View Full Version : My first Necrns list

Sacrean
07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Overlord w/warscythe,Phase Shifter, Sempiternal weave and Phaeron
Total 180

Catacomb command barrage w/causs cannon
Total 80

Royal Court
2 lords with res orbs and warscythes and one harbinger of despair and veil of darkness
Total 210

Illuminator szeras
Total 100

Troops

Immortals +3
Total 136

Immortals +3 w/ Tesla Carbines
Total 136

Warriors+4
Total 117

ELITE

Lychguard +4 w/ hypersword/DS
Total 405

Triarch Praetorians +2 w/ Voidsword/PC
Total 280

Triarch Praetorians +2 w/ Voidsword/PC
Total 280

FAST ATTACK

Tomb Blades +2 w/ Nebuloscopes, Shield Vanes
Total 75

Grand total 1999

I know this army doesn't have many tanks or anything but I am giving them a test run before I commit to the money drop on big buck tanks. any and all feed back is welcome.

Chumbalaya
07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
What's the nice way to say it's awful? It's awful.

Your overlord has too much junk. If he's on a barge, all he needs is a warscythe. Barge lords are cheap, mobile and disposable anti-armor and disruption units. If he loses his ride he's going to get dropped, regardless of gear. Further, Phaeron is functionally useless for Necrons as they have no heavy weapons and rapid fire go changed in 6th.

Res orbs are not needed. Too expensive for a minor increase in survivability. You could just get more bodies. Also, mindshackle scarabs are a must on any Lord. A little over 50% chance to auto-win any challenge is well worth it.

Szeras is useless. He's an expensive lance that gives a meaningful improvement 33% of the time (+1T or bust).

You need more troops for 2000, I'd say 4 minimum. Also consider some transports for added mobility and firepower.

Lychguard on foot can't reach combat reliably. Hell, lychguard in general are just underwhelming. 3+/4++ just isn't thought enough for a dedicated assault unit.

Praetorians are a joke. Worst unit in the codex. Low attacks, no invul and a ridiculous price. Drop them like they're hot.

Do you really need BS5 when your guns are twin-linked? No. Tomb Blades aren't durable enough to be a front line assaulter, but stick them in reserve to make late objective grabs or to finish off a weakened unit.

Overall, it blows. Too many points sunk into expensive and useless units/upgrades. I'd just go back to the drawing board on this one. The greatest strengths of a necron army are your awesome weigh of fires, cheap and mobile vehicles and awesome challenge characters.

A better set up could have your Barge Lord, lychguard in a scythe, immortals in scythes, big units of immortals/warriors to hang back, annihilation barges and doom scythes supported by scarabs and tomb blades.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Keep Phase Shifter on the Barge Lord, as I've found out it is REALLY handy, stops him being insta-dead against characters like Astorath.

Kyban
07-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Always take mindshackles too, they're awsome against hard hitting units, my overlord held up the swarmlord for 3 game turns because he couldn't make the 3d6 lead and he almost killed himself to boot.

uglytater
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Annihilation Barges are amazing for the 90 points they cost. Praetorians I can only assume are good in one circumstance, and that's if you have 2 stalkers with a praetorian driving both. Has anyone tried stalkers? Wraiths are where it's at. Lychguard are nice, but a rending wraith makes people fear the reaper, and they're cheaper.

Nachodragon
07-24-2012, 12:15 PM
I haven't tried wraiths yet, but stalkers are the single most effective unit you can add to the army and bring it up several notches. Running a couple arks with warriors will insure whatever you shoot at with the stalker... will die.

Also, will second the Mindshackle. Though, people I play with seem to roll freaking low against me, but when it goes off, it is magical. Had Lysander eat his own hammer once. Beautiful.

Since 6th, I am unsure of the barge overlords. Since you can't do long range sweeps anymore, he is an expensive solo melee unit. As phase, warscythe, and MSS are pretty much required, it puts 1 guy at 240 points. He is nothing to snuff at in combat, but I have been underwhelmed when I have brought him now.

Oh, and Annihilation Barges are super awesome!

Kyban
07-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Since 6th, I am unsure of the barge overlords. Since you can't do long range sweeps anymore, he is an expensive solo melee unit. As phase, warscythe, and MSS are pretty much required, it puts 1 guy at 240 points. He is nothing to snuff at in combat, but I have been underwhelmed when I have brought him now.

