PDA

View Full Version : Dark Heresy Background

You From the Future
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
I was recently carousing through my local Borders and I picked up Creatures Anathema because it seemed to have some pretty interesting background information in it. I don't plan on every playing Dark Heresy, but I would consider picking up some of the expansions and maybe even the core rules if they had some pretty interesting and unique fluff in them (the whole idea of a techpriest taken over by virus controlled mechanical parts was particularly cool in Creatures). Does anyone else know if there is interesting snippets in the other books?

Lord Severus
07-31-2009, 09:34 PM
I have all the books the have released so far, and can honostly say they are all worthwhile. Depending on what you play, if you are looking for fluff for armies you could be more selective. Just about any of the books for Inquisitorial fluff, The inquisitors handbook is great for IG/adeptus mechanicus/sisters fluff, the core book is more focused on inquisition fluff, Disciples of the dark gods had good chaos cult fluff, and creatures is more xenos/obscure demons or creatures fluff.

All in all they are a great set of books from a background perspective, and also make a good game.

Diagnosis Ninja
08-03-2009, 04:53 AM
If you're planning on writing the back story for an army, or something, then they can be an immense inspiration for describing a planet, a location, or anything. Huge amounts of background in them.

Plasticfish
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I find the artwork in the books quite inspirational. A month back I made a Techpriest for a local painting comp that I found the inspiration for in one of the books.
If you look for interresting snippets from any of the other books I can easily recommend "Disciples of the Dark Gods", it blew me away, and I'm planning on using it to blow my players away...

Bung
08-03-2009, 01:13 PM
All artwork is inspiration in thes books, at lest for me.
But i like some quotes int the books to
Like:
Live is war and im gonna win! 'Trench Head' Jones

They are like the Thought of the Day and most time funny to read.

Abominable Plague Marine
08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Most of the books are awesome, I would just keep away from the adventure/campaign books.

Plasticfish
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
In my opinion the adventure/campign books, well I only own 'Purge the unclean', are a bit over-written for my taste. It's like you have to read the whole adventure and than take down a ton of notes so you really have a clue, and control on everything that's going to happen in the different scenes. But on the other hand reading the adventures are like reading a BL novel, so you really get a big bang for the money!

Diagnosis Ninja
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
I really like the standard of the narrative in DH, it's really top notch. When it's like telling a story, you know it's better than DnD :D

Abominable Plague Marine
08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
In my opinion the adventure/campign books, well I only own 'Purge the unclean', are a bit over-written for my taste. It's like you have to read the whole adventure and than take down a ton of notes so you really have a clue, and control on everything that's going to happen in the different scenes. But on the other hand reading the adventures are like reading a BL novel, so you really get a big bang for the money!

Agreed, and unfortunately for me my GM doesnt read ahead so has no idea where any of it is going, so spends half of each session umming and arhing whenever we ask him something!

The Creatures Anathema is awesome because it includes a lot of GM plot tie ins, win win!

Voxnovanion
09-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Agreed, and unfortunately for me my GM doesnt read ahead so has no idea where any of it is going, so spends half of each session umming and arhing whenever we ask him something!

The Creatures Anathema is awesome because it includes a lot of GM plot tie ins, win win!

Well, if your GM doesn't read ahead in adventures, there are some adventures that are going to be pretty hard to play in DH, especially those with more free-form elements such as Edge of Darkness (on the FFG site as a download and a very good adventure IMO) and the Tattered Fates hardcover adventure book.
Maybe he should try writing his own adventures? That way he'll always know what's coming next...

schoon
09-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I'd have to agree - pretty much all of the Sourcebooks are packed full of interesting fluff and ideas. The Adventure books less so, but they are actually decent adventures.

Melissia
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
[edit: wrong thread apparently... I mistook the intention of the OP in this thread. Feel free to delete this post.]