PDA

View Full Version : New SW Dex Qs...already

PinoyC
10-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Got my new SW dex yesterday and I've been looking at updating my wolves...

1st: w/ the GH any squad less than 10 models has the choice of one between FL, MG, and PG...but with 10 GHs, a 2nd model can take one of those for free. Therefore, by my understanding I can get a FL for free (that's it's actual cost) and then, b/c I have a full squad,I can get a FL/MG/PG for free due to the wording. Is that correct?

2nd: What size is thunderwolf cav supposed to be? I know that the namedcharacter is on a dread base but it doesn't specify.

Last one for now is, does the Saga of the Hunter allow an IC to join the WS and OBEL? I've heard ranting and ravings about this by the online community and several individuals that had been using store copies but after reading what it does...I don't think so.

On a side note...did you notice pg 9...1st para under "The Horus Heresy"..."Gradually, all 20 Primarchs were reunited..." WTF?

PC

deadmanwade
10-04-2009, 07:13 AM
1.) I would say that the "no additional cost" means that you pay the points listed above and nothing extra. Some older codicies (Chaos Marines and the 4th ed Marine codex) had units that could take extra special weapons but the points values were different. Its one of those things where the RAW and RAI can be interpreted however you want.
2.) The Dread-base would be appropriate if you were converting your own from the special character but since the models dont actually exist in any form yet, you're probably ok mounting them on bike bases or terminator bases. The special characters mount is supposed to be a big wolf anyway.
3.) OBEL is a special ability used after putting a unit into reserve to outflank. If you attached a special character you'd be able to outflank as normal since every member of the unit would have that ability, but you couldnt OBEL since the IC cant do it. Again this comes down to your exact reading of RAW.

Also, the 20 primarchs thing is also in one of the the chaos dex's isnt it?

Melissia
10-04-2009, 07:49 AM
On the side discussion: That's established fluff, not new fluff. All 20 primarchs were reunited. The two "lost" legions WERE indeed found. We just don't know what happened to them during the HH to have their existence wiped from the history books.

PinoyC
10-04-2009, 12:35 PM
1...I'm still on the free 2nd weapon boat...it's hard to put it together the other way.
2...Yeah, I can see that...I can't take the leap either way just to eat s*** if it ends up the other way round.
3...that's what I thought...would've been nice and probably worth the points but broken at the same time.

SN...Where exactly does it state that all 20 were found...even in the HH books it seems that they infer that the 2 unnamed Primarchs were destroyed through the accident/from some point on the planets they landed on...not brought into the fold...the exact quote from the SW dex states "reunited" (aka found, accepted the emperor, and fought as part of the crusade).

SeattleDV8
10-04-2009, 12:58 PM
2nd Ed fluff had all 20 fighting in the Great Crusade, but all records of legions 2 & 11 were destroyed after HH.

PinoyC
10-04-2009, 01:18 PM
2nd Ed fluff had all 20 fighting in the Great Crusade, but all records of legions 2 & 11 were destroyed after HH.

really...which dex?

40kGamer
10-05-2009, 11:24 AM
There is a teaser in "The Lightning Tower" by Dan Abnett that refers to the lost Primarchs. There is a nice review of it at this link: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3121 ;)

It reads as if all 20 were together during the Great Crusade but prior to the Heresy, 2 of the Primarchs had been lost to the Imperium. Dorn wonders about the lessons the 18 remaining Primarchs should have learned from the events that led to the 2 being "lost."

SeattleDV8
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
really...which dex?

2nd Ed Codex: Ultramarines( they didn't even pretend back then) and Codex : Imperialis

faolan
10-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Actually, on this topic...

Note that Space Wolf Rhinos and Razorbacks CAN carry Terminators.

What the hell?

40kGamer
10-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Rhinos and RB's can't carry Termies. SW Codex Page 61 under Terminator Armour.

faolan
10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
It's interesting that its there, but not under the Rhino, where it should be.

At the least, it opens up some legit questions about their proofing.

40kGamer
10-06-2009, 08:32 AM
It should definitely be under the Rhino entry for ease of reference. GW likes to bury a few gold coins so that we read the whole book! ;)

EmperorEternalXIX
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
As far as I know, the carrying terminators thing has always been under terminator armor, hasn't it? I could be mistaken.

40kGamer
10-06-2009, 01:35 PM
In the vanilla Codex the Rhino and Razorback entries say no Termies. Pgs 76-77. In the SW Codex the Rhino/Razorback entry is combined and doesn't exclude the Termies. Pg 40. In the army list section neither codex mentions Termies under the Rhino/Razorback entries.