PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Legion Special Rules

Bigred
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi guys,

I have a good design challenge for you today. Its been more than 2 years since we updated the Age of Heresy Campaign book, and the time is now!

There have been multiple new Horus Heresy novels in the interrum, and 5th edition as well as the Space Marine codex has been updated. As we begin our total revamp of our beloved campaign book, we would like to get the BoLS readership involved in some early brainstorming.

Today's challenge my fellow Horus Heresy enthusiasts is the following:

1) Select one or more Legions from the list below.
2) Write out a "chapter tactics" rule no more than a paragraph in length (see Codex: Space Marines for examples) that would be assigned the Legion's named characters that would exemplify their background and legion charactersistics. Be sure to add your justification fo the abilities.
3) Drop your creation into the thread.

Legion I: Dark Angels
Legion III: Emperor's Children
Legion IV: Iron Warriors
Legion V: White Scars
Legion VI: Space Wolves
Legion VII: Imperial Fists
Legion VIII: Night Lords
Legion IX: Blood Angels
Legion X: Iron Hands
Legion XII: World Eaters
Legion XIII: Ultramarines
Legion XIV: Death Guard
Legion XV: Thousand Sons
Legion XVI: Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves
Legion XVII: Word Bearers
Legion XVIII: Salamanders
Legion XIX: Raven Guard
Legion XX: Alpha Legion

~I can't wait to see what you all come up with. Remember we are talking about the Legions at the time of the outbreak of the Horus Heresy, so many of them will be quite different from their 40th millenia counterparts. Have fun, and by all means comments and feedback on the ideas presented are welcome.

Aenir
10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
1. Legion I: Dark Angels

Chapter Tactics: Lion'el is a secretive individual, and a strategist without peer, he drills both the Legion from Terra and his own Caliban marines without rest, therefore all Dark Angels benefit from Strategic Planning and Drill Preparedness.
Strategic planning bestows the ability to redeploy half of your army units (rounded down) after your opponent's deployment, but before scouts and infiltrators. This deployment is still subject to the deployment rules that you have rolled.
Drill Preparedness: The Dark Angels are a very diciplined chapter, and when combined with the relentless drilling of the Primarch this equals extremely accurate fire when at distances comparable to a firing range, or early in a battle. This is shown by giving Dark Angel players the option to twin link their weapons on their first turn. However due to completely focusing in during their targeting rituals, during the next Dark Angel turn, all weapons fire at minus one (1) to their Ballistic skill.

I think this emphasizes the feeling of the Primarch as a strategist without peer. It also fits in with the idea that you can start out well, but even the best plans can be wrecked when in a battle.

fuzzbuket
10-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Emperors children legio III

fulgrims legion was a full 30 companies at the heresy much larger than any other legion.
Before battle the EC player may take 1 of the following for every 500pts
10-man assault marines (no upgrades)
5-man assault marines (2 plasma pistols, 1 power fist)
10-man tactical squad (bolters only)
5- man tactical squad (meltagun, powerfist)
10+5 -man scout squad (no upgrades)
10 man sniper scout squad (snipers+missle launcher)

due to fulgrims perfectionistic nature IF ANY model/ squad fails a moral/Ld test they suffer d3 wounds no saves (this rule does not apply to HQ .) This rule is to exemplify why the EC fell to pride and a shamed member seeking solace in death!

thanks for reading

Fuzzbuket:D

GreenMarines
10-02-2009, 01:01 AM
1. Legion I: Dark Angels

I like the idea of Strategic Planning from Aenir but I would say one special rule is enough.

Lord Sandwich
10-02-2009, 01:20 AM

The Iron Warriors are siege masters without peer, able to turn the tide of a battle while assaulting bastions or defending them. All Iron Warriors units in the army benefit from the Tank Hunters Universal Special Rule.

Simple, straightforward. Doesn't really need that much of an explanation.

Legion X: Iron Hands

The Iron Hands have a unique affinity with the Omnissiah, one unparalleled by any other Legion, in addition to their extensive bionic works. All vehicles in an Iron Hands army benefit from the Power of the Machine Spirit special rule. In addition, all Independent Characters and squad Sergeants in the army benefit from the Feel No Pain Universal Special Rule.

Well, I thought a long time about this one. I liked the idea that folks on the Bolter and Chainsword had cooked up to have PotMS on all vehicles, but in this instance I didn't want to harp on their game too much. So instead of the Terminator sergeants, I gave their "leaders" FnP to represent the bionic enhancements.

Legion XVII: Word Bearers

The Word Bearers are the most zealous of all Legions, spreading the Imperial Creed (or the will of Chaos) with the utmost fervor. All units in the Word Bearers army benefit from the Pious special rule.

Pious: Units with this special rule may Fall Back towards your opponent's table edge.

This one was tricky as well. I wanted something that reflected the nature of the Word Bearers' zealotry without copying Righteous Zeal from the BT Codex. As such this special rule allows them to advance even in the face of certain death, but doesn't force them to: something I find pretty fluffy.

Randomuser
10-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Chapter Tactics: Iron warriors becomed mored and more a siege and garrison legion, therefore all Iron warriors benefit from the "use cover" universal special rule as long they stay in a fortification* typ of terrain.

*Im from germany an not 100% percent sure about all translations, I mean there the cover which grants a 3+ cover save.

explanation: well the task was to find a rule which ist equal in worth agianst the "fail morale check if you like to" original rule and to reward players to play the legion as intended/in their way of warfare.
(For exampel to space drop massproduced fortificatiosn from the orbit, or building it in record time)
Which mean they are commen with alle imperial forivications and can use them with maximum effects, through diziplin an knowlege of their warfare.

This rule encourages the player also to actualy build such terrain.

