Theme:
Deathleaper-centric list

List Performance:
2 Wins, 0 Draws, 0 Losses

Overall Theme Performance:
2 Wins, 0 Draws, 1 Losses

1000 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Death

HQ:
. . 1 Tervigon, 210 pts (Cluster Spines; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Dominion; Catalyst; Onslaught)
. . 1 Tervigon, 210 pts (Cluster Spines; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Dominion; Catalyst; Onslaught)

Elite:
. . 1 Deathleaper, 140 pts

Troops:
. . 10 Termagant Brood, 50 pts

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1000

I have yet to play any games of 6th ed and was considering this to be my starting list for my first couple games.
I wanted to run the deathleaper and see how he fairs in 6th ed. Anyone used him yet?
I'm swapping the 3 tervigon powers for Biomancy since it seems like Tervigons can make great use of a lot of the powers listed on there.

Mawlocs can deal with fliers Mega-Shark style until FAQ says otherwise. And the deathleaper can help bring them in with pin-point accuracy.

I'm not looking for edits/list building suggestions. I welcome comments or strategic suggestions, specially those from players who have used the units included in this list already in 6th ed. I'd love to discuss what uses you've found for them

Dlatrex
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Is there a reason you list both Tevigon as HQ instead of moving one over to troops? I'd think the advantage of making it a scoring unit would give you better flexibility since you don't have FOC limits in the troop slot right now. If there is a 6th edition change that I am missing, I apologize for the derp.

Tynskel
07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Ahem, Mawlocs can deal with flyers mega shark style, on a 4+!

Akaiyou
07-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I had build the theme starting at 3,000 points multiple detachment, just never got around to switch the second HQ required down to troops.

After several revisions on the list I ultimately decided on the following:

1000 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Death

HQ:

Elite:

Troops:

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Trygon, 210 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1000

I decided that i might as well only have 1 tervigon for the warlord and to add a trygon for combat support. I have a lack of synapse in my army because im relying on that Tervigon getting 3 chances to get something useful on the Biomancy table to protect it. In a 1,000 pt game there shouldnt be too many things aiming to hurti t over the other MCs.

And plus I want to test out how the army works with a lack of synapse which on paper to me looks like it would work perfectly fine RAGE is not a handicap anymore which im loving as it allows me more flexibility in my armies instead of the constant worry on synapse.

=================================================

My 1st game was versus my good friend and his Tau whom I've been happily assaulting for the past 7 years with my Tyranids. I feel as if I had a bit of an unfair advantage as it was our first game and we agreed to run 'simple' armies to learn the rules.

I interpreted this as not using too many different unit types/squad leaders/and other stuff that would overly complicate our first test of 6th. So I build the list to just be MCs which work similarly and the gaunts/deathleaper pretty simple for a Tyranid list IMO.

He brought an Ethereal with honor guard fire warriors or whatever they are called, 3 large squads of fire warriors, one really large unit of Kroot with hounds and 2 hammerheads. Leaving all his vehicles/crisis suits etc etc in their box. As he interpreted this to be a game of using mostly the basic units in the army

He was not happy with the amount of MCs I brought to the table. And with good reason I basically crushed his whole army by turn 3 by just sending my mawlocs/trygon over to his side of the table with the deathleaper and keeping the tervigon and gaunts on my end far far far away from his rapid fire and thus not at all involved in the fighting.

Things I learned.

1. Deathleaper is pure win! Took out both of the hammerheads single-handedly. Turn 2 he showed up behind one and shot the rear armour exploding it. Not getting a negative modifier from AP - was nice. Exploded that Hammerhead

The other one got assaulted turn 3. Hitting vehicles on 3+ is a huge change from 5th. How i hated having to hit these things on 6s....

2. Carnivorous Forests are NOT to be taken lightly. Remember Forests are mysterious terrain...and D3 S5 attacks will kill your gaunts! In my head it just seemed like no big deal to lose one or two gaunts a turn, but it adds up quickly

3. Mawlocs can be very deadly versus Infantry if they hit....but where do you remove models from? It's not a shooting attack it doesn't get shot from any specific direction, it's more akin to a barrage weapon so where do you remove models from? In our game we simply agree to remove casualties from the models under the blast and counting those as being the 'closest' models

I'd say this thing works like a barrage in terms of wound allocation?

