PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Points High Elves

Learn2Eel
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm a relatively new WHFB player and I've started High Elves recently.
I love the look and feel of the models, as well as the cooler monsters - the Dragons are awesome!
I started with Island of Blood (and I'm also hopefully going to be able to trade the Skaven from the box for another person's Island of Blood High Elves), and I have also purchased a box of Dragon Princes, a High Elf Lord and BSB, and a box of Spearmen.

The usual points limit in my local area is 2000 points, and I'll be quite honest; I have absolutely no idea what I am going to run, or what I want to run. I'm very much open to any and all unit suggestions.
These are the models I own at the moment;

LORDS/HEROES
High Elf Lord on Horse, High Elf Hero with Battle Standard, High Elf Mage/Archmage, High Elf Lord on Griffon

CORE
26 Lothern Sea Guard

SPECIAL
10 Sword Masters, 5 Dragon Princes, 5 Ellyrian Reavers, 2 Phoenix Guard (lol)

If I am able to trade the Skaven I have for another persons High Elves, I'll end up with 36 Sea Guard, two Archmage/Mages, two Lords on Griffons, 20 Sword Masters and 10 Ellyrian Reavers.
Each unit I've assembled so far has a full command. I've been told quite repeatedly to get more core; are Sea Guard good to work with or are they too expensive for what they do?
I'm really not very cluey on the way Fantasy works; I know there aren't really 'squads' and mostly you have big blocks of each unit you have. My issue is working out numbers and when each unit is big enough to expand into a separate unit.
I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to what kind of army list I could potentially make from all of that, what units/models I should purchase, etc.
Some units I would like to include or have (i.e. different ones from what I have above) are; Dragons, Teclis, Tyrion, White Lions, Phoenix Guard.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Learn2Eel
08-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey guys, I've come up with an actual army list, mostly pulled from sample army lists online.

There's little in the way of ranged firepower in this list, but from what I gather some people forgo archers altogether in High Elf lists sometimes, preferring a minimum Core selection of Spearmen.
I can drop the Spearmen down in this list, but sixty Spearmen in three blocks of twenty is a pretty decent anvil for my Phoenix Guard and White Lions, Special choices that are also very durable either in general or at range.
It comes to 102 models at 2000 points, which I think is pretty darn decent for High Elves, considering how - paired with Lore of Life (if Teclis chooses that) - difficult it can be to wipe out each unit, and how hard they can hit.

Mostly, being a Teclis list, the focus is obviously on keeping him alive - hence the high model count and focus on Phoenix Guard/White Lions. I can see Lore of Life being my usual choice for Teclis, simply because trying to kill that many hard-hitting units that can simply be replaced would be a nightmare (T7 4+ Ward come back from the dead Phoenix Guard :D). However, I see that Lore of Shadow is also very popular for him.

Anyway, here's the list;

High Elves 2000
Lords
Teclis - 475

Heroes
Noble w/ BSB, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon - 168

Core
Spearmen (20) w/ Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner - 225
Spearmen (20) w/ Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer - 205
Spearmen (20) w/ Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer - 205

Special
Phoenix Guard (20) w/ Banner of Sorcery, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, Standard Bearer - 380
White Lions (20) w/ Banner of Eternal Flame, Guardian, Musician, Standard Bearer - 340

I'm not well versed at all on Fantasy army list writing or tactics, so any criticism is greatly appreciated.
The plan would typically be to have Teclis go in the Phoenix Guard unit I presume. I'm guessing a formation of one Spearmen unit in the middle, then the Phoenix Guard and White Lions on either flank of the middle unit, then the other two Spearmen units flanking the Special choices, would be ideal?
Considering I have to protect Teclis, would it be better to stick him in the War Banner Spearmen unit and have the other units protecting Teclis' unit?
This list obviously doesn't have any real fast-moving elements, but I still have to move in close.
As a rule of thumb, I know Teclis is supposed to be the be-all, end-all of my army list, and I have to protect him like a baby duckling.

Chronowraith
08-17-2012, 07:01 AM
I would drop a unit of spearmen and roll most of the point over into the other two units so you have larger spearmen blocks. You need something to negate steadfast and units of 20 aren't going to get you very far.