As the 5th Editon ist all about objectives Iron Warriors had to relay on fast but dangerous counter attacks to claim them and the opponet had to bring more special equipment or he will be forced to desperate meele attacks or go play on draw. which is quite common if you look at sieges in history.

Legion XV: Thousand Sons

Chapter Tactics: The Thousandson tap dangerously deep into the arcan arts. All sergants are psioiker and choose one (1) following Psi power as wargear: [fore punch**, Psi shild, Mashien curse]

[**lousy translation for these power fore punch teh S4 Ap2 Storm 4 thing]

Explenation: well more felxibilty for a legion which goes clearly for eternal change :D
Well these psi powers are alternitivs the common combimelters/flammers and so on, as they use the shooting attack of the model or giving a mild invudebal save if you cant benefit from cover.
And your opponent will hate it to get mashine cursed every round, He will starts to yell "burn witch" not later than the third turn because you anoyed the **** out of him :D

Tacoo
10-02-2009, 06:57 AM
XX Alpha Legion
Alpha Legion are masters of secrecy and infiltration, and as such benefit from the following abilitys. When any HQ choice dies, once per game, you may select one model in your army, and that model Is now you commander that just died. when you do this the HQ that replaced it is equiped exactly as the model it replaced.
AND/OR
once per game, you may select one unit yourb oppone controls, you gain control of that unit and your opponent gains another squad in reserves that is a exact copy of that unit. this may not be done to any indepent characters.

Kloud
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Legion X - Iron Hands

Upon joining the Iron Handa, Initiates cut off ther own left hand as a sign of loyalty. Their hand is then replaced by a bionic one. The new bionic hand while not as powerfull as a blessed Powerfist, is still considerably stronger than flesh. The bionic hand is just the begining as the Iron Hand warrior gradually replaces each of his weak piecies of flesh for Iron.

To represent this, all models with the "Combat Tactics" Special Rule may exchange it for "The Flesh is Weak" All models with this rule have +1 added to their Strength, however this does not appy to models equiped with Powerfists. In addition Each model has the "Relentless" USR.

Notes from me.

Iron Hand Staken get's a hell of a bonus from his bionics, why not the actual Iron Hands?

Also Sgt Harker is Relentless with a Hvy Bolter. I have always felt that Marines should have no problem firing a Hvy Bolter on the move eithwr.

The Dreadnought is the best it can possibly get for any Iron Hand Warrior. To represent that, A special character Dreadnought would be extremly appropriate in an Iron Hand Army.

And way out in left field.

I read the "Mechanicum" book of the Horus Hearesy not to long ago, and I was thinkin that if the Iron Hands were to get their own codex, and I could write it. To represent their close ties to Mars. They would be able to include a Knight. A Knight would be a fast walker with the Armour and Firepower comparable to a Land Raider. it's close cobat Weapon would be Strength 10 with 2D6 armour pen, and would automaticly Stun any vehicle it hit. and ignore saves of any kind.

Craz
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Legion 3: Emperor's Children: Pride. All Tactical and Sternguard squads receive an extra close combat weapon. In addition, if in combat with an independent character, all models in base contact must divert their attacks towards the IC.

Legion 4: Iron Warriors: I'm going to agree with a previous poster. Tank Hunters seems right for them.

Legion 5: White Scars: Let them keep Outflank

Legion 6: Space Wolves: Let them stick with their own book. heh.

Legion 7: Imperial Fists: Stubborn, still, I think.

Legion 8: Night Lords: Move through Cover, to represent their movements through the shadows. In addition, for the first turn, it is played under the Night Fight rules.

Legion 9: Blood Angels: Assault Marines become troops.

Legion 10: Iron Hands: A weaker FNP save.

Legion 12: World Eaters: Tactical Squads replace bolters with CCW or Furious Charge.

Legion 13: Ultramarines: They get to keep combat tactics. Easy.

Legion 14: Death Guard: Bolter Drill or Stubborn, to represent Mortarion's tactics/firing style.

Legion 15: Thousand Sons: Sorcerors. All Librarians get one more wound, intiative, and attack. In addition, all Thousand Sons receive a 5/6+ invul.

Legion 16: Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus: Unsure on this one...

Legion 17: Word Bearers. Fearless and all Chaplains get one more wound, initiative, and attack.

Legion 18: Salamanders: Maybe stick with the one in the C:SM? *ducks*

Legion 19: Raven Guard: Fleet, possibly. It works with them.

Legion 20: Alpha Legion: Infiltrate. Which squads could do this would have to be limited, but I like the thought.

MasterGideon
10-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I have 2 ideas for the Dark Angels, As per there lore they are both excellent in preparing for battle and have access to ancient and forgotten weapons so here my 2 cents.

No Surrender, No retreat.

Replaces Combat tactics with stubborn, In addition the Dark Angel player can choose to play one extra turn after rolling to see if the game ends after turn 5/6 or 7.

Master of Ancients Weapons

Replaces combatc tactics, All Plasma Based weapons no longer suffer from "Gets Hot", In addiation Dark Angel Tactical Squads may instead of taking a Heavy Weapon can take a additional Plasma Gun at the points listed.

MasterGideon

Herald of Nurgle
10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
(I had to repost this as DISQUS blitzed on me on the blog. Meh, whutever. You can find Night Lords, Alpha Legion, and Dark Angels there already)

Iron Warriors:
All gain the 'Entrenched' special rule. In addition, 1-3 Vindicators/Whirlwinds may be taken per Heavy Support Choice. In Apocalypse, the Iron Warriors will gain a single Orbital Bombardment for free.
Entrenched: The Iron Warriors player gains d6 Barricades at the start of any game, which must be placed after deployment but before the first turn is made. In addition, all units will gain a 5+ Cover Save during the first game turn.

