PDA

View Full Version : New fantasy army

apahllo
09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
So it's not going to be skaven, cuz I don't like the book, models are iffy IMO, and Im just never enthusiastic about rats. But it's the army I started with so I have respect for them.

I really have no idea, orcs and empire are at the top of my list because they have the digital codex. But that's not a sway factor for me. I'm still generally new to fantasy.
Sell your army as best you can, so I'll join your ranks!!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
I have 1k of Beastmen available, with PLASTIC Cenitgors. :p

TheCastigator
09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
It really depends on what you want to do. Honestly though, I would go for the models that you like the best before worrying about the rules. If you don't you'll, have a lot of models that you don't want to paint. All fantasy armies have solid builds, and while some are more limited than others, I think the two you mention provide you with lot of great options for lists. Empire has a big advantage in the fact that their line is almost entirely plastic, and O&G have one of the widest array of competitive builds in fantasy. Both provide you with the opportunity to take a lot of artillery, go magic heavy, fighty, and both armies have some great kits. I personally love the Giant Spider.

Empire has the additional advantage of detachments and can field a TON of pretty reliable shooting, not like Dark Elves, but still dependable. Demigryphs are one of the top killing units in the game and they have crazy staying power, and Empire provides you with the option to take a ton of knights.

O&G on the other had, can help you make huge horde army supplemented by giants and spiders. Plus their book lets you build what seems like, in a lot of cases, two different armies.

So, in conclusion, start with the models you like and go worry about the rules later. Fantasy is surprisingly well balanced and you can win with any army, despite what the internetz may tell you. I personally play vampires, because I love the idea of an Army of Darkness style horde of skeletons, not to mention zombie apocalypse. And that is how I tell everyone to start their fantasy army. If you found models that you like, that makes the decision that much easier.

apahllo
09-12-2012, 01:07 PM
That was my problem with the rats. I don't like the models, and it was a huge mistake. I have 2k of rats that I don't want to paint and have no desire to play.

Thanks for the analysis, ima go look at the models in person and talk to people who play the armies.

Solution9
09-12-2012, 03:58 PM
I agree with TheCastigator as far as the model range goes. I suggest look over the back of the rulebook/website and see the model ranges and read the army fluff synopsis. Personally I love Tomb Kings and Bretonians. Tomb Kings have a great book but it's also one of the most difficult armies to play. In regard to Brets they haven't seen a new book since 6th Ed and who knows when they will. But find an army that fits your personality. You several 8th ed books out now that are great: Orks, Empire, Tomb Kings, Ogres, Vampires and very soon Chaos. So right off the bat you have good options. All good armies with great playing styles and great great models.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
09-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Nearly got rid of the Beastmen... So close. :p

Kaiserdean
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I find that I stick with an army longer the more I like to paint them.

apahllo
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I agree with TheCastigator as far as the model range goes. I suggest look over the back of the rulebook/website and see the model ranges and read the army fluff synopsis. Personally I love Tomb Kings and Bretonians. Tomb Kings have a great book but it's also one of the most difficult armies to play. In regard to Brets they haven't seen a new book since 6th Ed and who knows when they will. But find an army that fits your personality. You several 8th ed books out now that are great: Orks, Empire, Tomb Kings, Ogres, Vampires and very soon Chaos. So right off the bat you have good options. All good armies with great playing styles and great great models.
Tomb kings is actually the army book I liked the most. And the models are super awesome. Animosity turned me away from orcs.

Right now I'm in between empire and tomb kings. But I watching a tournament on Saturday so I can get a good view of what can be done.

I like both the empire and tomb kings because the models reward inivative paint schemes. Metal skeletons :)

Solution9
09-14-2012, 12:55 PM
From experience since I do play both armies they are both wonderful. I have yet to play Empire with the new book and I doubt I will any time soon since I am still working on the Tomb Kings. The Empire army is amazing now. The combinations to bolster infantry units with magic and detachments has never been better. The new models are really nice looking and have interesting painting concepts that can be done. Some of the new units are awesome. Tomb Kings is my second favorite army in the game (Brets being my #1). I love the Ancient Egyptian theme, the abilities they have and the model range. Skeletons are some of the easiest basic troops to paint (a whole unit can be done super fast). I like the new options for the Ushabti. The new monsters they have rock! The Warsphinx is too cool not to take. The revamped Casket rules are much much better. The combinations are really good. The only downside is that the army plays much differently than most armies. Because TK units can't march, movement is extremely finesse. You have to be careful how you move them on the field and that can make the army hard to use for a new comer. What you need to know in my opinion about fantasy you need to have an army be good a 2/3 phases (movement, magic and shooting). You need to make the army good at 2 out of those three. Despite TK weakness is movement it can also be its greatest strength. You just have to be able to figure out how.

Eljonson
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
ok your new... well people here can shout out all kinds of stuff but what kind of gamer are you? Power Gamer, Fun Gamer, Paint Gamer, etc... Go from their and choose what appeals to you