PDA

View Full Version : Hellhound template

mercer
10-02-2009, 07:21 AM
For the Hellhound template, do you pre-measure 12" and place the template or guess and aim and if its in range then you can wound like normal shooting?

I would have though pre-measure 12" as its just extending the range of the template.

brominated
10-02-2009, 08:41 AM
I would say you have to guess to elect a target unit. Even though it is a template weapon and you can place it anywhere you like you still have to "target a unit" that will take the template. Once you measure range to the unit then you can place the template anywhere you like. I would also say that you have more than the 12 inches because a successful shot would also include any hits by the template so you really have about 20 inches since the template is 8 inches long. Just make sure that you include one hit on the unit you target and you should be fine.

Jwolf
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I nominate a target, then measure 12" and place the small end within 12" of the Hellhound and the large end further from the Hellhound. I think that's really the only logical reading of the rules for the weapon and The Shooting Phase.

Melissia
10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I nominate a target, then measure 12" and place the small end within 12" of the Hellhound and the large end further from the Hellhound. I think that's really the only logical reading of the rules for the weapon and The Shooting Phase.
+1

This is exactly how I interpreted it.

mercer
10-05-2009, 04:56 AM

Thats what I thought as the 12" is just extending the range of the template. It doesn't say place the template and then measure.

lobster-overlord
10-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Was it ever that the far end of the template also had to be within 12 inches? My friend who uses them plays it that way, that the max range of any part of the template is 12 inches.

JohN M>

Javin
10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
No, the rules read " Place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the large end is no closer to the weapons than the narrow end. The inferno cannon is then treated like any other template weapon." Page 50 under the Hellhound IG Codex.

You can start the burn anywhere from 0" to 12 " than place the template any way you like provided the large end no closer than the narrow end. The flamer template is 8" long so you have a potential 20" range.

Lord Azaghul
10-05-2009, 08:27 AM
No, the rules read " Place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the large end is no closer to the weapons than the narrow end. The inferno cannon is then treated like any other template weapon." Page 50 under the Hellhound IG Codex.

You can start the burn anywhere from 0" to 12 " than place the template any way you like provided the large end no closer than the narrow end. The flamer template is 8" long so you have a potential 20" range.

Agreed! It is fun to shoot around walls!

Jwolf
10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Was it ever that the far end of the template also had to be within 12 inches? My friend who uses them plays it that way, that the max range of any part of the template is 12 inches.

JohN M>

In the previous edition, the entire template had to be within 24". There is no such restriction in the current Codex.

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM
In the previous edition, the entire template had to be within 24". There is no such restriction in the current Codex.

Now, the entire template cannot physically be farther away than 20", so the restriction is even tighter, it just isnt written.

Jwolf
10-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Except you can move 6" further and fire it, so it works out pretty well.

BuFFo
10-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Except you can move 6" further and fire it, so it works out pretty well.

And with it being FAST, it rocks so hard now. I love the damned thing!