PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolves

crazyzombie
10-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Hay, today I played a game using the new space wolves codex and decided to use 3 lone wolves. general speaking how do you guys think of them? I found ,at least in my game, that they are worth their points. I know their slow and expensive when outfited correcty (75 points for 1 with terminator a and TH/SS) ,but with this configuration they are really hard to kill. So give me your thoughts on this importan topic.

Katie Drake
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Right now I'm messing with the idea of a Lone Wolf equipped with terminator armor, storm bolter and chainfist. Since he's equipped with Terminator armor he can't take grenades so there's little reason to not take a chainfist. His job is basically to make a beeline for anything big and expensive - tanks, walkers like Dreadnoughts, Monstrous Creatures and the like. Failing that, he just goes HQ hunting and tries to one-shot somebody with his chainfist. I don't think a storm shield is a worthwhile investment as it makes a relatively cheap model more expensive. Besides, his job is to die anyway, especially in Annihilation missions, so there's no need to spend too many points protecting him. Terminator armor keeps him alive long enough to get into combat and break something and not a moment longer.

Looking forward to other people's thoughts!

crazyzombie
10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah chainfist could be good, but whats up with the storm bolter? If your hunting vehicals or the big guys your not going to be able to shoot your bolter to a very much degree. I know it keeps thing cheap, but in my opinion it's worth 5 points to get a combi melta.

Oh, and by the way I know it might seem counter productive to give more protection to a guy that is supposed to die, but the advantege to the storm sheild is that while he is supposed to die in the end a canny opponent with problably realize that a kill point isn't worth the life of their vulkan and will problably shoot you with some kind plasma, melta, las, or wraithcannon and cost you 60 point model. If you have a storm shield however the wolf will have to be shot a whole lot more to die drawing more of your opponents fire for a non kill point model

Chumbalaya
10-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Termie Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield, 2 puppies. Run him forward and smash. If they shoot him, good, he's supposed to get killed.

bad moon on afull moon
10-04-2009, 04:13 AM
im running two lone wolves both in termie armour, one with wolf claws and meltabombs and the other with a chainfist and a combimelta

Xas
10-04-2009, 05:16 AM
my most beloved modell in the wolf dex:

lone wolf with meltabombs.

hes is as resilent as a 4man marine squat against small arms fire and costs allmost nothing (25pts). his main idea is to annoy the hell outa the oponents tanks. if he has good run rolls he can reach enemy shooty tanks in turn 4, transporters as soon as turn 1 (if he goes first and boosts forward).

if he dies... he has earned his points in firepower spent. if he doesnt die he causes a lot of pain (try pinning down those 5 man combat squads running for the objective into cc. without a pwoerfist he wont die anytime soon :))

only problem is that each of them eats a Elite slot!

TSINI
10-04-2009, 07:26 AM
hes is as resilent as a 4man marine squat against...

umm um um ummm you said a naughty word...

i'll let you off because it was a typo

these lone wolves seem tough, maybe I won't sell my wolves

The West Coast Knight
10-04-2009, 08:31 AM
40 points of Wulfen fun.

Most of the time they will be a speed bump but thats what they are good at.

Blackyujiro
10-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Storm Shield and a Powerfist for my LW. He's like Cap. America in PA :)

memnarch_129
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
if you want to max the number of kills try MotW and Melta Bombs. When going after T5 or MC's you end up with 8 attacks possible(D6+1 +1 for charging). Considering you reroll any to hits you have a very good chance of killing what your going after. When going after Walkers you use the Melta Bombs. It may only be one attack but when you get to reroll the to hit of a S8+2D6 attack you pretty much make sure to kill the walker.

SombreBrotherhood
10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Doesn't the Mark of the Wulfen special rule about using hands and teeth preclude the use of the meltabombs in CC? Not trying to make this a rules thread, and yes, silly that he's trying to [I]bite[I] through the walker's armor, but as I read the rule this isn't a wise thing to do...

EmperorEternalXIX
10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
You need 6's to hit walkers. The reroll will help but it won't do much.

crazyzombie
10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Also while 2+3++ 2 wound with FnP modle is extremly hard to kill. A 3+ modle with die way to fast to anything with ap regardless of its special rules.

Katie Drake
10-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Meltabombs aren't worth it on most units in my opinion. You'll almost always be hitting on 6s with them and even with a reroll from Litanies/Liturgies of Hate/Battle or whatever other special rule, you'd still be lucky to land a hit. Why rely on a meltabomb when you can just take a chainfist instead? Sure, it's more expensive, especially since you need to buy Terminator armor too, but it's about a zillion times more effective - needing 6s to hit isn't so much a problem when you're getting 3 attacks with rerolls.