Imperial Fists:
All gain the Stubborn and Stealth special rules. In addition, 1-3 Thunderfire Cannons may be taken per Heavy Support Choice, and 1-3 Dreadnoughts may be taken per Elites choice. In Apocalypse, the Imperial Fists will gain Bunkers for free.

World Eaters:
All gain the Furious Charge, Kill Them All! and Rage special rules though they will ignore Vehicles are not Open Topped for this. In addition, all models must replace their Bolters with a Khornate Chainaxe.
Khornate Chainaxe: This is a CCW which will also remove 1 from any armour save that the opponent takes in close combat against a World Eaters unit - e.g. if a 3 is rolled, it becomes a 2 and so on.
Kill Them All!: The World Eaters will gain +d3 Kill Points or +1 Objective if, by the end of the sixth game turn (at max), they have wiped out 75% of the opponent's army.

Word Bearers:
All models in the army will gain the Demagogue special rule. In addition, Sergeants will automatically gain Locator Beacons for free, and Summoned Lesser Daemons may be taken in the army.
Demagogue: Enemy Units with line of sight to a Word Bearers unit will suffer from -1 Ld (note that this extends to rules such as Mob Rule - +1 Ork is required for Fearless etc). If a Word Bearers HQ or Named Character is within Line of Sight of a friendly unit, that unit will gain +1 Ld.

Thousand Sons:
All models in a Thousand Sons army will count their weapons as -1 AP - for example, Heavy Bolters become AP 3, Bolters AP 4 - and will also gain the Slow and Purposeful special rule. In addition, all Sergeants will have access to the 'Minor Psychic Powers' described below, and all HQ choices will automatically be Psykers which have access to the 'Major Psychic Powers' also described below.
Minor Psychic Powers: A model with access to these powers may select a single power at the beginning of the game before deployment. This does not cost any additional points. A single power may be used per turn unless otherwise noted. Powers: Doombolt, Warptime, Avenger, Force Weapon.
Major Psychic Powers: A model with access to these powers may select up to 3 powers at the beginning of the game before deployment. This costs +30pts for that model unless noted. Up to 2 powers may be used per turn unless otherwise noted. Powers: All SM powers, All CSM powers (except Nurgle's Rot and Lash of Submission).

Bigred
10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I just love the Thunderfire cannon, and could see then used in the Heresy era as a artillery battery of 1-3 manned by a techmarine and servitors. It just seems cool, but I'm uncertain if they should be generic, or assigned to some individual Legion.

fuzzbuket
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
What dex is being used or is it both
if just C:SM make it like so
Dark Angels: abe to take more plas+ mortis dreads (plas vets)
Emperor's Children:vets with powersword+ storm sheild funky rules cheaper tactical squads
Iron Warriors: some ig tanks 4 heavy support, thunderfire (seige vets)
White Scars: uberbike vets?
Space Wolves: own dex
Imperial Fists: venerable dred upgrade (powerfist vets)
Night lords: raptors, infiltrate (jumpy claw vets
Blood Angels:baal pred, furiso , (jumpy sword vets
Iron Hands: bionics thunderfire, mini knight (techmarine vets
World Eaters: bezerkers, furiso dreads, free drop pods
Ultramarines: extra CCW (gladius) bolter ammo (uber stern guard)
Death Guard: poison weapons, poison dread(poison vets)
Thousand Sons: lots of psykers
Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves: wolves dex
Word Bearers: chaplins fanatics cults (chaplin vets)
Salamanders: better flamers, Flame dread. (fire vets)
Raven Guard: lots of drop pods+jump packs (wing vets)
Alpha Legion: infiltrate (sneeky vets)

my ideas i know chapter tactics changes the way a army plays but a shiny unit makes it look diffrent as well:D

fuzzbuket

Herald of Nurgle
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Legion V - White Scars
All Bikers in the army will gain the Skilled Rider and Hit and Run special rules, and may be taken as Troop Choices. Sternguard Veteran squads may be mounted in Bikes for +12pts per model - their Bikes will benefit from the special ammunition. Devastator Squads may be mounted in Attack Bikes for +15pts per PAIR of models (combining to make a 42pts basic figure with Heavy Bolter).

Legion XIV - Death Guard
All units gain the 'Dogged Determination' special rule. A Maximum of 0-2 squads per type in the Force Organisation chart may be mounted in vehicles (for example, 2 troops, 2 elites etc). Death Guard Terminators also gain the Heroic Intervention special rule.
Dogged Determination: Units with this rule may choose to become Slow and Purposeful in any turn - in this case, they will gain Feel No Pain and Stealth during the opposing player's turn. Tactical Squads must, however, spend +5pts to purchase any Heavy Weapons.

Legion IX - Blood Angels
All units gain Stubborn and Preferred Enemy (Opponent Army). In addition, Vanguard Veterans become an Elites choice, Assault Marines become a Troops choice, and Sternguard Veterans may be purchased as a retinue instead of a normal Command Squad. Characters from the Blood Angels codex may be used in Codex: Space Marines.
In addition to these, a new unit is introduced - Death Company. Use the stat line in the Blood Angels codex, but each Death Company will be purchased for +20pts per model. There is no limit to the size this Death Company may have excluding that the number of models may not exceed DOUBLE the total Kill Points available in the army. Death Company count as a single Fast Attack choice, but do not give any Kill Points when killed.

Legion X - Iron Hands
All Iron Hands gain the Bionics special rule. Masters of the Forge may be given a Command Squad, and two of them may be purchased for each HQ choice.
Bionics: Models with this special rule are 'placed on their side' when killed. At the end of that Game Turn, however, the controlling player may roll a d6 for each model on the side (roll separately, of course). On a 6, that model is returned to play with a single wound.

tylermenz
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I have two that i thought of

First up,
World Eaters - 12th legion:
"Under the tutolege of thier primarch, Angron, the 12th legion has mastered the art of close combat and given butchery a whole new meaning. Once they were called Eaters of Cities, but no more...Now they are Eaters of Worlds.

