PDA

View Full Version : Blood Claw / Gray Hunter Weapon Loadouts

wittdooley
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
So...first:

1.) I can't decide on this...does anyone think it's worthwhile to take a Flamer with a Blood Claws unit. Sure, you'll lose an attack, but you could do some damage before you charge.

2.) Is anyone using Plasma Guns with the Grey Hunters. I like the idea of them being a nice shooting line with 2 Plasma guns, but can't decide because I'm so used to using melta.

Thanks!

Dooley

JQuest
10-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Last edition I loved the flamer in the squad. They're always going to be going into H2H so why not get a nice clump shot that auto hits with the BS3? I love the flamer w/ that squad, but I have ordered the new dex so haven't had a chance to look through it...

evilamericorp
10-03-2009, 08:13 AM
There is no reason to take any special weapon in a blood claw squad... BS3 would limit the effectiveness of meltas/plasmas at12", and the unit cannot shoot if it is within charge range, making flamers absolutely useless.

wittdooley
10-03-2009, 09:16 AM
I meant melta or plasma for Gray Hunters. Strictly flamers for the BCs

Kanaellars
10-04-2009, 01:27 PM
The only time a BC could ever fire a flamer REQUIRES them to have a IC with them to hold them back.

read Headstrong.

Craz
10-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Or a Wolf Guard. Which is also the only way to get a reliable fist into that squad.

wittdooley
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah, having a wolf guard in there is kinda what I was thinking anyway.

Confuddled
10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
1.) I can't decide on this...does anyone think it's worthwhile to take a Flamer with a Blood Claws unit. Sure, you'll lose an attack, but you could do some damage before you charge.
Well, it depends on the squad size/set-up, doesn’t it?

If you’re running 5-9 Blood Claws with a Wolf Guard chaperone in a Razorback/Rhino, then yeah, you’d probably appreciate having a flamer in the squad.

If you’re running 14 Blood Claws led by a Wolf Guard and Wolf Priest in a Crusader, why in heck would you need a flamer?! ;)

That being said, I really don’t see any reason NOT to give a Blood Claw a flamer since it doesn’t actually cost you any points.

2.) Is anyone using Plasma Guns with the Grey Hunters.
Haven’t tried them yet, but it might be entertaining.

Unless I expect to encounter lots and lots of monstrous creatures, however, I probably won’t be fielding plasma on a regular basis – meltas are just that much more effective in general.

Check back with me in January? ;)