Vulcan Mega Bolter, or the Heavy Chainsword.

But there's no precedent for different missile launchers having different weapons. All Astartes Missile Launchers have the same options. If the "Missile Launcher" option in the new rulebook is an example weapon, then the Missile Launcher no longer exists at all, and what are my Devastators armed with?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Blast Rifles?

You use the weapon's profile as represented in it's Codex, as opposed to the generic one in the rulebook.
Guard, and Eldar players could argue that they have Flakk Missiles too, seeing as they also have Missile Launchers.

ElectricPaladin
07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Blast Rifles?

You use the weapon's profile as represented in it's Codex, as opposed to the generic one in the rulebook.

Guard, and Eldar players could argue that they have Flakk Missiles too, seeing as they also have Missile Launchers.

Eldar explicitly use Eldar Missile Launchers, which have a separate entry. I don't have the IG Codex, so I don't know what they should have, and don't much care.

Ok, missile launchers aside (because I'm going to be jerk and try to get my way whenever I play because - no personal offense intended - I think the no-flakk version is insane, and the Internet is not the be-all end-all of rules interpretation), here's the list:

HQ
• Librarian w/Jump Pack

Elites
• Sanguinary Priest

Troops
• 5 Assault Marines (Foot), 1 Flamer, Hand Flamer Sergeant, in a Laserback
• 5 Assault Marines (Foot), 1 Flamer, Hand Flamer Sergeant, in a Laserback
• 10 Assault Marines (Jump), 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist Sergeant
• 10 Death Company (Jump), 2 Hand Flamers, 1 Power Fist, + Lemartes

Heavy Support
• 5 Devastators, 4 Missile Launchers, in a Drop Pod w/Locator Beacon

When Chaplains are again permitted to join Death Company units (I'm sure it's coming), I can trade Lemartes in for a Jump Pack Reclusiarch. That will put me at five points over, so I'll trade out the Devastators' locator beacon, which will put me at 5 points under. I'll probably give someone meltabombs, or something, so the points don't go to waste.

Deployment is as before: jump Assault Squad and Librarian probably deep strike, as do the Death Company and Lemartes. Devastators drop wherever gives them a good vantage point to shoot things. The laserback Assault Squads either deploy in their transports in order to assault midfield/enemy objectives, or in cover to hold backfield objectives. Either way, the laserbacks are in charge of blowing up vehicles at range and doubling out hard-to-kill critters. The Sanguinary Priest hangs out with one of the Assault Squads to provide a boosted 6'' FNP bubble.

On reflection, I have one concerns: the Sanguinary Priest.

That's 50 points. I could easily cut off the Locator Beacon and free up 60 points. Do you think there's something I could do with those points that would be more effective? Feel No Pain is less effective than it used to be. One of my primary assault units (Death Company) gets FNP for free, and the squad my priest is likely to hang out with most closely (Laserback Assault Squad) isn't likely to need FNP.

Any suggestions to this point, or any other?

ElectricPaladin
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
I have another concern I forgot to mention: armor.

I think that two laserbacks - and one drop pod, but who cares about that? - is too few. Do you think I should replace the devs with something else on tracks, like a Baal Predator?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-18-2012, 11:48 PM
There's no point me offering anything else up. :rolleyes:

Luvz2Sp00g3
07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Stormraven could be an answer.... Flyers are brutal, stuff is hitting it only on 6's unless dedicated AA, its AV 12 and Meltas lose their +1D6 penetration. AND it comes with a brutal array of weapons and missiles so whats not to love? (aside from the model's price...)

Drop the devastators in Drop Pod (which you shouldn't need as the Devs should be sat at home on the baseline pasting stuff anyways!), sub it in and maybe take a 5mna squad with jump packs to do a skies of blood assault without the 'raven having to slow down!