All space marines of the Twelfth legion suffer from the berserker implants given to them by angron. All space marines in the army have the Rage and Furious Charge universal rules. Any Squad equipped with jump packs may Thunderhawk Assualt.

Thunderhawk Assualt
Instead of using Drop pod assualts, the members of the twelfth legion prefer to ride into battle in Thunderhawk gunships, Jumping into combat as the pilot sweeps low to the ground. Any squad equipped with jump packs may choose to thunderhawk assualt for 50 pts per squad. If they Choose to Thunderhawk Assualt, they deploy as per the deepstrike rules with the following exceptions. On the turn they come into play they may fleet(as the universal rule) instead of shooting as long as thy end nearer to thier closest enemy. Also The squad will be able to assualt on the turn they come into play.

Next up is the Dark Angels Caliban Style.
This uses the horus Heresy book Fallen Angels for reference, so if you have not read it you may be confused.

****Spoiler Alert*****

Do Not read if you have not yet read Fallen Angels and Plan to do so
I will try to keep as much hidden as possible while still having a decent explanation

You have been Warned

Dark Angels Calibanite Rengades: The 1st Legion
"Once a devout follower of Lion'el Johson,The exiled Sar Luther, the master of Caliban, has foresaken his Oaths to the primarch and the emperor. Using Horus Lupercal's betrayal to buy time, he has taken control over caliban and imprisioned the Terrans of the Imperium. He now looks to sorcery and the chaos powers to help him prepare his world for the attacks that will surely come.

The Dark Angels of Caliban of opened the way of treachery and heresy. Sar Luther and Cypher as well as others have openly renounced the Emperor and have sought knowledge in forbidden books and Tomes about the Warp. Luther plans on using his control over the warp and deamons to fight off the emperor's troops when they come. Any Calibanite Renegade Army may include 2 Librarians as a single HQ choice. They may not have the same power combinations or wargear combinations. The warriors of Caliban contain only those Dark angels that were exiled there over 200 years ago when Caliban was newly discovered, and new recruits. To represent this any "veteran" squad is an 0-1 choice in the army.

I am not sure what the current SM veteran squads are called, but i thnk they are sterngaurd?

End of Spoiler

Tylermenz

Herald of Nurgle
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Legion VIII - Night Lords
All units gain the Stealth, Move Through Cover, and Outflank! special rules. In addition, Command Squads or Honor Guard may purchase Jump Packs for +5pts per model, and all Assault Marines become a Troops choice. Finally, all models with Jump Packs gain the 'Terror Tactics', 'Swooping Slice', and 'Raptor Talons' special rules.
Terror Tactics: Enemy Units engaged in close combat with models with this special rule will take a -1 Leadership modifier - this is -1 for each such unit. However, this comes at a price - always use the lowest leadership in a 'Terror Tactics' squad for leadership checks.
Swooping Slice: Units with this special rule gain +d3 attacks on the charge instead of the usual +1, and will also gain +1 WS on that turn as well.
Raptor Talons: If a unit with this special rule ends its turn on a piece of Difficult Terrain, they will not take Dangerous Terrain tests - unless it actually does happen to be Dangerous. In addition, Impassable Terrain will count as only Dangerous.

Archon
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I think the challenge is not to squeeze all Legion-Special-Rules into one chapter tactic. Therefor I try to keep it simple.

They are usually described as stubborn or fearless. The Plasma-Thing is overrated, i think.
I PH they are seperated in the lion-part and the caliban part.

If you take Nemiel (an early chaplain) as HQ choice all chapter tactics are replaced by the following special rules. All DA are stubborn (i assume, that terminators are fearless already) and all Elite and Fast-Attack choices are subject to the Liturgies of Battle-Special Rule - as described in codex: sm

Perfectionsism. Arroganz. Early Noise Weapons.

If you take Eidolon as a HQ choice all chapter tactics are replaced by the following special rules. Arrogance: EC led by Eidolon will not use the "gone to ground" rule. In close combat, the EC count as having KG +1 in the first round of combat. All Vet. Sgt. are able to buy a doom siren for 15 pts.

As we all know, these are the siege-guys. What do we need for a siege? +1 on penetration-rolls for bunkers? thats fine, but not so useful in normal 40 K games. How about stubborn, fortifications and heavy artillery?

If you take Forrix as a HQ choice all chapter tactics are replaced by Siegemasters. All IW became stubborn (i assume, that terminators are fearless already), all weapons with a strength above 8 are subject to the usr tank hunters and in additon you benefit from the "bolster defense" special rule as discribed in the codex: sm.

Kungfuhustler
10-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Chapter XIII: Night Lords

Konrad Kurtz, 325 points
WS 7, BS 4, S-5, T-5, I-5 , A-3, W-4, Ld 10, 2+/5+
Feathered cloak (counts as Jump Pack), Lightning Claws, artificer armor, 5+ invulnerable save due to primarch status or somthing, eternal warrior

Chapter Tactics: The Night Lords are renowned for their sudden strikes, assaulting their foes by surprise and receding from combat as fast as they strike, leaving their foes terrorized. All Night Lords may exchange combat tactics for the "Scout" and "Hit and run" Universal Special Rules and, in addition, all units take -1 in leadership tests incurred by close combat against the night lords.

-------------------------------

I'm testing this out tonight. If this was not a pre-heresy nightlords setup these abilities, in my opinion, would probably be over-powered as all-get-out, but, due to the decreased combat effectiveness of space marines vs. CSM I think that these USR's will prove to be not so imbalanced.

Whuddya think?

