PDA

View Full Version : How to break the grey in my cityfightterrain?

Mikey87
08-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Hello all,

I’m currently working on a city of death modular terrain/table with amera buildings. I have basecoated the buildings dark grey and will drybrush them with a light grey. However to give them a bit more color I want to use a little bit of brown on some spots to give the buildings a more gritty dirty look. You see that a lot on warhammer city of death buildings and on custom build city of death terrain on forums. My question is how do I get that look?
Should I drybrush a little dark brown on top of the light grey drybrush, or should I paint the brown before the light grey drybrush? Or should I use washes?

I posted two pictures of two different buildings. I want to achieve those kind of effect. To get a little bit of color into the buildings in order to break the black/white/grey dullness. I also posted two pictures of my terrain (without the darkgrey basecoat).
Some people say that it is achieved to drybrush a little brown after the final light grey drybrush and others say the brown should be drybrushed before the final light grey drybrush.
Thanks!

Drakkan Vael
08-19-2012, 02:45 AM
As you can see in the exemplary pictures you posted, the effect was created by applying the brown colouring after the light grey drybrush (it covers the light grey).

To add more colour, remember that inhabited buildings are usually designed, painted and/or are having wallpapers and furniture inside. Most Cityfight tables lack interior details and colours but if you have a look at pictures from cities hit by real war, you'll notice those things everywhere. Albeit mostly covered in dust and debris.

It is not only stones, dust and steel. There is more to a building than that.

Black_cat
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice terrain :)

I'd add rubble, crates, disguarded weapons, bodies and ammo to add colour.

I have a terrain post over on my blog (http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/jungle-industrial-waste-terrain.html)

Here is an example of a crate that makes the terrain more realistic/detailed:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-t97wtJtH9f0/UC4JWzCBk8I/AAAAAAAAAik/IKux26o3Q3U/s400/terrain+details.jpg

Also, for your painting query, I'd paint dark gray, wash the details with black wash, dry brush a lighter gray, spot on some greens/browns (moss and muck) and finally really lightly dry brush a ligher gray.