PDA

View Full Version : Space wolf landraiders

Ivarr
09-30-2009, 09:15 AM
This is a question for anyone who has access to a copy of the new codex...under the wolf guard heading, it says that one squad may take a land raider as a dedicated transport...and see the heavy section for cost...does this mean that the wolves can take a 4th landraider...3 heavies and 1 dedicated....please read the relevant section of the rules and help me discuss this possibility intelligently...

Exitus Acta Probat
09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
This is a question for anyone who has access to a copy of the new codex...under the wolf guard heading, it says that one squad may take a land raider as a dedicated transport...and see the heavy section for cost...does this mean that the wolves can take a 4th landraider...3 heavies and 1 dedicated....please read the relevant section of the rules and help me discuss this possibility intelligently...

short answer,
YES.

'one wolf guard unit may...dedicated transport...see heavy support for cost'

that sums it up.
why you would want 4 in one of the few viable footlists in 5th edition I don't know, but yes.
:)

sorry, appropriate Rulebook entry BRB pg 67 Ded Port box bottom right...
"these 'dedicated transports' do not use up a slot on the force organisation chart."
combined with the Wolf Guard entry,
bingo.

Duke
09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
After reading the codex I agree 100%. What is better than 3 Land Raiders? 4! Let us know how it goes.

Duke

Kanaellars
09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
short answer,
YES.

'one wolf guard unit may...dedicated transport...see heavy support for cost'

that sums it up.
why you would want 4 in one of the few viable footlists in 5th edition I don't know, but yes.
:)

sorry, appropriate Rulebook entry BRB pg 67 Ded Port box bottom right...
"these 'dedicated transports' do not use up a slot on the force organisation chart."
combined with the Wolf Guard entry,
bingo.

What specifically makes the Wolves a "viable footlist" ?

Exitus Acta Probat
09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
K:
it's not so much that it's better as a slogger, but it is viable.
Bloodcrushers (sorry, I meant to say thunderwolves ;) ) with 3+ invulns(and a wulfen,and a single th-hammer)/rending and base T-5/12" charge and fleet...
Lone Wolves
Move and shoot split fire devestators (with Logan) or str 10 lascannon (again with logan)...not that it's the most efficient thing, but still scawy.

at 2000pts, the things you can do are better served than dropping 500 extra points into LR's...
IMHO.

though it's certainly fun, I DO play heavy LR myself. buuuut...

I personally missed the Lone Wolf bandwagon till someone else pointed it out (liked it as a singleton concept, not optimized...now I have been shown their potential)
and though I am still on the fence with whether they will work out or not, scouts are footborn by definition..and a suicide outflanking wolf toting combimelta/fist melta bomb battle leader can be a fun threat...though not overly competitive, intermingled with other elements it can be interesting.
Add Njal to put paid to units forced out of ports/other sloggers and you get to dominate alot of movement phases.

They're actually viable low mech...

jeffersonian000
09-30-2009, 11:07 PM
The only reason I don't field 4 Land Raiders at 1500pts is that I'm sure someone will slash my tires if I do. :D

SJ

Confuddled
10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
.and a suicide outflanking wolf totingcombimelta/fist melta bomb battle leader can be a fun threat...

Assuming, by "wolf toting", you mean the Battle Leader is riding a Thunderwolf and has a pair of Fenrisian Wolves to keep him company, then yeah, he can be a heck of a threat, seeing as how he can charge anything within 19” of a table edge when he shows up. :D

But, back to the topic at hand - yeah, Space Wolves can only field up to 4 Land Raiders.

Quite pitiful, really, especially compared to their generic Codex brethren and their Chaos counterparts (both of whom can field 5 Raiders at 2000 points with points to spare! ;)

wolflold
10-22-2009, 04:35 AM
OR... 6 Land Raiders (3 heavy 3 Elite). Or with Logan 12 Land Raiders (3 heavy 3 elite 6 troop), will never see it happen but still...