PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves Grey Hunters

Kanaellars
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Been looking through the new codex, and I cant help wondering.

I used to always keep a Wolf Guard with each hunters squad, I liked the extra punch he added.

My layout was always something like:

Wolf Guard, Power Fist
Grey Hunter, Power Weapon
Grey Hunter, Melta/Plasma/Flamer (alternated between squads)
7 Grey Hunters

All in a Rhino.

Anyone think the layout still works?

Duke
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
With all the distraction that "Wolfwing," and "jaws of the world wolf (JotWW)" have created I feel that people aren't focusing enough on the awsomeness that is Grey Hunters.

With rules like counter attack and having a Bolter as well as Bolt Pistol close combat weapon. They will be ultra flexible.

I think that you will see similar units coming from this codex though it maylook like this

9 Hunters: Metla
1 Wolf guard: Misc. equipment.

Something I have thought about is a Grey Hunter squad with an attatched Wolf Guard in Termie armour w/ A cyclone Missle launcher... Could the Wolf guard go in the Rhino (but count as 2?) I think not... But correct me if im wrong.

Duke

Kanaellars
09-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Umm, sure he could. That was the other layout I was considering...

Wolf Guard Terminator
Grey Hunter, Power Weapon
Grey Hunter, Special Weapon
6 Grey Hunters (the minus 1 for room in Rhino)

DarkLink
09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
A wolfguard in terminator armor would prevent the unit from fitting in a rhino.

The real choice is between a wolf guard and a second special weapon. Depends on your playstyle which is more valuable to you.

Chumbalaya
09-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Yep, the big question now is if you want to lose out on a cheap 2nd special weapon or add a fighty WG. For me, 1 melta just isn't reliable and I don't feel the need for a pricey combat unit in cheap scoring unit. I've got Wolf Guard, Lone Wolves, and Thunderwolf Cavalry for fighting, I just want cheap meltas on a mobile unit that can hold its own in a fight. The powerfist in the unit definitely isn't worth it for just one attack.

If you want a more aggro style, a Wolf Guard would be useful, but I'd still tack on that combi-melta just in case.

kamstew
09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
where is everyone viewing this codex?

Chumbalaya
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Most stores should have a preview copy for viewing.

And you can find anything on the internet ;)

Confuddled
09-30-2009, 06:57 PM
These days, I’d probably go with 6 Grey Hunters (or 5 Grey Hunters and a Wolf Guard) in a Razorback. Call it either:

5 Grey Hunters, melta gun, power weapon,
Wolf Guard with combi-melta, power fist
Razorback (t/l heavy bolter)

OR

6 Grey Hunters, flamer
Razorback (t/l lascannon)

First squad configuration gets pushed forward to contest/seize objectives and kill stuff.

Second (cheaper!!) squad configuration is used as a garrison to hold “home” objectives, or to support the more offensive Grey Hunter squads.

Trick is, apart from the option to take a second special weapon, I really don’t see the point behind taking a full-strength Grey Hunter squad anymore.

1) You can’t combat-squad Grey Hunters, so each squad will (generally) only be able to claim/contest 1 objective.

2) When it comes to kill points, 4 extra wounds aren’t going to make that much of a difference, especially since you’ll probably be buttoned up in your transport anyway.

3) In objective-based games, the Razorbacks give the “stay-at-home” squads something productive to do while the rest of your army swarms forward.

4) While a small 6-man squad won’t be able to take on a 30-Ork mob single-handed, neither can a full-strength 10-man Grey Hunter squad.

At the same time, even 6 Grey Hunters (or 5 Grey Hunters and a Wolf Guard) are hitty enough to finish off remnant squads.

(12 S4, 3 S4 power weapon and 3 S8 power fist attacks on the first round of combat? Yeah… I can live with that…)

This is assuming I'm running a relatively mechanised list, mind!

About the only] time I’d consider fielding a full-strength squad? If I were to run a foot-slogging Space Wolves list – 10 Grey Hunters, a Wolf Guard and some sort of Ld boost (Wolf Lord with Saga of Majesty, attached Wolf Priest etc) somewhere close by.

Kanaellars
10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Fair enough, but I have always had good results with full squads.

MuNsTeNbRaU
10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
I was thinking I would be taking large ish squads in the transports and give them all wolf standard and mark of the wulfen. I do agree that there is not enough focus on the grey hunters and i believe that they are the best thing to come out of the codex (apart from the murderous hurricane power which is great)