Warboss Spleenstabba
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Legion 19: Raven Guard the 1st chapter that get's the least ammount of love (They don't have an emblem in the drop pod kit even though that's like their thing, or anything in forgeworld, I mean they don't even have their own decal on the transfer sheet and everyone else does). So I hope they get some love here. I think they should stick with the fleet special rule, but add hit and run because as Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike said: "From the darkness we strike, fast and lethal, and BEFORE OUR ENEMIES CAN REACT, darkness there and nothing more. And since they are more adept with drop pods than any other chapter I think they shouldn't have to roll to scatter with deppstriking.

Legion 17: Word Bearers I really like the pious and demagogue ideas of the previous poster and the one about having better chaplains and able to summon daemons, but I'm going to add one more I think they should be able to take some sort of fanatical cultists as well.

Herald of Nurgle
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Legion 17: Word Bearers I really like the pious and demagogue ideas of the previous poster and the one about having better chaplains and able to summon daemons, but I'm going to add one more I think they should be able to take some sort of fanatical cultists as well.
Thankfully BoLS has already thought of these fanatics...

Look at the Crusade of Faith (I think? years since I looked) apoc formation in the Age of Heresy book. I think that Word Bearers should gain this as a Troops choice.

jester_prince
10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Legion XX: Alpha Legion

Alpharius may start off the table as if in reserve and counts as a HQ choice.
Before the game starts the alpha legion player may select one Tactical Squad Seargent and make a note on a piece of paper, fold it up and put it to one side without the enemy player seeing.

During the game at any point the Alpha legion player may choose to reveal the peice of paper revealing the seargent to be alpharius! Swap the seargent model with Alpharius and for the remainder of the game you have to use alpharius stat line. The seargent is counted as being destroyed. Alpharius may choose to leave the Tactical squad in his next movment phase.

^^
I wreaken this could be great fun as you turn to the player and say AHHA! That lowly tac squad you just assaulted was a trap, suck no alphariuses boot!

I added the peice of paper rule to help prevent cheating and *** hattery.

Pacific
10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey guys!

First of all, just to say thanks to BoLS for their original Pre-Heresy pack!

I've been playing Pre-heresy World Eaters for a year or so now (my army is here: http://www.eatersofworlds.blogspot.com/). I've found the original BoLS recommendation, of using the Blood Angel codex, represents a latter great crusade/pre-heresy force perfectly: Berserkers counts as Death Company, assault units as a troops choice, and its easy to use characters such as Dante/Lemartes as 'counts as' World Eater special characters.

I've also written an article on this very subject if you're interested in reading: http://eatersofworlds.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-represent-pre-heresy-world.html

So thats one suggestion!

My other would be the rules that the Tempus Fugitives used for their AoTE weekend in Nottingham just gone which I was lucky enough to attend, and the rules fitted pretty well: If your army is led by Angron/Kharn, everyone has rage and +1 WS. They can also swap their bolter for CCW and bolt pistol. (this replaces the standard marine special rule).

There were a number of special characters which they had fabricated (given that there have been relatively few characters noted in the books), such as berserker dreadnought Bale.

I think the important thing is distinguishing how 'pre-heresy' the force is - the World Eaters changed a massive amount from the end of the Great Crusade to the beginning of the Heresy, mostly down to Angron taking control of the legion. I like to think that they weren't all frothing berserkers until the assault on the Imperial Palace, right at the end of the Heresy (we know it is at this point that their armour is red, and they have bunny ears - from the cover of Tales of Heresy).

Just some thoughts! :)

crazyzombie
10-02-2009, 04:33 PM
We shall not falter! An army that includes Horus will gain this ability. All Sons of Horus models are under the affects of fearless, they are much to proud to fall back! In addition after a Sons of Horus infantry unit completely destroys another enemy unit that Sons of Horus unit gains the following universal speical rule counter attack, fleet, feel no pain ,their determination driving them ever forward.

Herald of Nurgle
10-03-2009, 12:53 PM
(Edited to include all 18 legions)

Pre-Heresy codex changes
- All Assault Cannons are replaced with Reaper Autocannons for no additional cost.
- Jump Packs units in legions other than Raven Guard and Night Lords are capped at 3.
- Plasma Cannons will overheat on a 1 or 2 due to the unstable new technology.
- Dreadnoughts (all types) will automatically replace their Multi Meltas with a single Lascannon. The Multi Melta becomes an option at +5pts.
- Before Week 4 of the campaign, Terminator Armour is restricted to 2 units in an army. In addition, Terminator squads and Terminator Assault squads become 3-5 per unit until Week 4 unless noted.

Legion I - Dark Angels
The Dark Angels were always the nobility of the Legions - bearing more suits of Terminator armour than any other.
All members of the army may replace the 'Combat Tactics' special rule with the Stubborn special rule. In addition, all Terminators become Fearless, and Bikers will gain Locator Beacons centered in the Sergeant's bike. Note: Terminators are not affected by No Retreat and are unaffected by the wargear changes above.

Legion III - Emperor's Children
The Emperor's Children are the pride of the Imperium, and are likely the most arrogant of them all. Their Primarch Fulgrim is young, and expects all his geno-children to achieve their objectives in record timing.
All members of the army may replace the 'Combat Tactics' special rule with Fleet and Furious Charge. This Furious Charge will only give +1 I - there is no S bonus. In addition, all units gain +1 Ld (up to a maximum of 10)

Legion IV - Iron Warriors:
While the Imperial Fists are perfectionists at Fortress design, it is the Iron Warriors who are the more skilled at tearing them down. Were it not for this, the Iron Warriors would likely have never achieved such prestige as siegemasters without compare.
All gain the 'Entrenched' special rule. In addition, 1-3 Vindicators/Whirlwinds may be taken per Heavy Support Choice. In Apocalypse, the Iron Warriors will gain a single Orbital Bombardment for free.
Entrenched: The Iron Warriors player gains d6 Barricades at the start of any game, which must be placed after deployment but before the first turn is made. In addition, all units will gain a 5+ Cover Save during the first game turn.

