PDA

View Full Version : DeathGuard 2000 pts

MagosTechnicus
07-31-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm still fairly new to 40K, and all my games have been small games with friends. Looking to ramp up to 2K so I can play pick-up games over at BattleForge....

2000 Pts - Chaos Marines Roster - Death Guard

HQ: Chaos Terminator Lord (1#, 170 Pts)
1 Chaos Terminator Lord @ 170 Pts
Plague Bringer; Combi-melta; Fearless; Mark of Nurgle

HQ: Daemon Prince (1#, 175 Pts)
1 Daemon Prince @ 175 Pts
Close Combat Weapon; Fearless; Wings; Mark of Nurgle; Warptime (x1)

Heavy Support: Obliterators (2#, 150 Pts)
2 Obliterators @ 150 Pts
Power Fist; Obliterator Weapons; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful

Heavy Support: Obliterators (2#, 150 Pts)
2 Obliterators @ 150 Pts
Power Fist; Obliterator Weapons; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful

Heavy Support: Defiler (1#, 150 Pts)
1 Defiler @ 150 Pts
Fleet; Battle Cannon; Dreadnought CCW (x2); Close Combat Arm; Close Combat Arm; Daemonic Possession; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Troops: Plague Marines (6#, 190 Pts)
5 Plague Marines @ 190 Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Meltagun (x2); Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Fearless; Feel No Pain; Personal Icon; Mark of Nurgle; Rhino
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts
Havoc Launcher; Twin Linked Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers

Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Meltagun (x2); Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Fearless; Feel No Pain; Personal Icon; Mark of Nurgle; Rhino
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts

1 Rhino @ [50] Pts

Troops: Plague Marines (6#, 185 Pts)
5 Plague Marines @ 185 Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Meltagun (x2); Blight Grenades; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Fearless; Feel No Pain; Mark of Nurgle; Rhino
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts

Elite: Terminators (4#, 180 Pts)
4 Terminators @ 180 Pts
Chain Fist (x2); Lightning Claws (pair) (x2); Combi-melta (x1); Heavy Flamer (x1)

Fast Attack: Bikers (3#, 109 Pts)
3 Bikers @ 109 Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Flamer (x2); Twin Linked Bolter; Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Bike

Troops: Chaos Space Marines (10#, 160 Pts)
10 Chaos Space Marines @ 160 Pts
Bolt Pistol; Close Combat Weapon; Bolter; Flamer (x2); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades

Total Roster Cost: 1999

--------------------------

Demon Prince with wings can hang with the bikers & The Terminator Lord will hang with the other Termies....

ebolus
07-31-2009, 05:48 PM
Ah another Nurgle lover!
Personally I always field two Daemon Princes with MoN, Wings and Warp Time. Together they are dynamite. I feel one is a bit risky.
I love meltaguns on the Plague Marines. Very effective against vehicles and softening strong units. I would also pump up your PM squads to seven (their magic number - and that is usually enough whith T5 and FnP) including a champion with fist (to counter charge units with fists or power weapons themselves or hit a vehicle).
I don't think you need the CSM squad. The Plague Marines are better in all ways (exept initiative)
I'm unsure about the terminators. Two chain fists seems a little too much, one should be enough. Claws are always good. I have found the combi-meltas not worth taking. I always miss that single shot.
Bikes are cool, but I never find space for them. IMO they work best with meltaguns.

Good luck!

mkerr
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM
@MagosTechnicus: A couple of minor points. You might want to drop the point costs (although you are pretty safe with totals) and you'll get more responses if you parse out most of the Army Builder gunk. I'm used to reading it, but it can be confusing to people that don't look at it all the time.

So:
"Heavy Support: Obliterators (2#, 150 Pts)
2 Obliterators @ 150 Pts
Power Fist; Obliterator Weapons; Fearless; Slow and Purposeful"

Becomes:
"2 Obliterators"

I'm interested in seeing how the Daemon Prince + Bikers work together. I'd probably lose the bikes and beef up my Terminator squad. It seems like a pretty fragile unit, but I had some success turboboosting Slaaneshi Bikers 18" and moving my Sorcerer up 12" to be within 2" of them. A frustrating little trick, lol.

-- Mkerr

The 10 Chaos Marines on foot with Flamers aren't going to do much for you. You might want to look into some Lesser Daemons or giving these guys a long-range weapon so they can squad on an objective and still contribute.

MagosTechnicus
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the well thought out responses!

Here was my thinking on the CSM with no rhino... If I was going 2nd I was going to put them in a row in front of my rhinos to provide cover (just for the first turn). Other than that they would just generally hang back and hold any objectives near my deployment zone. A heavy weapon would be nice for them, but I gotta figure out where to take the points from....

I like having 2 chainfists on my terminators because if they're going to go after a vehicle, I know it's gonna die. With the lord in there I don't think they need any more troop killing power anyway.

entendre_entendre
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
i agree with ebolus, the PM squads should be larger as if they're that small they can actually die from a moderate amount of small arms fire (GASP!) or assault attacks (even w/ BG's) but they are the ultimate speed bumps if you need them. the CSM w/ the flamers aren't going to do much if they're in the backfield all game, might want to swap 2 flamers for an autocannon or something, it would give you a long range objective camper

ebolus
07-31-2009, 10:33 PM
If I was going 2nd I was going to put them in a row in front of my rhinos to provide cover (just for the first turn). Other than that they would just generally hang back and hold any objectives near my deployment zone. A heavy weapon would be nice for them, but I gotta figure out where to take the points from....

I would think of the rhinos as cover for other parts of my army instead - for example the prince. If they pop in round one (not all will ;)...) you've created a piece of terrain - either rubble/crater or wreck. Use that to your advantage. As mkerr said, you could consider Lesser Daemons. I had 29 of them in a game recently. It was a lot of fun ;)

If you take 3 squads of 7, including champ with fist and rhino (with havoc launchers - which I don't think you need), that's 816 points for 21 Plague Marines. Drop the havoc launchers and the points cost is almost the same as your 4 units of 5. It takes a lot of enemy fire or close combat wounds to kill 7 plague marines. I wouldn't leave home without a fist. These units are deadly when they assault almost everything out there, and due to blight grenades deadly when assaulted as well.

I like having 2 chainfists on my terminators because if they're going to go after a vehicle, I know it's gonna die. With the lord in there I don't think they need any more troop killing power anyway.

That's fair enough, but my only question is if you maybe should let other units focus on tank popping (PMs with meltas, obliterators, bikes with meltas). The daemon weapon is nice, although a bit risky (as they always are).

What you really need to do is play and find out how your list works for you. Then tweak, throw away, bring back, change. Sometimes what you really didn't think would work, instead really saved your day. At least that is how I play. Again, good luck and I know you will have lots of fun! :)

Emperorsmercy
08-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Quite a good force, possibly not needing the normal CSM squad but overall quite good. One point is that any army with a high rate of fire could probably quite easily destroy this army with its fairly large amount of big things, such as Defilers and Demon Princes.