4. Deathleaper's 'It's after me!' special rule is still really good. I mainly want it for psychic defense but it really does mess with certain characters...in this case the Ethereal who had one of his special rules shut down basically by being dropped -3 Leadership.

Overall I'm happy with how this list played out seems to have potential and I want to try it out against a more formidable foe, specially against allied armies

Akaiyou
08-18-2012, 10:06 PM
2 more games with this theme.

Game 2
Opponent: Dark Eldar
Mission: Crusader
Deployment: Dawn of War
Winner: Tyranids

Highlights:
This game was a mess really it was my 2nd 6th edition game and I had asked a friend to 'tutor' me on the new rules since he's played several games already. He forgot to bring his rulebook to the LGS and it seemed like I knew the rules better tahn he did as I ended up correcting him on several items.

He played infantry based Dark Eldar with 1 venom as the only vehicle. The trygon destroyed the Succubus and her unit when they assaulted it, i thought for sure he was a goner but he held it down.

The mawlocs were the MVP of the game shooting up from the ground several times and crushing several units of Dark Eldar, they basically won me the game as well as the Trygon who crushed the HQ unit.

Deathleaper didn't even get a chance to be used really as he was assaulted by wyches after being shot by several rapire fire weapons.

Game 3
Opponent: Imperial Guard + Space Marine Allies
Mission: Scouring
Deployment: Vanguard Strike
Winner: Imperial Guard + Space Marine Allies

Highlights:

1 Vendetta, and 1 Storm Talon...Flyers were impossible for my list to seriously threaten.

3 Lehman Russ Batltetanks hit my squads hard with those S8 AP3 blasts.

Mawlocs completely missed, and as a safety measure I assaulted his blob of guardsmen, whom all had krak grenades and ended up withiering down the poor Mawlocs that for the life of them could not win a battle phase against the guardsmen. Krak Grenades on massive infantry is BAD NEWS for all MCs.

Deathleaper hilariously assaulted a platoon command squad that had a lascannon heavy...and he got overwatched into oblivion...smh...even his mighty 2+ cover save could do nothing to save the poor Deathleaper.

Ymgarl genestealers were worth it they came and damaged the lehman russes as well as assaulting the sternguard vets allies before they could get to do anything.

Outflanking Genestealers was terrible...both units ended up on the wrong side of the table far away from the objectives i needed. And completely out of the fight.

Rolling on the Telekinesis table with a Broodlord is very useless, Telekinetic Dome is nice to have vs shooting but the chance to get objuration is so low that it sucks.

Endurance is very very good on just about any unit.

I ended up getting objectives: 1, 3, 2 on my side. My opponent had 4, 3, 2 on his side. So I had an uphill battle the whole game, mysterious terrain rolled a 6...which made it dangerous to walk through so I just avoided moving through terrain as much as possible.

Mysterious objective also all seemed to benefit him lol only good thing I got on my side was skyfire on one of them...with no one to actually shoot at those damned flyers. So pointless where as he got the re-roll 1s and shorten enemy assault distance ones.

Overall i had everything going against me in this game even when things seemed to go in my favor during turn 2. I had almost all my reserves arrive, 2 mawloc, 1 trygon, deathleaper, and 2 units of YM right in his deployment zone threatening everything but were all dispatched with little difficulty.

I may start just using infiltrate from now on with the genestealers outflaking killed me, but i needed to get those high value objectives some how...Flyers are still too big of a problem for this theme tho.

This is the list i used:

1999 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Death

HQ:
. . 1 Tervigon, 195 pts (Cluster Spines; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Dominion; Catalyst)
. . 1 Tervigon, 195 pts (Cluster Spines; Adrenal Glands; Toxin Sacs; Dominion; Catalyst)

Elite:
. . 5 Ymgarl Genestealer Brood, 115 pts
. . 5 Ymgarl Genestealer Brood, 115 pts

Troops:
. . 10 Genestealer Brood, 233 pts (Toxin Sacs)
. . . . 1 Broodlord
. . . . 1 Broodlord
. . . . 1 Broodlord

Heavy Support:
. . 1 Trygon, 200 pts
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts
. . 1 Mawloc, 170 pts

Total Roster Cost: 1999