Legion V - White Scars
The core teaching of the Khan is that speed mixed with power can and will achieve any goals - this is why the White Scars are the only legion to lead thousands of bikers across the field at any one time.
All Bikers in the army will gain the Skilled Rider and Hit and Run special rules, and may be taken as Troop Choices. Sternguard Veteran squads may be mounted in Bikes for +12pts per model - their Bikes will benefit from the special ammunition. Devastator Squads may be mounted in Attack Bikes for +15pts per PAIR of models (combining to make a 42pts basic figure with Heavy Bolter).

Legion VI – Space Wolves
The Death World of Fenris is amongst the most savage within the Imperium, and this shows in the tough warriors it raises. The Wolftime is always smiling on this legion.
Space Wolves will always use the Space Wolves codex. If you do not own this, then simply use the following changes: All models gain a Close Combat Weapon, as well as the Counter Attack and Acute Senses special rules. However, they will lose Combat Tactics.

Legion VII - Imperial Fists:
Known and honored across the Imperium for being the most capable defenders, it was no surprise that the Fists of Dorn were tasked with the defence of Terra. The grace of the Emperor is apparent in every step they take.
All gain the Stubborn and Stealth special rules. In addition, 1-3 Thunderfire Cannons may be taken per Heavy Support Choice, and 1-3 Dreadnoughts may be taken per Elites choice. In Apocalypse, the Imperial Fists will gain Bunkers for free.

Legion VIII - Night Lords
If the White Scars are about speed and strength, the Night Lords are only about Strength. These are the masters of the Jump Pack, and many foes dread the idea of the Night Lords stepping foot on their worlds.
All units gain the Stealth, Move Through Cover, and Outflank! special rules. In addition, Command Squads or Honor Guard may purchase Jump Packs for +5pts per model, and all Assault Marines become a Troops choice. Finally, all models with Jump Packs gain the 'Terror Tactics', 'Swooping Slice', and 'Raptor Talons' special rules.
Terror Tactics: Enemy Units engaged in close combat with models with this special rule will take a -1 Leadership modifier - this is -1 for each such unit. However, this comes at a price - always use the lowest leadership in a 'Terror Tactics' squad for leadership checks.
Swooping Slice: Units with this special rule gain +d3 attacks on the charge instead of the usual +1, and will also gain +1 WS on that turn as well.
Raptor Talons: If a unit with this special rule ends its turn on a piece of Difficult Terrain, they will not take Dangerous Terrain tests - unless it actually does happen to be Dangerous. In addition, Impassable Terrain will count as only Dangerous.

Legion IX - Blood Angels
The Blood Angels are the legion which pair noble war with un-deniable strength, and are zealous to the extreme in the presence of their Primarch Sanguinius. It is said that they often fall upon the opponent in incredible rage should their father fall.
All units gain Stubborn and Preferred Enemy (Opponent Army). In addition, Vanguard Veterans become an Elites choice, Assault Marines become a Troops choice, and Sternguard Veterans may be purchased as a retinue instead of a normal Command Squad. Characters from the Blood Angels codex may be used in Codex: Space Marines.
In addition to these, a new unit is introduced - Death Company. Use the stat line in the Blood Angels codex, but each Death Company will be purchased for +20pts per model. There is no limit to the size this Death Company may have excluding that the number of models may not exceed DOUBLE the total Kill Points available in the army. Death Company count as a single Fast Attack choice, but do not give any Kill Points when killed.

Legion X - Iron Hands
The planet of Medusa is cold and harsh, and it requires a special breed of followers to overcome. Much like their father Ferrus Manus, the Iron Hands strive to improve upon the Emperor's grand designs, and remove all weakness from their bodies.
All Iron Hands gain the Bionics special rule. Masters of the Forge may be given a Command Squad, and two of them may be purchased for each HQ choice. In addition, vehicles used by the Iron Hands gain the 'Fast' template in addition to other effects.
Bionics: Models with this special rule are 'placed on their side' when killed. At the end of that Game Turn, however, the controlling player may roll a d6 for each model on the side (roll separately, of course). On a 6, that model is returned to play with a single wound.

Legion XII - World Eaters
Angron and his World Eaters are a force truly to be feared, for once battle is joined... it is unlikely to ever end should these baleful warriors become involved. They have no fear... all they have is a frenzy.
All gain the Furious Charge, Kill Them All! and Rage special rules though they will ignore Vehicles are not Open Topped for this. In addition, all models must replace their Bolters with a Khornate Chainaxe.
Khornate Chainaxe: This is a CCW which will also remove 1 from any armour save that the opponent takes in close combat against a World Eaters unit - e.g. if a 3 is rolled, it becomes a 2 and so on.
Kill Them All!: The World Eaters will gain +d3 Kill Points or +1 Objective if, by the end of the sixth game turn (at max), they have wiped out 75% of the opponent's army.

Legion XIII - Ultramarines
The Ultramarines are a proud people who are renowned for the way they undertake warfare. It was truly fortunate for the Imperium that they escaped the majority of the Heresy unharmed.
Units of Ultramarines do not fall back - if they fail a morale check of any kind, you may choose to allow them to simply Go To Ground. Ultramarine units may move and fire Boltguns. In addition, Ultramarines may have an additional 5 models in their units than listed in the standard Army List.

