PDA

View Full Version : How To Make a Dark Elf List

ElectricPaladin
09-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Since I've very nearly decided on Dark Elves as my next Warhammer Fantasy army I've started noodling around with the Dark Elves army book (you can see my previous, mistaken effort with an old version of the book over in the Army Lists forum). I was wondering if anyone out there has any basic beginner's advice on Dark Elves.

I have a couple of questions in particular, though I am interested in general advice as well:

1) Who are the winners and losers of the Dark Elves army book?
2) There seem to be several sub-groups within the Dark Elves - the Khainites, the main army, the elite guard of the noble houses, and the pirates. How well do these factions play together? Should I be making "a corsairs" list or "a Khainite" list? Or can I pick and chose.

Mazelf
09-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Since I've very nearly decided on Dark Elves as my next Warhammer Fantasy army I've started noodling around with the Dark Elves army book (you can see my previous, mistaken effort with an old version of the book over in the Army Lists forum). I was wondering if anyone out there has any basic beginner's advice on Dark Elves.

I have a couple of questions in particular, though I am interested in general advice as well:

1) Who are the winners and losers of the Dark Elves army book?
2) There seem to be several sub-groups within the Dark Elves - the Khainites, the main army, the elite guard of the noble houses, and the pirates. How well do these factions play together? Should I be making "a corsairs" list or "a Khainite" list? Or can I pick and chose.

Personally I think you can pick and choose, there are some nice combos you can work into your lists for example:

(my personal favorite) Dreadlord with a GW, Crown of Command, 1+ AS magic armor (I forget the name), Pendant of Kaeleth riding a pegasus, you can use it to redirect, hunt mages/warmachines or just point at a horde of weak models and laugh

BSB Cauldron of Blood Hag, all of the powers it grants help your army (5+ ws, +1 attack, KB) plus it makes khainate units within 12 inches stubborn (plus that nifty BSB re-roll)

Another nice combo is a unit of Executioners with a BSB and the ASF banner, which makes you hit at Initiative 5, with KB on sixes, str 6, plus you can also give the unit the AP banner for 25 points (special dark elf price)

Units I ALWAYS field are:

Hydras (of course)
2 Units of Dark Riders with xbows and musician
At least one unit of Black Guard (they are the most awesome unit in the whole book IMO)

hope this helps, cheers and have fun!