PDA

View Full Version : The dream that haunts me......

olberon
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Intro:
As the title might suggest. I had a dream about this table and for some reason my subconscious mind is trying to tell me this is the table i need to build this Edition.
Its customary since 2nd edition that we (family) set out and build us a gaming table suitable for all our warhammer 40k missions. This year i drew the lucky straw and trying to
out manoeuvre the table that was chosen last edition (wasteland with no cover whatsoever) The gears started grinding. After a few days of sleep depredation i decided it was time to get some
shut-eye. And since the wife always keeps some paper and a pen next to her bed i got lucky for once. The moment i woke up the image of the table was still pretty clear so i started to draw, and this is the result

Result:
Ok dont mock me for my drawing skill, clearly thats not one of my best traits.
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh593/warhammerpaintservice/Crimson%20Fists/IMG_7394.jpg

Goal:
The goal is to build a multilevel modular hivecity gamingboard. The board consists of 5 4ft x 4ft gaming boards connected to each other with bridges, Yes dear reader thats a lot of gaming table to cover. No need to worry tho we build them bigger in the past hahahaaha. The modular piece, and this is what im proud of, is that the boards will be build up like a jigsaw puzzle, all the pieces can fit on any of the boards, anywhere in random order!
This will give you limitless variations.

The Plan:
starting this will be pretty straightforward, buy a few sheets of mdf and start working form there the scenery will consist of GW terrain (god i love the fact that my whole family pitches in for this kind of projects) so there will be a lot of sprues to cut and rubble to make. there is a lot of work to do so ill go and finish my "drawing" for the rest of the family so they can see what the plan is.

Update 1:
Yes!!, i even havnt finished my post and already i got an update for you. As ypu can see in the picture the struts (for lack of a better word) are going to be placed in the board by using pegs. That way i we are felling really adventurous we can even extend them to 8" height. Also my wife opted a custom mission with teleporters. Teleporting your troops across the boards to seize objectives. Would be nice to add some randomness to that if you get what i mean (evul grin)

well thats it for now im signing of for this moment...........
Any comments and ideas are more then welcome!

SotonShades
08-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Very nice idea mate! More than a little jelous that you have the room for a setup like this!

How are you going to be doing the bridges? With locator pegs (which I imagine would limit the abitlit to place the boards on 8" legs, unless it was 8" next to a 4" next to a 0") or just sitting on the edges (which I imagine woul;d be less than fun when they slip and are covered in models!)? Also, what kind of length are you envisioning for them?

Edit; I'm very glad I'm not the only one who suffers from these types of creatively driven dreams!

olberon
08-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Very nice idea mate! More than a little jelous that you have the room for a setup like this!

How are you going to be doing the bridges? With locator pegs (which I imagine would limit the abitlit to place the boards on 8" legs, unless it was 8" next to a 4" next to a 0") or just sitting on the edges (which I imagine woul;d be less than fun when they slip and are covered in models!)? Also, what kind of length are you envisioning for them?

Edit; I'm very glad I'm not the only one who suffers from these types of creatively driven dreams!

The bridges will be connected to the board indeed using pegs to keep them in place there will be some fixed places on the board where the raised edges can be removed and where holes are drilled out .

Im currently thinking of making the bridges around 12 inch maybe a bit more

also a nice note is that im starting the project after i get some sleep (had a bit to much redbull tonight)