Legion XIV - Death Guard
To the sons of Mortarion, war is all about attrition - and being able to recover from your casualties far better than your opponent. It is no surprise that they eschew vehicles and rely upon the humble infantryman, for each Guardsman can survive far more than the standard Astartes.
All units gain the 'Dogged Determination' special rule. A Maximum of 0-2 squads per type in the Force Organisation chart may be mounted in vehicles (for example, 2 troops, 2 elites etc). Death Guard Terminators also gain the Heroic Intervention special rule.
Dogged Determination: Units with this rule may choose to become Slow and Purposeful in any turn - in this case, they will gain Feel No Pain and Stealth during the opposing player's turn. Tactical Squads must, however, spend +5pts to purchase any Heavy Weapons.

Legion XV - Thousand Sons:
While the other legions were out conquering in the name of the Emperor, the Thousand Sons studied the warp and learned its secrets. From this, all it's members are at least slightly endowed with psychic power.
All models in a Thousand Sons army will count their weapons as -1 AP - for example, Heavy Bolters become AP 3, Bolters AP 4 - and will also gain the Slow and Purposeful special rule. In addition, all Sergeants will have access to the 'Minor Psychic Powers' described below, and all HQ choices will automatically be Psykers which have access to the 'Major Psychic Powers' also described below.
Minor Psychic Powers: A model with access to these powers may select a single power at the beginning of the game before deployment. This does not cost any additional points. A single power may be used per turn unless otherwise noted. Powers: Doombolt, Warptime, Avenger, Force Weapon.
Major Psychic Powers: A model with access to these powers may select up to 3 powers at the beginning of the game before deployment. This costs +30pts for that model unless noted. Up to 2 powers may be used per turn unless otherwise noted. Powers: All SM powers, All CSM powers (except Nurgle's Rot and Lash of Submission).

Legion XVI - Sons of Horus
Horus, the Warmaster. Horus, the Chosen. Horus, the Emperor's Champion. Where he and his legion walks, no foe can stand. A brilliant tactician and an even better diplomat, it is no surprise that his legion has reaped the highest number of worlds for the Imperium.
All units will gain Fearless when joined by a character, and may take Marks of Chaos. If a character dies within line of sight of a Sons of Horus unit, that unit will gain Preferred Enemy and Rage against the unit which killed them.
If a member of the Mournival (or Horus) is defeated, place them as a special objective - if claimed, the opponent counts as scoring one less objective and if UNclaimed the opponent will claim an additional objective.

Legion XVII - Word Bearers
Of all the legions, the Word Bearers dedicated themselves further to the Emperor than any other... being responsible for the foundation of the Imperial Church, and also the ones who began the whole Heresy.
All models in the army will gain the Demagogue special rule. In addition, Sergeants will automatically gain Locator Beacons for free, and Summoned Lesser Daemons may be taken in the army.
Demagogue: Enemy Units with line of sight to a Word Bearers unit will suffer from -1 Ld (note that this extends to rules such as Mob Rule - +1 Ork is required for Fearless etc). If a Word Bearers HQ or Named Character is within Line of Sight of a friendly unit, that unit will gain +1 Ld.

Legion XVIII - Salamanders
The sons of Nocturne are true daemons in war - destroying all with fire and flame to enter the Flames of War! Each is a skilled craftsman who is expected to maintain his own weaponry, and it was this legion which created the majority of the STC variants today.
All Flamers, Meltaguns, Heavy Flamers, Multi-Meltas, and Redeemer Cannons will count as Twin Linked. Salamanders may take Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields on regular Sergeants - these will cost +20pts each.
In addition, close combat weaponry may become Master Crafted for +10pts each piece.

Legion XIX – Raven Guard
The Raven Guard have one main oath - to strike from the shadows, and take a grim tally before they fall. Being decimated in the Isstvaan Massacres meant that Corax, their Primarch, had to start his legion back from scratch... creating 100 failures for each success. Even his successful creations carry a damned rage within...
Units in the Raven Guard army cost +1 pt, and gain the ‘Enhanced Warriors’ special rule from C: CSM. In addition, Heavy Support, Elites, and Fast Attack choices are capped to a total of 7.

Legion XX - Alpha Legion
Last of the legions to be reunited with their Primarch, the Alpha Legion pioneered the inclusion of stealth and infiltration within the Astartes and though their planet conquests were relatively low, they certainly were the most cunning.
Legion Tactics: All members of the army may replace the 'Combat Tactics' special rule with the Infiltrate, Stealth, and Acute Senses special rules. In addition, the Alpha Legion may re-roll their dice when seeing who will go first and/or pick their deployment zone.

Oldgrue
10-03-2009, 05:31 PM
The Lion's Example: Resolute is an understatement for the will of the Dark Angels. The expectations of their vows and the influence of their brothers brook no excuses and tolerate no failure. Space Marines equipped with Heavy Bolters, or Missile Launchers gain the Relentless special rule. Furthermore Dark Angels Legions exchange And they shall know no fear for the Fearless special rule to represent their zeal and the support of their brethren.

"Only by imperfection can we fail.": The Emperor's Children focus on perfection in all things at any price. They are a legion of new recruits and battle hardened veterans with little middle ground. Emperor's Children Chapter Masters must take an honor guard squad with at least four members, and Space Marine Captains must take a Command Squad including a Company Champion or Company Standard. Emperor's Children forces must take one Sternguard Veteran Squad for every Space Marine Tactical Squad.

Iron Within, Iron Without: The Iron Warriors are pragmatists, preferring to let the enemy wear themselves out in a siege while relying on the heaviest firepower available. Iron Warriors exchange the And They Shall Know No fear special rule for Slow and Purposeful. Devastator Squads are scoring units and both a Heavy Support and Troops choice for Iron Warriors

Legion V: White Scars:
Strike and Fade: The White Scars are notorious for the application of superior mobility in their combat doctrine. White Scars exchange the Combat Tactics special rule for the Skilled Rider and Hit and Run. White Scars Assault Squads, Bike Squads, and Attack Bike Squads with more than one member are considered Troops choices but cannot take any selections from the Heavy Support section of the army list. Tactical Squads must take a dedicated transport.