Alternatively, one could just take a combi-melta for the same cost as meltabombs and call it a day. :p

The West Coast Knight
10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Melta Bombs are my don't leave home without them items and now in 5th edition with most armour not being able to fire all its weapons unless it stays still Melta bombs are even better.
Just yesterday I played my new Space Wolves vs Guard.
Guard player had a Basalisk and a Manticore hiding in the corner and guess where my Wolf scouts came in all loaded with Melta Bombs and all auto hitting good bye Armour.
Done this many times with my Black Templars Jump Infentry all loaded with Melta Bombs
Even if the thing you are trying to hit did move you have five to ten guys all getting a chance to strap one on and make da boom boom!! on a 4 or better because most pople are only moving at combat speed max in order to fire weapons.
Oh and I don't think a model with MOTW can use Melta Bomb much to my dismay they are to busy chewing the tires or treads off the armour.

WCK

Duke
10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
I like a few builds:
1. Termie, Chainfist
2. Power armour, melta Bombs.
3. Power armour, MOTW

The goal here is to keep him cheap, but with a possible "Kaboom!" factor.

Duke

Jack-Hammer
10-19-2009, 01:30 PM
I've been using

frost blade and a storm shield

and so far he collected three carnifexs of different sorts two vindicators and numerous troop models.
The biggest issue s trying to keep him out of small arms fire, but as one model and with true line of sight its not too hard to hide.

I do think the storm shield offers a lot when going up against monstrous creatures and characters.

MightyOrang
10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
I just played my first game of SW (though my upteenth game of 40k) ... 1k list ... took one 45 point Lone Wolf (Frost Blade) ... and he got a lucky pistol shot would in on a Carnifex, killed 3x Gaunts (WS5 I5 against him ... thank you 3+ SV) and then butchered a Zoanthrope like a hog with the Frost Blade (not a challenge, mind you, but a far better economy of force than sending a whole squad after the Zoanthrope).

Frankly, I like them a lot, and will be taking more. Just trying to strike that balance of how much to spend on him ... can see the Terminator Armor as a good choice too... but much more than that, and why bother?

MightyOrang
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
As I interpret it, YES, Mark of the Wulfen does -- those lines in there about claws and teeth and generally slobbering all over the enemy tell me that they'd attack via rending.

the question then ... is do they HAVE to pay for the meltabombs anyway?

Nabterayl
10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
the question then ... is do they HAVE to pay for the meltabombs anyway?
Not quite sure what you're asking here. You never have to pay for meltabombs. I think Mark of the Wulfen pretty clearly prevents you from using them anyway, so if I was taking a Marked Lone Wolf, I wouldn't buy meltabombs for him.

MightyOrang
10-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Not quite sure what you're asking here. You never have to pay for meltabombs. I think Mark of the Wulfen pretty clearly prevents you from using them anyway, so if I was taking a Marked Lone Wolf, I wouldn't buy meltabombs for him.

sorry ... being vague there ... meant that if you pay for the meltabombs for the squad at 5pts per model, you're 'wasting' that 5 points spent for the wulfen, because he can't use them and they're purchased by squad, not individual model.

in the case of a lone wolf, of course, there's no such issue.

Slann
10-21-2009, 09:18 AM
I think they are great and could def. disrupt the enemy lines a bit but I do not think they are a stand out unit , but they are fun .

Nabterayl
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
sorry ... being vague there ... meant that if you pay for the meltabombs for the squad at 5pts per model, you're 'wasting' that 5 points spent for the wulfen, because he can't use them and they're purchased by squad, not individual model.
Ah, I see what you mean now. In that case yes, I believe you do have to pay for the Marked model's meltabombs (though I would certainly feel no obligation to model them), as the Marked model is still a "model."

We might see a FAQ on this, similar to the way painboyz and Kaptin Badrukk don't have to purchase snazzgun upgrades, but for now, I'd say that Marked wulfen definitely still have to buy meltabombs if the meltabombs are purchased for an entire squad.

pchappel
10-27-2009, 09:12 PM
So, either the 45+ point TDA (60 or 65 for most builds with combi melta and upgraded power weapon to "whatever") or the basic "cheap" option of power armor and MotW for 35 seems to be the general consensus? 'course, everyone plays it different, and mine will likely be one of the TDA builds for the "find something big and kill it" sort of thing :-)...

crazyzombie
10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I personaly like The TH/SS option. While sure these lone wolves won't be able to do much to a Landraider they still will do just about as fine agnist regular veichals and walkers. But, while vehicals are huge here in
5th lets not forget about the big guys lone wolves desinged to fight. I mean I don't think a chainfist will help you very much if your facing Crons/nids, however agnist those amies your TH will help a whole lot. The abillity to knock down an opposing modle's I to 1 should make C'tans shutter. I know it isn't the best choice right now but when the great devavur comes knnocking in Janury you might want to consider the TH.