Yeah, only 3 attacks base and I always seem to miss with all of them. I might be switching to a DLord, or at least give one a try, maybe with TPraetorians or Wraiths. Other than that the Stormlord and Zhandrek are great force multipliers.

Nachodragon
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, only 3 attacks base and I always seem to miss with all of them. I might be switching to a DLord, or at least give one a try, maybe with TPraetorians or Wraiths. Other than that the Stormlord and Zhandrek are great force multipliers.

Played with a Dlord this weekend, charged, rolled to hits. Then rolled 2 1's to wound, er, ok, Preferred enemy... rolled two 1's!!! I know your pain.

Since Night fight change, I think Stormlord took a hit in power. Granting cover is nice to my units, but I think I liked when there was a chance the enemy just couldn't shoot me. But, I haven't played him yet in 6th, so not sure. I have always loved Zhandrek but he never quite delivers, tank hunters are silly for Necrons now, and the only other USR that is good is Stealth. Night vision, Furious charge and counter attack are somewhat silly.

uglytater
07-24-2012, 12:46 PM
The DLord with Wraiths gives all of the wraiths preferred enemy, and with Rending not allowing an armor save on wound rolls of 6 I am a fan of this unit. Also I think my DLord is my best painted hq... sad but that does make me like him a little bit more.

Black Hydra
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
The only reason you should use Lychguard are if you are taking a special character. I don't use Command Barges and usually place my Overlord with a group of Immortals with a Res Orb. Given the way my list works, having Res Orbs really makes them dead hard. Depending on the opponent I take either shifters for armies with lots of AP2 or the weave for heavy volume of low quality fire. What does this have to do with the special character? Well I either use Anrakyr (killpoints or whatever it is now in 6th ed) or Trazyn (objectives games and Imotekh sucks IMO) so having those 4++'s is really helpful. I give them a Nightscythe transport to zip around scoring objectives with Trollzyn or taking control of vehicles with Anrakyr.

So the point is that Lychguard should be on guard duty and since you are running the command barge I wouldn't bother with them.

Replace the Praetorians with Wraiths. You'll love them, trust me. Ignoring all terrain really rocks. And they still are jump infantry with particle casters as an option. They might be more expensive but are worth it IMO. But if you are playing objectives, tomb blades might be the way to go instead of wraiths. Reason is because you can swoop in and contest an objective with the Blades. Wraiths are better used as rear guard against deep strikers or as a vanguard against shooters given their pseudo-TEQ statlines.

Having a Ghost Ark will limit your Warriors to 10 (less if you attach someone else to them) but in objective games are hard to move. In fact every turn move them the minimum distance required to get a jinks save. I'd recommend some Doomscythes maybe? Or the Doomsday Ark. I think I'm the only one who's crazy enough to use a Monolith but with jink saves, maybe not so crazy anymore.

Oh yeah and drop Szeras. Anrakyr and Trazyn are better utility characters IMO.

Col.Straken
07-25-2012, 03:33 PM
I find Zahndrehk, in a unit of 15 warriors a great home objective sitter and usually gives him sight over the whole board to use his counter tactics, he is 5pts more than your Lord but with the same gear (minus phaeron) and loads a extra rules.

Triarch Stalkers are amazing force multipliers, my local club target mine first because they know how much it boosts my army (might have to get a second soon)

Destroyer Lords with Septermal and Mindshakle are great character hunters for 160pts stick him in a unit of wraiths for a 3++ as he doesn't have one, and he is safe from Power Weapons(ap3), Plasma (LoS!) and fists should die before he gets to hit. Mindshakle give you an extra chance in challenges just incase you roll terrible LD on 3d6 isn't easy to pass even LD10 just ask the Doom.

Wraiths are good (I wouldn't say great but I only use 3), they give your DLord a 3++ against shooting though!

Night Scythes are amazing at the moment, 15 warriors appearing 29" (23" move + 6" disembark pleas dont tell me im doing it wrong) on the board and fireing usually 30 shots (15 warriors rapid firing) will kill almost anything!

I like warriors...

Infinite Freedom
07-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Bring the Stalkers. A triple threat of them is down right dangerous. Add in the new rules for vehicles... yeah.