Any remaining points should be spent on giant eagles who are there to deal with flankers, scouts, war machines, lone characters, etc. Also, they provide some redirect support.

If any points remain after beefing up to a minimum of 25 models each for the spearmen and buying hopefully two great eagles, sink any remaining points into more phoenix guard... even if you have an odd number.

I would do the breakdown for you, but I don't have my high elf book in front of me.

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 07:22 AM
If I do as you suggest, I come up with this - and 17 points to spare (I'd really rather not buy a third box of Phoenix Guard for one extra guy lol);

High Elves 2000
Lords
Teclis - 475

Heroes
Noble w/ BSB, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon - 168

Core
Spearmen (25) w/ Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer, War Banner - 270
Spearmen (25) w/ Sentinel, Musician, Standard Bearer - 250

Special
Phoenix Guard (20) w/ Banner of Sorcery, Keeper of the Flame, Musician, Standard Bearer - 380
White Lions (20) w/ Banner of Eternal Flame, Guardian, Musician, Standard Bearer - 340

Rare
Great Eagle - 50
Great Eagle - 50

The Great Eagles should definitely be able to deal with any warmachines my opponents have, or at least have my opponent reposition them to deal with the Eagles instead of firing on my precious units.

Chronowraith
08-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Eh, I wouldn't buy a box for one model, but add him to the list and proxy him in... you could convert one of the spearmen into a make-shift phoenix guard by simply swapping the spear out for a halberd.

Overall I like the list better... I know you said you weren't worried about mobility but Fantasy is won or lost by maneuvering and other armies could easily tarpit your units with useless units and then focus on destroying a unit at a time.

Learn2Eel
08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh I understand that part of the game - I'm not really able to apply it as yet though - but I more meant I don't see it as too big an issue if I don't have many cavalry/fast moving units. I love Dragon Princes and would love to run them though.

Darkstar70
09-30-2012, 12:47 AM
You could also make "unit fillers". Just take a 40mm square base and make a mini diorama on it. This should take the place of 4 models when you put it in the middle of your formation.

Learn2Eel
02-12-2013, 02:00 AM
Hey again guys, just thought I would post back here as I am still tossing up between continuing my High Elves or starting the Warriors of Chaos army in the other thread. Whilst I've worked out that buying either forces I need would virtually be the same cost (surprisingly), the High Elves do have the disadvantage of getting a new codex soon.

Anyway, I came up with another army list by taking in some suggestions elsewhere;

High Elves 2000
Lords
Teclis – 475

Heroes
Noble w/ BSB, banner of the world dragon, shield, dragon armour – 178
Korhil – 140

Core
Spearmen (24) w/ champion with skeinsliver, banner bearer, musician – 266
Spearmen (24) w/ champion, banner bearer, musician – 241

Special
Phoenix Guard (22) w/ champion with amulet of light, banner bearer with banner of sorcery, musician – 425
Sword Masters (10) w/ champion, standard bearer – 174

Rare
Great Eagle – 50
Great Eagle - 50

Essentially, there's a greater emphasis on Teclis' unit, some very slight adjustments to the Spearmen, but replacing the chunky White Lions unit with a Sword Masters unit intended for flanking and distraction. This is largely based on where I play - most people I talk to are scared *censored* by Sword Masters - taking a small 10-strong unit is thus a great way to draw people's attention, though trying to find the points for a second unit of course may be wiser. I also made the BSB in this one less kitted out, but gave him the Banner of the World Dragon to safeguard the Phoenix Guard/Teclis from those disgusting magic spells like Dwellers Below and the like. I also added Korhil as he makes the Phoenix Guard Stubborn and pushes Teclis out of the front row. I see though that Caradryan is the popular choice in terms of the Teclis/Phoenix Guard/BotWD combo, as he dissuades challengers.

I did notice though that war machines/scouts/stuff like that are very rare where I play (oddly, they are mostly WoC players, which is another reason I might do High Elves instead) so the role of Great Eagles is kind of diminished. Still, best to keep them - though if I am playing locally and know they aren't needed, a second ten-strong unit of Sword Masters might work better, give both the Musicians, and maybe give one the Banner of Eternal Flame? Just tossing up ideas. Basically, I know the point is to keep Teclis alive.