PDA

View Full Version : Old 3rd Edition Eldar Player Needs Help

Infidel Yankee
07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I'll admit, haven't played 40k since 3rd edition. I got sucked into WoW and got lost in the warp. However, I have thrown the shackles off and have jumped back into 6th edition with both feet. But I'm lost when it comes to fielding my Eldar army now

I've come up with two 1500 point lists that seem workable, but I'm not sure which way to go.

List A (Hammer and Anvil)

Farseer w/Fortune

10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/2 Avenger SC, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent (TL Bright Lances)
10 Dire Avengers, Exarch w/2 Avenger SC, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent (TL Bright Lances)
10 Wraithguard & Spiritseer w/Conceal
10 Guardians w/SL & Warlock w/Embolden

6 Warp Spiders, Exarch w/Withdraw, Hit & Run, Powerblades, Death Spinner x2

1 Wraithlord w/WS and BL

DA's are the hammer, WG & WL are the anvil. Warp spiders are the fire brigade helping the anvil or the Guardians who are sitting on objective.

List B (Walking Castle)

Farseer w/Doom, Fortune, RoW, Spirit Stones

10 Wraithguard & Spiritseer w/Spear
10 Guardians w/SL & Warlock w/Conceal & Spear
10 Guardians w/SL & Warlock w/Conceal & Spear
10 Guardians w/EML & Warlock w/Embolden
10 Guardians w/EML & Warlock w/Embolden

1 Wraithlord w/WS & BL
1 Wraithlord w/WS & BL

With the exception of the Guardians w/ EML's, who are objective sitting (if needed), the rest of the army moves forward en masse.

So there we have it. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome!

Chexmix282
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM
The second list is much better, imo. Only running 2 vehicles makes them very large targets.

A few suggestions:

I would not take Conceal on the Guardian squads, as they should have no problems staying in cover anyway. Those points can quite easily be used elsewhere. In fact, if you drop all 4 of your Guardian Warlocks, you have enough points for a 3rd Wraithlord! Embolden is not as necessary with the Avatar's Fearless bubble, and your Guardians should be avoiding combat completely so the Warlock's Fleshbane attacks will not be of much use.

As awesome as the Wraithsword is, you would be better off giving each Wraithlord a Bright Lance and Missile Launcher. Having 3 Wraithlords such as this (keep them close to the Wraithguard to avoid Wraithsight) will give you a good amount of anti-tank firepower. Make sure to give each of them 2 Flamers as well. Dropping Guide and Spirit Stones from the Farseer should pay for these additional upgrades.

Make sure you keep those Wraithguard fortuned!

Here is how I would run your list, with my changes:

Farseer 100
-Fortune, Runes of Warding

4 x 10 Guardians 380
-Scatter Laser
10 Wraithguard 399
-Spiritseer w/ Spear, Enhance

3 x Wraithlord 465
-Bright Lance, EML, 2 Flamers

Looks like a good Eldar force, especially if you are playing Iyanden. Hope that helps!

DrLove42
07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
Dont take 10 Wraithguard. Just don't

They might seem like a survivable troops choice but they SUCK. They will never make their points back, a 12" range means they will rarely even get to shoot before being assaulted. And then they only have 10attacks.

Take a smallish group, if you want a surviable troops choice take Pathfinders in cover. The points could be much better used. At present your army is short on firepower and is only putting out about 10 shots a turn. Consider war walkers with scatter lasers

Infidel Yankee
08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

thecactusman17
08-04-2012, 10:41 PM
One concern is that in each case, your Farseer could benefit from being Mastery 2 with Spirit Stones (the FAQ indirectly states that yes, they do count for Mastery by referring to them as contributing to Edrad's Mastery Level). There is a strong argument to be made for ignoring the main powers entirely and instead rolling on the Divination chart. Misfortune in particular makes Doom look like a Warlock power by comparison when shooting Space Marines of any sort, and Foreboding is extremely good as well. PLUS, you can cast them during the enemy phase. Including the Primaris power, which act's just like Guide but has longer range, affects close combat, Overwatch, and allied units as well.

Lost Vyper
08-10-2012, 07:28 AM
I´ve been playing the WW`s and a farseer close by, plus Pathfinders sitting on an objective. I get two powers for the farseer (get the cheapest one´s, if using the 6th edition), Spirit Stones and go for the Divination. Try to roll for the 4+ Inv. save one and if you fail the first throw, get the primaries power. I got the 4+ save + Primaris in the last game, and the WW´s were defending the objective beautifully! In the end i had to send them in to close combat (those pesky StrormRavens brought the BA´s VERY quickly in my neck of the woods...) and they held their own for 3 turns! So to make this rambling mean something, get the WW`s + Farseer and try it out. On the next game i got 2 x 3 WW´s and a farseer to boost them.