PDA

View Full Version : Assault general question

Ninthplain
10-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Hello all,

I have a simple, altho I am at a loss, question about the finishing of an assault.

I have a group of space marines in hand to hand with a chaos dred. The marines lose combat by two and role their leadership and fail. In the rule book it states that each side roles a dice and adds initiative. The marine group was above half at the end of combat.

In this game the marines role was beaten by the dred and we played it as the marine squad gets picked up and the dred makes its advance. Did we do that correctly? Our confusion centers around the regrouping that marines can do and wondered if the fight continues at the point they are caught.

Thank you in advance,

Ninthplain

Denzark
10-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Without looking at references, I understnad marines ATSKNF prevents them being destroyed if caught in hth after losing an ini roll.

so if they win the ini roll they pull away 2d6 and the en consolidate. Yes those marines would then get to shoot and assault next turn if they do this in the en turn. If they lose the roll they simply remain in hth.

mercer
10-01-2009, 07:26 AM
The Marines can choose to automatically fail the leadership test and fall back, and they cannot be destroyed by sweeping advance but are subject to the no retreat rule, this is all as per ATSKNF.

So, the dread wouldn't destroy them via sweeping advance to answer your question.

Ninthplain
10-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Thank you for the clarrification. I will let everyone in our group know.

Ninthplain

Culven
10-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I have a group of space marines in hand to hand with a chaos dred. The marines lose combat by two and roll their leadership and fail. In the rule book it states that each side rolls a dice and adds initiative.
Correct. This is the Sweeping Advance roll.

The marine group was above half at the end of combat.
This would have ne bearing upon combat resolution. Half strength only applied when attempting to regroup, but "And They Shall Know No Fear" (ATSKNF) overrides the restriction anyway. So, Space Marines don't need to worry about being under half-strength.

In this game the marines roll was beaten by the dred and we played it as the marine squad gets picked up and the dred makes its advance. Did we do that correctly?
By "picked up", I assume that you are referring to the unit being destroyed due to being caught in the Sweeping Advance. If so, then no, you did not play it correctly. ATSKNF states that if the Marines are caught, then "No Retreat!" will apply instead of the unit being destroyed. None of the models will be moved excep for "Pile In".

Our confusion centers around the regrouping that marines can do and wondered if the fight continues at the point they are caught.
Space Marines, through ATSKNF, automatically pass their Leadership test to Regroup, but this is not done until the following Marine turn. It will have no effect upon Combat Resolution and Sweeping Advance.

mercer
10-01-2009, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the clarrification. I will let everyone in our group know.

Ninthplain

No worries ;) . ONe thing I did not mention, which Culven did, but you should know this anyway, that when the Marines regroup they move 3" automatically.

VinceBlack
10-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Blessed be the marines. Its stated right just remember that when marines are beaten in combat and fail their leadership test you roll off inish with opponent. If you are beaten rather than being wiped out you remain in CC. Don't forget that you do suffer a wound for every point you lost combat by because you suffer the 'no retreat rule.' These wounds are normal so armor saves do apply.

mercer
10-02-2009, 05:39 AM
edit.