PDA

View Full Version : Help with Chaos Fluff

Toophat
10-04-2009, 11:42 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little question Ive been having. I want to build a Nurgle/Slaneesh Chaos demons army and was wondering whether that combo was fluffy or not. I know that Slaneesh hates Khorne and Nurgle hates Tzeentch but is there anything stopping Nurgle and Slaneesh from being in the same army.

Sitnam
10-05-2009, 01:14 AM
If you wanted to make a truly fluffy Chaos army, then unless playing an undivided legion I'd stay away from mixing the gods. They all hate each other, but the rivalry of Slaanessh/Khorne and Nurgle/Tzeentch are the biggest rivalries.

Melissia
10-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Not everyone who worships the Dark Powers knows the full extent of that which they worship. Including Chaos Marines (especially the younger ones). It's perfectly reasonable, although I would say don't include a daemon prince in there just to be safe... they would obviously know a lot more than the average cultist.

Nabterayl
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Depends on what the timespan of your force is. Do you want to write a force that exists for a particular moment in time? Or one that exists over many years?

As the daemons codex points out, despite hating each other, all of the gods occasionally find a reason to work together. The fluff doesn't state, for instance, that Slaanesh and Khorne have never worked together.

So if you wanted to create a force that represents a coming-together of Nurglish and Slaaneshi forces for a specific objective at a specific point in history, that could absolutely be "fluffy." You'd have a lot more explaining to do if you want to create a force that represents Nurglish and Slaaneshi forces working together over the past hundred years. As Sitnam points out, over time the Chaos gods only work with themselves. And as Melissia points out, over time cultists come to know more and more of their gods, and become more and more their gods' thralls. Cultists or renegade marines that will end up as Slaaneshi and Nurglish might work together at one point in time, and in a hundred years be too much in their god's thrall to do so again absent extraordinary circumstances.

Limunpai
10-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I personally love the two god combos of Nurgle/Slaanesh as a force of corruption/perversion and Khorne/Tzeentch as a force of change through destruction.

There's no reason to assume that the power of the chaos gods are fully under their control. I'd like to think that a greater deamon in the likeness of both Nurgle and Slaanesh can result from a conflict with each other. This greater deamon could be the head of your particular piece of chaos from which all the rest of your forces come from, or the force that created the greater deamon could still be around spawning lesser daemons.

Another justification is that the warp may have portions of it that aren't controlled by any of the established gods. Your force could come from this section of chaos.

If any of this sounds like heresy to the established canon, that's all the better since you are playing chaos and canon comes almost totally from an imperial perspective.

Make a force that feels right to you and explain it as little or as much as you want.