PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding an on an army

ant7
10-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I am getting back into fantasy after a long hiatus, and I am stuck between two armies, Warriors of Chaos and Skaven. On the one hand I have some cool conversion ideas for a Norse themed WoC army (original I know). On the other is the idea of all those new Skaven models. I am not worried about the power level of the armies I am more concerned with the models and the fun of the gameplay if that makes sense, so can anyone help me here?
Yeah I just realized I put this in the rumors section sorry!!
So Aldramelech no advise?

Aldramelech
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I think this needs to be in General Discussion?

PostWarFolk
10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Warriors of Chaos for sure. Just my opinion.

ant7
10-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks PostWarFolk, thats what i am looking for, people opinions. I am really on the fence on this one but I seem to be leaning toward WoC

Yhcrana
10-04-2009, 12:03 AM
It depends on your play style.

Warriors of chaos can be a very elitist army with a few strong units, whereas skaven have lots of average troops in large numbers.

I myself play skaven and regularly take 80 clanrats, 40 slaves and 30 night runners in my 2250 armies.
For a starting player that is a of of money, modeling and painting.

I will not be getting any of the new core models as I cannot be bothered doing all the work it took to get the army done. Now i look to doing smaller elitist armies because it is so much easier to get an army up and running.

j-orge-287
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Are you a vile disgusting person? (no offense) if so pick skaven otherwise pick Warriors of Chaos.

Grabnutz
10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Simple really... are you a man or a mouse?

jahred
10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Warriors of Chaos if you want a cheaper army which can be on the table faster due to less models to paint! Also, its easier to use since you don't have to worry about the missile phase - just get stuck in! Also, your army is really, really hard.

Skaven if you want to have a really characterful fun-filled army of Rats with Gatling guns. I love Skaven but they would be a bigger cost and painting investment. Furthermore, they are tricker to use than WoC but just as rewarding.

*tde*
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
A vote for WoC here, ease of entry, lovely models, hard as nails army.

Aldramelech
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Skaven's a big commitment both in time and money. Many are started, few are finished. In England at wargames events there is usually a "bring and buy". The club running the event will take your unwanted stuff and display and sell it for you, for a commission off the top (not sure if this happens outside the UK) its very, very popular. I cant remember the last time I didn't see a half finished skaven army on the bring and buy, there's always one.

I think to begin with small is beautiful, go WOC first.

Herald of Nurgle
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Like many Chaos armies, WoC provide a few of the essential 'jabs' for a player - conversion opportunities, an easily run army that still has some new tricks at the high level, and a well established part in the universe. If you want an army which, though it could use the same models as everyone else, will still be distinctive due to the options available... play Warriors. Warriors are a tactical force, the equivilent of Space Mareens in 40k without all the vanilla. There are no uber must have characters, but there are many options regardless.
Disadvantages? You're THE bad guys, so everyone hates you. Too many people play WoC, so you'd be seen as a Bandwagoner. WoC are forgiving compared to other armies, but screw up and... you're screwed.

Skaven are built around a different set of core jabs. They are the Orks of Fantasy - fun and wacky to play with when you want them to be, but hard and deadly when the fun STOPS. They will be competitive and distinctive in style on the table - unlike Goblin armies, YOUR throwaway units will have some use with their Ratling Guns and the such.
Disadvantages to the Skaven army are of course the model count (according to the Advance Orders, it's £1 per rat... in core), and the fact that they have a new army book in November - buy later rather than earlier.

Overall, stay your cash for now... but i'd recommend Warriors...