PDA

View Full Version : Power Axes

Capt Forsythe
09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Power axes have the same drawback as a power fist, without the benefit of double strength. I suggest that power axes should be +1 S -2 I.

This would put most power axe swings after regular infantry attacks, but still before power fists and claws.

Opinions?

ElectricPaladin
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
They don't enjoy double strength, but they are also about 10 points cheaper. I don't see a problem.

Capt Forsythe
09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
It's just that power axes with a flat 1 I penalty isn't a real great step in the direction of creating internal balance, as it penalizes the naturally high I, low armor, low T armies that require a high I for survival.

For Marines, you are typically sacrificing only 3 I to get access to 2ap cc weapons, but you still retain your 3+ armor, 4 T. For xenos, you have to sacrifice 5 or 6 I sometimes, and you still have mediocre to low saves/toughness.

Xenos already pay high point premiums for their I, so from a game design perspective, the Axe just isnt implemented well. A flat -2 I will change the I-step significantly enough to be meaningful, but will not overly penalize some armies.