PDA

View Full Version : Planetstrike and the all Non-Necron army

Lerra
10-04-2009, 10:44 PM
It is possible in Planetstrike to take an army with no troops, and so a Necron player is running a list with zero models with the Necron special rule in order to avoid phase out. He's bringing something like 30 pariahs and a C'tan! I'm all for seeing this crazy list in action, but how does that work with phase out?

If you have zero Necrons out of zero, are you automatically phased out, or does it become impossible to phase you out? What percent of 0 is 0? :eek:

fuzzbuket
10-05-2009, 12:33 AM
i get the idea but 0% of 0 is 0:D

great idea but (nightbringer+ monospam):D

fuzzbuket

Lord Anubis
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
The rule says once you're reduced to 25% or less of the starting number of models, you'll phase out. But you can't be reduced if you're starting at none. I'd say it's a fairly unique situation where phase out doesn't count, but it's open for debate.

It's a friendly game. Jerk answer-- he shows up and you tell him he lost before he even sets one model down. Fun answer-- you just play the game and see what it's like dealing with the Necrons when they don't vanish. ;)

Of course, if he doesn't take any troops, he's a bit limited as far as holding objectives and such, so he'll have other issues... :)

Lerra
10-05-2009, 01:26 AM
This is for a competitive campaign (played like a tournament, with cash prizes and such). I'm all for this list working - its actually a pretty decent idea considering that all units are scoring for Planetstrike, and it would be fun to play against. Others may object to us playing it "wrong" though.

Abominable Plague Marine
10-05-2009, 02:15 AM
Others may object to us playing it "wrong" though.

Only if you tell them................

DarkLink
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Well, 0/0 is an indeterminate form (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form), which can't be solved mathmatically in this context. So, mathmatically speaking, it is impossible to take no necrons in a necron army...*

Seriously though, the codex itself doesn't say that you must take necrons (other than to meet the force org chart requirements), and since your "necrons" can't take casualties to be reduced to 25%, so it's probably ok.

* Reminds me of a science joke.
A biologist, a physicist and a mathematician are watching a building. Two people walk in. A while later, three people walk out.
The biologist says "well, they must have reproduced".
The physicist says "our original measurment must have been inaccurate, and there were really three people walking in."
The mathematician says "cool, now if someone enters the building it will be empty."

N-Bomb
10-06-2009, 08:57 PM
By the way, love the joke

Yes from one perspective if there are no necrons to kill then he cannot kill any to cause phase out...but at the same time 75% of 0 is 0 therefore he could argue he killed 0 necrons which is enough to cause phase out, (as it explains in parenthesis in the explanation of phase out) so I can see either way. Also innately they already have reduced you to 25% since the army started out at 0 and 25% of 0 is 0 therefore you are at 25% (along with any other imaginable percent)

ninja skills
10-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Awesome idea.

i would go with being alowed to as there arn't any necrons to kill so the total can't be reduced at all. my group thinks this idea is pretty sweet so I'm trying a no ncron nceron army soon. (gotta love scarabs)

Dan-e
10-13-2009, 05:20 AM
personally as a Necron player i find this concept slightly sickening, its goes against the heart of the army in my opinion. From a rules perspective i can't find fault to say that its illegal or that the army would ever phase out. But again you would never see me play like this.

Also i am not as familiar with the planet strike rules so i don't know if they let you can get around the 0-1 of pariahs. As far as i know this wasn't removed in an Errata or FAQ.

Vindur
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
A guy in my old school club did that in 4th ed.
rules for the league were random points games with 400 being the lowest.
At 400pts you didnt have to follow force org.
As the guy was the organiser he added in you could be 16 points over at any points bracket purely so at 400 points he could have a monolith and 5 pariahs.
Only game my BA lost in that league

Xas
10-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Well, 0/0 is an indeterminate form (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminate_form), which can't be solved mathmatically in this context. So, mathmatically speaking, it is impossible to take no necrons in a necron army...*

I'd emphasis this statement but change the "impossible" for the uneducated into "not allowed".

and btw it would be at maximum 1 c'tan and 10 pariahs since both are 0-1 choices fromt he codex.