Legion VIII: Night Lords
Make an Example of them: Night Lords are drawn from the most ruthless of candidates from a world of perpetual night. Murderers, thugs, and worse before their elevation to being a Space Marine has not diluted their cruel natures. Night Lords have Night Vision, and gain both Furious Charge and Preferred Enemy when assulting units, vehicles, or squadrons they outnumber. Night Lords lose And they shall know no fear and Sternguard Veteran squads. Vanguard Veteran squads are both an Elites and Fast attack choice for Night Lords forces. Night Lord forces must take at least one unit equipped with jump packs.

danneloftyr
10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Legion VII: Imperial Fists
Imperial Fists:
Combat Engineers - This replaces combat tactics. The skill is based on if they player goes first or second. If the player goes first he is on the offensive and his pre-attack barrage/maneuvers/sappers may weaken the cover save of 2 pieces of terrain by 1 or destroy 1 bunker. If the player goes second they may increase the cover save of 2 pieces of terrain by 1 to a max of a 3+ cover save.

Imperial fists were famous siege fighters on both the offensive or defensive. Eventually they were called to become the Emperor's praetorian guard. The Emperor had many stubborn Legions but fewer who specialized in creating and destroying fiendishly dangerous defensive positions.

Pacific
10-04-2009, 04:01 AM
(Edited to include all 18 legions)

Legion XII - World Eaters
Angron and his World Eaters are a force truly to be feared, for once battle is joined... it is unlikely to ever end should these baleful warriors become involved. They have no fear... all they have is a frenzy.

Surely you are not advocating a -1 save modifier in 5th edition?! Thats heresy! :p

I would say, a nice rule for chainaxe (as used in Tempus Fugitives, and seems well balanced):
1 in 4 marines allowed to use them, 10pts
give +1str and rending.

Bluesfart
10-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Legion III: Emperor's Children - can run and shoot

Legion VII: Imperial Fists - a free emperor's champion-like HQ character

Legion X: Iron Hands - all vehicles re-roll damage on the vehicle chart (no venerable dreads this early in history)

zanzibarthefirst
10-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Legion X: Iron Hands - veteran sergeants may swap all wargear with terminator armour, power weapon and a combi bolter for 25pts

Santar. Same stats and points. May take a command squad. INstead of rites of battle (as I imagine this will disappear all across the board) Santar gains Bolster defenses as per Master of the Forge

Marshal Wilhelm
11-12-2009, 04:52 AM
I would like to see the leaders for CF, Soul Drinkers & BT all represented.
The special wargear they have too.

Looking at Tempus Forum they gave IF Stubborn. Which is right. What I am thinking is did the Templar stuff grow after Sigismund took them on the eternal crusade or was that Templar culture already in the IF pre-heresy?

If so then just to give IF stubborn would only be representing IF chapter and not BT, who were just as much IF as IF were. Did IF have Neophytes and other "BT stuff" that only got weeded out when Roboute went on his power trip - "my opinion is the law, respect my authoriti!"

Also what is quintessentially Crimson Fist and Soul Drinkers that would have been just as Imperial Fist?

I know that you wanted my suggestions and not my questions but that is what I have got at the moment :)

Melissia
11-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Legions II and XI:

Army-wide ability: Fanboyisms

Force opponent to break down into endless speculation as to what really happened to these two legions. Opponent's models must re-roll all successful attacks, psychic powers, and run rolls because they are too distracted by the debate to properly fight. Any wargear or rules that would allow a re-roll (such as master-crafted weaponry) cancels this out and instead simply rolls as normal (no re-roll regardless of success).

vulkan_tu'shaun
12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
chapter master Tu'Shaun of the salamanders
Being born of fire in the depths of nocturne Tu'Shaun knows the ways of fire, the fuel needed to create it, and the destruction it can cause. takeing to the field in the terminator suit 'vulkans flame' or vulkans own ancient suit of artificer armour, with the drake scale cloke 'plotker'. he wields 'the hammer of prometheus' and the master crafted combi-flamer 'pyro' both of which he forged during his initiation to captain of the first company.
Vulkans flame is a suit of terminator armour that bestos the feel no pain special rule on vulkan.
Plotker was an ancient drake from the top of mount deathfire. the cloak bestos a 3+ invulnerable save.
His combi flamer is master crafted and is allowed to five as a heavy flame without running out. the thunder hammer is master crafted.
Tushaun has the rules fearless and immune to instant death.
Chapter traits are all thunder hammers are master crafted, all flamers, heavy flamers and flamestorm cannon, meltaguns and multi-meltas

vulkan_tu'shaun
12-24-2009, 11:21 AM
i use my ps3 to access the internet and cut me short.

all those weapons are twin linked.

TuShaun may be accompanied by an honour guard squad(normal assult termies for 200pts) in terminator armour with thunder hammers and storm shields (due to him also being captain of the first company) they all may have drake scale cloaks giving a 4+invulnerable save for 10pts each, upgrade one to company champion with dual thunder hammers (+1 to attacks) for 20pts, upgrade one to be chapter banner bearer with thunder hammer for 20pts.

i think thats fair oh and his stats are:
WS BS S T W I A LD Sv
6 5 5 4 4 4 4 10 2+

hes strength is 5 due to salamanders being stronger than other marines and inititve 4 because salamanders are slightly slower to other marines.

so this is my first post but let me know what you think. im trying to write a codex for them and get it approved by GW for the salamander players out there

Sol ba'ken
08-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Legion 18: Salamanders: Maybe stick with the one in the C:SM? *ducks*

how about dev and tactical squads can take hev flamers for 15 points and can chosse to use slow and perpusfull
hope these are ok