EmperorEternalXIX
10-29-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the appeal of MotW at all, especially on a Lone Wolf. Wouldn't it be better to have a powerful, damaging weapon?

The West Coast Knight
10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Its just so much fun to have a Werewolf running around eating people.
Rhino and then managed to hold the Tactical squad for 2 turns of combat eventuly killing them all.

pchappel
10-29-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the appeal of MotW at all, especially on a Lone Wolf. Wouldn't it be better to have a powerful, damaging weapon?

Depends a bit on what he's hunting... If I'm facing a bunch of troops and no/few vehicles/DN's/etc., then the potential 8 attacks with a Rending weapon starts looking good... And it's pretty cheap...

Katie Drake
10-30-2009, 03:31 AM

On a Lone Wolf it's not particularly good, but it's a nice upgrade for Grey Hunter squads. It costs just as much as a power weapon and if I remember correctly the math works out in favor of the Mark of the Wulfen as long as the roll of the D6 is at least average (meaning a 3-4 is rolled).

EmperorEternalXIX
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Depends a bit on what he's hunting... If I'm facing a bunch of troops and no/few vehicles/DN's/etc., then the potential 8 attacks with a Rending weapon starts looking good... And it's pretty cheap... This makes sense but I don't understand the potential 8 attacks. Is it really that high?

EDIT: Just scoped out the MotW rules...seems pretty good. At minimal it will be 3, which I suppose is roughly as good as the other options. Also, not that I would, but it seems like you can stack MotW on another model (like the guy with the Wolf Standard). I think I will have to play it with MotW a few times to see how I feel about it.

pchappel
10-31-2009, 08:04 PM
:) Yes, the MotW on the Sky Claw has been huge for me, and it's more or less standard on my Grey Hunters... I doubt I'd put it on a Lone Wolf, but on a Wolf Guard (with combi weapon), it seems to work out quite well... But if I start seeing Ork armies, etc...

PhoenixFlame
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been running this config on my single Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf + TDA + MotW

And he's been getting more than his points back as a matter of course (not hard with how little he costs).
Mostly his tactical role however isn't purely centered around actual kills.
He's a low cost solid durability speed bump. Try tossing this guy at a winged Deamon Prince and having him tie it up for 3 1/2 turns in melee leaving it open to be shot the rest of the way to death by well placed squads once that combat ends.
Or throwing him into a melee on it's second turn MotW + Charge = 9 rending attacks (yes I rolled well)
Popping three assault marines not only changes the tide of the melee but it also gets him his points back.
Assaulted into a full unit of scouts the next turn and kept them tied up for the remaining turns of the game (killing all but two of them).
Those are examples of the success I've had with him. Either he is ignored as a single model, and can get in close with those more squishy infantry units. Or he's given a high target priority because players are treating him like an IC and he soaks fire. TDA + 2 wounds usually means more than one round of fire before he drops and that gives time for autocannons and Wolf Guard in TDA to chew up opposing forces.

a 60 pt guy who can take that abuse and have a real shot of chewing his way through a tac squad? I find it hard to argue with that.

my experiences,
Phoenix

EmperorEternalXIX
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think he can have 9 attacks. MotW replaces the attacks characteristic, so the guy doesn't have base 2 attacks anymore. He has base 1d6+1, which with charging, is a max of 8.

PhoenixFlame
11-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I don't think he can have 9 attacks. MotW replaces the attacks characteristic, so the guy doesn't have base 2 attacks anymore. He has base 1d6+1, which with charging, is a max of 8.

Right you are, that's what happens when I pay more attention to my descriptions than my editing.
It is in fact 8 attacks (once the typo is removed :p ) with the side note that Logan could improve it still further (since his ability effects all friendlies within 18'' <=== this note matters to me since I run them both and often use them as side by side vanguard beakers)

Brother Merrick
11-15-2009, 12:01 PM
While Lone Wolves seem like a great option, I wonder if, over time, the meta game will shift and players will just start ignoring them? A Glorious Death adds a unique twist to the game... how long will it take for tricks to start popping up that either tie up the LW for the game or otherwise keep him from dying?

M

Earthen
11-15-2009, 10:21 PM
While Lone Wolves seem like a great option, I wonder if, over time, the meta game will shift and players will just start ignoring them? A Glorious Death adds a unique twist to the game... how long will it take for tricks to start popping up that either tie up the LW for the game or otherwise keep him from dying?

M

i duno, i find that pretty unlikely. If the LW is tying up big guard units or something, then thats great.
LW can do alot of damage if theyre armed right and left to do their damage.

since i posted i guess i should mention

I run chainfist, SS, termie armor, and i run 2 of them.

EmperorEternalXIX
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
That is actually why I want to gear him as a murder machine with a Chainfist and Storm Shield. No one will be able to ignore him for long.