PDA

View Full Version : Mech Guard 2000pts TAKE 2!

drummerholt1234
10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
HQ
Company Command Squad
x2 Plasma Guns
Flamer
Astropath
Chimera w/ ML/HB
These guys are a pretty standard in a guard army. I outfitted them to be an anti-elite infantry unit which the rest of the army lacks a bit. It also adds some anti-horde with that flamer (pretty much point filler).

Troops
Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns
Demolitions
Chimera w/ ML/HF
Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns
Demolitions
Chimera w/ ML/HF
These 2 squads can do one of two things. First, they can just chill in their chimeras and pop-tanks and some infantry from the safety of their transport. The second thing that they can do (if I have a first move) is leave their chimeras and deploy in the single valkyrie and vendetta and go for a first turn alphastrike on stationary vehicles with their meltabombs.
Vet Squad
x3 Meltaguns
Chimera w/ ML/HF
These guys drive around in their transports and pop some tanks! The chimera build give nice anti-infantry and anti-horde.

Infantry Platoon
Platoon Command Squad w/ Chimera w/ ML/HF
Infantry Squad w/ Flamer
Infantry Squad w/ Flamer
This setup may seem weird but hear me out. The PCS just chills in the chimera and holds an objective. The IS go inside the squadron of vendettas (if the vets are alpha-striking) or in the single valkyrie/vendetta (if the vets start in their to make them scoring.

Elites

Psyker Battle Squad (x6 Psychers) w/ Chimera w/ ML/HB

Psyker Battle Squad (x6 Psychers) w/ Chimera w/ ML/HB

These guys are mainly in the army for the weaken resolve power but a S6 pieplate is not too bad ;)

Fast Attack
Valkyrie w/ multiple rocket pod

Some good anti-horde.

Vendetta

Vendetta Squadron w/ x2 Vendettas

These provide some nice long-range anti-tank that this army needs.

Heavy Support

Manticore

Manticore

2-6 pieplates a turn is always nice!

So thats 13 tanks most of which are scoring. The army puts out tons of fire every turn and is very balanced IMO. Thoughts? Comments welcome :)

Chumbalaya
10-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Looks like an interesting set up. It's very much an alpha strike army with the manticores and scouting vehicles full of burny/melty goodness.

mercer
10-02-2009, 05:46 AM
The Chimeras for the vets are dedicated transports, they must deploy with them and not in the Valkyries. You would have to bail out the Chimeras and then into the Valkyries, and remember if you plan on going flat out you cannot with a squad which has just embarked. So, unfortunately that plan won't work.

I think all units are sweet, except for the platoon. Flamers are 9" and you plan to walk? Bad idea. Get a long range weapon and perhaps camp it out?

Chumbalaya
10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
I think the infantry are riding in the Valks. A CCS/PCS combo or PCS/SWS can get you more special weapons for the points, survivability usually isn't an issue with Valk suicide squads :P

drummerholt1234
10-02-2009, 08:44 AM
The Chimeras for the vets are dedicated transports, they must deploy with them and not in the Valkyries. You would have to bail out the Chimeras and then into the Valkyries, and remember if you plan on going flat out you cannot with a squad which has just embarked. So, unfortunately that plan won't work.

Actually they can. The only limitation on dedicated transports is that the only unit that can be deployed in them is their unit. However the unit does not have to be deployed it their dedicated transport and therefore can be deployed in another non-dedicated transport.

If I wrong please cite where you find you ruling...

Thanks for the input thou.

mercer
10-02-2009, 09:15 AM
No, you are correct, I just checked. I thought only the unit it was brought with can and MUST deploy it in. But its in fact only the unit it was brought for CAN deploy in it, doesn't say they have too ;) - which gives me a plan :)