PDA

View Full Version : Fenrisian Wolves

wittdooley
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
So, what base size is everyone putting these guys on? I'm using the plastic one that comes in the Ragnar blister (he game with a cav base from WHFB) but He needs to be on a round. He's too small for the rounded bike bases, and a bit too big for a 25mm base. It looks like the best option is a 40mm termie sized base, but I just can't see running an 8pt model on a base that large.

Thoughts?

PinoyC
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
IIRC the old ones used for 13th CO. was on a rectangle cav base...which seem to work...the new rounded bike bases would feel better but I'm not even sure if that's a gw base (the bikes I have came w/ rectangle cav bases?).

wittdooley
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, the cav base is the perfect size.... but nothing else in 40k uses square bases....

miteyheroes
10-05-2009, 04:41 AM
The same bases as flesh hounds in Daemons of Chaos armies?

StarWarsDoug
10-05-2009, 08:14 AM
The "official" base for wolves and cavalry is the Cavalry base. I believe its 50x20mm. I think the models would look better on a 40mm "termie" round base. But, base sizes matter in 40k when determining assaults and such, so I would think you need to stick to the Cavalry base.

I dislike my hound bases in my daemon army with their squared cavalry look, but I use them because that's the base it's supposed to use.

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Sigh...I was afraid that was the case. They're gonna stick out like a midget in the NBA.

Jwolf
10-05-2009, 10:01 AM
There are some nice oval bases from Iron Halo and other vendors that I'd suggest will look better and less "midget-y".

Dosadi
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
I'll be putting mine on 40mm Terminator bases. Any added advantage in assault is nullified when they get shot by blast or template weapons. Since it says they take up 2 spaces in transports the 40mm base is the perfect option IMO. Anyone who gives me grief over this probably isn't worth playing against anyway.:rolleyes:

Dosadi

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 10:15 AM
There are some nice oval bases from Iron Halo and other vendors that I'd suggest will look better and less "midget-y".

Are they shorter than the bike bases?

Ideally I would think that the perfect size would the the length of a cav base with the ends being rounded....maybe I'll just make a few and cast them...

Jwolf
10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
They're cavalry bases, just rounded. They're great.

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
If they're the ones intended for bikes, they're a bit longer, and they're a tad too big for the wolf models. The bike bases are 25mm X 75mm. The Cav bases are 25mm x 50mm, and a rounded version of this would be perfect.

Kanaellars
10-05-2009, 12:34 PM
The Bases that come with the Space Marine Scout Bikes are the ones I am using.

Long and narrow like a cav base, but rounded for 40k.

wittdooley
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
The Bases that come with the Space Marine Scout Bikes are the ones I am using.

Long and narrow like a cav base, but rounded for 40k.

Yeah, I was gonna do that, but they're a bit long for my liking.

StarWarsDoug
10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
If you look at the wolves in phil Kelly's army as posted on the GW site today, they are on 40mm termie bases. So I guess that's "acceptable" and I feel they look "right" on those bases in a 40k army.

wittdooley
10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Cool, thanks for pointing that out. I actually just went with cut down bike bases. I trim them down to 50mm length instead of 75mm, and they look really nice. It takes some extra work, but what else do I have to do with my time.

Dosadi
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Phil Kelly's "Lightning Wolf" Company has them mounted on 40mm bases here (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=4700027a);

He wrote the codex, that's good enough for me.

Doh...

Dosadi

EmperorEternalXIX
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I am more interested in knowing what kinds of models people are going to use for their wolves.

wittdooley
10-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I've looked, and looked, and looked, and I really think I've decided on the Goblin Wolf Rider wolves. I gave SERIOUS consideration to the Chaos Warhounds, but I'm not just interested in THAT much conversion work to get them to look right--it would take more green stuffing and trimming than I think it's worth.

Kanaellars
10-08-2009, 03:15 AM
The Goblin Wolf Rider wolves look fine for Fenrisian Wolves, although I am planning on using the Chaos Warhounds for my Thunderwolf riders, they turn out a lot better for those, and Im converting those anyway.

jcroxford
10-08-2009, 03:49 AM
I'll be using the chaos warhounds. These (http://dj-batman.blogspot.com/2009/09/fenrisian-wolves-conversion.html) look pretty awesome.

miteyheroes
10-08-2009, 04:56 AM
I am more interested in knowing what kinds of models people are going to use for their wolves.

I'm hugely tempted by converted nids, covered in fur and so on.

There was a theory in one of the nid codices that all death worlds are infected by nids. Hence the Catachan Devil is a nid, etc. This re-occurs in the current SW dex when it says the Kracken might be a nid.

What I'd love is to make all the Fenrisian predators into highly evolved furry nid beasts. So convert nid warriors into fenrisian wolves and thunderwolves... It'd be a major greenstuff project, but fur is quite easy so it'd be fun.

wittdooley
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Okay, after seeing that Warhound Convesion I MAY be sold on that. I hadn't given any though to using the wolf tails, but that looks really nice.

I'm working on my Bjorn conversion now, so I'll try and get pictures of him up tonight.